Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

Powder 7 in Golden would be your best bet probably

Do they sell snowboard stuff too, or just ski? I am not seeing any snowboard stuff on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Do they sell snowboard stuff too, or just ski? I am not seeing any snowboard stuff on their site.

I believe only ski gear.

Online is your best bet. Epic gear had a coupon right now for some amount off if you want to go in person.

You could call Evo and see if they have anything but doubtful.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Also I am selling a Jones Solution split 154 if anyone is interested. It is 2 seasons old and in really good shape. Looking for $500.

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/jones-solution-split-154/6753375376.html

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Rime posted:

Selkirk Tangiers went to pot when they sold the outfit to RMR back during the pie-in-the-sky days just after the resort opened. I don't blame them for cashing out, because everyone in town did (houses went from $70k to $700k in 12 months, it was insane), but drat its like RMR was some kind of monkeys paw which poo poo on everything it touched if you didn't immediately gtfo in '07-'08.

Selkirk tangiers does the same thing mica does, which is promote themselves heavily through ski vids to trustfundies

the main side effect is that you get a lot of kids who think it'll be an awesome experience and get their parents to shell out for ripoff day skiing

If i was in revelstoke with about 2.5k to spend on skiing (the cost of 2 nights hotel, 1 day day-heli for 2 people), I'd spend it on something like 3 days touring with a guide, or even a heli-drop/tour back to the highway combo thing

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Hi Snow thread! My early season Jackson Hole trip and new years Killington trips last season were both a success. This year I'm planning a Colorado trip in early Feb. My friend has access to a cheap condo in Keystone so that's where we'll be staying. We're planning to stay for a week and ski 3 to 4 days, the other days will be spent at dispensaries, breweries, distilleries and bars. I've never been to CO before and I'm open to suggestions on pretty much everything, that's why I'm here to ask the experts in this thread. We were planning to split up our slope days at different resorts, we were thinking Breck, Beaver Creek and Vail. But if you guys had only 3 days to ski in this general area, which resorts would you hit? Are there any can't miss spots we should be checking out when we're not on the slopes? And we were thinking we would need a rental to get around, but how feasible is Ubering everywhere?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uber is not feasible up there, especially to get to the skiing. I am not a huge Vail fan and I ski a lot of keystone, I like Beaver Creek, neck is good but not fun when it is really windy. Most of the breweries are kinda meh, broken compass being the best imo. There is a new one in frisco that I hear good things about though. A-cafe is a great spot for food. There is a free bus system as well but a car is useful. Also do you have an epic or epic 4 day pass? That will be cheaper than day passes. You might consider a copper day depending on your pass situation.

E: if you are there the weekend of the 8th I will be riding solo that weekend and could be down to meet up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm of the opinion if you're going to be in the Summit area and you've never been you pretty much have to see Vail and Breck, they have the biggest towns to walk around in after and the Vail back bowls are just huge. People who are too cool for school will tell you to go elsewhere because people dislike Vail buying everything up and the affluent crowd but for sheer size and towns for drinking after, neither can be beat.

But really you can't go wrong with just about anything in the Summit. If you're good you should go to A-Basin, it's unique.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah Outer Range in Frisco is super good. Pro move is getting pizza at the whole foods across the parking lot

E there honestly isn't that much to see at Vail, in terms of the village. It's all whitewashed with super premium retail and lodging. I can count on one hand probably the number of decent places within walking distance of the lifts.

The riding is alright, but there are an obscene number of catwalks. There's several areas I like skiing at Vail, but overall the Beav skis a lot better.

Best town in Summit and Eagle definitely goes to Breck

Eejit fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 21, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was looking at Open Snow and it looks like it's gonna be a great few weeks of snow in California

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Thanks for the info guys. We're thinking Feb 5-12 at this point. How much worse are crowds on weekends? 4 day epic pass looks like the best deal by far.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

The Glumslinger posted:

I was looking at Open Snow and it looks like it's gonna be a great few weeks of snow in California

yeah, but it's really early so the base is quite low

march with a bit of fresh snow/winds vs november with a lot of fresh snow is no contest

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thinking really hard about flying to Denver for the Icelantic Ice on the Rocks festival. It's on my birthday & one of my favorite acts of all time is on the bill (De La Soul) and none of the other artists suck (Atmosphere, Living Legends & Watsky).

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://vimeo.com/301579596

(not me obviously)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

th3t00t posted:

Thanks for the info guys. We're thinking Feb 5-12 at this point. How much worse are crowds on weekends? 4 day epic pass looks like the best deal by far.

The weekends are super awful during Feb due to Denver day trippers. If you have any weekend days as part of your trip, make that your Beaver Creek or Vail day(s)

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Thinking really hard about flying to Denver for the Icelantic Ice on the Rocks festival. It's on my birthday & one of my favorite acts of all time is on the bill (De La Soul) and none of the other artists suck (Atmosphere, Living Legends & Watsky).

as ur lawyer i advise u 2 do it

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Eejit posted:

The weekends are super awful during Feb due to Denver day trippers.

:whatup:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

there honestly isn't that much to see at Vail, in terms of the village. It's all whitewashed with super premium retail and lodging. I can count on one hand probably the number of decent places within walking distance of the lifts.

The George is the only place we stop at on the way out of Vail.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rode my new split today, put a core shot in my new split today......................... Fixable but drat it sucks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat that sucks. Was it a low coverage issue?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Local mountain, Mt. Hood meadows, is doing a "preview day" tomorrow. They will have the beginners lift open from 11-4. And that is it. They have about a foot of snow, maybe foot and a half. I imagine it will be an amazing shitshow. Lift has about 100 feet vertical.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

drat that sucks. Was it a low coverage issue?

Coverage was good actually. Oh well. Nothing a little base weld can't fix. Buy them to use them and all that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hi ski friends! Glad for all of you that have been out already.

Got my passes sorted for Lake Louise and Sunshine, now to find a cheap pair of rock skis

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Watching the GS from Killington, midway through the second run. Please gods of skiing let Ragnhild Mowinckel defend her lead! Looks like there's very good conditions there.

e: a great 2nd behind an absolutely superhuman Brignone.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 24, 2018

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Made it up to Alta for day 2, and it’s a crazy rear end whiteout day with winds near 40 mph at the ridge. Only lifts open are Collins and Wildcat, the blue and black lifts on the fun but crazy side of the mountain.

Did one totally insane get-my-my-bearings-hope-I-dont-blow-out-my-knee run on the hardest run I did last year (after 7 months of not skiing, and because it was basically the easiest way down), ran down a bunch of ungroomed powder with maybe 75 feet of visibility, got my groove back a bit near the end, and am now sacked out in the lodge, waiting out the crazy rear end blizzardy conditions so I can drive my FWD golf wagon down the mountain.

Fun times all around: glad I have a season pass to get my second full season in with a LOT of skiing, and I’m glad my first run was basically quintessential Alta.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
brignone brignone give me the formuoli

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Finished my first camp at Panorama and Sun Peaks. I had forgotten what it's like to be cold down to your bones.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Another fantastic powder day. Another core shot, this time on my skis... It is funny that conditions are excellent with good coverage, just bad luck. I have never had such legit damage in 29 years of riding. At least the skiing was fantastic.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Found a lot of late afternoon powder at Breck, will do again tomorrow morning.

I70 is apparently a parking lot, no one drive on it (emergency shelter open in Frisco).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

I70 is apparently a parking lot, no one drive on it (emergency shelter open in Frisco).

Yeah, so glad I got a place up in Dillon..... Our friends just made it out in time.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m reading CDOT twitter, what caused all the issues? Or are we officially at “literally closing I-70 every time it snows…because too much humans”?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I’m reading CDOT twitter, what caused all the issues? Or are we officially at “literally closing I-70 every time it snows…because too much humans”?

It was snowing a lot and very heavily. It was also very windy. Our friends who made it out said they passed 25 cars just f-ed up to the tunnels. People don't take snow tires and driving safely very seriously realistically. It is very bad out though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

It was snowing a lot and very heavily. It was also very windy.

So, a blizzard?

We turned a corner in 2005(ish) when CDOT got raked over the coals for a particularly bad storm. Dozens of cars had to be rescued coming up to the tunnel, and everyone blamed them. Before the truth got out that most of the cars had bald tires or were otherwise unequipped to be up there, the narrative was already set. Prior to that their stance had basically been “well keep the roads as clean as possible, the rest is up to you.” After that it feels like they’ve basically been required to hold drivers’ hands and close 70 at the drop of a hat.

FWIW I’ve lived in Denver for basically my entire life. I have never run snow tires, but believe strongly in the power of the shovel, AWD, and not going up to the high country if you don’t know what the hell you’re doing.

e: In an effort not to come off super surly, I’m not sure what else CDOT is supposed to do. You put enough people on the roads and this is basically what you get eventually anyway. Guess it’s time to buy that place in the high country.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 25, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yes, underfunded C-Dot is not the problem. People who bring the wrong vehicles with terrible tires and "must" get back to Denver are.

Also snow tires do make a huge difference even with AWD. A Subaru with snow tires is a beast.

E: yeah, I have no idea how people day trip from Denver. After 4 years of having a place I can't imagine going back.

E2: the real solution to the road issue is when the traction law is in effect the m they have check points and you can't go past if you don't meet the requirements.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 25, 2018

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2413130965381674&id=402253366469454

Apparently that's why it was closed up to the tunnel today. Not exactly a CDOT choice thing and more of a removal of wrecked vehicles thing.

Honestly they just need to up the fines for ignoring traction and chain law. You simply must have snow tires with a tread or you're going to wreck in conditions like today. All it would take would be a few articles in the Denver Post from people crying about 2000 dollar fines for breaking traction law and it would fix that part of the problem mighty fast. Traveling through high mountain passes in the middle of a snowstorm is a privilege, not a right.

In better news, Snowmass skied super well today. I was basically able to ski identical lines back to back and they'd be fresh, that was the amount of snow and wind effect we had.

Then I got greedy and took one of the last Big Burn chairs and got caught with wind slows/stops in an exposed section with high winds and dropping temps, but it was worth it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I went up to Vail a few years back Enterprise specifically didn't have any cars available with winter tires. We had lovely summer tires, one huge storm, and the fact that we came from a different winter resort and actually know how to drive in snow is basically the only reason we weren't in the ditch with our Chevy Impala. At one point we passed like literally 30 cars in the ditch on the drive between Vail and Copper. They closed the highway just behind us one of the days.

It's the same problem here. Rental companies don't want to shell out for winter tires, so they put lovely all-seasons on all the cars so that they're technically legal (at least here, I don't know about CO), but they're in no universe good enough tires to make it up a mountain road in a huge storm safely.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

E: yeah, I have no idea how people day trip from Denver. After 4 years of having a place I can't imagine going back.

It's dumb, but at least I don't have to do it on weekends. That helps a ton. I'd still prefer to have a seasonal condo, but with my schedule it isn't terrible outside of the 2 hours minimum each way thing.

Snow tires are a must for winter driving in the mountains. I bought them specifically for my trips out here when I lived in KC. I consider them a luxury anywhere else because they aren't cheap but you can't really skimp on them if you're into winter sports.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, Whistler has a new gondola this year which is balls and was stupid and isn't going to be finished until mid-December at the earliest, but replaces the old wizard chair and solar coaster chair. They have called it the "Blackcomb Gondola Express" so far. The only problem is, the existing blackcomb gondola has a giant sign going across the entrance reading "BLACKCOMB GONDOLA". So they essentially named both gondolas the same thing.

Anyway, in one of the local FB groups today someone suggested calling the new gondola "Gandalf the Gondola" (because of the old wizard chair) and if that doesn't happen I will be supremely disappointed.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I too support Gandalf the Gondola

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If anyone can afford the licensing rights it would be Vail. Great name though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Bilirubin posted:

Got my passes sorted for Lake Louise and Sunshine, now to find a cheap pair of rock skis

What are you looking for