Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

JossiRossi posted:

As a heads up, this game is super good, but seeing someone play it will really alter your experience. A lot of the game is the discovery. Just in case people think they want to experience it for themselves.

I've been intending to buy this game and seeing this LP pop up & your post finally got me to do it. I'm glad I did, because I just finished it in almost one sitting and it's really good. The only gripes I have are how short it is, and the lack of replayability. Other than that I'm more than happy to give Lucas Pope my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

1234567890num posted:

It's because in the bosun's memory (at least it's the bosun according to Homphgomph and Ginko), his mate died by being torn apart. And the tattooed guy died by being torn apart, so they decided that the tattooed guy is the bosun's mate.

Yeah this, the guy dying in the chair asked "where's my Frenchman?" And they told him he was torn apart by the squid. So far everyone else we've seen killed by the squid has been crushed or squeezed so we took an educated guess.

Need to get some pins and red string for this game.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

:siren:Double posting for an update!:siren:

In which we make some wrong assumptions, fix some of those assumptions, and meet the artist!

Part 4

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I said I'd watch along blind but I got the game for myself because I got tired of you not noticing things I wanted to look at :v:

I noticed watching this that the time the pocket watch turns to matches the chapter/page of the book, which will probably help when the deck gets full of bodies and you're trying to pick out which scene you wanted to see.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I said I'd watch along blind but I got the game for myself because I got tired of you not noticing things I wanted to look at :v:

I noticed watching this that the time the pocket watch turns to matches the chapter/page of the book, which will probably help when the deck gets full of bodies and you're trying to pick out which scene you wanted to see.

Woah! Dang that's awesome!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

monkey did it

monkey did it all

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

The watch quirk is helpful, I guess, but I ended up memorizing the location of all the bodies anyway because I needed to go to the memories too many times.

Also, one of the best moments in this game for me is realizing that we're actually visiting the "Justice at Sea" sketch, complete with the artist himself.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 10, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I thought that the artist was a bit cheap, as IDs go. His "portrait" is just his initials, so you can ID him as soon as you encounter him.

Minor mechanics note:

You get a lock-in every time you get three fates perfect. This means that any complete fates you have that don't get locked in are wrong in some way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gnoman posted:

I thought that the artist was a bit cheap, as IDs go. His "portrait" is just his initials, so you can ID him as soon as you encounter him.

The idea is that he's the only one completely absent from all of those sketches. The main character makes that logical step themselves.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The only part of this game that I disliked is that I can't play it again with the same sense of discovery and mystery. After I completed it I just played it again, with the restriction of not making any guesses. I highly suggest anyone playing it to do the same and avoid guesses. All fates CAN be deduced with fairly trustworthy logic.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Teledahn posted:

The only part of this game that I disliked is that I can't play it again with the same sense of discovery and mystery.
That's exactly why I didn't buy the game even though I was very tempted to buy it after seeing part 1 of this LP.

Despite saving €20 by not buying the game, I also got an intense craving to watch the mysteries get solved. So I hopped over to youtube and watched another LP. This only left me frustrated because I eventually ran out of updates to watch. Most LP'ers on there also either just upload twitch streams or go on a 47 minute long soliloquys, add 3 minutes of content at the end and call it an update.

If you are interested and can spare the money, just buy the game. This lets you experience the game at your own pace which is by far a more fun and less frustrating experience.

Teledahn posted:

All fates CAN be deduced with fairly trustworthy logic.
This is also true. Which in itself is a testament to the greatness of this game.

edit: Sir Topham Hat is the greatest silly name so far. I can't look at him in the crew sketch without chuckling. Please continue the good work in naming the crew and passengers.

Pea fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 10, 2018

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Who else was yelling at the screen when he marked that Nunzio Pasqua was killed by Nichols but didn't go and mark Nichols's picture with his name?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

whitehelm posted:

Who else was yelling at the screen when he marked that Nunzio Pasqua was killed by Nichols but didn't go and mark Nichols's picture with his name?

Just FYI this is not a real spoiler for the game. It's just about something which happened in the video which was fairly obvious. The spoiled text does not give any new information.
They'll probably rectify that soon enough.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just FYI this is not a real spoiler for the game. It's just about something which happened in the video which was fairly obvious. The spoiled text does not give any new information.
They'll probably rectify that soon enough.

It's new information to them because they didn't notice it. The whole point of this being blind is for them to figure out everything on their own.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

whitehelm posted:

I'm playing through myself with my partner (but much slower) and I yelled at myself when I made the exact same mistake and then came back to this scene hours later.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Really Pants posted:

monkey did it

monkey did it all

Would legit love if they had him in one of the pictures of the crew and a there was crew member named "Coco" or something.

Gnoman posted:

Minor mechanics note:

You get a lock-in every time you get three fates perfect. This means that any complete fates you have that don't get locked in are wrong in some way.

Yup, we kinda figure that out in this update, comes in handy later when there's a little more guess work.

Pea posted:

If you are interested and can spare the money, just buy the game. This lets you experience the game at your own pace which is by far a more fun and less frustrating experience.

edit: Sir Topham Hat is the greatest silly name so far. I can't look at him in the crew sketch without chuckling. Please continue the good work in naming the crew and passengers.

100% agree, seeing people say they bought the game after watching the first video puts a big dumb smile on my face.

Also, ginko just has a great knack for naming folks, I will always remember Sir Topham Hat.

whitehelm posted:

Haha yeah, we figure this one out eventually...might happen a couple more times!

:siren:Update time!:siren:

Part 5

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Not gonna lie, I cheered a little when you spotted the tags.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Not gonna lie, I cheered a little when you spotted the tags.

Haha, same. Although they then got a bit mixed up with which character they chose to call Sir Topham Hatt.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

One can be Sir Topham Hatt, and the other can be The Fat Controller.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Haha, same. Although they then got a bit mixed up with which character they chose to call Sir Topham Hatt.

Really Pants posted:

One can be Sir Topham Hatt, and the other can be The Fat Controller.

This was definitely my fault, but to be fair, there are at least 2 to 3 different men that have amazing dapper hats.

I'll try not to disappoint with the naming!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
It's really quite easy to remember if you keep the following in mind:

- Topham Hat wears a top hat
- The conductor wears a kepi, just like train conductors do
- Barber shop quartet guy, the other dapper man with a hat, wears a boater hat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
To be fair, this level of dapper is, frankly, blinding. Its easy to mistake one for another when they run in herds. Its a natural defense mechanism, just like zebra stripes

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Slaan posted:

To be fair, this level of dapper is, frankly, blinding. Its easy to mistake one for another when they run in herds. Its a natural defense mechanism, just like zebra stripes

It really takes some effort to pick out those folks in that picture, they blend right in like a magic eye of masculinity.

:siren:Update time!:siren:

Foreign enemy, terrible beast, I mean, what's the real difference? We figure that out eventually, we were being big dumbs

Part 6

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure the stowaway exists solely as a device to let you see that first death, since a crew member killed while they're in port would almost certainly have had their body removed while a stowaway in a barrel could be left in storage.
That said, I'm not sure what purpose chapter 1 serves, story-wise. Chapter 2 (with the sick guys) gives you a snapshot of normal life aboard the ship, and all the ones after that follow the main storyline, but I'm not sure why this scene contributes to the overall plot at all?

Regarding the timing of it, though, it looks like after setting off from London they stopped off at a port elsewhere in Britain to load more cargo - the location marker for chapter 1 is on the Cornish coast. So that's why there's still a picture of the dead guy.

Really it's an oddly large amount of special pleading with the plot just to include a scene that doesn't seem to contribute to the broader mystery of what happened to the Obra Dinn. Unless I'm missing something in there...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The broader mystery of the Obra Dinn isn't so much about what ultimately happened to the ship (it returned to harbor somehow), the requested mystery is what was the fate of the 60 listed crew members. The person who sent us this book and pocketwatch is more interested in those fates than learning the fate of the ship. Chapter 1 doesn't particularly serve to pay into the mystery, though it does explain the fate of one of the crew members. It also explains why someone acted a certain way later on.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm surprised that you don't know what orlop was, considering you walked on it throughout the video. Orlop deck is the third level of the ship, between the gun deck and the cargo deck.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

dscruffy1 posted:

The broader mystery of the Obra Dinn isn't so much about what ultimately happened to the ship (it returned to harbor somehow), the requested mystery is what was the fate of the 60 listed crew members. The person who sent us this book and pocketwatch is more interested in those fates than learning the fate of the ship. Chapter 1 doesn't particularly serve to pay into the mystery, though it does explain the fate of one of the crew members. It also explains why someone acted a certain way later on.

I think Chapter 1 serves to highlight that things were pretty hosed on the ship from the get-go, that it's cursed either literally or metaphorically.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Really it's an oddly large amount of special pleading with the plot just to include a scene that doesn't seem to contribute to the broader mystery of what happened to the Obra Dinn. Unless I'm missing something in there...

Meinberg posted:

I think Chapter 1 serves to highlight that things were pretty hosed on the ship from the get-go, that it's cursed either literally or metaphorically.

It is a little strange to put that tiny little chapter early but I thought maybe that would be explained a little more in the grand scheme of things, I think the trip being cursed is a pretty safe assumption at what that chapter was going for.

dscruffy1 posted:

It also explains why someone acted a certain way later on.

Also that! We'll fill that blank eventually.

1234567890num posted:

I'm surprised that you don't know what orlop was, considering you walked on it throughout the video. Orlop deck is the third level of the ship, between the gun deck and the cargo deck.

I know next to nothing about boats, that's more of ginkos thing

:siren:Time for an update!:siren:

We get a couple things right and learn a whole bunch of new stuff!

Part 7

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

homphgomph posted:

I also know pretty much nothing about boats going in. I just know about it from the map.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, it must accept multiple answers where things are ambiguous. When I played, I had William Wasim crushed by cargo, and that accepted it. Both are true ways to explain the situation, so...

You know you can hit Tab when examining someone to open the book at their picture, rather than having to memorise and find it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yes, most of these have multiplr possible causes. This one also accepted my answer, which is fell off the stairs.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

homphgomph posted:

It's explained in the glossary at the end of the book, which you should be reading all of because it might have clues to identify people.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

whitehelm posted:

It's explained in the glossary at the end of the book, which you should be reading all of because it might have clues to identify people.

We eventually figure this out, but you have no idea how mad I am at myself for forgetting the glossary exists.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

1234567890num posted:

I also know pretty much nothing about boats going in. I just know about it from the map.

Haha fair enough

Tenebrais posted:

Huh, it must accept multiple answers where things are ambiguous. When I played, I had William Wasim crushed by cargo, and that accepted it. Both are true ways to explain the situation, so...

You know you can hit Tab when examining someone to open the book at their picture, rather than having to memorise and find it.

That's interesting and makes sense, I feel like there were a couple situations where multiple causes could have applied.

whitehelm posted:

The timing of this very helpful comment is hilarious, (sorry ginko)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

homphgomph posted:

That's interesting and makes sense, I feel like there were a couple situations where multiple causes could have applied.

The timing of this very helpful comment is hilarious, (sorry ginko)

FYI, for Charles' death you can also put burned. Since he burned after getting spiked along with the beast itself. In the video you didn't recognize the fire which for me is obvious, so :shrug:

That comment made me curious about the rage :unsmigghh:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving if you do that sort of thing! If not, hello! Hi! :siren:Here's an update for you regardless!:siren:

Part 8

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
So I started this game on Wednesday. Finished it today. It's good. Looking forward to actually paying attention to you guy's logic (I've been watching for awhile now but was letting it run in the background so as not to figure too much out before playing it myself).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think that one guy simply caught on fire. You seem to have trouble telling when someone or something is on fire.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think that one guy simply caught on fire. You seem to have trouble telling when someone or something is on fire.

3 min into the video:
"Why is THAT glowing?"
"Because it's fire..."

homphgomph: You didn't have to guess between the brothers. You can see Nathan's hammock strung up during The Doom Part 3 (tagged 48). He's not actually in that scene but the dead guy in Chapter 1 isn't going to be stringing up his hammock days later. No guessing is required in this game.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
actually I think that needs a bit more emphasis

:siren::siren:No guessing is required in this game.:siren::siren:

bruteforcing things is lame yall