Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fantastic Beasts' Producer posted:

We actually had a scene, which we cut, which was Credence going to a boat, to get on a boat somewhere else. But we cut that, because we didn't want to have it be such an, 'Ahhh, here we go.'

So, what was that scene kind of like?

Him getting on a boat, maybe a boat with Newt, maybe not, and heading off out of New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, welp...kind of takes all the emotion out of that scene in the first movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fantastic Beasts: Fantastic Beasts, Too?

"oh no Fantastic Beasts, it looks like Perducci has stolen the niffler." "LOOKS LIKE WE GONNA HAVE TO JUMP".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtFinPR3Vno

bahahha, oh gently caress off WB. they should have put it in the second one.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 24, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"oh no Fantastic Beasts, it looks like Perducci has stolen the niffler." "LOOKS LIKE WE GONNA HAVE TO JUMP".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtFinPR3Vno

bahahha, oh gently caress off WB. they should have put it in the second one.

I'm seeing double! Two Fantastic Beasts... and two Fantastic Beasts, Toos!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm seeing double! Two Fantastic Beasts... and two Fantastic Beasts, Toos!

"what do you know about grindlewald?"
"Only that I am not one of his minions."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That guy knows suspiciously little about Grindlewald...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Those magics were so... done by me!...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fantastic Threests

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DoctorWhat posted:

That guy knows suspiciously little about Grindlewald...

Lets get one thing strait meatball... face... butt! I work alone! Except when I work with Dumbledore, which is all the time!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've got to get my hands on some of those Grindelcakes!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dan, when you're done with your 50 Shades Darker video, I think you might have the perfect follow up material ready and waiting for you. Someone went and fished out a piece of fan fiction of even more dubious origin and nature than 50 Shades of Grey / Master of the Universe, and also decided to make a major motion picture out of it.

quote:

... After began life as fanfiction on Wattpad by an author named Anna Todd; Goodreads’ summary of the book proudly boasts, “Now newly revised and expanded, Anna Todd’s After fanfiction racked up 1 billion reads online and captivated readers across the globe. Experience the Internet’s most talked-about book for yourself!”

The book reads like every other cliché love story, with shades of Twilight and, well, Fifty Shades. College student Tessa, with a steady boyfriend and big plans, meets the dangerous Hardin (originally Harry [Styles, of One Direction]) and immediately falls head over heels for him. The summary details the way he emotionally abuses her throughout the book, but highlights how Tessa can’t help but feel drawn to him anyway, because nothing says romance like toxic men being toxic.

The film is a nasty mess of problematic tropes that can veer into harmful territory for the reputation of the real-life celebrity involved in this work; Styles is rumored to have blocked Todd on Twitter.

Again, someone thought it was a good idea to file the serial numbers off a piece of fan fiction written about a real and very famous musician that depicts them as a Christian Grey-style abusive psychopath and produced by a possible stalker of said very real and famous musician and make big budget teen romance film out of it.

Sweet Jesus.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 24, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Are we really at the point where there are loving rumors about someone blocking someone else on twitter?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

none of the harry potter movies are good

Dabir posted:

addendum: none of the harry potter books, also, are good

True, but from my experience teachers were just happy to have kids reading something to begin with. And it wasn't the Anarchist's Cookbook or anything so there was no reason to really stop anyone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Dan, when you're done with your 50 Shades Darker video, I think you might have the perfect follow up material ready and waiting for you. Someone went and fished out a piece of fan fiction of even more dubious origin and nature than 50 Shades of Grey / Master of the Universe, and also decided to make a major motion picture out of it.

Again, someone thought it was a good idea to file the serial numbers off a piece of fan fiction written about a real and very famous musician that depicts them as a Christian Grey-style abusive psychopath and produced by a possible stalker of said very real and famous musician and make big budget teen romance film out of it.

Sweet Jesus.

Oh my god...it’s one of those fan-fiction stories Jenny Nicholson found about being sold into sexual slavery to One Direction.

I wonder if they’ll be able to get Josh Hutcherson for the adaptation of Trapped In A Island.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1065348374365331456

quote:

Getting back to the original plan -- yes, such modifications capitulated to the censorship of the Chinese government, as so many players nobly observed in their reviews. But honestly, how harmful is the removal of any of these trivial visual elements in a title where you still run around shooting people in the face? Was a neon stripper central to the vital message the developers were trying to send through the medium of online deathmatches?

Several users 'hilariously' posted "[This review has been censored by the People's Republic of China]" while others made reference to Ubisoft's newfound communist ethos - but I'm fairly sure that modifying a game purely to access the lucrative Chinese audience is pretty capitalist as a business practice.

[...]

Obviously, I'm not suggesting Ubisoft has altered its course on engaging with Chinese audiences. But if it does indeed have to create a China-only version that meets the government's censorship requirements, that's an additional workload that could have been avoided if a few people accepted that a digital mural looks a little bit different. Or if Ubisoft has built the game with Chinese censors in mind from the beginning - something publishers will no doubt be doing in future. In fact, making games as inoffensive as possible -- thus making it acceptable to all markets -- avoids this issue because, as we have seen, 'fans' will rebel over the most insignificant tweaks.

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1066128683654504448

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Comparing it to people not liking a pokemon game's mechanics is when it truly veers into galaxy brain territory.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought this was in an office at first and I was sad they didn't just replace it with Majima.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That snippet is such carefully worded, rear end kissy apologism toward chinese censorship that I wouldn't be shocked if someone had slipped them some yuan under the table.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

poo poo like that is why you'd probably never an explicitly queer superhero in a major comicbook film or in any blockbuster for that matter. That completely shuts out the Chinese market. But bending over backwards for ultra conservatives is what corps do, so I guess it's nothing new.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Being anti-Queer is counter-revolutionary, proving China is not Communist. :colbert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

God drat, you would think journalists would be happy that Ubisoft told the big bad PRC to screw(more likely they talked it out with tencent or other companies) but nope. Gotta defend censorship because they like it when it suits them now. loving sell outs.

Andrast posted:

Are we really at the point where there are loving rumors about someone blocking someone else on twitter?

Yeah, probably, Christ, we are hosed as a society.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

gamesindustry.biz posted:

I understand that, for some, the bare wall where a slot machine once stood might be a permanent visual reminder that this game was not solely developed for them, that they are not the center of Ubisoft's universe, that this is a world with other people who would also appreciate things that cater to them - but these lessons are hard learned, and where better to learn them than from the comfort of your favourite video game?

It’s not Chinese players who want the slot machines removed, you stupid gently caress; it’s the Chinese government. The same government that’s currently putting Muslims in gulags and doing everything it can to silence dissenting speech online. These are not the sort of people you want to be sucking up to.

Everything about that article sickens me. I’d highlight all the stuff I object to but I’d just be quoting the whole thing, so instead I’ll just say that this is a guy who clearly has no appreciation for video games as anything other than a soulless corporate product. It's true that shooters like Rainbow Six aren't exactly what anyone would call high art, but they're still the result of someone's creative vision and that deserves to be protected, especially from government bureaucrats. Plus, capitulating to censors only emboldens them; minor changes now will likely lead to bigger changes being demanded of future games.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 24, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

To be fair, people have complained enough and now they aren't doing that anymore.

Also the big problem for me is not changing the game so that they can sell to china, but Ubisofts basic admission that "we only want to have to run and maintain one version of the game, so tough poo poo everybody play nice with China"

Not shown, the censorship of skulls which is kinda meh on its own. But

1. They just released a headpiece that turns a character's head into a skull

2. One whole characters thing is that her name translates to Skull and her visual design is her having skullish facepaint. The operation that revealed her? Skull Rain :yohoho:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bakeneko posted:

It’s not Chinese players who want the slot machines removed, you stupid gently caress; it’s the Chinese government. The same government that’s currently putting Muslims in gulags and doing everything it can to silence dissenting speech online. These are not the sort of people you want to be sucking up to.

Everything about that article sickens me. I’d highlight all the stuff I object to but I’d just be quoting the whole thing, so instead I’ll just say that this is a guy who clearly has no appreciation for video games as anything other than a soulless corporate product. It's true that shooters like Rainbow Six aren't exactly what anyone would call high art, but they're still the result of someone's creative vision and that deserves to be protected, especially from government bureaucrats. Plus, capitulating to censors only emboldens them; minor changes now will likely lead to bigger changes being demanded of future games.

Do the same chuds who endlessly defend capitalism as the perfect moral mechanism for giving the people what they want (video game boobs and no star wars ladies) ever complain about how China is controlling their video game freedom?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do the same chuds who endlessly defend capitalism as the perfect moral mechanism for giving the people what they want (video game boobs and no star wars ladies) ever complain about how China is controlling their video game freedom?

No they just blame the SJWs

Blame everything on SJWs

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Not really, criticisng the PRC can expose how business decisions are dominated by potential market shares and thus lead to capitalism is bad for art.

This leaves them with either naked racism about the Chinese (which to be fair I have seen a few indulge in generally) or criticism of strong authoritarian governments taking steps to "protect" the culture, which a lot of them are in favour of.

Plus the most well known effects of PRC mandates has been to promote nationalism and cut back on representation for "non traditional behaviours" which many of them love.

The Russian Federation does much the same and many alt right types openly gush about Putin.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 24, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

No they just blame the SJWs

Blame everything on SJWs

It's easier than actually taking looks at ethics in... well, anything really.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

On the other hand, people who love capitalism also tend to criticize China a lot on the basis that it’s (nominally at least) a communist state. That automatically makes it the enemy. Russia gets a pass because it rejected communism, even though the underlying problem of authoritarianism is still in place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

have fun trying to explain to chuds that china is in fact capitalist lmfao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah but isn't capitalism showing that women/minorities as central roles in movies/games/etc help expand markets and poo poo and diversity sells plus its an easy moral victory and good PR for entertainment companies. so its pissing on the chuds entire system of belief.

Bakeneko posted:

i love how they try to spin it as a race thing and its evil gamer entitlement thats ruining it for all of china. like i think the "gamer entitlement" line needs to loving die soon because it doesn't work and just makes them sound like a weird snobs.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Sweet Jesus.

Already on my radar.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

poo poo like that is why you'd probably never an explicitly queer superhero in a major comicbook film or in any blockbuster for that matter. That completely shuts out the Chinese market. But bending over backwards for ultra conservatives is what corps do, so I guess it's nothing new.

https://twitter.com/aruel45acp/status/1066399257920364544

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

Already on my radar.

:munch:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i love how they try to spin it as a race thing and its evil gamer entitlement thats ruining it for all of china. like i think the "gamer entitlement" line needs to loving die soon because it doesn't work and just makes them sound like a weird snobs.

Like I know gamergate is still a thing, but you'd think after Battlefront 2 the message would've gotten through that sometimes gamers being mad about something actually has merit because companies are garbo. And even if they want to turn it back to the ArenaNet thing or maybe Riot...the answer is still ultimately "these companies are trash garbage" and not "the evil gamerzz got these people fired!!".

But who knows what gamers are truly capable of now. They snarked at Blizzard that one time, after all. :monocle:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 24, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Like I know gamergate is still a thing, but you'd think after Battlefront 2 the message would've gotten through that sometimes gamers being mad about something actually has merit because companies are garbo. And even if they want to turn it back to the ArenaNet thing or maybe Riot...the answer is still ultimately "these companies are trash garbage" and not "the evil gamerzz got these people fired!!".

But who knows what gamers are truly capable of now. They snarked at Blizzard that one time, after all. :monocle:

because alot of the journos come from the american liberal stock of "well look how socially progressive/woke they(companies/developer/writer/etc) are, they must be good and noble and any bad they do is lies from evil gamers" they also make their money from companies and twitter drama and bullshit and views and clicks. they have the ability to piss away consumers but not the hand that feeds them. i mean we were seeing that kinda poo poo before gamergate reared its ugly head. the whole mass effect 3 deal and i am pretty sure there were others. plus its an easy narrative.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 25, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because alot of the journos come from the liberal stock of "well look how socially progressive/woke they(companies/developer/writer/etc) are, they must be good and noble and any bad they do is lies from evil gamer they also make their money from companies and twitter drama and bullshit and views and clicks. they have the ability to piss away consumers but not the hand that feeds them. i mean we were seeing that kinda poo poo before gamergate reared its ugly head. the whole mass effect 3 deal and i am pretty sure there were others.

what

no dude it's because it's still hobby media and these people value access more than anything else because access is what gets clicks in this capitalist hellscape no matter what kind of journalism it is. You don't need to make it into some big 'the sjws just wanna pat eachother on the back' conspiracy when it's the same bullshit that infects the media as a whole.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He’s not wrong that companies have figured out looking kind of woke is a good business choice. They don’t actually have to be but if they pretend to they will get more wispy washy liberals on their side

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

what

no dude it's because it's still hobby media and these people value access more than anything else because access is what gets clicks in this capitalist hellscape no matter what kind of journalism it is. You don't need to make it into some big 'the sjws just wanna pat eachother on the back' conspiracy when it's the same bullshit that infects the media as a whole.

that wasn't what i was trying to say. sorry. my point is we live in a capitalist hellworld where corporate defenders co-opt progressive language to defend their stupid bullshit and some media journalists will eat that poo poo up because it looks good and then don't have to bite the hand that feeds them. like look the article defending attempted PRC censorship. they are trying to spin it as gamers being problematic and wrong for complaining and they just don't understand what chinese people want.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He’s not wrong that companies have figured out looking kind of woke is a good business choice. They don’t actually have to be but if they pretend to they will get more wispy washy liberals on their side

this. progressive messages/representation in media is great and should be applauded. but to an extent, publishers/devs are only doing it because it sells and because it keeps people from wanting to dig deeply into there lovely stuff they do. some are better at doing it then others. like Ubisoft and somewhat EA do pretty good jobs and put effort into it. that also goes into AAA gaming with AAA publishers too. sites get tons of views and stuff from talking about those games and most of the time, they will get good/positive leaning scores from the big sites, even if they have major flaws, because of the whole too big to fail type deals. some times the greed or the lazyness gets to obvious and you do get people pointing out lovely practices like with battlefront 2 and fallout 76.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

It's good when corporations respond to consumer demand for them to take principled stands, just as its good when politicians respond to their electorates demands for them. It sucks when they use good in one area as a cloak to disguise other abuses and evils, but unless people start getting their torches and pitchforks all we can do is be vigilant and keep mounting the pressure with both our wallets and our votes. Nike are child-labor exploiting scumbags but the fact that they gave Colin Kaepernick a chance and got rewarded for it by their customers is at least a somewhat positive sign in society. Same with how all the dirtbag companies involved in college basketball held the Final Four to ransom over transgender bathroom bills. Yeah, they're co-opting progressive rhetoric for their own benefit and even using it as leverage to hold back substantive progressive change that will hurt them, but every revolution in history has used and in turn been used by Bad People. It's the nature of the beast when you're trying to fight the machine.