Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I recently started drawing for the first time in a while 3-4 days ago, and whilst doing the basics I felt like trying to tackle something above my pay grade every day to see where I go wrong and how far I'll need to improve. I'm currently using my Final Fantasy XIV character as a convenient (relatively) posable model, and I was trying to see how figure drawing as a whole worked rather than just going for individual bits of the body. This was my second attempt after messing up the body proportions of the first one. I definitely messed up the gesture work and made the torso too slanted, and it turns out I can't draw breasts for poo poo yet, but hey, it's a learning process.

Getting to draw a good thigh curve feels real satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

February

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Havem't posted here for a long while, but here's an (early progress) crop from something I'm drawing. anyways I'm probably just gonna fly away again hope you all are doing well :angel:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

March

a hole-y ghost posted:

Havem't posted here for a long while, but here's an (early progress) crop from something I'm drawing. anyways I'm probably just gonna fly away again hope you all are doing well :angel:

You should post more, good stuff!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

April

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

May

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Some quick doodles.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Just a doodle of my usual "many-eyed corpse gods of unfathomable size bursting from the broken earth to scream portentously at me about work deadlines" stress dreams.

Seri
Sep 29, 2013

Finished this the other day, my second ever drawing. It isnt the best but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Took seven hours to draw and an hour to color. Felt slow but I was being really nitpicky with how I wanted it.

I'd like to do digital art but where I don't have a tablet (or any idea what tablet I should even get) I'm doing traditional to try and get basics down.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's hella impressive for your second ever!

Digital art is way more complicated, I think you're absolutely right to stick with trad to get your bearings.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Seri posted:

Finished this the other day, my second ever drawing. It isnt the best but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Took seven hours to draw and an hour to color...

You have some really clean, non-scribbly lines. You should be happy, that's really good for a second drawing!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

June

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

idk if i posted that already, long pals

some poo poo i started in 2013 and will maybe one day finish..

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

As done on stream:

July

August

Recording of the stream is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2zfBjXhm0

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 29, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I really like July especially - really nice composition and colours.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You can see from my furious diss that I do, in fact, love Odo.

You can tell someone who loves Star Trek by how much they complain about it :3:

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

I forgot where I was going with this one and decided to quit while I was ahead.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Inktober 2018 Slideshow

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Tumblr is a bad website that is auto marking my pixel art posts as sensitive now.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Got kinda burnt out, so I didn't work on the calendar today. Instead I tried to do some more tile work.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Pixel art = pixellated = CLEVERLY HIDDEN SECRET BOOBS AND PENISES

oh hey I'm pretty sure I never posted this so I'm doing it now 'cause I got nothing new done

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

please don't blow up my spot like this

content
Feb 13, 2014

Dig this. Jealous of your cool bird feet. Very talonted.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Hadn’t done a self portrait in a while. I forgot how much fun they are.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Shinmera posted:

My approach is probably very much geared towards the way I draw now, but perhaps it's still of some use.

I start with a line for the shoulders and then form it into a box for the ribcage body. This can be twisted for turns and stuff, so it's pretty flexible.

I then complete the upper body with another box for the pelvis.

Then I add legs and feet. I use very few, long strokes for everything so that the figure remains clear and fluid.

Next are the arms and hands, similar to the legs and feet. Note that a lot of the parts of the figure form out of S and C curves. Focusing on curves like that leads to pleasing shapes.

And finally I add the head and neck. I feel like doing the head last works better for me since I get a better idea for the overall body shape through the ribcage and appendages.

Of course extra stuff like clothes is just layered on top after that.

Again, not sure if this is going to be good for your skill level and your goals with art, but hopefully it at least stilled some of your curiosity. It's probably not too great to learn about volume since it leaves a lot left to you to imagine in that department, so it's probably a better idea to use more detailed skeletons first.

I also have some draw streams archived, in case you're interested in a live thing.

Vermain posted:

I have a fairly standard process when it comes to doing longer works.

From left to right:
  • Gesture: Trying to capture a good gesture is critical for a good finished piece. I think this is where a lot of people who are new to art get stuck, because it's such a weird, nebulous concept. It's a rhythm that you only notice when it's absent, and its absence can turn even the best piece of draftsmanship into a dull rock. I start off with a fixed point (the head) and work from there, thinking about the relationship of the curves and angles. In this piece, I started with the head, found a basic line of the shoulders, found a curvature of the chest, and then used the bottom of that curve to create an angle into the legs. The important thing when drawing human gesture is to think about the alternating forms of the body: when one muscle flexes, its antagonist contracts; when one side squashes, the other side stretches. You can see this especially in the arms, where the curve of the deltoid follows into the curve of the tricep which follows into the curve of the bicep, creating a kind of stairstep or flow. This is where I'm least concerned about proportion or three-dimensionality; if the gesture is good, those two will naturally follow.
  • Blocking: If I think the gesture looks good (or, in the case of a relatively quick piece like this, good enough), I'll start trying to better define the contour and three-dimensionality of the figure. I use simple, straight lines and hard angles, since this helps me to visualize plane changes better and helps me to determine overlaps that I can use to describe the physical structure of the figure in space. This is also a good place to catch proportion mistakes, inaccuracies, or an overly-stiff gesture. The gesture will naturally harden once you start turning it into proper forms, so doing this basic "blocking" helps me to figure out if my gesture needed to be looser. In the case of this gesture, I figured out several proportion mistakes (head, arm length), and figured out where I needed to improve the gesture (mainly the deltoids in order to create a smoother flow).
  • Firming: Using the blocking stage as a guide, I start to better define the figure. If I'm not drawing from reference, I'll usually redo the blocking and/or gesture phase if I find issues during the blocking stage. In a case like this, since I'm drawing from reference, I feel more confident in simply correcting mistakes in the firming stage. This is where I start adding in anatomical features, creating smoother curves to replace some of the harder angles, and generally checking proportions and perspective to try and ensure it looks correct. In longer pieces, I'll usually spend a significant amount of time in this stage, checking and re-checking the features until I'm confident in what I've drawn. This is usually where a solid grasp of anatomy comes in most handy, but you can often get away with lackluster anatomical knowledge if your gesture is good enough. Unless we're looking up close at a highly detailed back or something similar, we tend to look more for the curves of the body, rather than individual muscles.
I did this one rather quickly as an illustration, so there's some goofs I'd go back and correct with more time spent (right leg's connection into the pelvis is weird, left leg needs better definition around the kneecap, could define the right armpit better, etc.). While it's important to strive for accuracy, it's equally important to not get bound up too much in making every piece perfect. If I'm just practicing, I only want to spend a few minutes at most with firming up the figure so that I can note my mistakes and move on to the next practice piece. It's more economical than sitting and fretting about the accuracy of a leg muscle for 20 minutes, because it doesn't give you the same amount of practice (and, thus, the same amount of confidence) that quickly doing pieces gives.

I should also note that I usually do the gesture and blocking stages a fair bit lighter; I darkened them here just for purposes of clarity.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the write ups. Much appreciated.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nude posted:

Just wanted to thank you guys for the write ups. Much appreciated.

i watched some of shinmera's stream and it was super instructive even though i work in a very different style and program

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The biggest secret to art is that there's no "right" way to do it. In Glenn Vilppu's words: there's no rules, but there are tools. I've watched and read dozens of other artists, and everyone has subtly different ways of going about things. Learning all the ways that people approach things like gesture better prepares you to tackle complex problems in the future. I've found that some techniques work better for some poses, and other techniques for other poses. It's all a matter of experimenting around and figuring out what works best for you.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Made some time at work to scribble a little. I should probably actually start setting goals and get some direction going.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my boi

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Al! posted:

This made me laugh.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Some more pixel work today, but also calendar stuff!

September

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

It has to be because of me posting from my phone or using files from dotpict that are autoflagging my drawings as sensitive because this one was marked right away as well.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

loving :nws: that filth! Christ...

Hard expression to draw, not sure I got it quite right. It wasn't helped by the reference pic being tiny. Still, glad to be back on the drawing-horse.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

We all seen ur HUEG pink airship ((never forget)) :getin:

Superfly, I don't wonder that dog got flagged as nsfw. It's not wearing any pants!

Grumpy kitties.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

We all seen ur HUEG pink airship ((never forget)) :getin:

Superfly, I don't wonder that dog got flagged as nsfw. It's not wearing any pants!

Grumpy kitties.

gently caress! I keep forgetting about that!!

(Thats a great cat wizard)

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

WIP on a big ol brutalism study.