Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My ASRock fat1lity is fine... 2600x and 3466 MHz memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
How big is the real world difference on a 2600X between $100 standard 16-18-18-38 DDR4-3200 and $160 b-die CL14?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Usually its not huge for most things but sometimes its a big deal. Ryzen1 and 2 really like low latencies.

Benches are for the 2700X there but percentage gains should be similar for a 2600X.

Bang for buck wise some DDR4 2933 with middling latencies is still probably the best value.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crossposting from PC building thread:

teagone posted:

I was reading up/watching videos on how to install the Wraith Stealth cooler before I pick up my Ryzen 3 2200G on Friday, and it seems simple enough. Though, I came across a post in the buildapcsales subreddit showing that the cooler has a clearance issue if mounted in either direction on the motherboard I purchased (MSI B450M Mortar). One way, the nub with the AMD logo catches on the CPU VRM heatsink, and mounted the other way it installs fine, but the AMD logo nub blocks the first RAM slot (that I would eventually like to use). Here's a picture of the Wraith Stealth installed on the B450M Mortar:

I read the fan component of the HSF can be rotated fairly easily so the AMD nub is orientated at the "top" by first removing the shroud that has the nub and then unscrewing the fan from the heatsink. I plan on attempting that, but wanted to ask if anyone here has experience with this process and could maybe give me some advice.

Please tell me this is easily doable :pray:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

teagone posted:

can you just dremel off that dumb nub?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

can you just dremel off that dumb nub?

I mean, yeah I could haha. Is it actually possible to just remove the shroud around the fan with the nub on it though? Looking at photos of the black plastic parts that make up the fan, it seems like it's made of two separate components.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 22, 2018

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Well I took the plunge on Ryzen today. Saw the 129 dollar 1700X deal and decided now was as good a time as any to move away from Intel. Had a 6700K so in terms of ST performance it's a marginal downgrade, but I game at 1440p and 4K so the performance loss should be marginal to none, I'll just let G-Sync handle the few missing frames at 1440p on the 2080 Ti. Decided to move away since upgrading on the Intel path was going to cost way too much as well as being a dead end for upgrading, Intel isn't going to release another gen on Z3XX and I doubt we're seeing any other CPU on there as well. With AM4 I can look forward to support up to Ryzen 3 and I am already planning on immediately upgrading to Ryzen 2 when it comes out next year, between the IPC and clock upgrades it should be a legit 9900k competitor. The comedy of it all is that I can buy a 1700X, Asus Crosshair VII Hero and the upcoming 3700X for about the same cost as the 9900K alone.

Once I get a proper OS reinstall going it'll be time to tweak this thing, it looks like I should be able to get to 3.9ghz all-core on an overclock pretty easily. I do wonder if my RAM will run at it's rated DDR4 3000, it's apparently some Hynix RAM based on its serial information, not the glorious Samsung B-Die that's the most compatible with Ryzen. Hoping the newer X470 Mobos and BIOS' are better at that than the old X370 boards were.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I see no reason why what you're suggesting should not work, Teagone. It seems like something so easy that people just don't bother with making a guide for it. Go for it, try not to break anything that can't be undone, and report back?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Well I took the plunge on Ryzen today. Saw the 129 dollar 1700X deal
Yeah that deal is insane and makes me regret buying my 1600X a little last year. I'm still gonna hold out for Zen2 instead of buying that 1700X. I don't actually need those 2 extra cores, it'd just be nice...

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I do wonder if my RAM will run at it's rated DDR4 3000, it's apparently some Hynix RAM based on its serial information, not the glorious Samsung B-Die that's the most compatible with Ryzen. Hoping the newer X470 Mobos and BIOS' are better at that than the old X370 boards were.
The x4xx mobos all OC the RAM better than the x3xx ones did so you'll probably be OK but if you run into trouble use the app and instructions here and you can make all but the crappiest RAM work at DDR4 3200 speeds on Ryzen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I see no reason why what you're suggesting should not work, Teagone. It seems like something so easy that people just don't bother with making a guide for it. Go for it, try not to break anything that can't be undone, and report back?

Oh I'm already set on tinkering away at the HSF this weekend. It'll be the first thing I do in the building process. Was just wondering/hoping a fellow goon had done this in one of their previous builds for reassurance. I'm confident I won't mess anything up, but if I somehow do, Micro Center's not too far away to pick up a different cooler :haw:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

teagone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8qeLXjiVms&t=73s

It can be done

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah I came across that video, but didn't like that guy's process. He just strong arms the fan screws at an angle when I think you can remove the shroud that partially blocks the screws for easier access. He also ends up with metal shavings on his mainboard from the heatsink which I don't want happening, heh. I plan on trying to rotate the shroud (or just remove it entirely) BEFORE installing the HSF.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The non LED hsf you can remove the fan shroud itself by pulling up on two sides. The LED one has a pcb you need to unscrew from underneath prior to attempting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFYKFIbCTO4&t=54s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

The non LED hsf you can remove the fan shroud itself by pulling up on two sides. The LED one has a pcb you need to unscrew from underneath prior to attempting this.

This is exactly the video I needed to see. Thanks! :respek:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Beautiful Ninja posted:

With AM4 I can look forward to support up to Ryzen 3 and I am already planning on immediately upgrading to Ryzen 2 when it comes out next year, between the IPC and clock upgrades it should be a legit 9900k competitor. The comedy of it all is that I can buy a 1700X, Asus Crosshair VII Hero and the upcoming 3700X for about the same cost as the 9900K alone.

You’re jumping to conclusions about sockets that we’ve talked about here before, but yes if you buy all that stuff it costs as much as the i9, but the future fourth-gen Ryzen you’re banking on will probably compete with the i9. So you can spend all that slowly over years and eventually get there, or spend an arm and a leg and get there now.

I wouldn’t buy an i9 either but it’s not THAT overpriced relative to it’s position against the competition.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Betting on Ryzen three is a bit too speculative, imo.

I think when people get a cheaper Ryzen CPU, they are indicating they don't feel the need for the single core performance, or can't afford it now. It's also easier to cool, since it uses less wattage than a high end Intel and comes with a fan. It also may be the case that one doesn't actually need to upgrade for a few more years.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 22, 2018

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Craptacular! posted:

future fourth-gen Ryzen you’re banking on will probably compete with the i9. So you can spend all that slowly over years and eventually get there, or spend an arm and a leg and get there now.
Ryzen4 (Zen2+ or whatever they call it) will be AM4 compatible though so all he'll need to get is the new CPU.

Craptacular! posted:

I wouldn’t buy an i9 either but it’s not THAT overpriced relative to it’s position against the competition.
Sure it is. You'll easily blow 50%+ more money for ~12% more performance. Top of the market is always priced silly of course but still.

LRADIKAL posted:

I think when people get a cheaper Ryzen CPU
Or that the price difference isn't worth it for what frequently are unnoticeable performance differences outside of synth benches.

And yeah its speculative since all we have are leaks at this point and not quality 3rd party benches but at this point its fairly reasonable to believe Ryzen3 will at least go toe to toe with Intel's best.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
AMD promising to support AM4 through 2020 is pretty awesome, but my big fear is whether motherboard manufacturers will fully cooperate. Like if a hypothetical X670 comes out in 2020 for Zen 3, how many manufacturers will update their X370 boards and how many will treat them as EOL by that point?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think its even so much as a promise as it is a "hey this DDR5 thing is coming along and since we need a new socket for that anyways..."

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Space Racist posted:

but my big fear is whether motherboard manufacturers will fully cooperate.
The mobo OEM's did a pretty good job supporting AM3+, often even supporting AM3 CPU's on that socket, and all its various CPU's for a long time. FM2 and FM2+ were around for a decent stretch too and saw good support as well.

Obviously past history is no guarantee of future results but its not unreasonable to expect a similar degree of support over time for AM4 from the mobo OEM's.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 22, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The mobo OEM's did a pretty good job supporting AM3+, often even supporting AM3 CPU's on that socket, and all its various CPU's for a long time. FM2 and FM2+ were around for a decent stretch too and saw good support as well.

Obviously past history is no guarantee of future results but its not unreasonable to expect a similar degree of support over time for AM4 from the mobo OEM's.

More so now that AMD is on the up and up it seems like.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
mother of god 1950x is down to $410

https://slickdeals.net/f/12323161-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-16-core-32-threads-desktop-processor-410-free-s-h?src=frontpage

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

When Ryzen2 Threadripper is superceded, I'm going to pick one up and sit on it for 5 years.

eames
May 9, 2009

Seamonster posted:

mother of god 1950x is down to $410

I've seen the 12-core + motherboard on sale for less than a 9900K here (EU), except the TR is actually available. Quite remarkable.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Or that the price difference isn't worth it for what frequently are unnoticeable performance differences outside of synth benches.

Yeah when you include the cost of a CPU cooler it's almost double going from a Ryzen 2600 to a 9600k or a Ryzen 2700X to a 9900k, I wouldn't go for that unless I really wanted 120Hz+ gaming or just had a lot of expendable income.

Even with an i5-8400 you're looking at 5% extra 1080p gaming performance for over $100 more cost vs a R5 2600.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 23, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RAM question.

I have a Ryzen 5 1400 with 8gb of ddr4-3200.

Amazon has 16gb of ddr4-3000 on sale today.

If I mostly do VR type stuff is it better to have more, but slightly slower memory, or less, but slightly faster memory? Will it run the faster memory st the slower speed if I leave both types in there? 24gb is tempting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Another RAM question. I purchased 2x8GB of Corsair DDR4-3200 RAM and looking at the modules, they are version 5.32. A quick search shows that means they're SK Hynix C-Die and looking at my mainboard's QVL (MSI B450M Mortar), they're on the list for Pinnacle Ridge CPUs to run at 3200MHz, but not Raven Ridge APUs. I have a Ryzen 3 2200G APU. I still should be able to run the RAM at full 3200MHz, right? Motherboard is being delivered later today, that's why I can't test it yet heh.

[edit]

Risky Bisquick posted:

Also, this was a lot easier than I expected. The shroud literally just pops off. I did this with the HSF still in its plastic holder. Now the AMD logo sits properly up top :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 23, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

RAM question.

I have a Ryzen 5 1400 with 8gb of ddr4-3200.

Amazon has 16gb of ddr4-3000 on sale today.

If I mostly do VR type stuff is it better to have more, but slightly slower memory, or less, but slightly faster memory? Will it run the faster memory st the slower speed if I leave both types in there? 24gb is tempting

It is harder to run 4 banks of dimms on the ryzen memory controller. You will have to see where it ends up, i think something like 2666 or 2933 might be possible.

teagone posted:

Another RAM question. I purchased 2x8GB of Corsair DDR4-3200 RAM and looking at the modules, they are version 5.32. A quick search shows that means they're SK Hynix C-Die and looking at my mainboard's QVL (MSI B450M Mortar), they're on the list for Pinnacle Ridge CPUs to run at 3200MHz, but not Raven Ridge APUs. I have a Ryzen 3 2200G APU. I still should be able to run the RAM at full 3200MHz, right? Motherboard is being delivered later today, that's why I can't test it yet heh.
[edit]
Also, this was a lot easier than I expected. The shroud literally just pops off. I did this with the HSF still in its plastic holder.

YMMV on Ryzen, I run Hynix 3200 chips at 2933 with a 1700@3.9 all core.

Enjoy the properly oriented facing cooler :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We’ll see where I wind up. I ordered the kit since $99 is a really good deal for 16gb

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

YMMV on Ryzen, I run Hynix 3200 chips at 2933 with a 1700@3.9 all core.

Enjoy the properly oriented facing cooler :v:

In the process of building. Booted into BIOS just now, set XMP Profile 2, changed frequency to DDR4-3200, rebooted, and my RAM is running at 3200MHz. DRAM Voltage is Auto, fluctuating between 1.364V and 1.368V, mostly staying on the latter... is that ok?

[edit] Nevermind, manually changed it to 1.350V in the settings and voltage now at 1.344V :haw:

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 23, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ugggh, I want a 2970wx so bad. Running "make -j48" would be so nice.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I’m gonna wait until zen 2 comes out and fixes all the bad poo poo around memory and hopefully has good high end itx boards with such creature comforts like “usb type c” in tyool 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the high end Asrock mitx board has it, and all the other trimmings from what I can tell (USB 3.1G2, ALC1220 sound, Intel LAN+Wifi etc)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Zen+ and x4xx pretty much did fix all the bad poo poo about memory. The various BIOS updates have also largely mitigated the memory issues even with the original Zen and the x3xx platfrom.

Getting to DDR4 3200 is no longer hard anymore and CL16 DDR4 3200 for Zen/Zen+ is no longer all the expensive anymore or hard to find although CL14 DDR4 3200 is still pricey.

Now if you want DDR4 3600+, particularly at low latency (ie. CL16) needed to make the any difference at all over DDR4 3200 low latency RAM*, sure that is still difficult on Zen+ and incredibly difficult if not near impossible on Zen (although that Ryzen DRAM calc can help lots). But there doesn't seem to be much benefit past DDR4 3466 low latency RAM on Zen/Zen+ and even past DDR4 3200 (really they kick in past DDR4 3000, that will still get you ~90% of the benefit of DDR4 3200) low latency RAM the benefits are well into steeply diminishing returns for lots more money.

*CL17-18 DDR4 3600 frequently actually benches worse than CL14 DDR4 3200, CL16 DDR4 3600 is only sliiiightly better than CL14 DDR4 3200

https://imgur.com/a/e9B8Pan

less than 1% difference on average going by that

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I paid $120 shipped for my Corsair 2x8GB DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM. Just had to do some BIOS stuff to get it running at its rated speeds. Feelsgoodman.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If I wasn't on a 8700K already I would have jumped on Newegg's 1700X + X370 for $150 so hard.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Quick chipset question: I am thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600.

Purpose:
PC for gaming at 1080p (and 1440p maybe later), single GPU (rx480 8gb currently), currently i have 3 Sata drives and I want to replace 1 of them with an M2 SSD at some point.

If I don't want to do any overclocking and don't need extra frills, I concluded the B450 chipset is probably for me. Correct?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Technically it would be. But apparently the B450 boards aren't built (although I'm sure that's being way overblown again) as well as the good X470 ones. Since they also don't save you much or any money, I'd go with the X470.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

B450 is fine, and make sure XFR2 is enabled in BIOS. Your CPU will overclock itself based on thermal headroom.

E: if prices are about the same for B450 or X470, Orcane has a good point. Probably super depends on where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

NewFatMike posted:

B450 is fine, and make sure XFR2 is enabled in BIOS. Your CPU will overclock itself based on thermal headroom.

E: if prices are about the same for B450 or X470, Orcane has a good point. Probably super depends on where you are.

XFR2 is an X chip feature. Many B450 boards are fine. Some are not. But fine is usually determined by “running a 2700X with substantial OC.”