Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Epilogue spoiler So do they ever show or explain what happened to Karen? Everyone else seems to have their plot done but she just disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are the drawings of animals on the map based on any kind of probability or are just there to mock me? Because I'm almost sure Bisons do not exist in the game besides that one instance with Javier (Charles?).

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

blackguy32 posted:

Epilogue spoiler So do they ever show or explain what happened to Karen? Everyone else seems to have their plot done but she just disappeared.

Sadie mentions the bottle got her. She went even deeper into drink, and died from it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Are the drawings of animals on the map based on any kind of probability or are just there to mock me? Because I'm almost sure Bisons do not exist in the game besides that one instance with Javier (Charles?).

Yes, the legendary ones get little crowns on their picture too.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I was thinking the other week how this political time NEEDS A NEW GTA and that we don’t have one because we live in an era where R* games need 300 million dollars to make a game now and they take five years to make.

What I’m telling you is that this the longest this gta fan has gone without a new gta ever and we aren’t getting one till 2021-22 at best.

Will RDR2 scratch my GTA itch?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Himuro posted:

I was thinking the other week how this political time NEEDS A NEW GTA and that we don’t have one because we live in an era where R* games need 300 million dollars to make a game now and they take five years to make.

What I’m telling you is that this the longest this gta fan has gone without a new gta ever and we aren’t getting one till 2021-22 at best.

Probably not. It's not GTA but with horses. It's much slower paced. You can't carry 87 weapons on you, you need to take care if your horse etc.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
True, but going on a killing spree in St Denis, shotgunning lawmen and chucking dynamite from horseback does scratch a certain GTA itch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Himuro posted:

No. The pacing is way slower and the missions are not nearly as varied or as fun.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Id argue the missions are more fun. But ive always liked rdr more than gta

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Jesus, was just wandering through the forest looking for the panther. Was pretty dark and couldn't see anything. Turned on eagle eye and it's crouching right at the feet of my horse, freaked me out.

Of course the horse bucked me and ran off.

Lucky I had my rifle equipped.

Panther was 3 stars. :smug:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was turning in a few perfect pelts to the trapper in the far west. My horse and I were trotting up the mountain side, when I heard a roar and my horse spooked. Somehow a dang grizzly bear snuck up on us.

Before I could draw my rifle, I heard another familiar noise--the sound of a cougar. "Well, Cusser," I directed my thoughts to my horse, "we had a good trip. Shame it had to end like this."

But then the grizzly charged the cougar. It swiped, the cougar yowled and ran away with the bear chasing it. I sat there for a second considering the fickleness of the universe before I saw a carcass pop up on my map. The cougar had died and the grizzly had vanished.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Himuro posted:

While it's much slower paces and a far different game, it's much better politically than any GTA game has ever been. And if you're into the shooting/action bits of GTA 4/5 this does that way better also.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Was wandering around in Annesburg and came across a dude hanging from a tree. Got out to investigate, and some of the Murfree brood popped out to ambush. I shot two of them, the last one had a knife and stabbed me head on, and I died immediately? I had some perfect skins that I lost, as well as a nice chunk of cash. Christ.

On the flip, I've definitely tried knifing people myself (non stealth) only to have them take 10 slices before I lose my patience and just switch to a gun anyway.

This kind of inconsistent death logic reminds me of the bits of RDR I hated so much. You can lose a *lot* of progress from these cheap, gotcha traps.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GeorgieMordor posted:

Was wandering around in Annesburg and came across a dude hanging from a tree. Got out to investigate, and some of the Murfree brood popped out to ambush. I shot two of them, the last one had a knife and stabbed me head on, and I died immediately? I had some perfect skins that I lost, as well as a nice chunk of cash. Christ.

On the flip, I've definitely tried knifing people myself (non stealth) only to have them take 10 slices before I lose my patience and just switch to a gun anyway.

This kind of inconsistent death logic reminds me of the bits of RDR I hated so much. You can lose a *lot* of progress from these cheap, gotcha traps.

You're blaming the game because you got distracted by a body hanging from a tree when you were loaded with perfect skins?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

You're blaming the game because you got distracted by a body hanging from a tree when you were loaded with perfect skins?

The risk was mine to take for investigating, but I wasn't distracted. I mean, isn't that risk the fun? It's the inconsistencies that I think are a valid criticism, and make me feel the only way to alleviate is save-scumming which...pfff.

Insta-knifedeath would be fair / challenging / rewarding in a game that had, say, a dodge mechanic? A parry mechanic? Player should have a reason to adequately screw up OR succeed. They should also be encouraged to take risks and rely on learned skill to come out on top. Not a situational thing that just kills you with the previous rules thrown out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the knife is one hit if you charge people with it, or if it’s a stealth kill obviously. So I think the brood guys are doing a one hit knife charge.

I think one of the jarring things about the game and the pace is that you can spend a long time just dicking around but every once in a while unexpectedly (brood, cougar, etc) the game changes gears on you and it can be hard to adjust. Which, I guess is kind of real, but can be annoying when for instance you just wanted to watch the cinematic travel screen.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Eat your Mint Big Game and you won't die to that sort of thing! :eng101:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Dogen posted:

I think the knife is one hit if you charge people with it, or if it’s a stealth kill obviously. So I think the brood guys are doing a one hit knife charge.

I think one of the jarring things about the game and the pace is that you can spend a long time just dicking around but every once in a while unexpectedly (brood, cougar, etc) the game changes gears on you and it can be hard to adjust. Which, I guess is kind of real, but can be annoying when for instance you just wanted to watch the cinematic travel screen.

The western genre is in part defined by a meandering pace broken up by bits of sudden violence.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
The Murfree Brood guy may have been using a machete too, which I believe is a one shot even in Arthur's hands.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I came up on a couple dudes trying to crack a safe and they got snippy with me so I knifed one of em, killing him in one shot. Not sure how I did it but it scared the poo poo out of the other guy

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The throwing axe works as a melee weapon until you get a proper hatchet, when you chase someone down with it Arthur grabs their shoulder, leads them a step or two and buries it in their stomach like some fuckin last of the Mohicans poo poo.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Colonel Whitey posted:

I came up on a couple dudes trying to crack a safe and they got snippy with me so I knifed one of em, killing him in one shot. Not sure how I did it but it scared the poo poo out of the other guy

I came across this too, but relieved them of their safe much less gracefully.

How did you get into the safe, btw? I used a stick of dynamite, almost killing my horse in the process.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

GeorgieMordor posted:

I came across this too, but relieved them of their safe much less gracefully.

How did you get into the safe, btw? I used a stick of dynamite, almost killing my horse in the process.

You can also open it by throwing a hatchet at it if you hit it just right. Arthur has a hell of an arm.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dogen posted:

I had no idea you could do one hit kills, so I tried to figure it out. Pressing O as you run up to someone does the usual tackle, but if you wait until the last possible instant when you're almost touching them it becomes an instant kill move instead if you're using a hatchet or cleaver type thing. The hunting knives and long blades like the machete seem to do a tackle no matter what, with an option to execute from there.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

GeorgieMordor posted:

Same

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Funny thing about the 2 safecrackers. I approach them and they give me the "get the gently caress outta here" but I want that safe money so I hit ROB. Arthur starts up saying something like "Alright fellers step away from the ---*BOOM* their dynamite just goes off from nothing and Arthur gets thrown and is like WHAT THE gently caress. I love this game.

Dont get distracted when working with explosives

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
Gambler challenges can eat my whole rear end.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

How long does it take for the panther to respawn? I managed to kill one but it was only 2 stars.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I remember people were earlier asking for a complete list of pelts and all that for crafting. I also know someone already posted a list but here's some more that I found on reddit.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

How long does it take for the panther to respawn? I managed to kill one but it was only 2 stars.

Panthers spawn in the evening/night, so in theory you can ride/walk around until morning and possibly hit a second. There are also two different types of panthers, found basically across a road from each other, so you can move to the other side of the road from where you found the panther you killed and possibly find another one as well.

GeorgieMordor posted:

If you reload the quicksave after a death, you get to keep the medium skins on your horse. Whatever large skin you had will still be gone, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Considering Rockstars silence, I take it Red Dead Online is not launching this year after all? A bit disappointed after their claim of the mode launching in November, but it seems like the interest in online is non-existent.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

shortspecialbus posted:

Eat your Mint Big Game and you won't die to that sort of thing! :eng101:

No you'll just take enough damage to die in the next hit while the animation priority means you can't move Arthur anyway.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Considering Rockstars silence, I take it Red Dead Online is not launching this year after all? A bit disappointed after their claim of the mode launching in November, but it seems like the interest in online is non-existent.

They said the online beta would launch before the end of this month, no date specified. I would imagine that if it were gonna be delayed, they would have said something by now. Have faith, brother.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

Fat Samurai posted:

There's a place called Heartland Overflow just north of Emerald Ranch. Ride there and start going west and you'll run into a huge herd of them. Like I just did it and there were about 15 running about.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I alaways assume I might randomly get killed, so I save immediately after loading any pelt or killing any legendary.

As for the safe crackers, if you pass them up but then don’t go too far off, they’ll blow themselves up and leave the safe open for you.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

There's a place called Heartland Overflow just north of Emerald Ranch. Ride there and start going west and you'll run into a huge herd of them. Like I just did it and there were about 15 running about.

Not only are they always there, but also there are lots of three star ones and they move slowly most of the time so they’re very easy to hunt.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw this, and now so do you.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 27, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

They said the online beta would launch before the end of this month, no date specified. I would imagine that if it were gonna be delayed, they would have said something by now. Have faith, brother.

I just would have thought there would be a trailer explaining online mode by now. Rockstar has to launch it next week to meet their promise. :( But i'll try to stay hopeful. I am just really excited to live out my Westworld fantasy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

R.L. Stine posted:

Gambler challenges can eat my whole rear end.

This, but all the challenges (save for treasure hunter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lambert posted:

This, but all the challenges (save for treasure hunter).

Some of the bandit ones were actually pretty fun. Same with hunter and weapons expert. A lot of them were tedious and grindy or outright bad though.