Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dreamworks have rebooted beloved 80's Filmation series She-Ra, and now it's on Netflix! Basically stripping away 99% of the He-Man backstory and associations, they've made this new show its own thing, allowing it to stand on its own two feet and tell new stories.

So let's start at the beginning, we first meet Adora as a cadet, training to be part of the Horde with her bff Catra, fighting against the Rebellion on the planet of Etheria. But then destiny finds Adora, along with a magical sword that transforms her into She-Ra, Princess of Power! It turns out that Adora has been lied to about the Horde's true nature, and so she joins the Rebellion, working to find out who she is, and who she was. Helping her along with this are her new friends Glimmer and Bow.

The show excels at giving us good, likable characters on both sides, being really funny, some great world-building, and carrying a message of inclusivity throughout (FYI, it's super gay).

Season 1 is now viewable on Netflix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I can confirm it's gayness. After watching it, it turned me gay.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Not to jump immediately into post-season finale spoiler speculation (but what the hell): Anyone get the vibe that Shadow Weaver is Mera/the previous She-Ra?

A solid show overall, despite some flaws. It needs more budget. Hoepfully they will take the foundation that this season built and go on to even bigger and better things in season 2. Bow is the MVP of the season and gets a lot of great material.

The people working on this clearly have extensive knowledge and love of Masters of the Universe/She-Ra, too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think if Shadowweaver was Mera, then she wouldn't have had a third alias as Lightspinner in the wizards episode. I did think Shadowweaver might be Adora's actual mom; I thought the mom would have been Mera but if she was from a thousand years ago that's probably not the case.

I thought the show had a strong start and a good lead-up into the end. The middle was a bit too Saturday morning-y with several episodes where they met a bunch of caricatures then had one-off adventures with them. The season finale was ok but I felt it came too easily; having the princesses save the day at the last second was pretty much the expected outcome, which would have been fine if they'd had an actual arc between "gently caress this poo poo" and "here we come to save the day", but they didn't, so I was left unsatisfied

I'll be looking forward to season 2 now that they've hopefully found their footing.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
There is no picture of the best character, Scorpia in the thread start. I demand that this be fixed!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

kefkafloyd posted:

Not to jump immediately into post-season finale spoiler speculation (but what the hell): Anyone get the vibe that Shadow Weaver is Mera/the previous She-Ra?

Nah, Mera is more likely the crazy (like a fox) old lady Adora met. We got Shadowweaver's backstory from the magic city episode.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I have not seen this show personally, but my sister and my 6 year old niece binged the whole thing and loved it. I'm all for shows with more girl/women leads! I hope they make more seasons so that all these man babies can cry more and my niece can have more female heroes to watch/look up too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Nah, Mera is more likely the crazy (like a fox) old lady Adora met. We got Shadowweaver's backstory from the magic city episode.

Lady Razz says that Mera has some relation to her (her daughter?), IIRC, but I'd have to go back and watch it again.

PicklePants posted:

There is no picture of the best character, Scorpia in the thread start. I demand that this be fixed!

Stolen from the Steven thread.

She is pretty great!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The first season was great. And we are confirmed a minimum of 52 episodes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

kefkafloyd posted:

Lady Razz says that Mera has some relation to her (her daughter?), IIRC, but I'd have to go back and watch it again.

Stolen from the Steven thread.

She is pretty great!

I feel that the most important question about the show is who is the best princess and why is it Scorpia?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

I thought the show had a strong start and a good lead-up into the end. The middle was a bit too Saturday morning-y with several episodes where they met a bunch of caricatures then had one-off adventures with them.

I liked the show overall, but the middle arc felt a little weak. I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2 now that they've got things established a bit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm astonished to find out the showrunner is only 26, jeez

Millennials should make more shows

(I'm a millennial)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I feel that the most important question about the show is who is the best princess and why is it Scorpia?

Fool. The best princess is obviously Catra. Maybe.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 22, 2018

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nephthys posted:

Fool. The best princess is obviously Catra.

I think you misspelled Entrapta.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In many species of Lizard the females are bigger than the males, since that Lizard person in in Catra's squad is the bigger than the other ones in the horde, it's probably female. Also Hordak's imp is cosplaying as Bakugo.

https://best-boy-bow.tumblr.com/post/180146926153

Nephthys posted:

Fool. The best princess is obviously Catra. Maybe.

http://unoobang.tumblr.com/tagged/she-ra

Nemo2342 posted:

I think you misspelled Entrapta.

Etheria is a land of contrasts, in conclusion,

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Can I request a GIF of Adora seeing a horse for the very first time? If there's a scene that would make kids relate to the show so much, that would be it.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Please, everyone is the best princess in this show. They're all real, and strong, and my friend. :3:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

amigolupus posted:

Please, everyone is the best princess in this show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You spelled Mermista wrong. Not that I care or anything. Obviously. :colbert:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there any character that isn't great in this?

Gaz-L posted:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

Mermista's "I'm too tired for this poo poo" could easily cross the line into being obnoxious, yet somehow manages to stay endearing throughout.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also appreciate Adora's VA trying her best Melendy Britt (basically half of the original show's cast) impression during the "how do i shot web" montage.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 23, 2018

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Catra is great. I still can't tell if she's irredeemable, but she sure as gently caress wants to be.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ragnar34 posted:

Catra is great. I still can't tell if she's irredeemable, but she sure as gently caress wants to be.

Maybe eventually. The show made a point to mention that She-Ra is supposed to lead all the princesses to return balance to the world, and if Catra is secretly a princess too (likely enough given her mysterious origin) then the three currently evil princesses will have to face-turn at some point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am pretty sure Aetheria everyone is just Pansexual.

Seahawk was based on Corsair from X-men right?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Maybe eventually. The show made a point to mention that She-Ra is supposed to lead all the princesses to return balance to the world, and if Catra is secretly a princess too (likely enough given her mysterious origin) then the three currently evil princesses will have to face-turn at some point.

I thought the only princesses that mattered were the elemental ones, since it's their runestones that keep things in check.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought the only princesses that mattered were the scorpion ones

Oh hey, good point.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm concerned that someone in the show's production team is sending subtle coded messages to corrupt the youth of today.

https://daedricmistake.tumblr.com/post/180354337205

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hahah I love how Swiftwing comes back and is just FULL GAY SPACE COMMUNISM NOW!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

twistedmentat posted:

Hahah I love how Swiftwing comes back and is just FULL GAY SPACE COMMUNISM NOW!

Radical Horse Abolitionist, Swift Wind

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

She's redeemable in my book. She hasn't done anything worse than, say, Zuko yet. And certainly has as much potential to change as he did.

But yeah, she doesn't want to be redeemed. She isn't going to play number 2 to Adora anymore. My ideal ending at the moment is that she backstabs Hordak and negotiates a peace as the new leader of the Horde.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nemo2342 posted:

Mermista's "I'm too tired for this poo poo" could easily cross the line into being obnoxious, yet somehow manages to stay endearing throughout.

They didn't have to explicitly say it but between the state of her kingdom and her VA putting juuuust enough 'there's actual emotion hidden here' stank on some lines it was pretty clear her deal is more 'I'm just kinda used to seeing things turn to garbage around me so if I act aloof it's less lovely when it happens' than the typical anime bullshit of 'rando character acts above everything for no actual good reason'.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I legit did a double take when they first introduced Seahawk, because...*waves hands at him*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm concerned that someone in the show's production team is sending subtle coded messages to corrupt the youth of today.

https://daedricmistake.tumblr.com/post/180354337205

:thunkher:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SardonicTyrant posted:

I legit did a double take when they first introduced Seahawk, because...*waves hands at him*

Something I like about Seahawk is that characters like him are usually revealed to be incompetent idiots who faked all their achievements. But Seahawk really does seem to be quite competent as a dashing rogue. It's just that every princess is way more competent and completely outclasses him. I think it's a more nuanced take on his character type. :3:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

No no, I meant that he was very obviously a gay pirate.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SardonicTyrant posted:

While I feel it would be very progressive for them to include a non-heterosexual character in this show, having them be the only one would be a touch odd, perhaps this can be rectified in season 2.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I was a heterosexual man but after watching this show I am now extremely gay. AMA

Also the show is good and I wanna know if Entrapta stays with the Horde.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think you'll find that Seahawk is very much a bisexual pirate.

A birate, if you will. :colbert:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

While I feel it would be very progressive for them to include a non-heterosexual character in this show, having them be the only one would be a touch odd, perhaps this can be rectified in season 2.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part of all this is that they don’t even bother to hide Adora’s powers and she uses them just whenever.

Like the common introduction is “This is Adora, she turns into She-Ra sometimes who is a terrifying giantess” and the people they meet just roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This ain't a comic, it's a cartoon, it's animated!

See?