Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m not scared and that place was fantastic. Top 50 restaurants in Latin / South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Went to my favorite local bbq restaurant today and they had changed my favorite bbq sauce. It's a mustard based sauce that was very sweet and good, I put it on everything (fries, meat, etc). I asked about it and they said it was because the new one was GF and had less sugar in effort to be more healthy. Uh, sir I'm eating a pig covered in more pig (pulled pork with bacon on top) sandwich, that wasn't high on my concerns list. They have almost no "healthy" options so this was high on the :wtc: list.

Anybody have a good mustard based bbq sauce recipe? I tried a couple but none have come close so I'm guessing there must be a pound of sugar in it. :v:

My wife loves this stuff. Melt some butter and brown sugar and then mix in yellow mustard, cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, plus salt and pepper and cayenne if you want it spicy. That's all you need, adjust everything to taste. If you want it sweeter, use more brown sugar.

Also I for real nailed a brisket for maybe the second time ever. I think this is probably the best proper smoked brisket I've had, anywhere. It was done in 12 hours too, which was a nice surprise.

click for big

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 17, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Amazon shows there’s a new Steven Raichlen book coming out, and this one is all about brisket.

https://www.amazon.com/Brisket-Chronicles-Barbecue-Braise-Versatile-ebook/dp/B07GNZ4W7H/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1542415462&sr=8-10

Available April 2019.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy smoke ring on that sucker.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Holy smoke ring on that sucker.

No joke, that almost looks like you marinated it in something that had a shitload of pink food coloring or what ever the Chinese do to Chashu

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It looks like he put lipstick on that motherfucker. Holy christ, what a smoke ring.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So I'm going to spatchcock my 19lb turkey and am looking at letting it coast along at 325 for the smoke. The google machine times are all over the place. Hell times I'm looking at would barely cook a 6 or 7 lb chicken in my experience.

Anyone else done this?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've smoked my turkey every year for the last 5 or so. Times have been all over the place because I have used different sizes bird and didn't have good grill thermometers until this year. It was generally faster than you'd expect though, in the 3 hours and change range for a 12 pound bird.

E: I've always dry brined beforehand, too. That might help.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I found the same.. 2.5 to 3 hours for a 10 to 12 pound bird.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Mine have been about the same as well.

Edit: spatchcocked

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 18, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So for a 19"?

Looks like 4 hours...not being spatchcoked.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I suspect that it'll be a decent bit longer if you don't spatchcock it (And why wouldn't you it's crazy faster/makes for better crispy skin).

Also then you have the big ole spine and other bits to go with the neck and giblets for making gravy!!!!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

So for a 19"?

Looks like 4 hours...not being spatchcoked.

If you don't have a good thermometer you can do the joint wiggle test. Grab a drumstick and see if it's loose in the joint, if so it's probably about done.

But, uh, you should get a thermometer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Murgos posted:

If you don't have a good thermometer you can do the joint wiggle test. Grab a drumstick and see if it's loose in the joint, if so it's probably about done.

But, uh, you should get a thermometer.

Yeah, I have a Maverick. Should get a decent thermometer. :v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Smoke ring ≠ flavor. :colbert:

Mighty fine looking brisket, though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get an cheapo instsntish read thermometer that's close to accurate for like good drat 10 bucks.. order it today and you should get it by Weds especially if you do 1 day shipping

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

So I'm going to spatchcock my 19lb turkey and am looking at letting it coast along at 325 for the smoke. The google machine times are all over the place. Hell times I'm looking at would barely cook a 6 or 7 lb chicken in my experience.

Anyone else done this?

Did a 20 lb. spatchcocked turkey in the oven at 350 Saturday and it was done in ~90 minutes. Probably will be slightly longer on a smoker at a lower temp but I bet it's done in 2 hours.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well ok then, colored me a tad surprised.

I was looking at around 4 hours whole so I guess perhaps spatchcocking will get her down to 2.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
First time I cooked a turkey in my WSM I didn't use enough charcoal so I dumped in the last of the bag using the hatch. Yup, big cloud of charcoal dust rose up through the grates and dusted all over my nice turkey. That was when I learned not to dump charcoal into a running WSM and instead put in handfuls.

re: Spatchcocking, I've been doing this for a few years and this year I bought an industrial set of shears. Chopped through that sucker like butter!

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 21, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A5 wagyu BMS11 ribeye cap paired with a puree of golden beets and parsnip topped with balsamic roasted brussels sprouts.

Smoked low at 170 for an hour prior to searing.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I bought a Flame Boss 400 last month and it's been working great for me the last few weekends. There is one fatal flaw as I found out today.

All of the traffic has to go through their server. Which is currently getting hammered.

I managed to get it set up but since I was starting the fire in the smoker I only set the pit temp to 100F. I can't change it now because the website is unresponsive. Neither is the app. I'm trying to get it set up in local mode but even that's not working for me.

Luckily I'm just making smoked mac and cheese. Worst case I'll do it in the oven and it'll be baked mac and cheese. But holy poo poo, of all days to not have decent webhosting when you sell a cloud based smoker controller, Thanksgiving is probably one of the worst.

Edit: just checked their FB page and evidently the same thing happened last year. Wow.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 22, 2018

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Buddy and I smoked 7 briskets, 7 shoulders and 6 turkeys for the local Food Bank Staff and Volunteer appreciation lunch yesterday. Due to "things" we borrowed a smoker and had some difficulties getting things rolling at the beginning (figuring out the right airflow tricks and such to get this badboy to temp for instance) but found that a larger smoker is actually more forgiving regarding keeping it at temp. Overall much fun and tasty BBQ was had by all.

I failed to get Money Shots since we were carving and such to keep up with the demands of the hungry mob. Pork ran a bit faster than expected and hit temp between fire checks. Briskets were either right on or a little over (falling apart too much). I wasn't a fan of the bark on them (I think a couple were too close to the firebox for a while) but they were well received. Turkeys came out perfect aside from the skin. With a big overnight smoke like this, I'm really leaning towards getting a larger group so we can have proper shifts instead of alternating fire checks between 3 of us every 30 minutes. If we had done that we probably would have had better bark and been less all over the place when the pork should have come off the heat.

The smoker itself:

Many Trees died to bring us this BBQ

Breakfast is the second most important meal of the Smoke

Turkeys and pans of pulled pork resting before carving and serving

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is really loving cool. Thanks for sharing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Great thing to do.

But cripes, you cranked out food that probably blew most people away so don't beat yourself up...especially since you were on a "new to us smoker." That basically demonstrates skill.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it even possible to smoke a chicken or turkey without the whole thing turning black on the outside and looking burned?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I. M. Gei posted:

Is it even possible to smoke a chicken or turkey without the whole thing turning black on the outside and looking burned?

My smoked poultry doesn't typically looked burned? Here's today's turkey prior to a quick trip in the oven to crisp the skin:

Did a 22lb bird for my second Thanksgiving. 22lbs was way too much, but Costco seemed to only have ~12lb birds or ~22lb birds so I went with the later. Wished I went with two of the smaller ones in retrospect. I had to drive it across town after cooking and two smaller birds would have been a lot more manageable.

Turkey turned out great, but I completely neglected to think about carving. My dad pulled out a knife that looked like it must have been a garage sale acquisition and tried to sharpen it up. Needless to say, carving was a nightmare. I cut the leftovers up when I got home and even my mediocre knife set was a night and day improvement.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Looks good...about how mine turned out.

And yeah, spatchcock saves a shitload amount of time like all of you said. Couldn't believe how short the cooking time was cooking a 19lb bird. Turned out great, was fun when it's 30F outside.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I’ve got a lamb shoulder I’ll throw in the Weber tomorrow. I made up a rub based on Turkish mint baharat with some pomegranate molasses brushed on first to help it stick. It’s my first attempt at pulled lamb so hopefully it goes well. I think mutton would work better but that is quite hard to come by.

I also grabbed a couple of lamb necks while I was in the butchers, they were only a couple of bucks each and if they turn out ok it’ll be good to know I’ve got a cheap source of bbq fodder

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 24, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Well that seemed to work pretty well, the necks were nice and soft a few hours before the forequarter which I guess I should have expected. The meat just fell off the bones, one of them fell apart when I went to pick it up. The smoke didn't stand out, but I was using apple pellets which may not have been strong enough to match it with red meat and all the spices I used.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wacha.got there? Some pork.butt.. some ribs?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I did salmon and turkey this year. I had a minor freakout at how charred the exterior of the turkey looked but I should have had faith and trusted the thermometer that said it was 150 in the breast. (It was, and it was loving delicious.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

First brisket ever. Was just the flat I think, but it came out great.

https://twitter.com/felixpotvin/status/1066112405850140672

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Chemmy posted:

Nice smoke ring, nice bark, nice internal consistency, nice slicing. Good work!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chemmy posted:

Maybe it's just the picture, but that looks super dry? To be fair, I see this issue at BBQ joints more than not.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I was going to say it probably the perspective compared to the knives but since if it was a flat that must be some dwarf cow.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

So, I guess my achilles heel is cheap pork, because I stumbled across some good deals this weekend and picked up about 30lbs of it. The pork butt ($0.88/lb) I know what to do with, but I also picked up some pork tenderloin for about $1.00/lb with a plan to cut it into pork chops. Anything non-porkchop related I should consider for some of it? I also have sous vide available to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I smoke whole pork tenderloins all the time, and it works great.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So, I guess my achilles heel is cheap pork, because I stumbled across some good deals this weekend and picked up about 30lbs of it. The pork butt ($0.88/lb) I know what to do with, but I also picked up some pork tenderloin for about $1.00/lb with a plan to cut it into pork chops. Anything non-porkchop related I should consider for some of it? I also have sous vide available to me.

Pork chops are usually cut from the regular loin, rather than the smaller tenderloin. In addition to cooking them whole, you can butterfly them and re-roll them with pesto or some other filling.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

snyprmag posted:

Pork chops are usually cut from the regular loin, rather than the smaller tenderloin. In addition to cooking them whole, you can butterfly them and re-roll them with pesto or some other filling.

Sorry, it was indeed loin, not tenderloin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, guess one of those roll your own type things. Stores label their cuts with anything now so do what you want. Not a bad price.