Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My media rack collapsed today, thankfully there were only 3 cases with major damage. The carrier studs failed at the center. I guess I should be in the market for something sturdier than what Atlantic provided.

I'm a bit disappointed that the paper is now torn on two Vinegar Syndrome limited releases, but at least the discs appear intact.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

My media rack collapsed today, thankfully there were only 3 cases with major damage. The carrier studs failed at the center. I guess I should be in the market for something sturdier than what Atlantic provided.

I'm a bit disappointed that the paper is now torn on two Vinegar Syndrome limited releases, but at least the discs appear intact.

Any suggestions?

For the longest time I used an IKEA bookcase. Think it was called Kallax? Adjustable shelves, perfect size for media, sturdy as hell and cheap.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Liar Lyre posted:

For the longest time I used an IKEA bookcase. Think it was called Kallax? Adjustable shelves, perfect size for media, sturdy as hell and cheap.

Kallax is the new one, Expedit was the old (and, from a design standpoint, much sturdier) design. In any case, still the standard for housing records, books, DVD/Bluray, and board games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Buy some old rear end antique wooden milk crates, or just make something. Spice up your life. Stop arranging your domicile with the same old chinese pre-fabs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have three of these things and I like them a lot:

Atlantic 35435725 Media Tower Elite Large (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058O8ES8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eyZ9BbB6D5Z8R

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Buy some old rear end antique wooden milk crates, or just make something. Spice up your life. Stop arranging your domicile with the same old chinese pre-fabs.

I ended up going from the IKEA furniture to installing shelves right on the wall. I have an entire media wall surrounding the window in my bedroom now. Perfect DVD size.

I also went a little overboard in my Black Friday shopping this year. Went to Best Buy and left with two full bags of movies and a six foot receipt.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Liar Lyre posted:

I also went a little overboard in my Black Friday shopping this year. Went to Best Buy and left with two full bags of movies and a six foot receipt.

drat. What movies did you get?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

I ended up going from the IKEA furniture to installing shelves right on the wall. I have an entire media wall surrounding the window in my bedroom now. Perfect DVD size.

I've long thought of doing away with bookshelves and just putting shelves directly on the wall, but the wall studs in my house are so inconsistently placed that half of the shelves would only be supported by drywall and that's a recipe for a ruined collection.

The joys of living in a cheap mid-70s house :suicide:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Spatulater bro! posted:

drat. What movies did you get?

There were about 60 things in total. Lots of 4K titles were $15 and under like the Rambo trilogy, Justice League, Deadpool 2, Infinity War, Dark Knight trilogy. It’s absolutely worth going even if you only want a couple of titles. I ended up saving more than I spent. Now to wait for Vinegar Syndrome in the morning.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I was tempted to do DK Trilogy 4K, but I figure by this time next year, it’ll be half what they’re selling this year and I’ve got enough drat movies to watch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was tempted to do DK Trilogy 4K, but I figure by this time next year, it’ll be half what they’re selling this year and I’ve got enough drat movies to watch.

You can get all three for 40 right now on Amazon if bought together.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Barnes & Noble - Arrow Video 70%-OFF (50% + extra 20% off on orders over $40):
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/arrow-video-50-off/_/N-2rpv?Ns=P_Display_Name%7C0
(use code BLKFRIDAY)

Blu-ray.com has a great subforum listing various deals:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Also, Flicker Alley will have a Cyber Monday sale with 20%-off and free shipping for orders over $200
(This may not seem like a lot, but they're a tiny operation and consistently release great, unique stuff)
https://twitter.com/flickeralley/status/1065652424763940865

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Barnes & Noble - Arrow Video 70%-OFF (50% + extra 20% off on orders over $40):
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/arrow-video-50-off/_/N-2rpv?Ns=P_Display_Name%7C0
(use code BLKFRIDAY)

Thanks for this. Technically 60% off though. 20% discount applies to discounted price.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vinegar Syndrome’s stuff is up. Site is getting slammed. I’d wait for the morning.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Liar Lyre posted:

Vinegar Syndrome’s stuff is up. Site is getting slammed. I’d wait for the morning.

The last thing I remember seeing on Facebook from them was "don't expect the site to crash this gear, we did server upgrades!" and after going there I immediately get 504'd. Ah well, it's only 3 in the afternoon here so I'll just wait it out.

E: the special merch is a resin figure of the spider monster from Night Train to Terror. That's rad.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 23, 2018

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah, Vinegar Syndrome's website is pretty much impossible to access. I'll try later. Surprisingly, Severin's site, which normally feels like you're using a 56K modem when you're on it, worked nice and fast, and I was able to get the entire Black Friday bundle without any issues.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ultraviolence123 posted:

Yeah, Vinegar Syndrome's website is pretty much impossible to access. I'll try later. Surprisingly, Severin's site, which normally feels like you're using a 56K modem when you're on it, worked nice and fast, and I was able to get the entire Black Friday bundle without any issues.

Skinner and All the Colours of the Dark look really neat (and I prefer them over the VS reveals), but Severin's shipping is insane. Skinner says it's limited to 2000 copies, but I'm not sure if that's the slipcover or the entire print run.

e: gently caress it, I'm weak, and Skinner looks like it could be fun and I don't wanna miss out on it.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 23, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is 'The Crazies' (original) worth a blind-buy for $17?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Pre-orders for 2001 are available via Best Buy again. I want that Steelbook bad.

I... I think my preorder worked? If you click on the product page you get an error, but you can add it to your cart from the search results and place an order that way. :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

Is 'The Crazies' (original) worth a blind-buy for $17?

Not unless you're a Romero completionist or you enjoy really slowly paced movies. Not a great deal happens in it and the movie feels like Dawn of the Dead-lite in terms of what it's generally saying.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thanks for the feedback, I’m going to keep my B&N Arrow order to just Waterworld (preorder), Blood and Black Lace, and 12 Monkeys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of 12 Monkeys, is there any release of it that includes La Jetee?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

I have three of these things and I like them a lot:

Atlantic 35435725 Media Tower Elite Large (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058O8ES8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eyZ9BbB6D5Z8R

That's the one that I had. I'll admit the failure at the midpoint is probably more due to me taking it appart to move it last year. It was just fine for 4 years.

I, Butthole posted:

The last thing I remember seeing on Facebook from them was "don't expect the site to crash this gear, we did server upgrades!" and after going there I immediately get 504'd. Ah well, it's only 3 in the afternoon here so I'll just wait it out.

E: the special merch is a resin figure of the spider monster from Night Train to Terror. That's rad.

I'm on the fence as to if I want to grab this as it's pretty steep, and I already spent too much filling in holes and grabbing the year package. I have a few days left to say "gently caress it," and grab one.

I did get the Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls shirt though :kimchi:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Indicator has a sale going on with some good titles:
https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk

They now list the region on the film pages, but most of them are region free. I think only the handful of Fox and Universal titles are locked.

edit: Pre-ordered Age of Consent (not on sale, but still at Criterion sale pricing), also ordered The Wild One, The Front, The Last Detail, and The Passenger.

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of 12 Monkeys, is there any release of it that includes La Jetee?

No, but it's on Blu-ray from Criterion paired with Sans Soilel

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 23, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, the "Despecialized" Star Wars Blu-rays are 720p, so be wary if that's a concern. Almost missed it in the fine print.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, the "Despecialized" Star Wars Blu-rays are 720p, so be wary if that's a concern. Almost missed it in the fine print.
I'm not sure if I should be concerned but either way I ordered a set last week so I guess it's a moot point! :shrug:

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
The stuff I ordered from Vinegar Syndrome last night has gone back into my cart, and my order is nowhere to be seen on my account. My money's still been taken, of course. You guys might want to double check your own accounts if you ordered anything yet.

Edit: Thankfully, they got back in contact right away, and everything's worked out.

MachineryNoise fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 23, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, the 4K one that’s going around is supposed to be somewhat sharper, but that one is a direct scan of a print rather than an insane rebuild from multiple sources (if people haven’t seen the clip on YouTube, search ‘harmy despecialized’ and there’s a 20min or so clip showing just how bonkers the project is). I know the 4K one came out without DNR, and is apparently pretty grainy due to this, and they’re working on cleaning it up. Sounds like they’re taking their time to do it properly, so might come out looking really nice.

I have what I think is the most recent Harmy versions of New Hope and Empire, and both look good to my eyes on a 65” OLED.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Thanks for the heads up to the Arrow sale. Unfortunately the code only works w non-sale items, I think.

Grabbed a few Criterion BDs as well.

Order was:
12 Monkeys (Always thought it deserved a more robust BD treatment)
Spider Baby (I saw this for the first time last month and it’s so ridiculous I had to do it)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (Never saw it, but figure I should see more Hitchcock and I saw a bunch of Peter Lorre movies in September)
Dr. Strangelove
A Man Escaped (The little theatre in town had some Bresson films and I missed seeing this)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How in the world they able to sell this and not get shut down by Disney? They killed a man for painting Mickey on their daycare wall.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The people who do the restorations don’t sell them, pirates do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, the 4K one that’s going around is supposed to be somewhat sharper, but that one is a direct scan of a print rather than an insane rebuild from multiple sources (if people haven’t seen the clip on YouTube, search ‘harmy despecialized’ and there’s a 20min or so clip showing just how bonkers the project is). I know the 4K one came out without DNR, and is apparently pretty grainy due to this, and they’re working on cleaning it up. Sounds like they’re taking their time to do it properly, so might come out looking really nice.

I have what I think is the most recent Harmy versions of New Hope and Empire, and both look good to my eyes on a 65” OLED.
I got the DNRed version of 4K77 and it looks loving fantastic. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that future versions of Harmy's Despecialized are going to work from the 4K print, so hopefully those will have his color grading and such that I like so much from his releases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh nice, I don’t keep up to date with this stuff so I didn’t realize it was out. I remember people having issues with playback of the first version so hopefully that’s settled and I’ll grab it at some point.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Roma was visually incredible..I hope netflix issues a UHD of it at some point. The entire time I was wishing it was screening in 70/imax..I'm glad they decided to do a theatrical run because peoples ipads won't do this thing justice.

It was also the coolest use of surround sound I've seen in a cinema.

e: to expound, when he'd have 2 people talking and they'd use the old single shot and then cut back and forth between them; for audio he'd have whoever was on screen come out of the screen/center channel and then whoever was "behind the camera" for that single would have their dialogue come from the back surround channels. another good example, there's a dead on shot of a television and the previous shot is the family on the couch watching it..so in the single shot of the television you hear the family chatter on the back channels, which makes it feel like you're sitting on the couch with them.

so cool. sad it'll be lost on netflix viewers who are on stereo devices...see this thing large/good sound!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 23, 2018

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
God I love Black Friday. Signed up for an Amazon Visa when I was ordering a new TV today, so they gave me a $70 gift card. Here's all the Blus I got...

Blade Runner 2049
Batman v Superman (I know, I know, but it was $4)
Alien: Covenant
Warcraft
Mandy
Paprika
Raid / Raid 2
Wonder Woman
Once Upon A Time In America

Can't wait to get my new 4K TV and never leave my couch again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So I finally got my hands on my copy of the Batman: TAS set. So here are some photos.

Sexy, sexy exterior shots

Front

Spine

Back

You can see glossy watermarks of Batman, Joker, Penguin, Mr Freeze, Robin and Catman

That's Harley Quinn, Kung-fu Alfred, Two-Face, Jim Gordon and Scarecrow on the back

The discs are in a booklet. Here's the Tumbler helping out.

The inside has artwork like this.

It comes with Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vagabundo posted:

So I finally got my hands on my copy of the Batman: TAS set. So here are some photos.

Sexy, sexy exterior shots

Front

Spine

Back

You can see glossy watermarks of Batman, Joker, Penguin, Mr Freeze, Robin and Catman

That's Harley Quinn, Kung-fu Alfred, Two-Face, Jim Gordon and Scarecrow on the back

The discs are in a booklet. Here's the Tumbler helping out.

The inside has artwork like this.

It comes with Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero

That's dooooooooooope :swoon:

I just saw a 25th anniversary screening of Mask of the Phantasm in a theater like last week. It holds up!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The best part of the set is it takes the same amount of space as a single volume of the DVDs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just a heads up to everyone you can get the Batman set on Best Buy's website for 80 bucks, which is the lowest price I've seen on that so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/batman-the-complete-animated-series-blu-ray-dvd/6303729.p?skuId=6303729

And at this point it looks like the non-limited box set is happening. There's cover art floating around and it's been listed on a few sites as well as being currently available on Amazon Canada and I believe it's a but cheaper than the limited set if you can live with out the book and other trinkets.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rirse posted:

How in the world they able to sell this and not get shut down by Disney? They killed a man for painting Mickey on their daycare wall.

I would imagine C&Ds would start going out shortly before or after they announce official 4K releases of the OT. I could actually see that going down in 2020 or so because there's no way Disney isn't doing a "Ultimate" boxset once the IX BD comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CPL593H posted:

Just a heads up to everyone you can get the Batman set on Best Buy's website for 80 bucks, which is the lowest price I've seen on that so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/batman-the-complete-animated-series-blu-ray-dvd/6303729.p?skuId=6303729

And at this point it looks like the non-limited box set is happening. There's cover art floating around and it's been listed on a few sites as well as being currently available on Amazon Canada and I believe it's a but cheaper than the limited set if you can live with out the book and other trinkets.

I'm so buying the non funko version of this