Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my gut says the biggest reason Siri sucks is due to being managed by sleepy moron eddy cue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

could it be related to computers not being people and not actually doing language just mangling some numbers until the devs run out of time

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

google assistant actually works very well. my mom has a google home and while its not a very good speaker, google assistant is way better at understanding what you're asking.

im gonna go with this one

brap posted:

my gut says the biggest reason Siri sucks is due to being managed by sleepy moron eddy cue

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

alexa sucks too but you have to buy a thing for it so you sunk cost fallacy yourself into liking it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

siri is bad because siri was a potentially super useful product that has no upsell or enforced upgrade cycle, so apple puts no money into it
siri is not a hardware product or closely tied to a hardware line or a profitable thing in itself (like the itunes and app stores) so its the ignored stepchild that is starved of resources (the guy who was nominally in charge of it would literally close his eyes and pretend to snore whenever someone brought it up) while all the money and talented and ambitious people steer well clear of it

supposedly, the faceplant of the homepod (even apple superfan sites were "nice design, great sound, too bad the voice command ui is such complete and total poo poo") got timbs attention and theres now a head of siri/apple ai that reports directly to him now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah no, i find google assistant is eerily good except when it's not and if there's something broken it will never, ever, ever get fixed. particularly if it's just a user-facing quality-of-experience thing because google doesn't give any shits about that.

like if you use it for dictation it's fantastic except that it randomly capitalizes words in the middle of a sentence. literally random and mostly irreproducible -- just the google neural net loving up. they could fix it with a toggle "do not capitalize words except at the beginning of a sentence" but no, you will never get that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

they could fix it with a toggle "do not capitalize words except at the beginning of a sentence"

no, i think what you would get is periods randomly inserted into your text

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

brap posted:

its this, cue cant meet a celeb by working on siri so he doesnt

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

FMguru posted:

siri is not a hardware product or closely tied to a hardware line or a profitable thing in itself (like the itunes and app stores) so its the ignored stepchild that is starved of resources (the guy who was nominally in charge of it would literally close his eyes and pretend to snore whenever someone brought it up) while all the money and talented and ambitious people steer well clear of it
siri is good and if you're seriously arguing that iTunes is a better product because it has more resources and talent behind it then loooooooooool

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

yeah I joined out of my phd to help apple out for a bit w/ natural language stuff but my real dream is to transfer over to eddie's crew at iTunes where my career will really flourish

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GenJoe posted:

siri is good and if you're seriously arguing that iTunes is a better product because it has more resources and talent behind it then loooooooooool
note the plural on the word "stores"

itunes store works well

itunes does not

and siri is terrible

e: also if youve got a new phd in ai/ml you will be headhunted by much much better places than apple

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

the last time I tried to use the iTunes store it ended up not being able to handle the incredibly complicated yet-to-be solved use case of "watch this rented movie on another device"

there were UI elements on the second device indicating that you could watch the rented movie but it turned out those were from a failed roll-out from a previous release that they never bothered to clean up lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I picked up a Google home hub yesterday and it's really cool. now I'm dumping my apple music subscription for YouTube music. good job timb.

one thing Google has hosed up is Nest. even their own assistant is limited in the actions it can take. I need to use a IFTTT to let me turn my Nest camera on or off. and so far I haven't found a way to get it to change my home/away status without the native app.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 24, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

as far as im concerned itunes still has the best ui for managing a local library. yes its clunky and bloated and the ui is actually not very good, but what are u going to use to manage 25,000+ songs, foobar? vlc?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

as far as im concerned itunes still has the best ui for managing a local library. yes its clunky and bloated and the ui is actually not very good, but what are u going to use to manage 25,000+ songs, foobar? vlc?

im teh >25,000 locally-stores songs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

if someone finds the answer to this, please let me know

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

something that doesnt start deleting songs at random because of syncing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

all in alac too lmao

exploded mummy posted:

something that doesnt start deleting songs at random because of syncing
i use itunes match and thankfully never had this problem.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

this is true. but I switched to iina and folders. but during the brief period of time of searching for another iTunes for Mac they were all worse.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hoarding disorders come in a variety of forms

please consider if you really, genuinely need 25000+ songs at your disposal at any given time and how you would feel if you had to get rid of, say, 10000 of them

if the thought of doing so causes you distress, you should seek counseling

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i stuck my 7000 songs into a onedrive folder and they become accessible through the onedrive website and also you can stream the music with a $5 app and do all the management that you used to and there's no ads or live match or forced sorting or other garbage like that.

i listen to maybe 100 of them with any regularity

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nude posted:

I switched to iina and folders.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

supposedly, the faceplant of the homepod (even apple superfan sites were "nice design, great sound, too bad the voice command ui is such complete and total poo poo") got timbs attention and theres now a head of siri/apple ai that reports directly to him now

do these guys not eat their own dogfood?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

some teams bug trackers are like shouting into a cry pillow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
cathartic?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

apple employees have the same problem that apple fanboys suffer from; they are so invested in the idea that apple is always right that they rationalize competitor's advantages as secret flaws and their own shortcomings as good taste

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if i get the new macbook air do i get the double ram

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Mediamonkey is good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

actually, it's bad.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
oh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

itunes plays my songs fine and i add new ones to it . have done so for over a dozen years, works for me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

iTunes works fine if you stick to using the parts of the program they give a poo poo about, as soon as you step outside that area its awful

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

Mediamonkey is good

it is

the new beta is extremely a beta tho

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

I didn't say it was a good solution lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

barkbell posted:

thats really a matter of personal preference and only you can decide if you want single rammed or double rammed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

really it's more like triple rammed when you look at the price

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

barkbell posted:

i am looking at it too. just get the double ram if you’re getting 256+ GB storage

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

IUG posted:

if someone finds the answer to this, please let me know

rekordbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

my iphone refuses to accept that "sent" is a real word. it keeps correcting it to "went"