Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jenny Nicholson on Fantastic Beasts 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUJ_ODfc8w

"Rowling had two ideas that she scratched down on a napkin in a cafe 20 years ago: Boy-In-Cupboard-Actually-Wizard and The-Snake-Is-A-Korean-Lady."

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

Hey man, I had to watch him dump on Mega Man Legends, and I pulled through. :colbert:

On to another topic, who here's a fan of FF XIV?

Well, Rock Paper Shotgun put out an article the other day where one of the writers attended the Las Vegas convention, and it's not gone over well.

One of the points of contention:

https://twitter.com/jes8965/status/1065448534089113600
https://twitter.com/ShinGokaiRed/status/1065477026335752192

Apparently, it was bad enough to get his press pass revoked.

what a douche? whats wrong with intrigate cosplay? i wish i was that loving talented. why is he being a weird paternalistic prude shithead too.

Max Wilco posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you somewhat on that one. They've been sliding downhill for the last few years, I think because of the change in staff.

John 'Gameplay is a forbidden word on RPS' Walker

In case you think I'm joking:

jesus christ. what a lovely site. it reads like its desperatly trying to be waypoint except failing on every level and every person was lovely clone of patrick kleppek.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

"Rowling had two ideas that she scratched down on a napkin in a cafe 20 years ago: Boy-In-Cupboard-Actually-Wizard and The-Snake-Is-A-Korean-Lady."

I like the point Jenny brings up that it puts wizards in an awful light if they could stop WW2 but don't. Also, yes, J.K. We're very certain you decided to have Voldemort's snake be a Korean woman ages ago. Representation!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also I'm real bummed she didn't bring up that JK literally had official art made of book 4 fetal rear end voldemort suckling nagini's snake titties for sustenance and that's a real thing you can find if you google image search 'voldemort nagini milk' which you should because it's hilarious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:allbuttons:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

google image search 'voldemort nagini milk' which you should because it's hilarious.

:lol:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The only canon retcon for Harry Potter I'll believe is that Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders, and no amount of supplementary materials will ever get me to change that.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Having seen Fantastic Beasts 2 due to family dragging me along last night, I can confirm everything Jenny says in that video is real. It was easily the worst thing I’ve seen all year.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
man, JK Rowling turned out to be pretty poo poo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

rudecyrus posted:

What do you have against snake tits?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno, Korean snake lady is bad but "tragic mulatto who dies for two white guys" is also up there.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's kind of hard to be angry at any particular misstep in Fantastic Beasts 2 because the whole movie is just kind of a mess.

Honestly, the few remaining creature segments stood out as at least decent. Kind of a shame that they had to go back to the evil wizard well.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Inspector Gesicht posted:

just brutal right up to the stinger, love it

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

rudecyrus posted:

Don't worry, after her prequels are universally hated Disney will buy the rights 20 years from now, reboot the entire thing and HBG will come to the defense of said prequels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Just saw grindlewald with my gf. The creatures and stuff were ok but everything else was all over the place or just weirdly dark or dumb. I liked the last one because it was just some social awkward magical herper and his comic relief friend loving around with weird animals.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dunno, Korean snake lady is bad but "tragic mulatto who dies for two white guys" is also up there.

Yeah that was pretty hosed but I actually liked her character which makes it suck more.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Man, I'm so depressed that Fantastic Beasts 2 sucks. I really liked the first one and hated all the flak it got for Newt being "boring," or whatever. I was so drat ready to see the Grindlewald/Young Dumbledore/WW2 era wizard war backstory play out since its the only thing I've wanted out of More Harry Potter since I read books 6 and 7 in loving high school. Like, I literally waited almost half my life for this movie and its poo poo.

This is it. This is how 80s kids felt while I was a stupid 5th grader wooping over the swordfights in Phantom Menace.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I actually am a player of FFXIV and I respect anyone with the guts to try and pull off this costume IRL

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

bladeworksmaster posted:

Having seen Fantastic Beasts 2 due to family dragging me along last night, I can confirm everything Jenny says in that video is real. It was easily the worst thing I’ve seen all year.

You should go see Robin Hood just to give it some competition.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

The video you and Crystal did on it is fantastic. You should have done a Book of Henry reaction one with her just off screen. “Crystal gets progressively more confused and frustrated at absurd cinematic choices” is a beautiful thing to behold.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

The video you and Crystal did on it is fantastic. You should have done a Book of Henry reaction one with her just off screen. “Crystal gets progressively more confused and frustrated at absurd cinematic choices” is a beautiful thing to behold.

Seconded. An excellent vlog format.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

nine-gear crow posted:

that wasn't crystal

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

as bad as that movie is. it looks like it would be alot more fun to see then fantastic beasts too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solitair posted:

I actually am a player of FFXIV and I respect anyone with the guts to try and pull off this costume IRL

yea every pic of a Tsukuyomi cosplayer has always involved so much effort it's hilarious to use them as your 'heh yea you WOULD like this, idiot' target.

Like, yea, the lady who probably painted her fuckin skin black and white and walked around a crowded convention in a flowy kimono just because she dug the character probably was psyched to be at a FF event, got em.

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm gonna see The Crimes of Gumbydunk with some other HP fan friends to just bathe in the garbage, but I'm so ironically excited to see what a dumpster fire Robin Hood is I may talk them into seeing that first.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Robin Hood movie looks like it had no illusions to be good or "important viewing", so it could be fun in its badness.

Harry Potter is one of those pedigree movies which are supposed to be accepted as good, which is why we're seeing some fan backlash to the critics who panned Fantastic Beasts 2 because they "missed the good stuff"

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Man, I know it's not really relevant but my videos get confirmed demonetized within seconds of asking for a review now. I guess it was a MGTOW channel takedown. That's the kind of material I make fun of so they blacklisted me along with them. Looking like I might have to get a job again. Youtube is a really lovely employer. I'm sure that was obvious from the start, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

as much as i hate too, i will try to expound on two issues of crimes of johnny depp. I kinda took the whole "look at horrors of ww2" as a hamfisted of villain man saying "look at the dumb muggle fucks, they are barbarian morons who kill and destroy, they need to be brought to heel because they are dumb animal others". its loving terribly handled. on the goldie thing. she is desperate moron. idk i mean jewish alt right types exist. so i can see someone who wants to gently caress paul blart as a someone who would join wizard hitler.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Robin Hood movie looks like it had no illusions to be good or "important viewing", so it could be fun in its badness.

Harry Potter is one of those pedigree movies which are supposed to be accepted as good, which is why we're seeing some fan backlash to the critics who panned Fantastic Beasts 2 because they "missed the good stuff"

yeah. robin hood is a dumb fun schlocky bad movie that isn't pretending. harry potter is basically star wars/marvel to alot of people. i am sure if i were a bigger fan, id probably be pissed. instead i am kinda disappointed because there are some bits of good ideas and concepts they could have gone with but instead its just bleh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. robin hood is a dumb fun schlocky bad movie that isn't pretending. harry potter is basically star wars/marvel to alot of people. i am sure if i were a bigger fan, id probably be pissed. instead i am kinda disappointed because there are some bits of good ideas and concepts they could have gone with but instead its just bleh.

I'm sure there are fans who are angrier but as one of the typical 'I grew up with HP it came out in like fourth grade for me and I still kinda love it even if its dumb as poo poo' fans I'm just laughing at poo poo like this and Cursed Child at this point.

Also I'll say Fantastic Beasts 1 is legit though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fantastic Beasts 1 is two decent movies that should not have been mixed together. I was all set to watch Crocodile Hunter: Magic Edition, but I was also interested in the Crime Novel plot they had going on with Credence. The two just do not blend well at all.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FB2 makes FB1 look like <your fave HP movie here>.
FWIW I really enjoyed FB1, but even leaving the theatre I knew it was going to shift focus in a way, fast.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

none of the harry potter movies are good

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

addendum: none of the harry potter books, also, are good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I'm sure there are fans who are angrier but as one of the typical 'I grew up with HP it came out in like fourth grade for me and I still kinda love it even if its dumb as poo poo' fans I'm just laughing at poo poo like this and Cursed Child at this point.

Also I'll say Fantastic Beasts 1 is legit though.

oh yeah. i loved the books when i read them in elementary school and middle school. my gf still enjoys it but she hates/laughs at the new stuff.

FB1 was a fun different movie. wish it had been him loving around with the thunderbird and not damaged kid gets shot by wizard cops.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fantastic Beasts 1 is two decent movies that should not have been mixed together. I was all set to watch Crocodile Hunter: Magic Edition, but I was also interested in the Crime Novel plot they had going on with Credence. The two just do not blend well at all.

yea I thought they did ok with it but it's a pity they went with the 'crime novel wizards' track and not 'silly wizard animal funtimes'.

You can still do serious stories there, evil poachers can exist and poo poo, but just give us fun animal magic times we don't need half the movie to be Very Serious Wizard Talk in the parlour

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea I thought they did ok with it but it's a pity they went with the 'crime novel wizards' track and not 'silly wizard animal funtimes'.

You can still do serious stories there, evil poachers can exist and poo poo, but just give us fun animal magic times we don't need half the movie to be Very Serious Wizard Talk in the parlour

you could make it poacher wizards or maybe the lovely american wizard government believes that the animals are a threat or some poo poo. idk. wizard/HP world is to Utopian and dystopian at the same time.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I suspect maybe Rowling is tired of whimsy and just wants to write more mystery novels or something.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

FB1 was a fun different movie. wish it had been him loving around with the thunderbird and not damaged kid gets shot by wizard cops.

I went with family because my niece is absolutely nuts for Harry Potter and there wasn't much else out this Thanksgiving. And the moment they go Oh, btw Creedence lived through the firing squad because...gently caress it, I guess we couldn't come up with another plot thread. was when I settled in for a rough ride. Maybe it's because I only saw FB 1 a few days ago, but that felt like a crazy decision.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few days after the first Fantastic Beasts film came out they announced they'd written and shot a scene in which Credence survived (and that it was canon) but wasn't in the film because ~reasons~.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as bad as that movie is. it looks like it would be alot more fun to see then fantastic beasts too.

Fantastic Beasts: Fantastic Beasts, Too?