Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

If you have AT&T reception, you could look into the "ipad plan" which is $30 and unlimited that many people use with routers like the Nighthawk.

Thanks for the tip! They must have expanded coverage in my area since I last checked. Do you know if they are likely to close this loophole? I'm not really familiar with AT&T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

AT&T is certainly aware people are doing this, and the unofficial word is they don't care. History tends to suggest that companies tend to not care right up until they do, though, of course.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm looking at maybe doing the 200 dollars off the pixel 3 at Best Buy for Black Friday. I already have Verizon and I'd be upgrading. With Verizon Device payment plan, am I able to pay off the amount I owe early and still get the discount, or would Verizon cancel the 200 dollars off if I did that?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Any discount that's phrased as "$X rebate/discount/credit over 24 months" or whatever will be discontinued once you pay it off.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DrDork posted:

Any discount that's phrased as "$X rebate/discount/credit over 24 months" or whatever will be discontinued once you pay it off.

Sorry, I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying. So the discount is on the device itself, it would be 600 over 24 months rather than 800. Would Verizon make me pay 800 if I tried to pay it off early?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sorry, I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying. So the discount is on the device itself, it would be 600 over 24 months rather than 800. Would Verizon make me pay 800 if I tried to pay it off early?

I don’t know the Best Buy promo to give you an exact answer. Normally now when it’s $200 off it’s a $8 credit over two years, so if you buy it out early you don’t get the full credit. However, with Best Buy if they’re applying the discount it’s possible it’s just off the retail price.

Basically, ask Best Buy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cool will do. Thanks!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm looking at maybe doing the 200 dollars off the pixel 3 at Best Buy for Black Friday. I already have Verizon and I'd be upgrading. With Verizon Device payment plan, am I able to pay off the amount I owe early and still get the discount, or would Verizon cancel the 200 dollars off if I did that?

It looks like Google is also running a discount of their own, if Best Buy's one doesn't look like what you want:

Google Store posted:

Black Friday Pixel 3 Deals
Black Friday (11/16 – 11/21): Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL will go up for a BOGO 50% off deal. That’s buy one, get one 50% off, for those new to the deal business.
Black Friday (11/22 – 11/25): If that’s not your deal of choice, Google will follow that up with a $150 price drop on Pixel 3 and $200 on Pixel 3 XL.
Cyber Monday: Buy a Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL and get a Google Home Hub ($149 value) and $50 to spend on Google Store

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hey Duckman! I am up for my yearly iPhone upgrade on my unlimited plan. Am I reading this correctly that if I go through Walmart in Black Friday instead of Verizon, I will pay the normal $1000 for the phone over 2 years, but get a $300 Walmart gift card? Sounds too good to be true.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Hey Duckman! I am up for my yearly iPhone upgrade on my unlimited plan. Am I reading this correctly that if I go through Walmart in Black Friday instead of Verizon, I will pay the normal $1000 for the phone over 2 years, but get a $300 Walmart gift card? Sounds too good to be true.

I don’t work for Walmart, so probably but can’t confirm.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How hard is it to get one of these Black Friday phone deals? I always upgrade at launch and then wonder if I should’ve waited two months for a deal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

How hard is it to get one of these Black Friday phone deals? I always upgrade at launch and then wonder if I should’ve waited two months for a deal.

You go into the store or to the retailer website and give them your credit card, and that's about it? They're not super-stock limited door-busters like some other items are; if you want it, you can get it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Gauge what is a door buster, limited inventory offer vs what you can just order. Even if it’s backordered, most offers you qualify for as long as the order date is the right date. Mileage will vary based on whether it’s Verizon or a box dealer like Best Buy.

I don’t know yet what Verizon itself is running for promos, but for anyone ordering via Verizon’s website, please feel free to reach out and I’ll give you a referral code.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I went to Best Buy today and the dude confirmed that you can just sign in to verizon and pay off the discounted price of the pixel early. The promo for that is going on right now both online and in store if you wanted a pixel 3 and didn't want to deal with craziness in person on Black Friday. The store I went to and the one that I had him check on had 2 left at each store.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Taking on a VzW business account at work.

Anything I should know to get the best deals out of my rep?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Taking on a VzW business account at work.

Anything I should know to get the best deals out of my rep?

I don’t understand the question.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I upgraded my wife’s phone at Costco, and the guy at the kiosk told us multiple times that he couldn’t waive the 30 dollar activation fee, but if we called Verizon that they would probably do it for us. Is that likely? Do I just call the main customer service line? Tell them it’s a billing issue I guess?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I upgraded my wife’s phone at Costco, and the guy at the kiosk told us multiple times that he couldn’t waive the 30 dollar activation fee, but if we called Verizon that they would probably do it for us. Is that likely? Do I just call the main customer service line? Tell them it’s a billing issue I guess?

I mean, they could and it’s probably a 50/50 shot. Call and ask, and the worst they say is no. The Costco person is correct that he himself could not waive it.

And it isn’t a billing issue, you were informed of it. It’s a customer service issue, what you’re asking for essentially is not to pay the setup fee because you are staying with Verizon. Can’t hurt to ask.

chosen one
Jul 30, 2004

Lobster, the other, other, other white meat.
Lady friend is wanting to upgrade from iPhone 5 (or 5s) currently on Verizon post-pay account. Phone is having issues functioning sometimes is all I know. She prefers to stay with an iPhone vs going droid, but she does not want anything bigger/heavier than her current phone. After sending her some articles to read to familiarize herself with phone spec comparisons, she is sold on getting an iPhone SE with Verizon.

Is it possible she could buy a prepaid Verizon iPhone SE from Best Buy or from Verizon (when the 32GB comes back in stock) and just put in her current SIM, or would it not be allowed? (Basically, can she use the new prepaid Verizon iPhone SE as a BYOD?) She would prefer to stay with post pay, though I don't know the specifics of what plans she has currently. I haven't been able to find a decent answer to this....a YMMV at best.

Related:
I know she wants to keep her current number, doesn't use much data (1-2 GB monthly at most), and is a teacher in one of the poorest paid states for teachers - so her budget is limited by this. So if you had another idea that might work I'd be open to hearing it, or another small form factor android with a camera better than the iPhone 5 and more than 16GB of storage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure you should hold your breath for iPhones SE to come back in stock. They're not being sold by Apple, so I doubt resellers are going to be getting any. Even with that in mind, I believe prepaid Verizon phones have to be activated on prepaid for 90 days or something before you can move it to postpaid (Duckman2008 would have a better idea there).

There's not really any phones at all in that size that are worth noting beyond maybe some Sony that's going to be substantially more expensive. I hate to say it, but she probably needs to suck it up and at least get an iPhone 7.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, there are a few things. In no particular order

-prepaid SEs are likely while supplies last. I personally haven’t seen them in stock at Verizon stores. (Eventually I would wager the 6S would replace it at whatever price point)

-I’ve never tried an prepaid SE on postpaid. In general, prepaid phones require one month service (used to be 6, now its only one) on prepaid before they are unlocked for postpaid. So I definitely would not guarantee a prepaid SE from best buy without first activating it on a random prepaid number for instance.

-in general, the SE is still a good phone, but honestly, even with small budget, etc, it’s probably st the point where I would look elsewhere. I personally recommend an iPhone 8, even used, because it’s not a huge jump from the iPhone 7 price wise, and the iPhone 7 has an issue where it just stops getting service, so it is still too risky buying an iPhone 7

So my recommendation is buying an iPhone 8 off swappa.com personally (if she really wants to, buy an SE off swappa). And I know a lot of people like the size of the SE, but to be very real, the 8 is not that much bigger, the SE is a dead form factor dead, and almost definitely not coming back (RIP).

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
So it looks like Best Buy's doing $400 off pixel 3/3 XL with payment plan during BF. I currently have a Pixel 2 on payment plan. If I buy out the remaining device payment balance before then, I should be able to qualify for that right? Or can I just do that if I go in to get that deal (not sure how much Best Buy emloyees can do)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I think Best Buy employees are supposed to keep tight lipped about that deal so we haven't quite seen the fine print other than the blurry stuff at the bottom of this article https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/19/best-buy-will-have-the-pixel-3-and-pixel-3-xl-at-400-off-for-2-days-only/ . It's pretty much just "qualified activation" from what we can tell so far, so you should probably be okay with paying off current device in the app or on verizon's website and then doing the deal. This is the cheapest that we've seen the pixel 3's go for so I'm gonna guess that it will be absolutely batshit insane to do this in store. You probably will have a less stressful time just doing this deal online. You can always go in to the store now and ask them how you would do this with the 200 dollar deal they have going and then just wait till thurs/fri. I just bought a pixel 3 from BB online over the weekend because I didn't think it would drop any further :(

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Verizon pixel 3 $400 off is for a payment plan which is fine. Do we know if the $400 off at best buy is the same thing requiring a payment plan? Or is it just straight up up front $400 off?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Zotix posted:

Verizon pixel 3 $400 off is for a payment plan which is fine. Do we know if the $400 off at best buy is the same thing requiring a payment plan? Or is it just straight up up front $400 off?

The current 200 off is an up front 200 off. Can probably assume the upcoming deal would likely be the same.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm planning to upgrade from my OG pixel to the 3, but wanted to confirm that VZW will still let me keep my grandfathered unlimited plan if I jump on a device payment plan. They let me 2 years ago when I got this pixel during their Black Friday sale, so I'm hoping/assuming nothing has changed (but it's still VZW sooooooooooo)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I'm planning to upgrade from my OG pixel to the 3, but wanted to confirm that VZW will still let me keep my grandfathered unlimited plan if I jump on a device payment plan. They let me 2 years ago when I got this pixel during their Black Friday sale, so I'm hoping/assuming nothing has changed (but it's still VZW sooooooooooo)

Weird, I thought you had to pay in full to keep unlimited since they introduced the payment plans.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Weird, I thought you had to pay in full to keep unlimited since they introduced the payment plans.

Now that I'm not upgrading phones every 6ish months, I don't keep up with how many hoops VZW makes you jump through to keep unlimited anymore, so they very well could have changed it. But I know they let me keep it when I signed up for a device payment plan two years ago, so I'm hoping I can just keep that train rolling with a P3 now that I've paid off my current phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

You can keep the same plan. They used to require buying phones outright on that plan, now they don’t.

I’ll post exact promos whenever Verizon officially announces them. The Pixel 3 promo is really good (and pretty much what was posted).

If anyone is ordering online and wants a referral code, feel free to PM me and help keep me employed. I would recommend either order online and have it shipped, or you can do in store pickup and have it reserved for you in store.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I'm being dumb and tired, I'm reading the Verizon BF press release and it mentions the 400 off a Pixel 3 that ends midnight on Friday. Does that mean the deal is only happening on Thanksgiving day or it runs through 11:59PM Friday? I assume it is the latter since BF is on, well, a Friday, but I'd kick myself if I missed out on it...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wasey posted:

I'm being dumb and tired, I'm reading the Verizon BF press release and it mentions the 400 off a Pixel 3 that ends midnight on Friday. Does that mean the deal is only happening on Thanksgiving day or it runs through 11:59PM Friday? I assume it is the latter since BF is on, well, a Friday, but I'd kick myself if I missed out on it...

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/black-friday-verizon-get-400-google-pixel-3-samsung-galaxy-s9-lg-v40-and-more

It goes until Friday evening so you’re good.

If you are ordering online feel free to PM me for a referral code.

In general: main promos for Black Friday:
$400 off top tier android phones (really good promo) and iPhone X (good if you are ok with the X).

$99–199 9.7” iPad. Service required. $150-200 off other iPads.

Not a crazy amount, but I’ll take those promos.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got quite a few requests for referral codes.

A. Thank you.

B. I should have replied to everyone. If I haven’t, send me another PM because I missed it. Anyone else who wants a referral or needs help, PM (or just post).

C. I recommend ordering phones Thursday, try and get ahead of shipping. FYI I think this year you may be able to do it as an in store pickup, so if you want it Friday you can reserve it at the local store near you. As long as you use my referral code I still get credit.

Happy holidays everyone.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
If I purchased my Pixel 2XL through the Verizon kiosk at Target and Google won't do an advance exchange, do I have any recourse through Verizon/Target?

I'd rather not send my phone away for two weeks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrCodeDude posted:

If I purchased my Pixel 2XL through the Verizon kiosk at Target and Google won't do an advance exchange, do I have any recourse through Verizon/Target?

I'd rather not send my phone away for two weeks.

Sorry. I honestly don’t understand what you are asking.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“Will Verizon/Target help me get my phone fixed in a way that doesn’t leave me phoneless for days?”

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry. I honestly don’t understand what you are asking.

The USB-C/headphone jack for my Pixel 2XL stopped working with the adapter. I contacted Google, they sent me a new adapter, still didn't work. They said I'd need to send the phone in for an RMA.

Google will only do an advance exchange/replacement for phones purchased directly through the Google store. I purchased my phone from Target/Verizon, which means I'll need to send my phone away and wait for 7-10 business days until Google sends it back.

I sold my previous phone when I upgraded to the Pixel 2XL, so the only spare phone I might have is in a box somewhere and 4+ years old.

I'm wondering since the phone is under one-year old and suffered from (what I presume is) a hardware failure, if I have any recourse of going either through Target or Verizon to replace it.

(The only thing I've read online is to purchase a new phone from Google, RMA my existing one, then return the new phone when the RMA is completed).

edit: much better summarized by the post above ^^

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

If you are doing the $400 off deal for black friday use WAIVE30 promo code for upgrades. Didn't do this and got charged an activation fee on an upgraded line :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrCodeDude posted:

The USB-C/headphone jack for my Pixel 2XL stopped working with the adapter. I contacted Google, they sent me a new adapter, still didn't work. They said I'd need to send the phone in for an RMA.

Google will only do an advance exchange/replacement for phones purchased directly through the Google store. I purchased my phone from Target/Verizon, which means I'll need to send my phone away and wait for 7-10 business days until Google sends it back.

I sold my previous phone when I upgraded to the Pixel 2XL, so the only spare phone I might have is in a box somewhere and 4+ years old.

I'm wondering since the phone is under one-year old and suffered from (what I presume is) a hardware failure, if I have any recourse of going either through Target or Verizon to replace it.

(The only thing I've read online is to purchase a new phone from Google, RMA my existing one, then return the new phone when the RMA is completed).

edit: much better summarized by the post above ^^

Go to a Verizon Corp store, within one year Verizon can order a warranty phone. They ship it to you first, then you ship the defective phone back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for those who submitted referral codes. For me, I Survived My 12th Black Friday. Not the absolute best one (I’ll never top that), but definitely a surprisingly good and busy Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I worked on the infrastructure side of retail for one Black Friday.

I was oncall.

Our credit-card processing system went down at 1:30pm and I had to fix it.

Now I stay as far away from retail as I possibly can.

Glad you made it out alive.