Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Don't forget Jake Lloyd having like 10,000 hours on Steam.

And schizophrenia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can't imagine welcoming Ryan Reynolds into your heart
Sorry I do NOT recognize your right to exist

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Lion King teaser just aired during Thanksgiving football.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/disneylionking/status/1065734854778572800

edit: Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbLXeGSDxg

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 22, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OH BOY, A LIVE ACTION LION KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

This is gonna continue to annoy me until the movie has come and gone.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that looks beautiful.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

that's a very cute baby lion

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess CG is more appropriate than live action in this case

Either way, who loving cares? The animated one exists and it's a classic. It didn't even come out that long ago (1994). What the gently caress is a CG remake gonna bring to the table?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if giving them totally realistic animal movement mannerisms works. It just makes them look confused, or like they've been cruelly trained into bowing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I guess CG is more appropriate than live action in this case

Either way, who loving cares? The animated one exists and it's a classic. It didn't even come out that long ago (1994). What the gently caress is a CG remake gonna bring to the table?

We've had three different Spider-Men within nine years. We're hosed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What the gently caress is a CG remake gonna bring to the table?

I thought Jungle Book (also by Favreau) worked pretty well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought Jungle Book (also by Favreau) worked pretty well.
I saw that in theaters and remember literally nothing about that movie except Scarlett Johansson voiced a snake in it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Imagine how bad this is gonna look in 10 years time compared to the animated version.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'll admit it -looks- good. But for how shot-for-shot it was, it ends up feeling really unnecessary.

Though I am really interested to see how Billy Eichner's Timon ends up being.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Probably around $1.4 billion.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably around $1.4 billion.

id be genuinely amazed if it doesnt make more than that. an absolute trash Beauty was 1.4 right? lion king will set all time records

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This poo poo is so sad. They keep turning out these forgettable regurgitated remakes over and over again and all they're concerned about is money. It has nothing to do with legitimate art or vision.

Disney is a corporation, though. I guess money is their primary interest, after all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Disney is creatively bankrupt. gently caress all their poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

i'm struggling to see the practical difference between this and something like the Psycho remake. What's the point if you're just gonna make the same thing but you cut and paste different models in there. It looks like a video game HD remake. Granted it doesn't have Vince Vaughn and Ann Heche but it does have Seth Rogen and Beyonce

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Disney is a corporation, though. I guess money is their primary interest, after all.

Hey, fair enough, it's my primary interest as well if I'm honest. :v:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is actually extra sad to me because I just watched a video about how Disney purposefully made Treasure Planet a flop so that they can close their traditional animation division and go full CG.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’ll be hard to beat the Onion review of Winnie the Pooh’s last movie.

They'll never top this one for me:

https://voices.clickhole.com/i-don-t-let-my-kids-watch-winnie-the-pooh-because-i-don-1825124045

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Pooh fucks

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

This poo poo is so sad. They keep turning out these forgettable regurgitated remakes over and over again and all they're concerned about is money. It has nothing to do with legitimate art or vision.

Lol over and over at this post

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ammanas posted:

id be genuinely amazed if it doesnt make more than that. an absolute trash Beauty was 1.4 right? lion king will set all time records

It has Beyonce in it. This movie is going to make ridiculous amounts of money (in America at least).

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Disney wants to appeal to new audiences, not just people in their 20's or 30's who have already seen all their movies. I haven't seen any of their other live-action remakes and I'm not planning on seeing this one, but I can certainly see why a 5 year old kid in 2018 would want to. I wouldn't expect most young kids to really give a poo poo about all my favorite movies that came out decades before they were born.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

We've had three different Spider-Men within nine years. We're hosed.

We were living in the Spiderverse the entire time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Disney wants to appeal to new audiences, not just people in their 20's or 30's who have already seen all their movies. I haven't seen any of their other live-action remakes and I'm not planning on seeing this one, but I can certainly see why a 5 year old kid in 2018 would want to. I wouldn't expect most young kids to really give a poo poo about all my favorite movies that came out decades before they were born.

You know Disney used to be really good about making everyone care about their old and new movies both. When I was a child I certainly didn't care that Alice in Wonderland was from the loving 50s. I don't know that a remake of it would have excited me back then but impossible to tell I guess.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

You know Disney used to be really good about making everyone care about their old and new movies both. When I was a child I certainly didn't care that Alice in Wonderland was from the loving 50s. I don't know that a remake of it would have excited me back then but impossible to tell I guess.

It's funny that when Disney first started digging up the corpses of their old properties, they at least tried to do something different with them. Burton's Alice was a sequel of sorts and Maleficent was a retelling. Then they realized that they didn't need to put in so much work.

Remember when Jon Favreau made a movie about not wanting to be a soulless sellout, and then followed it up with Jungle Book and Lion King remakes and a Star Wars show?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I want a meteor to strike me immediately as the credits roll in theatres after The Lion King cause I know my life won't get better and I'm proud to contribute to the $5 billion it will make opening weekend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

live with fruit posted:

Remember when Jon Favreau made a movie about not wanting to be a soulless sellout, and then followed it up with Jungle Book and Lion King remakes and a Star Wars show?
Apparently the pilot episode of Young Sheldon too :laffo:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

live with fruit posted:

Favreau also directed Iron Man; he started the MCU. He was going to direct Avengers as well (I presume with the never-published Zak Penn script) until the entire thing was junked and Whedon replaced them both.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chef was more about creativity being shoved into a pre conceived hole, and stifling the creative process.

The food truck is basically what Jungle Book was. A easily accessible venture that anyone can enjoy made with love and care as opposed to someone barking at you to do it a certain way.

I mean I’m adding another layer too it, but I don’t think it’s about selling out vs not selling out:

I really like Chef but that ending is dumb as hell. The last like 2 minutes suck so hard it almost ruins the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

live with fruit posted:

It's funny that when Disney first started digging up the corpses of their old properties, they at least tried to do something different with them. Burton's Alice was a sequel of sorts and Maleficent was a retelling. Then they realized that they didn't need to put in so much work.

They've been digging up those corpses for a long time, experimenting with different business models and seeing what would stick. Back in the 90s and 00s they pumped out dozens and dozens of cheap animated direct-to-DVD sequels to their classic movies which sound pretty awful (Cinderella 2?? Really??) but apparently sold millions upon millions of copies. They also went through a phase in the 90s of remaking some of their 'classic' live action films like That Darn Cat , Flubber, The Parent Trap, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Love Bug, etc. which were mostly pretty unsuccessful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I saw both live-action 101 Dalmatians movies in the cinema.

The prototype for all this is arguably Hook but it wasn't a Disney movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

The prototype for all this is arguably Hook but it wasn't a Disney movie.

It was originally! Spielberg developed the project with Disney in the early 80s (and had plans to make it a musical starring Michael Jackson) but then it moved to Paramount, and then Spielberg dropped out, and then it moved to TriStar who convinced Spielberg to come back.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

No Jeremy Irons, no watch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/robtrench/status/1065837592002781184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Chef was more about creativity being shoved into a pre conceived hole, and stifling the creative process.

The food truck is basically what Jungle Book was. A easily accessible venture that anyone can enjoy made with love and care as opposed to someone barking at you to do it a certain way.

I mean I’m adding another layer too it, but I don’t think it’s about selling out vs not selling out:

I really like Chef but that ending is dumb as hell. The last like 2 minutes suck so hard it almost ruins the film.

I have a complete opposite view of Chef, minus the ending - I thought the whole movie was going so far up Favreaus rear end about how he was the super good chef and ousted, with a super hot wife and then he has the best drat truck ever.

It was disgusting and I finished the movie having wished I never saw this poo poo.

At least the grilled cheese looked good.