Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Tercio posted:

So I'm starting a second playthrough. What missions do I need to not gently caress up to make sure the John/Abigail/Jack/Sadie going awol bug doesn't occur?

make sure you talk to and interact with those 4 characters before you do any missions

e: like not before each mission, just at the beginning of ch. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

ShakeZula posted:

This, but a skunk.
The far-west, around the area where the Trapper's stall is (just west of the Legendary Buck) at night. I spent an in-game week there trying to get a perfect cougar to spawn for the Legend satchel, and got like 5 perfect skunks before one finally deigned to appear. Plus, the Trapper's right there to sell to.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Four-Eyes posted:

So hey, for those who want the collectibles on one place:

https://www.gamepur.com/guide/36729-red-dead-redemption-2-interactive-map.html

I wouldn't suggest using this unless you're at the completionist stage, but it's a wonderful tool for my second "stay in chapter 2 and let the game breathe" playthrough. I'm wandering about clearing section by section, and it's turned into a great zen simulator.

Thanks so much for linking this!

I really started to realize how vast and interesting the world is after chapter 3 started, and I’ve been doing more or less the same thing ever since. This is my first play through, so I’ll probably get back to the storyline at some point, but for now the process of exploring seems much more interesting than whatever bullshit scheme Dutch wants to pursue. And this map is way better than the other one I’ve been using (at IGN).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Apraxin posted:

The far-west, around the area where the Trapper's stall is (just west of the Legendary Buck) at night. I spent an in-game week there trying to get a perfect cougar to spawn for the Legend satchel, and got like 5 perfect skunks before one finally deigned to appear. Plus, the Trapper's right there to sell to.

Thanks, I'll check that out. But this skunk ain't for the trapper, this skunk is going in the mail

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
no spoilers

I'm at a sweet spot in ch. 3 where I only have one mission available for Micah, so he just sits in one spot quietly waiting for me.

keep waiting, little buddy! I'm just going on a 3 month canoe trip peeeeeace

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope the last thing you can do after you've hunted down every animal and purchased every outfit from the Trapper is shoot him and skin him.

I'd wear his rain coat and make his head a hat and wear it from here to the border, the northern border that is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AndyElusive posted:

I hope the last thing you can do after you've hunted down every animal and purchased every outfit from the Trapper is shoot him and skin him.

I'd wear his rain coat and make his head a hat and wear it from here to the border, the northern border that is.

:stare:

Ha ha, yes, that's uh, a funny joke.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Hugh Malone posted:

make sure you talk to and interact with those 4 characters before you do any missions

e: like not before each mission, just at the beginning of ch. 2

just so i'm clear, talking to/interacting with are functionally the same thing - yeah?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Poisoned arrows will instakill grizzly bears. I'm thankful for this because grizzlies are legit terrifying and powerful, but I bet this is a bug that gets patched out.

I was near the witches hut in the Grizzlies area, and came across a wandering grizzly, while I was on my horse, and it charged me. I popped off a poisoned arros and hit it in the chest, killing it instantly.

Meanwhile, I can shoot a deer with one and it will run off for another 60 yards before dropping, and I have to stab it to death.

Perfect grizzly pelts for days.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

uncle w benefits posted:

bug that gets patched out

Rockstar dev: This doesn't look like anything to me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why would R* patch it out?

Maybe all Whitetail Deer eat Oleander Sage for breakfast lunch and dinner.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

AndyElusive posted:

Why would R* patch it out?

Maybe all Whitetail Deer eat Oleander Sage for breakfast lunch and dinner.

It just doesn't seem like it's working as intended is all. A 900 pound bear being one shotted while a 150 pound bighorn sheep can get hit then take off for 100yds before falling over dying.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

uncle w benefits posted:

Poisoned arrows will instakill grizzly bears. I'm thankful for this because grizzlies are legit terrifying and powerful, but I bet this is a bug that gets patched out.

I was near the witches hut in the Grizzlies area, and came across a wandering grizzly, while I was on my horse, and it charged me. I popped off a poisoned arros and hit it in the chest, killing it instantly.

Meanwhile, I can shoot a deer with one and it will run off for another 60 yards before dropping, and I have to stab it to death.

Perfect grizzly pelts for days.

I don't think this is a bug. There's a tooltip that specifically calls out that you're essentially supposed to use poison poo poo to bring down big angry bears.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

DrNutt posted:

I don't think this is a bug. There's a tooltip that specifically calls out that you're essentially supposed to use poison poo poo to bring down big angry bears.

Fair enough, but I would think the same mechanic would work on them. Hit any other animal with a poison arrow and it takes the poison a few moments to kick in. You then have to chase down the animal and mercy kill it. Grizzlies get with with one anywhere on their body and drop dead instantly.

On my second play through, I'm really sick of hearing Dutch tell me "I JUST NEED MORE MONEY." Someone start him a GoFundMe.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

uncle w benefits posted:

Someone start him a GoFundMe.

They did, it's called Arthur Morgan.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

They did, it's called Arthur Morgan.

Complete with incurable fatal illness for extra sympathy garnering! :smith:

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

Thanks so much for linking this!

I really started to realize how vast and interesting the world is after chapter 3 started, and I’ve been doing more or less the same thing ever since. This is my first play through, so I’ll probably get back to the storyline at some point, but for now the process of exploring seems much more interesting than whatever bullshit scheme Dutch wants to pursue. And this map is way better than the other one I’ve been using (at IGN).

The smart phone map, MAPGENIE RDR2, doesn't drain your battery like the official app does either. :haw:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So beat the game. I really did miss John. I liked his story better than Arthur's, but now that I'm playing as him again I kinda miss Arthur's drawl. I do have a question though. I never really bothered to spend much time in camp and just sort of talked to people when I wound up there dropping food off or changing clothes. Is there a lot of backstory and characterization that I missed out on or is it all just random hunting/robberies/fetch quests with a "Thanks Arthur!" at the end?

I saw two big parties and a few cowboy sing-a-longs. Did I miss a bunch more of those or anything?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 24, 2018

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
There's a LOT of character interactions - Javier plays a lot of guitar, the women get catty behind each other's backs, Dutch's facade cracks early, etc.

Ive never had a repeat interaction at camp, and return there very often.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Four-Eyes posted:

This is true for the other characters interacting with each other but unfortunately it's annoying to wander into camp and for the billionth time have Sadie tell me it's "like a nightmare." Like I get I need to progress the game to get more but it's weird they didn't even have a few permutations of this conversation for people that were taking the game slow and sticking around in one chapter for awhile. It's also annoying that there are apparently invisible triggers/RNG that determine when characters will ask you for items because I am spending a lot of time in camp and have so far only been asked for things by Jack, Pearson, and Hosea. And the Hosea thing is weird because I never actually got the conversation, it just showed up in my left d-pad menu one day.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Tercio posted:

just so i'm clear, talking to/interacting with are functionally the same thing - yeah?

well, Arthur might say stuff to camp mates outside of an active interaction, so I suggest hitting greet (or :evilbuddy:) once or twice

everything I saw about that particular glitch said to make sure and talk to them when you start ch. 2

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hugh Malone posted:

no spoilers

I'm at a sweet spot in ch. 3 where I only have one mission available for Micah, so he just sits in one spot quietly waiting for me.

keep waiting, little buddy! I'm just going on a 3 month canoe trip peeeeeace

I did this mission earlier today and you're not wrong to put it off a bit.

I really wish you could name your custom outfits and carry more than five of them. I have one similar to Angel Eyes' that I wear for banditry. Two mountain man getups - one for mountains/forests and another for the snowy areas. And two workingman getups for the southern areas.

Also, for some reason, my mustache is length 10 but my chops and chin are length 7.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

GeorgieMordor posted:

So is it worth it to buy the Arabian in Saint Denis, or will I have the opportunity to get a better horse otherwise?

Arabians have the best overall stats (best acceleration, speed second only to superior thoroughbreds and Nokotas, best stamina and health for non work/war horses). You can catch one in the wild way up north if you want a white one, and another one becomes available in the epilogue. Nokota's are tied for acceleration, and a superior coat Nokota gets the 1 higher speed like a Thoroughbred, but also like a thoroughbred they have poo poo for stamina (1/2 of the Arabians, according to the Wiki). Arabians are basically the best race/elite horse if you're looking to go fast over long distances. Missouri Fox Trotters are similar - they have 7 speed/5 acceleration instead of the 6/6 of an Arabian, with only slightly worse stamina. Also super expensive and don't appear in the wild at all.

They are also prissy little bitches, which is a pain when you want to shoot some dudes fast but actually makes hunting predators/snakes easier because they'll audibly react to them usually before the predators react to you if you're going at a light canter.

Warhorses, OTOH, are about half the speed but some of them have so much stamina you can run them from one end of the map to another without matching your a-tapping to the horse hooves hitting and still have some stamina left when you get there. For reference, I did the Valentine-St. Denis Dry Run challenge on a war horse with 3 speed/3 acceleration in just under 6 minutes, on play through 2 with an Arabian along the same route I took just over 4 and used significantly more horse items.
Warhorses also have a metric fuckton of health, I've had mine get mauled by a Grizzly when I wasn't paying attention, get up, kick the thing, then run off without realizing that the grizzly was dead from a hoof to the head. I think I'm using the preorder bonus one, though, so I don't know if the other Ardennes are similar.

None of this matters for racing, though, because your opponents have a maximum distance that can separate the two of you, so that 6 speed on an Arabian won't get you half a map ahead like it should. Speed does help escaping, though. Bounty Hunters can rubber band also, but the faster horses outpace them AND can speed past the new pack spawning ahead of you before they fully spawn in.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

(E- to avoid the missing camp people glitch)

I thought you just had to not start from a checkpoint on that one mission where you bring the ladies into town.

I had the glitch happen but went back to an earlier save, redid that mission without restarting from a checkpoint, and now there’s all my camp buddies around :)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I had an extremely Chuck Norris moment the other day. A rattlesnake bit me twice and died immediately.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

shut up blegum posted:

I didn't do that either, was afraid to get the law on me. What did I miss?

I did the same. But basically you get the blueprints to his electric chair. Nothing important but a nice bit of info fluff and I love info fluff. I looked up the end to that mission just in case I missed something and that wasn't mentioned. :v:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DrNutt posted:

I had an extremely Chuck Norris moment the other day. A rattlesnake bit me twice and died immediately.

Nice, I hope you took him and turned him into that rattlesnake band hat at the trapper.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slim Killington posted:

Nice, I hope you took him and turned him into that rattlesnake band hat at the trapper.

Close. He was three star and I needed him to make a snake banjo for Uncle to play. :banjo:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

And the Hosea thing is weird because I never actually got the conversation, it just showed up in my left d-pad menu one day.

You get Hosea's by picking up a book of his in camp. You were probably interacting with stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Does the black Arabian have a different temperament than the white? Mine seems more like my old Ardennes whereas I’d gotten pretty used to the white Arabian bucking me off at the first sign of trouble.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Transmogrifier posted:

You get Hosea's by picking up a book of his in camp. You were probably interacting with stuff.

Oh word? That explains it.

Something minor that blew me away about camp interactions was when I cleaned up in a camp poker game and Lenny came by talking poo poo about how he was gonna take my money next time we played.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I do feel guilty taking Lenny's fifty cents when I have three thousand dollars in change on me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Four-Eyes posted:

I do feel guilty taking Lenny's fifty cents when I have three thousand dollars in change on me.

I don't see anything stopping these guys from jaunting down the hill to Limpany themselves. :shrug:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Four-Eyes posted:

There's a LOT of character interactions - Javier plays a lot of guitar, the women get catty behind each other's backs, Dutch's facade cracks early, etc.

You can even hear Sean and Karen have sex.

It's... underwhelming. Poor Karen. She didn't get hers.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

uncle w benefits posted:

You can even hear Sean and Karen have sex.

It's... underwhelming. Poor Karen. She didn't get hers.

Wait what :stare:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Never leave the party early.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo grimshaw with the surprise darkhorse rocketing up the charts to awesome character moment.

Also liked the touch of when in chapter 4 you rescue the slaves from that one shop you have the ability to give them the money from the till to help them on their way.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

ZeusCannon posted:

Holy poo poo grimshaw with the surprise darkhorse rocketing up the charts to awesome character moment.

Also liked the touch of when in chapter 4 you rescue the slaves from that one shop you have the ability to give them the money from the till to help them on their way.

every time I come through that shop I let the clerk know who's really in charge. "I'll sell to you, but you better get after!" I'm sorry all I hear is "please rob my slaving rear end a fifth time"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Variable 5 posted:

Never leave the party early.

I partied until the next day and didn’t hear that at all, just heard other people commenting about it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is there a good place to sell orchids? Also, is releasing fish still the best honor bump? Mine has dropped a bit thanks to all the bandit challenges.