Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

part of chicago's amazon hq2 offer was to literally pay amaazon the taxes their employees paid

what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I really, really want to ask a CHUD why giving corporations billions in tax breaks is cool and good without mentioning "jobs", but it's not ok to help a homeless person feed himself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the cities (dallas?) would have exempted amazon employees from all local payroll and municipal taxes

that's a really fuckin' great way to endear yourself to your neighbors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what is even the thought process there? like, if you remove all the local economic benefit of the jobs, why even have the jobs?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's real fun is when CHUDs complain about roads falling apart, then going "Well, here's how the cycle goes: the municipality and the residents agree that the roads need to be fixed. The municipality then tells the residents in order to fix them, the taxes need to be raised. The residents proclaim over my dead body and the cycle repeats next year."

I mentioned that to a CHUD once and got silence in return (every one else in the room stood up and clapped).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

what is even the thought process there? like, if you remove all the local economic benefit of the jobs, why even have the jobs?

Well, you see, because we attracted Amazon, other companies will want to come to us because we're so attractive to Amazon and there's no way they will want the same treatment and *fart*

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"they'll spend the money locally"

on their computers buying amazon garbage shipped in from china

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

they spend money in the district and it trickles... you guessed it... down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do not question the job-givers!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I really, really want to ask a CHUD why giving corporations billions in tax breaks is cool and good without mentioning "jobs", but it's not ok to help a homeless person feed himself.

this topic is way more bublé than elongate but since were here already
http://gothamist.com/2018/11/20/cuomo_amazon_tax_subsidies.php

quote:

A man walks into a bar, and orders a drink. “That’ll be ten dollars,” says the bartender. The man hands over nine one-dollar bills.

“Hey buddy,” says the bartender. “You’re a dollar short.”

“But if I never came in here, you wouldn’t have any of my money at all,” says the man. “So by giving me a dollar and getting my nine dollars, you’re turning a 900% profit!”

The man is Amazon. The bartender is you, the people of New York. The man telling this story — telling it seriously, not as a hilarious punchline about grifting — is Andrew Cuomo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chris Knight posted:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chris Knight posted:

This is as loving stupid as when we bought Eurofighters we didn't need for a billion, with the reasoning being they would invest 2 billion in return (they did not and also the planes are useless fucktrash).

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

gschmidl posted:

useless fucktrash).

do not sign

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

their English orthography is top notch too
Örthögraphy

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Hey I’m a few pages late again but if you drive a manual transmission car in SF you are retarded

I know I know we don’t say that anymore. But actually we do. It’s just reserved for very seriously retarded scenarios, such as a manual car in SF

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's not why it's "reserved"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MononcQc posted:

The agreement of UBI across the spectrum generally just means that both sides agree to walk through the same door, but right after they have gone through the door, it starts diverging again.
there is definitely not agreement on UBI! adamant marxists like richard wolff believe UBI is a very inadequate solution to poverty and inequality much like the welfare and charity programs throughout history. his solution is to distribute the income more equally in the first place instead of redistributing income.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
You couldn’t get half of one side of one house of Congress to even vaguely express support for UBI. It’s a complete dead end in America

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

UBI will become politically possible when it's the only hierarchical solution to keep capitalists heads still safely attached to their bodies

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Lol if you think that’ll ever happen

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Hey I’m a few pages late again but if you drive a manual transmission car in SF you are retarded

I know I know we don’t say that anymore. But actually we do. It’s just reserved for very seriously retarded scenarios, such as a manual car in SF

You know a lot of manual cars come with hill assist now, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ADINSX posted:

You know a lot of manual cars come with hill assist now, right?

you know manual transmissions have been completely obsolete since before you were born right? cars just work on hill snow unless you break them by installing a manual transmission. namaste

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

fishmech posted:

you know manual transmissions have been completely obsolete since before you were born right? cars just work on hill snow unless you break them by installing a manual transmission. namaste

jesus gently caress off

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a few pages back, but florida does have hills in the panhandle, and some of the hills in town here require curbing your tires to safely park on them.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ADINSX posted:

jesus gently caress off

dont acknowledge don't validate dont associate :hai:

maybe in time they reform :allears:

(won't)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Mr. Nice! posted:

a few pages back, but florida does have hills in the panhandle, and some of the hills in town here require curbing your tires to safely park on them.

is that parking directions intended for when someone drives across hours of ocean-covered roads in 2020, hoping to be able to tap the rumored last aquifer that still maybe hasn't somehow gone brackish?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nah at that point the only remaining land of the former peninsula will be orlando island. the hilly part of florida is just south georgia and it’ll mean i’m 15 minutes closer to the gulf than I am now.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Mr. Nice! posted:

nah at that point the only remaining land of the former peninsula will be orlando island. the hilly part of florida is just south georgia and it’ll mean i’m 15 minutes closer to the gulf than I am now.

pee is stored in the epcot ball

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ADINSX posted:

jesus gently caress off

Sorry about your broken car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actual tesla content: they broke a bunch of basic poo poo, like rolling up windows, OTA, in an attempt to fix their massive design deficiencies

these are getting to be like 9x era windows updates

or current era windows update, i guess

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
After playing around locking and unlocking my Model 3 for a few minutes, it looks like Model 3 simply doesn’t close the windows completely anymore.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows 95 updates were qa'd to hell and back, so, yeah, very much more of a 2018 flavor of updating

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i guess my cousin got a model s. do those ones fail as much as the others? he's an investment banker with obscene amounts of money so i'm sure he got the full package.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not in the same ways anyway. the model 3 is a unique combination of bad design and lovely manufacturing that they hadn't previously achieved

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Update this morning after 44.2... Bad news... After one hour of preheating, seats folded down, etc... Unable to unlatch the charger again even with the new supposed connector behavior... Uber this morning again.... BTW - Port was ok last night after being heated with hair dryer.

quote:

I just got home and tried to plug in, but the pin is stuck in the up position. Trunk release doesn't help. I was going to do the software update later but I'm doing it now to see if it helps. (In MA, it's about 16F out).

ETA: Update installed, pin still stuck. Took a hairdryer to it and after several minutes I was able to insert the charger plug. Got in the car to see if it was still set delayed charge, and that seemed to still be in effect. Got back out of the car and tried to remove cable, but it had locked. I pushed the button on the plug and it unlocked and I could remove it. Plugged it back in and it didn't seem to lock, then I heard it lock a few seconds later and I could not remove the cable. Pressed the button, it unlocked, reinserted and after several seconds it locked again. So, I'm hoping for the best now.

I didn't notice any change to the windows, but I hadn't paid attention to how they acted before so that doesn't mean much. The update release notes say they changed the window position.

bonus:

quote:

Waiting at supercharger for a tow to service center.
Can't charge the car.
-7C here in Toronto.
I washed it an hr before charging in touchless wash.
If that was the cause the port needs a build in heater.
Washing your car in subzero weather then venturing out with the car is never a good idea. Of course things are going to freeze, it would on any car. You’re only looking for trouble. Some common sense is needed here.

...your car, that relies exclusively on cameras for autopilot, don't wash it for five months of the year

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

After playing around locking and unlocking my Model 3 for a few minutes, it looks like Model 3 simply doesn’t close the windows completely anymore.

Update: after the update, my window doesn’t go completely back up as previoucly noted, but it also doesn’t seem to go as far down as it previously would when opening and closing the door. The window scratches on the trim when I open and close the door. That’s not good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bonus:

...your car, that relies exclusively on cameras for autopilot, don't wash it for five months of the year

Electrek’s Take

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Roosevelt posted:

i guess my cousin got a model s. do those ones fail as much as the others? he's an investment banker with obscene amounts of money so i'm sure he got the full package.

some people have said that the s and x qualities went down due to the rushed production on the 3 but i haven't seen anything concrete on that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Washing your car in subzero weather then venturing out with the car is never a good idea. Of course things are going to freeze, it would on any car

lmao

anyone living where it snows regularly sees the cycle of snow -> slush -> roads dry -> line of cars at car wash

nobody is loving worried about washing their car in freezing temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

exploded mummy posted:

Electrek’s Take

but tesla like apple so BRAVE for taking such a bold move in distruping our mindsets on how a car should be made, and function.