Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DoubleCakes posted:

I love how this thread has become the after party for the now-closed gaming journalism thread. [/sarcasm]

It’s a gossip thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m certainly nostalgic for the times before the internet culture war. Before the dark times.

The Smurfette thing might have an earlier common inspiration common to both videos independently—early media studies was very interested in that sort of thing. The timing is a little narrow for that, though. Or maybe it’s Lindsay’s fate to forever have her mature work overshadowed by early stuff she can’t stand.

It is extremely weird that the transformers would have sexual dimorphism, as they reproduce by building more in the smart one’s workshop or whenever Starscream finds some old jeeps from World War II. If they’re not all gay it must be hell to be a transformer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Internet personalities, in this thread?

It’s more likely than you think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m certainly nostalgic for the times before the internet culture war. Before the dark times.

The Smurfette thing might have an earlier common inspiration common to both videos independently—early media studies was very interested in that sort of thing. The timing is a little narrow for that, though. Or maybe it’s Lindsay’s fate to forever have her mature work overshadowed by early stuff she can’t stand.

It is extremely weird that the transformers would have sexual dimorphism, as they reproduce by building more in the smart one’s workshop or whenever Starscream finds some old jeeps from World War II. If they’re not all gay it must be hell to be a transformer.

One day she'll do that Loose Canon on Arcee. One day.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Max Wilco posted:

On to another topic, who here's a fan of FF XIV?

Well, Rock Paper Shotgun put out an article the other day where one of the writers attended the Las Vegas convention, and it's not gone over well.

One of the points of contention:

https://twitter.com/jes8965/status/1065448534089113600
https://twitter.com/ShinGokaiRed/status/1065477026335752192

Apparently, it was bad enough to get his press pass revoked.

Holy poo poo. Let the people dress up if they want to, rear end in a top hat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
~*~GamiNG joURnaliSm~*~

:shrek:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:wtc:
what the hell is this supposed to accomplish besides needless poo poo-stirring? it isn't remotely feasible nor productive for SE to police a community of millions of players to keep them from having consensual kinky private chats with each other

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Makes perfect sense for Gobots however, as they have always been cyborgs. :eng101:

But for some reason no one wants to talk about the Gobots. :eng99:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KayTee posted:

Makes perfect sense for Gobots however, as they have always been cyborgs. :eng101:

But for some reason no one wants to talk about the Gobots. :eng99:

Gobots to the polls!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RPS guy apparently kept the ERP tangent going for *20* minutes of like an hour long QA period, too, which even aside from how embarassing that must have been to listen to: How the gently caress do you even do that? How many ways can you reiterate "sir, are you aware that people are being *lewd* on the internet???"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

I love how this thread has become the after party for the now-closed gaming journalism thread. [/sarcasm]

Gaming journalism keeps happening.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, that entire Fanfest article is written in the most douchey, condescending way, good riddance if you're gonna go to a big fun event and be That Kind of person.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe that guy is onto something though, this was a tell I received once while afk'ing

And nearly a year and a half later...

Yes, it was the exact same person.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nah, I remember back then when it was all about trying to care as little as possible about things, and showing even a shred of sincerity could get you raked over the coals. Of course, this is all while caring way too much about certain things.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Isn't rps supposed to be really respectable?

Because that poo poo with the cosplayer is some mra gently caress brain poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Leal posted:

Maybe that guy is onto something though, this was a tell I received once while afk'ing

And nearly a year and a half later...

Yes, it was the exact same person.

Somehow I've only gotten recurring lewd tells on my pretty catman but not my girl character, something new at least.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Isn't rps supposed to be really respectable?

Because that poo poo with the cosplayer is some mra gently caress brain poo poo.

Yeah usually RPS are pretty good, which makes that article even more odd, like they picked the one guy that was the worst suited they could find in the office.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yardbomb posted:

like they picked the one guy that was the worst suited they could find in the office.

They why didn't they send John "Ori is better than Hollow Knight" Walker?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah usually RPS are pretty good

Gonna have to disagree with you somewhat on that one. They've been sliding downhill for the last few years, I think because of the change in staff.

VolticSurge posted:

They why didn't they send John "Ori is better than Hollow Knight" Walker?

John 'Gameplay is a forbidden word on RPS' Walker

In case you think I'm joking:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 22, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Guys, Gals, other cool people: Feel free to discuss this RPS thing (cause wth, i know they went down in quality but this is new) but I do agree this isn't the game journalism general thread.
If ya'll want it to be let me know ofc, group decision.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you somewhat on that one. They've been sliding downhill for the last few years, I think because of the change in staff.

This is like the Times arbitrarily deciding the word "house" should not be used anymore. For fun, read these tweets and mentally replace the word "gameplay" with some random other word.

"Everyone who uses the word "strawberry" should seriously reconsider their life choices! Everyone who yells at me "WTF" should tell me first: What is a strawberry?" :shepface:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Zedd posted:

Guys, Gals, other cool people: Feel free to discuss this RPS thing (cause wth, i know they went down in quality but this is new) but I do agree this isn't the game journalism general thread.
If ya'll want it to be let me know ofc, group decision.

I mean it fits enough into reviews really.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Libluini posted:

"Everyone who uses the word "strawberry" should seriously reconsider their life choices! Everyone who yells at me "WTF" should tell me first: What is a strawberry?" :shepface:
it's neither straw or a berry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2GMyQdw78

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The article was incredibly condescending and mean. But I guess expecting any kind of standards from the likes of RPS is too much.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
article is made funnier by the temper tantrum the author is throwing in comments and on Twitter

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It is a needlessly esoteric/jargony word:

"Now, let's talk about the gameplay." vs "Now, let's talk about how the game plays."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

The article was incredibly condescending and mean. But I guess expecting any kind of standards from the likes of RPS is too much.

Being a rude prick to individuals aside, that guy's poo poo is just so played out and saying this unironically, so ~however many years~ ago. It all reads like the smarmy puke people would come up with when the trying-too-hard-douchebag persona was looking down on people for daring to enjoy things or enjoy themselves around likeminded people at a convention or some other gathering.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Biomute posted:

"Now, let's talk about the gameplay." vs "Now, let's talk about how the game plays."
define how the game plays

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Playtaste is obviously the superior term.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Phillby posted:

Playtaste is obviously the superior term.

Gamefeel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey Blaire White still counts under 'internet personality' right because her announcing she's 'detransitioning' (stopping HRT temporarily) because she needs to 'preserve her bloodline' so she and her dude are gonna try to surrogate with her sperm after years of hormones and poo poo is probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

"Biology doesn't care about your feels libs. Also I have to preserve my pure Aryan blood (gently caress my boyfriend I guess he's the wrong white or whatever) so I assume after years of hormones my sperm is 100% good to use in this expensive and emotionally and physically taxing process right?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sexpig by night posted:

hey Blaire White still counts under 'internet personality' right because her announcing she's 'detransitioning' (stopping HRT temporarily) because she needs to 'preserve her bloodline' so she and her dude are gonna try to surrogate with her sperm after years of hormones and poo poo is probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

"Biology doesn't care about your feels libs. Also I have to preserve my pure Aryan blood (gently caress my boyfriend I guess he's the wrong white or whatever) so I assume after years of hormones my sperm is 100% good to use in this expensive and emotionally and physically taxing process right?"

It mostly sounds like it's none of my business? :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It mostly sounds like it's none of my business? :shrug:

I mean yea but she's the one who posted a big "I'M DETRANSITIONING BECAUSE I'M THE LAST OF MY BLOODLINE" vid on youtube so that's what makes it funny.

Like, yea, no poo poo, 90% of what's posted here isn't 'any of our business' but we're in hellworld where people put everything they do online and some of those people are real dumb so it's funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Biomute posted:

So gameplay means exactly what it sounds like?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Max Wilco posted:

oh good another icycalm just what we needed

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Throw these people in the goddamn garbage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, and by that point most major game studios had given up on the Amiga as a platform so a lot of the releases he reviewed in that video were there kind of stuff that would have been forgettable shareware on the PC. Not that that should excuse them from being criticized as commercial releases (since they were) but I can't help but feel a bit odd seeing that type of software getting the full Nerd treatment.

It's kind of a shame, too, as while I know that's not the show's format when James does do deep dives on stuff he's very thoughtful. Like the urban legend horror game which is still my favorite video of his.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I mean, Blaire's "I'M DETRANSITIONING" video is obviously very clickbaity indeed. The reasons themselves are understandable enough in that, y'know, you made a decision when you were younger to not preserve your semen (which is an option you do get) and now you regret it and wanna try and reverse the process because it would be nice to have a kid even if you've been on hormones for so long that you're very possibly permanently celibate...like, that's understandable and human enough. They may well have to adopt in the end if they do want a family (or...i mean, surely Joey has pretty healthy spunk) but I don't begrudge her giving it a go. But of course it's covered in a shell of "gotta get that YouTube dollah" (going off hormones =/= detransitioning for a start, I mean come on - obviously you're not detransitioning Blaire. You're not going to go back to being a loving dude during this time, that's kinda obvious)

The RPS article is clearly an embarrassing new low for a site that used to be halfway good. God, I miss Cara Ellison - she was really good. Now it's donks like this who seem to think that the enlightened approach is getting prissy whenever someone does anything even vaguely lewd. This is of course very stupid and speaks to a very sheltered and sad path in life. Oh, and John Walker is a loving gremlin.

I haven't seen AVGN's CD32 video yet, I'm sure it's fine...still. STOP GETTING COMMODORE WRONG REEEEEEEEEE

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

The RPS article is clearly an embarrassing new low for a site that used to be halfway good. God, I miss Cara Ellison - she was really good. Now it's donks like this who seem to think that the enlightened approach is getting prissy whenever someone does anything even vaguely lewd. This is of course very stupid and speaks to a very sheltered and sad path in life. Oh, and John Walker is a loving gremlin.

Has there been other stuff RPS has written like this lately? I though the main grievance with the article was the tone of condescension. I sort vaguely remember something from them akin to the ERP complaining, but I can't remember if it was RPS or someone else.

EDIT: Hang on, now I remembering something I saw a while ago...

It's the same writer... :wtc:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 23, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah this is puzzling because Brendan Caldwell isn't a prude. I've seen his stuff on Shut Up and Sit Down as well as RPS and he always seemed all right. Not sure what got into him unless it's the same goddamn brain spiders that infected the rest of the site lately. I used to really like RPS but it's been poo poo since Cara Ellison and Pip Warr left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
There was also that Rimworld article that posted misleading code snippets where the RPS writer had put her own comments in the code, without ever mentioning that the additions were her own.

The Rimworld dev has questionable views to begin with so I'm not shedding any tears, but that poo poo was downright misleading.