Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BGrifter posted:

Scooped a Pro Controller for $49.99 CAD (MSRP is $89.99 here) from Walmart. Now I just have to wait till tomorrow for the Switch itself!

*stares longingly at the Pro Controller box*

It wont work with pokemon so i hope you have other plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Real hurthling! posted:

It wont work with pokemon so i hope you have other plans

Wait... what?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BGrifter posted:

Wait... what?

The Aristocrats except the punchline is Nintendo

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Heath posted:

Why do I always give this dumb terrible company money?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BGrifter posted:

Wait... what?

Outside of handheld mode, pokemon only recognizes a single joycon used like a wiimote, or the pokeball contoller that functions the same way. In handheld mode it recognizes the full controller.

Better buy mario or another game or your pro is just a paperweight

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doesn't the Pro controller have the full set of motion controls? Why would they do that?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i bet their excuse is that the pro controller doesn't have wrist straps

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Please Don't Touch Anything was a cool game that I'm going to rebuy on Switch

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Pokémon Go Evee and Pikachu edition are not for professionals, but amateurs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Real hurthling! posted:

Outside of handheld mode, pokemon only recognizes a single joycon used like a wiimote, or the pokeball contoller that functions the same way. In handheld mode it recognizes the full controller.

Better buy mario or another game or your pro is just a paperweight

I’ll probably return the Pro Controller after work. If the Switch is this much of a shitshow I’ll just put off buying the console entirely.

Yikes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BGrifter posted:

I’ll probably return the Pro Controller after work. If the Switch is this much of a shitshow I’ll just put off buying the console entirely.

Yikes.

lol, it's one game weirdo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Nah, the pad is good, only Pokémon Go and Twewy go full retard on control gimmicks.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

BGrifter posted:

Yikes.

It's a stupid loving decision to not support it with that game. But the Pro Controller is loving awesome and great for everything I've used it for. Feels good, man.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is Super Burger Time just Burger Time with fancy graphics or is it completely insane like Heavy Burger? Also has there been any news about My Friend, Pedro recently?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heath posted:

Capitalist Nintendogs.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pokémon Let's GO is designed to be played right out of the gate with one JoyCon for each player. The Pokéball Plus basically has a single control stick and 3 buttons, not unlike a single JoyCon. It's just a design philosophy, and I don't understand why people complain that the game is too easy but also impossible to play without the Pro Controller.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Brother Entropy posted:

lol, it's one game weirdo

It’s a close to a one game console to me, so I’ll just wait till more games I care about come out. :shrug:

It was an impulse buy after seeing how positive the response to Let’s Go has been. I’m sure I’ll buy one eventually when we get a main series Pokémon title.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

BGrifter posted:

Yikes.

Nah the Switch is the best console Nintendo has put out in years, although it sounds like you might not be cool enough to own one.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I'm just saying, you seem like a real square, heh.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Pokémon Let's GO is designed to be played right out of the gate with one JoyCon for each player. The Pokéball Plus basically has a single control stick and 3 buttons, not unlike a single JoyCon. It's just a design philosophy, and I don't understand why people complain that the game is too easy but also impossible to play without the Pro Controller.

Yeah why would people want to play the game with their more comfortable pro controller?

also it's not like having pokemon break out of your throws slightly more often really makes the game harder

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's funny, but whenever I finally end up getting a Switch, I'm primarily going to be playing Minecraft and Skyrim on it :shobon: Maybe DOOM. I'll still get Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and MK8 Deluxe, but I just really want to play those first two on-the-go.

Does the Pro Controller do gyro?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's funny, but whenever I finally end up getting a Switch, I'm primarily going to be playing Minecraft and Skyrim on it :shobon: Maybe DOOM. I'll still get Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and MK8 Deluxe, but I just really want to play those first two on-the-go.

Does the Pro Controller do gyro?

It does

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sweet sassy molassy, that's great!

I'm hoping RE4 has gyro aiming. I play it on Steam with the Steam controller and gyro aiming works so incredibly well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Takoluka posted:

In the pokemon thread someone mentioned that a disabled friend of theirs couldn't do motion controls very well and the switch is a bit heavy to hold for long periods of time, making the pro controller their best option. Accessibility is a good thing and every game should stick to work with as much as it can

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sweet sassy molassy, that's great!

I'm hoping RE4 has gyro aiming. I play it on Steam with the Steam controller and gyro aiming works so incredibly well.

I can't wait to buy RE4 yet again

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

mandatory lesbian posted:

In the pokemon thread someone mentioned that a disabled friend of there's couldn't do motion controls very well and the switch is a bit heavy to hold for long periods of time, making the pro controller they're best option. Accessibility is a good thing and every game should stick to work with as much as it can

I agree that it is not an ideal situation, especially for disabled players. They'll maybe patch in some other support options once they get some real user feedback. However, to sit there and say that not being able to use the Pro controller for one game is Switch ruining is kinda ridiculous.

I guarantee that the entire philosophy for the game is "strap controller, swing to throw," and there is no strap for the Pro controller. The motion controllers are supposed to be "immersive," and people want Let's Go to be as static as possible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I agree that it is not an ideal situation, especially for disabled players. They'll maybe patch in some other support options once they get some real user feedback. However, to sit there and say that not being able to use the Pro controller for one game is Switch ruining is kinda ridiculous.

I guarantee that the entire philosophy for the game is "strap controller, swing to throw," and there is no strap for the Pro controller. The motion controllers are supposed to be "immersive," and people want Let's Go to be as static as possible.

They really hosed up their entire philosophy with the handheld mode then

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How do you catch Pokémon in handheld mode? Is it a timed button press or QTE?
Also, can you grind exp by catching Pokémon after Pokémon and setting them free?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Pokeball Plus is the best way to play PLG, imho. The controller rumbles and flashes when the ball trembles and plays a cry when you successfully catch a mon. The fact that it can be used as a Pokewalker and a Pokemon Go Plus are really just frosting on the cake.

The one change I would make would have been to have another button instead of clicking the stick.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

How do you catch Pokémon in handheld mode? Is it a timed button press or QTE?
Also, can you grind exp by catching Pokémon after Pokémon and setting them free?

You aim with gyro and press button to throw.

You can grind exp by catching pokemon after pokemon and then sending them to be ground up into candy professor Oak

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 22, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Andrast posted:

Yeah why would people want to play the game with their more comfortable pro controller?

LMAO the game is designed to be played one handed. The game literally only needs a single button and movement. That’s it. The whole thing about wanting to use the Pro controller is loving ridiculous.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Are there any plans to do like Netflix and Spotify on the switch. That would really elevate this console to perfection

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

I can't wait to buy RE4 yet again

Same here, it'll be my 5th time if I'm counting correctly. Maybe it'll FINALLY be the version that I 100%. I've never unlocked the hand cannon, but I've come close many times. Every platform other than Steam I'm unable or unwilling to return to.

Another question: Whenever I do get a Switch, is there a way for me to set up a profile for my son so that he can play his games, with his saves, and not only not screw my saves up, but also not even see games like Doom, Skyrim, and RE4? Can my wife and I lock our accounts so he can't access them? Can all 3 (eventually 4) of us have our own stuff on there?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole thing about wanting to use the Pro controller is loving ridiculous.

it's not

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Same here, it'll be my 5th time if I'm counting correctly.

These are amateur RE4 numbers. That’s not even half of the consoles RE4 is available for!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

LMAO the game is designed to be played one handed. The game literally only needs a single button and movement. That’s it. The whole thing about wanting to use the Pro controller is loving ridiculous.

seems like it should be really easy to make it work if there's only one button huh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

These are amateur RE4 numbers. That’s not even half of the consoles RE4 is available for!

There are no other games in my playing history that I have paid to own more times than RE4. Even Super Mario Bros 3, I've only bought once (first time was the original, as a Christmas present). Never had a Sony console, so none of those versions were ever bought. If I had, then yeah, I definitely would have bought the game on them, too.

I mean, how can you not?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If you use a single joycon, can you play the gyro-aiming-handheld way instead of the motion-flick way?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Another thing that is bad about not supporting the controller is this scenario:

You are playing the game docked and end a session by sleeping the console. You've decided to play something else, so you pick up your pro controller and wake the system. Since the game is still the active app and it does not recognize the pro controller, you can't use the home button to get to the menu to close the game/open something else. Mario Party does this nonsense too, but it is compounded with pokemon let's go if you are using the pokeball controller since that doesn't have a home button, meaning you must detach the joycons or undock your switch just to play a different game. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I've barely played any TWEWY because of its controller nonsense.