Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

My favorite part of all this is that they don’t even bother to hide Adora’s powers and she uses them just whenever.

Like the common introduction is “This is Adora, she turns into She-Ra sometimes who is a terrifying giantess” and the people they meet just roll with it.

I'm actually a little mad because I kind of feel like you should either ignore the previous versions illogic with the secret identity OR do like the Jem comics reboot did and actually justify it. She-Ra tried to have it's cake and eat it by doing the "everyone hates Adora because she used to be Horde, so she has to hide her identity" thing and then discarding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, just watched episode 11 The Promise. What is it about all these characters who take the wrong lesson away from a situation? It’s honestly getting very frustrating.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, just watched episode 11 The Promise. What is it about all these characters who take the wrong lesson away from a situation? It’s honestly getting very frustrating.

Almost all the protagonists and antagonists alike have incredibly deep trauma and major issues trying to figure out their place in the world?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Namaer posted:

I was a heterosexual man but after watching this show I am now extremely gay. AMA

Also the show is good and I wanna know if Entrapta stays with the Horde.

Who knows? The original Entrapta was 100% Horde, but the new one isn't evil so much as amoral. Maybe at some point they'll be able to convince her to come back to the alliance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember so little about the original she ra. I do remember Catra being all "mroooooooow!" and that's about it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The original She-ra and He-man are available on Netflix. Also the He-man/She-ra Christmas special is playing on syfy.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Binged the entire show tonight with my sister who is a decade younger. Followed up by showing her Flowers for Hordak, a later episode from the original series and easily one of the best. There are multiple elements from that single episode that appear to be huge inspirations for the whole season, the biggest being Shadow Weaver using a “dark ruby” to destroy the Whispering Woods. Frankly based on that alone any fascist whining about ess-jay-dubbayahs “ruining” the original show have not watched or studied the show, at all, period.

There are a couple nods and deep cuts in there, like when Razz mentions Loo-Kee and his face shows up on a folding fan, or early in the prom episode the Star Sisters are mentioned, three minor characters that were shown off for the toy line but never produced.

While it’s very subtle I feel like there’s a distant Jack Kirby Forth World feel to the show, especially with how Adora and Catra are forced to confront their relationship. In another world we’d have the same beginnings but with Scott Free and Kalibak, or Big Barda and Lashina.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
oh my god catra is the worst

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Binged the entire show tonight with my sister who is a decade younger. Followed up by showing her Flowers for Hordak, a later episode from the original series and easily one of the best. There are multiple elements from that single episode that appear to be huge inspirations for the whole season, the biggest being Shadow Weaver using a “dark ruby” to destroy the Whispering Woods. Frankly based on that alone any fascist whining about ess-jay-dubbayahs “ruining” the original show have not watched or studied the show, at all, period.

There are a couple nods and deep cuts in there, like when Razz mentions Loo-Kee and his face shows up on a folding fan, or early in the prom episode the Star Sisters are mentioned, three minor characters that were shown off for the toy line but never produced.

While it’s very subtle I feel like there’s a distant Jack Kirby Forth World feel to the show, especially with how Adora and Catra are forced to confront their relationship. In another world we’d have the same beginnings but with Scott Free and Kalibak, or Big Barda and Lashina.

I just watched Flowers For Hordak and the skeleton's have ruined the show with their dark and gritty reboot which over focuses on realism compared to the original.

thatbastardken posted:

oh my god catra is the worst

Totes!

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

amigolupus posted:

I think you'll find that Seahawk is very much a bisexual pirate.

A birate, if you will. :colbert:

Didn't Mermistra blush when looking at she'ra pretty hard? Also the "this lady can turn into a 8' tall amazon with a sword and I want her on my team."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just watched Flowers For Hordak and the skeleton's have ruined the show with their dark and gritty reboot which over focuses on realism compared to the original.

Mr Pibblekins needs something beautiful in their lives ;)

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Didn't Mermistra blush when looking at she'ra pretty hard? Also the "this lady can turn into a 8' tall amazon with a sword and I want her on my team."

Yes. Just like Bow was all blushy and starry-eyed at Sea Hawk’s antics.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Yes. Just like Bow was all blushy and starry-eyed at Sea Hawk’s antics.

Didn't Entrapta get like that with Bow too? Or was that someone else?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I was able to introduce my little 7 year old cousin to this over thanksgiving and while she said it (she-ra in particular) was "awesome", she also got bored multiple times throughout it.... Sigh

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Yep, Mermista too, Bow is a pretty important part of the recruitment process.

I'm not going to say no to a 1930's noire episode where Scorpia wears a suit and fires a tommy gun while standing up in a convertible while Catra drives it wearing a fedora and shades.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm not going to say no to a 1930's noire episode where Scorpia wears a suit and fires a tommy gun while standing up in a convertible while Catra drives it wearing a fedora and shades.

they were already rocking that genre style pretty hard in princess prom, might as well go full hog.

Give Scorpia A Gun 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Catra is the one that gets me because of how openly transparent it is. Between sleeping at Adora’s feet, showing up to the prom in drag, being the only person in the episode to use the word “love” (talking about Entrapta), and her dances with Adora, they couldn’t make it more obvious if they used a big gay foghorn.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chokes McGee posted:

Catra is the one that gets me because of how openly transparent it is. Between sleeping at Adora’s feet, showing up to the prom in drag, being the only person in the episode to use the word “love” (talking about Entrapta), and her dances with Adora, they couldn’t make it more obvious if they used a big gay foghorn.

Just because two ladies really like each other as roommates, buy a house, live together for 40+ years and adopt kids; sometimes that's just about keeping good company while you're looking for Mr. Right and totally not gay.

Just two gals discussing ancient technologies.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I liked that she wore a suit and it was just never commented on nor expected of her to dress any other way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i like that bow is categorically incapable of wearing a shirt or armor that doesn't show off his sick abs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Basically all the fashion choices in this show are good as hell for various reasons ranging from 'nice representation of nontraditional styles' to 'sick rear end outfit'

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope in season two they give Catra a sword and she can be the complete lesbian icon she deserves to be.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the First Ones ship thing uses the Strider alarm from Half-Life 2. Also, there was a proton pack noise from Ghostbusters when a door in the Fright Zone opened.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I hope in season two they give Catra a sword and she can be the complete lesbian icon she deserves to be.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TheShadowAvatar posted:

She did.

And let's not forget how Perfuma reacted to seeing She-Ra:

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Entrapta wasn't blushing, but she was very interested in examining She-Ra like one of her science experiments. Which coming from her, is a sign of how much she's into She-Ra.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I am impressed with the show's avoidance of drug and alcohol usage, yet showing what would happen if Adora got drunk off her rear end.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

amigolupus posted:

She did.

And let's not forget how Perfuma reacted to seeing She-Ra:

Entrapta wasn't blushing, but she was very interested in examining She-Ra like one of her science experiments. Which coming from her, is a sign of how much she's into She-Ra.
I'm kind of disappointed in the later Princess' reactions to She-Ra, because the meeting in the flower kingdom made me think She-Ra was an unstoppable babe magnet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As I said, I can imagine a fantasy world where the idea of gay straight or whatever doesn't exist. You just go for what you're into.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbAZjqSPzY

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'd say that Glimmer isn't technically a princess yet since her mother Angela is the princess of Brightmoon...

Nephthys posted:

Fool. The best princess is obviously Catra. Maybe.

...and it turns out every princess so far has a name ending with an "a."

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maybe my favorite little moment in the show so far is just after this part, when child Catra looks teenage Catra dead in the eye. I still can't decide if that look means "This is what you're about to throw away" or "This relationship was never not hosed."

e: By the way, why does Seahawk have the negative space of an upside-down "A" in his shirt?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like Catra exploited her friendship with Adora. In the first episode she was pretty content to let Adora do all the hard work, then latch herself onto it once its done.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Catra exploited her friendship with Adora. In the first episode she was pretty content to let Adora do all the hard work, then latch herself onto it once its done.

Yeah, but on the other hand, she learned at a pretty young age that her continuing existence depended on Adora being happy with their friendship--at that point, are they really friends? I mean, obviously Adora was completely oblivious to Shadow Weaver's threats and just continued to love Catra no matter what, but, from Catra's perspective, it's not really a real friendship if her life depends on it.

Edit: gives a lot more meaning to how much Catra freaked out when Adora left her at first, I think, until she realized she could outmaneuver Shadow Weaver

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 26, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

catra is definitely a princess though, the scene with light hope explaining the runestones had a silhouette with a tail.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I am impressed with the show's avoidance of drug and alcohol usage, yet showing what would happen if Adora got drunk off her rear end.

The showmakers are just taking inspiration from the creativity of the 80s version. :v: Wasn't there a mandate that She-Ra can't be shown to punch or use her sword so the makers had to get super resourceful on showing off her power.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm kind of disappointed in the later Princess' reactions to She-Ra, because the meeting in the flower kingdom made me think She-Ra was an unstoppable babe magnet.

I can see wanting a huge scene like Perfuma did. Though while it's not as overt as Perfuma's reaction, the way Mermista and Entrapta reacted was rather strong if you consider their personalities. Mermista's pretty unflappable, but she blushed pretty hard at She-Ra. And Entrapta was super interested researching She-Ra when the main thing that gets her attention is technology.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

she-ra is technology though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

e: By the way, why does Seahawk have the negative space of an upside-down "A" in his shirt?

It’s where Bow’s heart fits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'd say that Glimmer isn't technically a princess yet since her mother Angela is the princess of Brightmoon...

...and it turns out every princess so far has a name ending with an "a."

Angela is a Queen. She is even referred to as such.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Angela is a Queen. She is even referred to as such.

And even if that weren’t so, daughters (and granddaughters) of princesses are also princesses.

Also, Bow is a princess :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Team Catra >>> Team Adora and you all know it :colbert:

Catra actually being a princess wouldn't solve any of her problems in my opinion - if anything, I think it would only make her feel even more vindicated in rejecting her.