Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Takoluka posted:

MB, at the very least, openly dislikes the creepy sexual-assaulty stuff in anime, as he's mentioned quite a bit in his SAO stuff, so I imagine he has standards and morals that a lot of anitubers just toss aside for their audiences.
He criticizes it in shows he already actively dislikes and ones where plausible deniability has been stripped away. This is the same for Super Eyepatch Wolf. They still don't both for any of the shows they like where the author isn't publicly pro-pedophilia. They have both recommended plenty of creepy pedo anime without a single peep of warning in other occasions. Like if you're willing to look past that on both of them that's your call, but don't pretend they're somehow safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

He criticizes it in shows he already actively dislikes and ones where plausible deniability has been stripped away. This is the same for Super Eyepatch Wolf. They still don't both for any of the shows they like where the author isn't publicly pro-pedophilia. They have both recommended plenty of creepy pedo anime without a single peep of warning in other occasions. Like if you're willing to look past that on both of them that's your call, but don't pretend they're somehow safe.

I mean, by the sound of it, there are literally no safe anituber reviewers, so I guess I'm willing to take the lesser of whatever evils are out there.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Anti-anime bias confirmed once again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjrMK6FG4WE

Not recommending this or anything as it literally just came up on my subscriptions and it's only some UK YouTube donk but it's amazing just how many YT videos I see on the feeds that bring up nowt but the simple one-word reaction of "....why?"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Takoluka posted:

I mean, by the sound of it, there are literally no safe anituber reviewers, so I guess I'm willing to take the lesser of whatever evils are out there.
As said before Bennett's fine, same with Jake. I haven't watched Gigguk so no judgement to be passed yet. Clemps is mostly fine but makes being a sex weirdo a part of his whole shtick akin to Jim Sterling.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kim Justice posted:

it's amazing just how many YT videos I see on the feeds that bring up nowt but the simple one-word reaction of "....why?"
I mean you clicked. ;)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My youtube feed right now is 90% musically/tik tok cringe videos. You watch one thing and it infects your entire feed. I just clicked TLJ trailer to check a date so I'm pretty sure I'll start seeing TLJ IS SJWFEMANAZI GARBAGE vids soon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

My youtube feed right now is 90% musically/tik tok cringe videos. You watch one thing and it infects your entire feed. I just clicked TLJ trailer to check a date so I'm pretty sure I'll start seeing TLJ IS SJWFEMANAZI GARBAGE vids soon.

There is no reason to look at anything other than your subscriptions page on youtube

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Zedd posted:

I mean you clicked. ;)

Oh no I didnae, just saw it in my subs - I'm subbed to Callux, but then I'm subscribed to like, probably over 400 accounts by this point lol. (He's a cool guy, I guess. He's part of the big UK YouTube group that includes KSI/The Sidemen and all of that lot and I like to keep eyes on what they're doing!...and yeah, I watch their videos on occasion. On occasion being often.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OK since people don't seem to know this, I am going to tell you how you can clean your recs up a bit without just deleting your entire watch history. There's two things you can do:

First option, go to History, find the offending video, and hover over the title. A little X will appear. Click it, and Youtube will forget you ever watched that poo poo.

Second option, on the Recommended page, hover over the title to any videos you don't want, and click the menu dots that appear.

Click "Not Interested." This will get that poo poo off your recs. You have the option of clicking "TELL US WHY," which gives you some extra options.

Also for just chuddy types, you can use HBomberguy's Censorship Addon (at least on Chrome, IDK if it's available for anything else) and almost never see them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Couple of things:

1) S Club Party is such a catchy song that I can't dislike it.
2) The Joe Rogan episode with Jake The Snake was fantastic. The man has so many great stories and I think Rogan is gaining a bit of an appreciation for wrestlers after already having DDP on (And say what you want about that carny, but the dude is doing a lot of good).

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

OK since people don't seem to know this, I am going to tell you how you can clean your recs up a bit without just deleting your entire watch history. There's two things you can do:

First option, go to History, find the offending video, and hover over the title. A little X will appear. Click it, and Youtube will forget you ever watched that poo poo.

Second option, on the Recommended page, hover over the title to any videos you don't want, and click the menu dots that appear.

Click "Not Interested." This will get that poo poo off your recs. You have the option of clicking "TELL US WHY," which gives you some extra options.

Also for just chuddy types, you can use HBomberguy's Censorship Addon (at least on Chrome, IDK if it's available for anything else) and almost never see them.

There is also a Firefox add-on that lets you completely block channels from ever showing up again too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Old Swerdlow posted:

There is also a Firefox add-on that lets you completely block channels from ever showing up again too.

Got a link to that one?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am fully convinced that Youtube’s “Stop recommending this poo poo” button is just a placebo and doesn’t actually change what it recommends to you

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Got a link to that one?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-blocker/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

I am fully convinced that Youtube’s “Stop recommending this poo poo” button is just a placebo and doesn’t actually change what it recommends to you

I think the problem is there are so many tags and poo poo that it can’t completely get rid of them. Especially since there are so many channels that produce the same poo poo.

A better system would be nice but YouTube is lazy as gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And there's the mega channels or the channels owned by businesses or interest groups that throw millions of dollars at YouTube to get their videos recommended to everybody. These are usually shilling for ad revenue or are provided by crazy right wing fuckers.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

I've had pretty good experiences with it in most cases, but that's in conjunction with deleting the occasional video from my history

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDkgQNaHW4
Lupa looks into a well of Bruce Campbell glory that I am only now remembering, like there was some lock on my brain that has been opened. I remember this show, and it is crazy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Puppy Time posted:

I've had pretty good experiences with it in most cases, but that's in conjunction with deleting the occasional video from my history

Yeah I guess I just avoid most of the dreck entirely to begin with, 'cause aside from the occasional bad recommendation, I mostly just get stuff like "you watched so-and-so? well how about this 8 year old let's play they did??". Often I end up using it as a way to soft-subscribe to certain channels.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Augus posted:

I use it quite heavily and it does work outside of advertising campaigns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lupa looks into a well of Bruce Campbell glory that I am only now remembering, like there was some lock on my brain that has been opened. I remember this show, and it is crazy.

Great show. It's DVD set is next to The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. Another Bruce Campbell TV show that got cancelled before its time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fantastic. Thank you. Hopefully this will curtail YouTube's obsessive need to remind me that Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a CINEMATIC FAILURE!!!!! [LAURA DERN'S FACE HERE].

Actually no, it doesn't even work. lol

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 22, 2018

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Mr.Radar posted:

Leon Thomas/Renegade Cut posted a 5-minute teaser for his upcoming 4-part, 3+ hour examination of the DCEU and its place in the online cultural discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY9ysCHW4KA

ngl, I'm looking forward to this. His videos on Ready Player One and Left Behind are extremely good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hell yeah, I remember that one! It used to be a double-feature with Cleopatra 2525, about which I don't remember anything other than it starring Gina Torres.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Not recommending this or anything as it literally just came up on my subscriptions and it's only some UK YouTube donk but it's amazing just how many YT videos I see on the feeds that bring up nowt but the simple one-word reaction of "....why?"

Scrubbing through this video, I flashed-back to when I watched Epic Meal Time's Fast Food Lasaga video six years ago. I thought that was appalling at the time, but compared to this, the Epic Meal Time video not only had more effort (and possibly money) put into it, but they actually ate the food.

And before you say, "you clicked on the Epic Meal Time video", the reason I saw it then was because a co-worker showed it to me.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Fantastic. Thank you. Hopefully this will curtail YouTube's obsessive need to remind me that Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a CINEMATIC FAILURE!!!!! [LAURA DERN'S FACE HERE].

Actually no, it doesn't even work. lol

Hmm, that's odd. There's also a wildcard setting that you can use to block any video with a title containing any text you don't want. It's how I've stopped any video about Overwatch from showing up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrKJrW83-C0

This movie sounds incredible and you're making me want to see it, Mr. Olson.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yeah, it seems very in the mold of King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword, which had a fight in a medieval Roman London kung fu academy and Arthur doing gang poo poo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ghostlight posted:

Never has for me and I wish it would.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

There’s a weirdly large number of “Eat a lot of food/eat it quickly” channels.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Ghostlight posted:

Due to my geographic location I really weird recommendations and there's nothing I can do about it.
I use a computer in an area that is trending towards a lot of illegal streams of Bollywood movies, cricket, and Turkish TV, so that's what youtube recommends.

still better than rightwing dreck.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The Nerd looks at the Amiga CD32 which was even worse than I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqRz64eQD4

But Nerd has bad things to say about Super Putty so now I can never watch his videos again.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

KayTee posted:

But Nerd has bad things to say about Super Putty so now I can never watch his videos again.

I enjoyed this video for the most part, but stuff like Kim's documentaries have really spoiled me. The AVGN's only goes wafer-thin into the history of the Commodore/Amiga (and that's OK, different type of show after all) but the CD32 was not the reason for the downfall of Commodore. And there were plenty of good games for it, it's just that they were all A1200 games put on a CD.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

There’s a weirdly large number of “Eat a lot of food/eat it quickly” channels.

Is there a lot of views and ad revenue that comes along with it? Cause if thats the case I can just turn on a camera whenever I have dinner.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Leal posted:

Is there a lot of views and ad revenue that comes along with it? Cause if thats the case I can just turn on a camera whenever I have dinner.

If you have a camera already, then there is no financial loss in doing it. If you get even one cent of ad money, you made some money.Of course, the loss you do have may not be financial

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KayTee posted:

I'd never heard of that console before, but now I guess I can see why. Maybe I saw the ads but mentally put them as some other system I wasn't going to buy, like the Jaguar or something.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Bad Wolf posted:

I enjoyed this video for the most part, but stuff like Kim's documentaries have really spoiled me. The AVGN's only goes wafer-thin into the history of the Commodore/Amiga (and that's OK, different type of show after all) but the CD32 was not the reason for the downfall of Commodore. And there were plenty of good games for it, it's just that they were all A1200 games put on a CD.

Yeah, and by that point most major game studios had given up on the Amiga as a platform so a lot of the releases he reviewed in that video were there kind of stuff that would have been forgettable shareware on the PC. Not that that should excuse them from being criticized as commercial releases (since they were) but I can't help but feel a bit odd seeing that type of software getting the full Nerd treatment.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 22, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Lindsey has been re-uploading her Nostalgia Chick videos due to fan demand and recently the Smurfette Principle popped up which I think is important to acknowledge as AFAIK it's the first one where she begins to pivot towards 'proper' textual analogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTo8-gRHHLA

It also inspired an early FemFreq video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opM3T2__lZA

So:

These videos are nostalgic now. Huh.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

KayTee posted:

Hey man, I had to watch him dump on Mega Man Legends, and I pulled through. :colbert:

On to another topic, who here's a fan of FF XIV?

Well, Rock Paper Shotgun put out an article the other day where one of the writers attended the Las Vegas convention, and it's not gone over well.

One of the points of contention:

quote:

New suburbs full of houses have since soothed demand, and there are other measures to help keep the housing market healthy. If you don’t log in for 30 days, for example, your home will be repossessed. However, it remains a problem, say these players.

This isn’t the only smudge of reality to mark the fantastic realm. Players are also running brothels in-game, as Kotaku reported last year. There are pubs and homes populated with scantily clad cat girls selling naughty words to johns, and making creative use of emotes to get busy.

“Huuuhh!?” says director Naoki Yoshida when I ask about this during a press Q and A. He seems surprised, but it’s hard to believe the creators of the game aren’t aware of this most MMO of player behaviours. I just want to know the studio’s position on cybersex for gil. Do they quietly discourage this kind of thing? Or are they happy to turn a blind eye to this erotic role playing?

https://twitter.com/jes8965/status/1065448534089113600
https://twitter.com/ShinGokaiRed/status/1065477026335752192

Apparently, it was bad enough to get his press pass revoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I love how this thread has become the after party for the now-closed gaming journalism thread. [/sarcasm]