Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just finished Mac and Me, and I'm glad I never saw the whole thing before. MST was the right way to experience it. Very good episode.

All the live performers are great, but I'm still not really digging Vaughn and Yount as the 'bots.

Zesty posted:

Eh. I’m about the same and I can already tell they didn’t learn from the mistakes of last season.

Old MST3K didn’t feel like the characters were omniscient and setting up everything in advance. Jokes start before what’s being shown on screen that supposedly preceded it. Characters cooperate on a bit too quickly. Everything is so rapid fire.

I’m just not feeling it. It’s a little... too artificial.

Sadly, I agree. It's missing the naturalness that comes from a bunch of people working together for a long time, and sitting way too close to a movie screen.

Just from the nature of the new show, I'm not sure that's ever going to return. Especially with different puppeteers and voices for the robots.

They seem to get settled in on the live shows though, so maybe there's still a chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Compendium posted:

Mac and Me aliens are gonna haunt my dreams

Their design has to be 'charming by committee.' That cannot be from the mind of one person, save possibly one who just awoke from a terrible fever dream.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I can't explain why but I lost my poo poo for a full minute during Mac and Me's "Da Bears" to the tune of Pink Panther.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Finished The Gauntlet. No big breakout episode for me this time around, like Cry Wilderness was last season. I'll need to rewatch these. Mac & Me was probably my favorite, but hard for me to get a bead on the others.

Although my favorite riff was probably in Ator:

Baby has powder spilled on it's chest.

"Whoa! This baby parties!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the concept of what feels like the American remake Pod People sounds like it has potential and there's a lot of weird terrible stuff in the movie but that is a slooooooooow opening and the movie was completely pointless. I think it got weird enough even if time never actually ended and the riffing stayed cool. "You know what this is, don't you? It's a time-space warp." is one of the weirdest lines delivered straight.

I thought the episode was good, but the movie was just so wretched I had a hard time focusing on the jokes. It's just kind of baffling to me what they thought they were making with that film.

Random Stranger posted:

I had to keep getting up every twelve minutes to switch over my cookies which really interrupts the flow of things. Now I have to prepare a potpie for dinner before starting Killer Fish. Which I realize as I type that sounds incredibly sad but the other person arriving tonight before our big meal tomorrow likes pot pies and I'm making it from scratch, not reheating a frozen pot pie for my Thanksgiving dinner because I am such a horrible person to all my relations that I have been disinvited to all of their Thanksgiving dinners.

I don't judge anyone's meal choice for Thanksgiving; I personally prefer the traditional Thanksgiving pizza but really everyone should just have whatever makes them happiest.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
don't talk to the lovecraftian obelisk, dear~

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Looking up Mac and Me on IMDB, and 2 things stick out:

1) Jennifer Aniston is one of the dancers in the McDonalds' party scene

and

2) Holy poo poo:

quote:

The climax of the film plays out slightly differently in the Japanese VHS print. When Eric wheels after the aliens heading back into the shopping mall, the police officer tries to grab him and falls over. This causes his gun to discharge a bullet, striking Eric through the chest and killing him instantly. This explains the reason why Eric is suddenly motionless upon the building exploding, whereas in all other versions it's implied he died from the explosion. Regardless, in all versions he is revived by the alien family upon his retrieval

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not very graphic, but it's real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuZnmSujt8

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I don't remember Mac and me being so loving weird but ok.

Kinda annoyed every episode is only 80 minutes long now. But is missing like 10 minutes of Atlantic Rim really a big deal?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ComposerGuy posted:

I can't explain why but I lost my poo poo for a full minute during Mac and Me's "Da Bears" to the tune of Pink Panther.

Did you know they WERE FROM CHICAGO?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For a movie about people trapped on a lake filled with mysterious Brazilian Killer Fish, there were a lot of people sticking their hands in the water. You do get a lovely heist movie mixed with a lovely animal attack movie, though. I don't think I cared for the running gag of interrupting the attack scenes this episode, though I guess they wanted to do that rather than keep making jokes about people being ripped apart by fish.

Only Ator left. The first time MST3k has followed Rifftrax! Who will win in this confrontation?

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought the episode was good, but the movie was just so wretched I had a hard time focusing on the jokes. It's just kind of baffling to me what they thought they were making with that film.

The Day Time Stopped feels like the Monster-a-Go-Go of the season. :v:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Lords of the Deep. There it is, a movie worse than Sphere. I'm still not sure of the plot but I hated it. Good riffs though

The monster is pretty cute though :3:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Crazy Ferret posted:

Lords of the Deep. There it is, a movie worse than Sphere. I'm still not sure of the plot but I hated it. Good riffs though

The monster is pretty cute though :3:

"Here's the church, here's the steeple...open the doors, lords of the deeple"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruteman posted:

"Here's the church, here's the steeple...open the doors, lords of the deeple"

I had to pause after that. It was a stealth giggle and it kept bubbling up over a minute because it caught me *just* the right way.

I only have 2 to go (after football is done), but so far it’s a close race between Day That Time Ended and Lords of the Deep for top episode. Day That Time Ended has the edge because of that fantastic host segment.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Only Ator left. The first time MST3k has followed Rifftrax! Who will win in this confrontation?
Technically the second time - Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was a Rifftrax before the MST3K episode. It got pulled very quickly, though - went up for sale mid-March 2016, and was delisted by the end of the same month.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313115709/https://www.rifftrax.com/wizards-of-the-lost-kingdom

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Boy, The Day Time Ended sure went places. :stare: That was...an odd one. A few too many riffs where they explained the joke, but some good stuff in there too. Kinda strange that they make a bunch of Star Wars jokes and then none when they arrive in the future (?) with two suns. Maybe it was a bit too on the nose at that point.

Now to decide whether I actually want to binge my way through the last two movies tonight or hold off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I survived the gauntlet!

Thoughts after the season: better produced than S11 since they didn't have the rough learning curve again. However, other than Mac and Me the film selection wasn't as solid. S11 had around four dream movies for episodes that fans had been talking about needing to be on MST3K since the original series was on the air plus a few great discoveries. S12 had the amazing get of Mac and Me but the other movies weren't as magical. I mean, the second "best" movie for riffing this season was probably Lords of the Deep and that's a pretty big step down.

Mac and Me is an absolute classic episode. Lords of the Deep and Ator were pretty good. The Day Time Stopped and Killer Fish were decent. Atlantic Rim was fine.

Hogama posted:

Technically the second time - Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was a Rifftrax before the MST3K episode. It got pulled very quickly, though - went up for sale mid-March 2016, and was delisted by the end of the same month.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313115709/https://www.rifftrax.com/wizards-of-the-lost-kingdom

I completely missed that. The Rifftrax version of Ator is up right now for streaming with Amazon Prime, though, so it's not pulled quite yet.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Lords of the Deep. There it is, a movie worse than Sphere.

Whoa there. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I completely missed that. The Rifftrax version of Ator is up right now for streaming with Amazon Prime, though, so it's not pulled quite yet.
Most Rifftrax haven't been taken down. I think it was just some rights issue that cropped up with Wizards of the Lost Kingdom - potentially related to MST3K, but equally as likely they thought they had them and whomever they went through didn't have the legal authority to give it to them. I dunno, I never probed it much.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Got through the Gauntlet.

The season never quite reaches the heights of Mac & Me again, but regardless, it was a good time. Riffing was most definitely improved over S11.

Really enjoyed the little tributes to the 30th Anniversary (ie Erhardt, Idiot Control Now, and, of course, the ending) as well.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 23, 2018

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

How come I can't find season 2 on my Netflix app. Am I an idiot?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sanzuo posted:

How come I can't find season 2 on my Netflix app. Am I an idiot?

It should be under 'Episodes and More' under the new MST3K's section.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Compendium posted:

What the gently caress is Mac and Me

Like seriously? That movie is ridiculous.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not to mention it's a complete rip off of Meatballs 2.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, the movie is there to sell so many brands, but then they do it with the absolutely most horrifying creatures known to man. Like, they just look creepy. You know those bizarre fetish videos on YouTube? It's something somebody would craft for those.

Then you have this kids movie where all this dark hosed up poo poo is happening. Like, check out the Japanese VHS version for how this film was supposed to have things go down.

And then you don't get enough of the "cute" alien being cute.

I can't imagine this film being anything but something somebody released because the money was already spent. Even a pure corporate controlled film would be more appealing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CommaToes posted:

Like seriously? That movie is ridiculous.

I was about ten when it came out and apparently even then thought I was too cool for it as I'd never seen it until The Gauntlet. My parents dodged a bullet there. I made them watch some bad stuff, but at least never Mac & Me.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The only thing missing from “Lords of the Deep” is Sylvester McCoy popping up and asking what’s all this then.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Cleared Lords of the Deep. I really don't understand how that ending works, at all.

I finally figured out that all the extra people in the ending were the missing crew from the relief sub. It really didn't click for me at 5am.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Also we thought that the executive at the beginning of "Lords of the Deep" looked familiar and we were right! Roger Corman!

They learned too late that man was a feeling creature, and because of it, the greatest in the universe...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

There’s not much call for gluing gorillas together.

Ba-BOOM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gypsy as the Loch Ness monster is funny enough. Her clutching a piña colada makes it hilarious.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm watching Atlantic Rim with my 11 year old brother, my conclusion is that the actor who plays Jim deserves to be in a better movie. He's got sweet ink, it's too good for an Asylum movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t think I can make it all the way through Atlantic Rim, it’s just so completely bereft of anything approaching entertainment. Asylum knockoffs and anything “intentionally bad” never make decent riffing material.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Compendium posted:

I'm watching Atlantic Rim with my 11 year old brother, my conclusion is that the actor who plays Jim deserves to be in a better movie. He's got sweet ink, it's too good for an Asylum movie.

Chicken Jim?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We managed to finish it, I was about to give up in the last 10 minutes.

Brother and I were mad that Red didn't die :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Red really should have been the eyepatch guy instead of budget fratbro Anthony Michael Hall.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
We're slowly parcelling them out (as I don't have a long holiday weekend -- lecturing Thursd & Friday then an Open Day on Saturday because I live in God's abandoned country) but we watched Mac & Me last night.

The supermarket explosion had Mr Boods creased up -- and we were both like, hang on, scrotum aliens could bring kiddo back from the dead but fixing his legs wasn't included in the deal (I know, the actor has spina bifida in real life ? Also, the kiddo going off the cliff got a WTF?! from us.

Somewhat surprised there were no David Bowie or Man Who Fell to Earth Jokes. And the product placement -- I'd know about it, but still :psyduck:

I wasn't a kid in the 90s (I was in grad school by then) -- so missed out on that whole breakdancing at McDonalds this :haw:

I've never seen ET (and intend to keep it that way) so I guess I don't have to now.

I live with the only person on the planet who's never read or seen Flowers for Algernon.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 23, 2018

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hey you guys should totally be watching Joe Bob

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

“Hey, wanna be my sister?”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I have the last two to go, but it's football time so I'll do them later tonight. Of the 4 I watched:

The Day Time Stopped > Mac and Me > Lords of the Deep > Atlantic Rim

The Henry Hill style song pushed The Day Time Stopped over the top. Atlantic Rim is so terrible, not even some really funny riffs could salvage it for me.

Ok, Ator pulled out the win in the end. I couldn’t stop laughing through the whole thing.

Final order for me

Ator > The Day Time Stopped > Mac and Me > Killer Fish > Lords of the Deep > Atlantic Rim

I know a lot of people didn’t like The Day Time Stopped due to things like a complete lack of plot, but I think that was a part of why I loved it. It was just supremely pointless and dumb, but so earnestly made. That and recurring “Wise men seek him” and the song. If it weren’t for the song, Mac and Me would have been 2nd.

Overall, I felt that this was a very strong season, with Atlantic Rim being the only miss for me.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Compendium posted:

I had the same reaction about Graham Greene. I really want to see him star in a different, better movie.