Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If Vader could do one, young athletic Paul Wight could definitely do one :colbert:

Sure, but that assumes he actually tried one. There's video of Vader and Lesnar doing wild poo poo, we've only ever HEARD of Wight doing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sure, but that assumes he actually tried one. There's video of Vader and Lesnar doing wild poo poo, we've only ever HEARD of Wight doing one.

This is a fair point. Hogan told him NOT to do it anymore, so if Hogan says he did one then obviously Paul never has.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think he's like Bryant where he is safe to wrestle with but will only wrestle at top gear and is very self-destructive. Even that is tough to say though, his injury really had nothing to do with him. Dragon Lee either released the suplex when he shouldn't of or Hiromu just sort of slipped out of his hands.

He does that move with a bridge pin, it’s not supposed to be released. Most likely lost his grip, yeah.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Reminder, that was Dragon Lee's fourth match in 24 hours.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Aphrodite posted:

He does that move with a bridge pin, it’s not supposed to be released. Most likely lost his grip, yeah.

My best guess is he couldn't pop his hip (his hips were bandaged up probably from wrestling in a tournament to the finals the night before) and let go early on purpose hoping Hiromu would just take a front bump but it was far too late for Hirmou to react in time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a sum-up or list of bad Wikipedia discussions for why they stopped listing wrestler’s moves? It’s been over a year I feel like and I still get annoyed when I check out a wrestler I just discovered and it’s not there, or if I’m trying to remember what wrestlers used to use

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone have a sum-up or list of bad Wikipedia discussions for why they stopped listing wrestler’s moves? It’s been over a year I feel like and I still get annoyed when I check out a wrestler I just discovered and it’s not there, or if I’m trying to remember what wrestlers used to use

Wikipedia editors are weird insular power obsessed goon stereotypes and they decided that having signature moves listed wasn't encyclopedic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I hate it. I always enjoyed seeing if wrestlers I was just discovering had cool finishes/names for their finish. Thankfully Cagematch is still around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's probably one dude who for whatever reason gets to make the final call on this and is just furiously refusing to accept 99% of people noting,"Putting their moves list makes perfect sense and even if it didn't, what the gently caress does it hurt?"

Last time this got brought up, somebody linked to a horrifying discussion page where some guy spent literal YEARS refusing to let Zack Ryder have his own wikipedia page and insisting that anybody looking up Zack had to read a joint page with Curt Hawkins instead.

Edit: I think the page in question basically ended up being like 10% about the Major Brothers/Edgeheads, and the other 90% was intensely detailed breakdowns of Zack Ryder's solo career.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Please, if you're ever going to listen to anything I say, let it be this one time: do not look into this. Do not immerse yourself into Wikipedia rules and decision making. Don't do it, I beg of you. It is a living nightmare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Please, if you're ever going to listen to anything I say, let it be this one time: do not look into this. Do not immerse yourself into Wikipedia rules and decision making. Don't do it, I beg of you. It is a living nightmare.

:hai::hf::gonk:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kimoa Kid posted:

For once, Kimoa and I are in complete agreement.

But the short version of this: They did it to make the articles more presentable and more likely to get on the front page and despite nobody who reads the articles agreeing with that decision, wikipedia doesn't function in a way that makes logical sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There's probably one dude who for whatever reason gets to make the final call on this and is just furiously refusing to accept 99% of people noting,"Putting their moves list makes perfect sense and even if it didn't, what the gently caress does it hurt?"

Last time this got brought up, somebody linked to a horrifying discussion page where some guy spent literal YEARS refusing to let Zack Ryder have his own wikipedia page and insisting that anybody looking up Zack had to read a joint page with Curt Hawkins instead.

Edit: I think the page in question basically ended up being like 10% about the Major Brothers/Edgeheads, and the other 90% was intensely detailed breakdowns of Zack Ryder's solo career.

It's a group and there was an easy consensus.

They literally told people who complained that just because something is useful and liked doesn't mean it's important.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

As someone who used to follow the wrestling theme song community when I was much younger, seeing every wrestler's theme song listed on Wikipedia was AWESOME and a great reference

And then it went away because autism

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

When Wikipedia first started they were obsessed with legitimacy because no one was going to take an encyclopedia that anyone can edit seriously. They're still obsessed with it in 2018 and it just leads to tons of draconian rules and insane decisions on what is and isn't becoming of an encyclopedia. They seem to miss that they're a modern institution and can use the digital medium for every trivial fact.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's a group and there was an easy consensus.

They literally told people who complained that just because something is useful and liked doesn't mean it's important.

Yeah, that sounds right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't remember any encyclopedias hitting me up for money every stinking time I opened them, so they only seem to have problems modernizing on some fronts.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wonder if Wiki editors care that something called TVTropes eats their lunch when it comes to maintaining a database on pop culture knowledge.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

I don't remember any encyclopedias hitting me up for money every stinking time I opened them, so they only seem to have problems modernizing on some fronts.

The wild thing about this is that the Wikimedia Foundation is, by all accounts, absolutely flush with cash, and they continue to beg and plead as if they're on the verge of shutting down.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wonder if Wiki editors care that something called TVTropes eats their lunch when it comes to maintaining a database on pop culture knowledge.

That has its own extremely :yikes: issues but at least it's fun to read.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The wild thing about this is that the Wikimedia Foundation is, by all accounts, absolutely flush with cash, and they continue to beg and plead as if they're on the verge of shutting down.

There was a thread in PYF that had a derail about marketing with some people claiming that after a certain point, you could argue that Pepsi and Coke don't even really need to advertise. And on paper, that seems sensible, since even underdeveloped countries with virtually no media of their own know those names, but another poster pointed out that Coke used to have less of a stranglehold in the marketplace until one of their competitors eased up on advertising with the same logic and now that company's gone (the company's name was in the post but I don't remember). I think companies that are doing well like Wikimedia probably use the same logic, since, ostensibly, the product is free for anybody with an internet connection.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Gumball Gumption posted:

When Wikipedia first started they were obsessed with legitimacy because no one was going to take an encyclopedia that anyone can edit seriously. They're still obsessed with it in 2018 and it just leads to tons of draconian rules and insane decisions on what is and isn't becoming of an encyclopedia. They seem to miss that they're a modern institution and can use the digital medium for every trivial fact.

And after all of that they still aren't and will never be considered a valid academic source.

Sorry, you pedantic dorks!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

And after all of that they still aren't and will never be considered a valid academic source.

Sorry, you pedantic dorks!

I just use them as a backdoor source, find their citations and use them accordingly. It's a bit extra work, but it beats sweatin' a 20 page essay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just use them as a backdoor source, find their citations and use them accordingly. It's a bit extra work, but it beats sweatin' a 20 page essay.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

shut uuuuuuuup

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the dumbest loving thing from years back was one editor who kept changing the phrasing of every band name's introduction from "Metallica is" to "Metallica are" and so on

The compromise (still used to this day) is articles for American bands use "is" and articles for British bands use "are"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I remember the dumbest loving thing from years back was one editor who kept changing the phrasing of every band name's introduction from "Metallica is" to "Metallica are" and so on

The compromise (still used to this day) is articles for American bands use "is" and articles for British bands use "are"

I'm sure blood has been shed over the the spelling of colo(u)r

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There was a thread in PYF that had a derail about marketing with some people claiming that after a certain point, you could argue that Pepsi and Coke don't even really need to advertise. And on paper, that seems sensible, since even underdeveloped countries with virtually no media of their own know those names, but another poster pointed out that Coke used to have less of a stranglehold in the marketplace until one of their competitors eased up on advertising with the same logic and now that company's gone (the company's name was in the post but I don't remember). I think companies that are doing well like Wikimedia probably use the same logic, since, ostensibly, the product is free for anybody with an internet connection.

It was Moxie

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"are" implies collective ownership while "is" is more corporate,

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

It was Moxie

Thanks!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also, just a small contribution to Wikipedia's weirdness about wrestling

Joey Janela doesn't have a wikipedia page

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone created a Joey Janela article only for some dumbshit to say "BBBBBUT I DONT KNOW WHO THIS IS" and nominate it for speedy deletion.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

lol

I looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Joey_Janela

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha my God this is so unbelievably petty. Do they think Joey Janela's Spring Break is made up?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

NotTheFakeJTP: Joey Janela isn't a real or noteworthy person
also NotTheFakeJTP: here's my wiki page on Paris-based Overwatch esports team 'Paris Eternal': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Eternal

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Ahaha my God this is so unbelievably petty. Do they think Joey Janela's Spring Break is made up?

They want sources that aren't in the pro wrestling bubble.

Really that isnt being petty, most articles site wide are supposed to be like that.

Y'all are as bad as Bryan Alvarez in trying to cross the barrier between pro wrestling and the rest of the world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

exploded mummy posted:

They want sources that aren't in the pro wrestling bubble.

Really that isnt being petty, most articles site wide are supposed to be like that.

Y'all are as bad as Bryan Alvarez in trying to cross the barrier between pro wrestling and the rest of the world.
There is, however, a certain degree of obtuseness in requiring a PRINT media source for an internet encyclopaedia.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Helicity posted:

NotTheFakeJTP: Joey Janela isn't a real or noteworthy person
also NotTheFakeJTP: here's my wiki page on Paris-based Overwatch esports team 'Paris Eternal': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Eternal

paris eternal has significant funding and esports are on the mainstream right now with regular coverage from most major sports media outlets. not discrediting the creation of joey janela, he certainly merits his own page after helping promote several cards that were able to draw independently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

paris eternal has significant funding and esports are on the mainstream right now with regular coverage from most major sports media outlets. not discrediting the creation of joey janela, he certainly merits his own page after helping promote several cards that were able to draw independently.

But apparently if a site covers a sport as it's main focus, it doesn't count as a source. Surely they must be in the papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No one actually cares about professional gaming, they only pretend to because they assume teens care. Also it's not a sport, stop letting them get away with calling it sports.