Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pwn posted:

I hadn’t watched yet, and of course he had to horn in on their spot. It’s only their last time on the show.

Christ, he can be a dick, sometimes.

tbf every host is a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait how was he being a dick? He praised them extensively

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

pwn posted:

I hadn’t watched yet, and of course he had to horn in on their spot. It’s only their last time on the show.

Uh you should watch it, I think you're getting mad about a web exclusive clip and missed the 5 minute solo TV performance they got?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Alright i may have jumped the gun there.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Conan's drummer has got a real Buddy Rich look going on with the suit and that grin. Even kind of looks like him in the face sometimes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That bass solo was brutal. Gonna miss the band most I think.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Did the Basic Cable band every do gigs outside of Conan's show? Seems like a short schedule for the band if it is just the show filming and nothing else.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

How many of you guys regularly watched the TBS show consistently? It felt pretty tired for me for the most part, like it was the same kind of show they had been doing for 20 years.

It's sad to see the end of an era of Conan being a Late Night Talk Show Host, but I'm glad he'll be able to focus on things that I think fit the times (and his own comedic sensibilities) more, like remote bits and the casual podcast (the charlie rose youtube show he sometimes did was the best thing he's done in years).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

piratepilates posted:

How many of you guys regularly watched the TBS show consistently? It felt pretty tired for me for the most part, like it was the same kind of show they had been doing for 20 years.

It's sad to see the end of an era of Conan being a Late Night Talk Show Host, but I'm glad he'll be able to focus on things that I think fit the times (and his own comedic sensibilities) more, like remote bits and the casual podcast (the charlie rose youtube show he sometimes did was the best thing he's done in years).
Me! I may not have watched it live every night, but I at least DVRed every episode and I've probably seen every single episode of the entire TBS run. It may not always have been as great as Late Night, but there were always dumb bits and Conan riffing on things going wrong with the show and a lot of really fun travel shows/remote bits, though the new format will continue that last bit.

I'm excited for the podcast if it's like the interviews he does on his TBS show except more casual and without TV restrictions. He has amazing chemistry with some of his guests, so I'm hoping that'll translate to the podcast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pwn posted:

What a dumb post.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I watched a lot of it, I also DVRed every episode but frequently skipped the monologues. His guest interviews were usually pretty fun, even when the guests were bad, so I’m looking forward to the podcast. He didn’t get to do many remotes but those were always the highlights so it’s nice that Conan 2.0 will be focusing on those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember before Captain America came out the whole "LOOKS GOOOOOOD!" bit and literally no one else that I knew and hung around with at the time saw it or knew what I was talking about. Then I'd see it brought back a few nights later, and same old thing from my friends; nothing.

It was like a comedy bit in and of itself, that I looked like the weirdo who was imagining it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Clip clop cloppety clip

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sometimes I wonder if Craig could get away with how bawdy his show was in today's climate.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I feel like Conan missed a huge opportunity after the tonight show fiasco. His last few weeks there were so genuine and amazing and I thought it would carry through to TBS but he just did the most straight take on the genre possible. I watched it for a good year until I gave up on it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Here we go, though it's 40 seconds of something that lasted weeks, to the point where it stopped being funny and then got funny again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rApvIgq_vjY

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm excited for that website with old shows. I really hope there's a random button.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Vader posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Craig could get away with how bawdy his show was in today's climate.

His show on Sirius XM is basically the same, minus Geoff and the visual gags.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Timby posted:

His show on Sirius XM is basically the same, minus Geoff and the visual gags.

What station and when?

Also, I was thinking more about how often he would comment on breasts and such.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm excited for that website with old shows. I really hope there's a random button.

oh man thats a hole of productivity

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Vader posted:

What station and when?

He actually hasn't done a new episode in like five months, presumably because he was shooting a movie and prepping for his new tour.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Milo and POTUS posted:

Clip clop cloppety clip

I have an mp3 of this whole song and when I put my music on random it will come on and it’s the best.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The first ep of Conan's new pod is up and it's good times with Will Ferrell!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Timby posted:

He actually hasn't done a new episode in like five months, presumably because he was shooting a movie and prepping for his new tour.

I also just learned this and I miss Craig's show and I found the YouTube channel and I'm so excited to do my work poorly tomorrow! :dance:

E: replied to wrong post sorry

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Not really a big fan of him but Seth Myers' Thanksgiving show is so :3:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember before Captain America came out the whole "LOOKS GOOOOOOD!" bit and literally no one else that I knew and hung around with at the time saw it or knew what I was talking about. Then I'd see it brought back a few nights later, and same old thing from my friends; nothing.

It was like a comedy bit in and of itself, that I looked like the weirdo who was imagining it.

You’re not crazy, my friend and I have been saying that after trailers ever since that skit. We also love (high patched voice) “I’m THOOOR!” from when Thor Dark World was coming out.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Do we know if Jordan Schlansky will stay on for the new Conan format?

'Cause goddamn, I will never get tired of Conan dunking on him.

That Karate Kid bit from the "Conan without borders" in Japan would be the perfect sendoff, but I'd rather keep that irritating snob on the show ...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
FYI netflix (US at least) has Conan without Borders up to Italy (if it's all chronological)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

FYI netflix (US at least) has Conan without Borders up to Italy (if it's all chronological)
No Armenia or Berlin. Sad!

Not sure if the Qater episode “counts,” but it’s missing too, as well as the proto-Cw/oB, Finland (but that was on Late Night, I wouldn’t expect it to be included.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Colbert is my favourite late night show, but man, I'm really getting tired of him saying 'Fans of <whatever> here tonight' whenever the audience laughs at a joke.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
When does Conan’s new show start?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nanigans posted:

When does Conan’s new show start?

Have the old episodes popped up on youtube yet?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

His new show hasn't started yet BUT the podcast is pretty fun. The latest ep with Maron is great Marc brings up the tonight show and why wasn't he on it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The Marc Maron episode of Conan's podcast is fine until Marc asks him why he wasn't on the Tonight Show and then it turns amazing so check that part out at the very least. Video below at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQ2G4TQ7aQ&t=2522s

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Veskit posted:

The Marc Maron episode of Conan's podcast is fine until Marc asks him why he wasn't on the Tonight Show and then it turns amazing so check that part out at the very least. Video below at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQ2G4TQ7aQ&t=2522s

Classic Maron.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 9, 2019

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Haha Jon Batiste is a huge nerd, his new album has a cover of "Green Hill Zone" from Sonic the Hedgehog.

Oh man, suddenly his awkwardness when The Late Show first started makes a lot more sense.

His rapport with Colbert has gotten way better now that they've sort of had time to feel each other out (especially just for quick cut-away facial reactions during the monologue), and he's super eloquent when I hear him in interviews, but this explains soooo much. Between the Zelda/FFVII stuff that's popped up and this, I just can't help but love the big nerdo.

Jiro posted:

I barely stumbled on this when Deon came on, and was like oh awesome one of the old writers! :smith: I'm so sad they're having to cut the band. Does this mean Andy is gone again too? Was kinda hoping for an appearance from Max if this is the Basic Cable Band's last hurrah. :smith:

Right until the end, I figured Max was going to pop up somewhere. Weak...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SamBishop posted:

Oh man, suddenly his awkwardness when The Late Show first started makes a lot more sense.

His rapport with Colbert has gotten way better now that they've sort of had time to feel each other out (especially just for quick cut-away facial reactions during the monologue), and he's super eloquent when I hear him in interviews, but this explains soooo much. Between the Zelda/FFVII stuff that's popped up and this, I just can't help but love the big nerdo.

It's a real crapshoot with talk show band directors. Jon Batiste is getting less awkward and is really coming into his own; they're cutting to him for more than just "Yeah!"'s now, and he's getting better at the banter. I like how he punctuates Colbert's pantomimes (like hanging up an imaginary phone) with little musical hits.

It looks like he's avoiding Branford Marsalis' fate, which is good. Marsalis never looked comfortable on camera. I don't know if it was nerves, comfort level, or just interest in playing the game; he was bad at it, and he got replaced after a few years (if memory serves) with Kevin Eubanks, who was as natural at the role as Paul Shaffer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's just a slightly new twist on a well-worn comedy staple, but I really got a kick out of Colbert stringing together beer name puns last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xizCOdu3_1E

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tarlibone posted:

It's a real crapshoot with talk show band directors. Jon Batiste is getting less awkward and is really coming into his own; they're cutting to him for more than just "Yeah!"'s now, and he's getting better at the banter. I like how he punctuates Colbert's pantomimes (like hanging up an imaginary phone) with little musical hits.

It looks like he's avoiding Branford Marsalis' fate, which is good. Marsalis never looked comfortable on camera. I don't know if it was nerves, comfort level, or just interest in playing the game; he was bad at it, and he got replaced after a few years (if memory serves) with Kevin Eubanks, who was as natural at the role as Paul Shaffer.

Does Seth not give any time whatsoever to his band? I watch none of these shows live or in full, just the official clips put up on youtube, but even still, I see a ton of Jon, Fallon obviously is practically co-hosting bits with the Roots. Does Jimmy Kimmel even have a band?

I don't care about James Cordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does Seth not give any time whatsoever to his band?

The less Fred Armisen is seen or heard, the better.