Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

KracKiwi posted:

I have an LG OLED C8 + Denon AVR-X3500H and ran into similar issues with 4k HDR. What worked for me was changing the receiver signal format from standard to enhanced in setup -> video -> 4k signal format:

Update: This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I was sorting through some of my eBates deals (they're doing 15% cash back on Dell.com right now) and there's a frickin' 86" LG 4K/HDR TV for $2500 and a $250 gift card.

So adding the 15% discount plus the $250 gift card value together... that brings an 86" LG TV under $2k. Nuts!

https://deals.dell.com/category/televisions

edit: It's this TV: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-86UK6570PUB-86-Inch-Ultra/dp/B079MNK72V

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the cheapest 4k TV in the 49-55" range that does legit UHD?

edit: Currently lookin gat the VIZIO M-Series 55" for $500

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 23, 2018

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

BonoMan posted:

I was sorting through some of my eBates deals (they're doing 15% cash back on Dell.com right now) and there's a frickin' 86" LG 4K/HDR TV for $2500 and a $250 gift card.

So adding the 15% discount plus the $250 gift card value together... that brings an 86" LG TV under $2k. Nuts!

https://deals.dell.com/category/televisions

edit: It's this TV: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-86UK6570PUB-86-Inch-Ultra/dp/B079MNK72V

I hear a siren's call for a 75"+ TV but feel there probably has to be some cautionary tale I haven't heard yet. What are the dangers and pitfalls of these giants?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finally got the X850E I'd been eyeing for 1199 in an open box deal back in September...850F is on for 1299 at BB today D:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krime posted:

I hear a siren's call for a 75"+ TV but feel there probably has to be some cautionary tale I haven't heard yet. What are the dangers and pitfalls of these giants?

Your friends will hate you extra hard? No idea really. "They aren't OLEDs" is probably the worst I can think of.

There's also a 75" version of the 86" one I posted for $1200 (under $1000 with eBates 15% rebate)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Krime posted:

The danger/pitfall is that you'll spend an exorbitant amount for it and a majority of the content you'll watch on it (HD cable) will look kinda lovely unless you're a couple rooms away.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
Can someone who owns a 2018 Samsung TV please clarify the extent to which they have dropped DTS support? I pulled some random discs from my blu ray collection and *all* of them list DTS-HD or some variation thereof as the codec. (I'm eyeing the NU7179 but it sounds like this affects all 2018 models the same)

1. Will I be able to play DTS blu rays via an external player on the TV?
2. Will I be able to loop DTS sound back to my AVR via the TV?
3. Will I be able to play DTS mkvs with the TV?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm losing my god drat mind here. My mother-in-law just got a UN55NU800D, and she has DISH with a Sony BDV-IS1000 for surround sound.

I'm trying to control everything through Samsung's remote which is probably a bad idea but it works for 90% of what we need. The problem is when it's on the input for DISH it will not show the volume level UI over the picture and will only interact with the receiver when it has a direct line of site with the IR sensor on the receiver.

Now if I switch the input to the receiver I still maintain the picture of the DISH box, the volume works fine, but I lose the channel up/down function on the Samsung remote and the smart shortcuts to guide/recordings.

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end because she has all the AV equipment in a closet. Wondering if I just need some sort of IR repeater and call it a day, frustrating to not have the UI on the screen though.

Oddly enough when setting up the remote, it confirms all the functionality, and while in that setup wizard the volume and channel functionality all work as expected, as soon as I hit finish on that wizard it doesn't work.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The LG magic remote has issues. It’s fine for the LG native stuff and apps but it kind of sucks as a universal remote.

First of all it’s an RF remote and not IR. So any IR device control has to go through the hdmi cable which means that any electronic device you want to use has to support that access. This is a problem for me in that apparently TiVO and LG just do not want to play nice at all.

Next there is just a complete lack of buttons, Stop? FF? RW? Eject? It’s not like these are special functions that you would not typically want to access.

I don’t mind the mouse wand, that’s fine and can solve a lot of interface issues, except that the things I want to interface with it are not on a PC desktop.

If it had a secondary IR transmitter and a couple more buttons (or programable) it would be really good. As it is it’s just kind of a clunker.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I barely touch the LG remote. Useful for when changing picture settings or the odd occasion I use a built on app, but all the important stuff is spread across other remotes anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't use my LG remote that often since I have a Harmony, but it seems to control my TiVo just fine.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

I don't use my LG remote that often since I have a Harmony, but it seems to control my TiVo just fine.

Harmony Hub with remote is a fantastic piece of equipment. It just works so well.

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
Looks like the 77" version of the LG C8 is on sale for $5249 at Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9KB7GH5725&ignorebbr=1

Note that it's from a marketplace seller, but they seem to have decent reviews. Got a tracking number with expected delivery date of 11/30, crossing fingers!

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
As my family and I were leaving Best Buy this evening, I saw an unfortunate soul that didn’t bring a big enough car for his new 55-65” TV.

This kid had literally pulled the tv out of the box in the parking lot and was trying to cram it in any way he could into his little Cruze or something that size. It didn’t help that he didn’t even bother to empty the car out beforehand as he was shuffling around a standing fan and some other random pieces as well.

I understand being excited and wanting to take something home with you right away instead of waiting for a delivery or friend with a truck, but please make sure your vehicle can accommodate the package before running off to the store. I imagine if he somehow fits it in, the risk of it getting messed up in transit have went up tenfold at this point.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wandler20 posted:

Harmony Hub with remote is a fantastic piece of equipment. It just works so well.

Which Harmony remote are you using?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

How bad is the crosshatching on the TCL's? I plan on using this hooked up to my PC, and I'm kinda concerned about it. Not sure what comparable options there are at the moment.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

craptown posted:

Note that it's from a marketplace seller, but they seem to have decent reviews. Got a tracking number with expected delivery date of 11/30, crossing fingers!

The 77" is overkill for our apartment (or TV stand), but I did look at the 65 and Newegg (proper, not marketplace) has it up for $2300. I think that's as good as it gets, trigger pulled!

Time to get on the OLED gravy train! :bandwagon:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

craptown posted:

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/12340975

Try to cancel the order!

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

Thanks! Just sent a message to the seller trying to cancel the order. Hopefully they respond in time so I can get this deal.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

craptown posted:

Thanks! Just sent a message to the seller trying to cancel the order. Hopefully they respond in time so I can get this deal.

Yeah I just had a slickdeals pop up on my phone (I get them all day) and was like "oh poo poo didn't someone just say like twenty minutes ago that they paid over 5k for this TV?" so I hope I saved you some money :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

comper posted:

As my family and I were leaving Best Buy this evening, I saw an unfortunate soul that didn’t bring a big enough car for his new 55-65” TV.

This kid had literally pulled the tv out of the box in the parking lot and was trying to cram it in any way he could into his little Cruze or something that size. It didn’t help that he didn’t even bother to empty the car out beforehand as he was shuffling around a standing fan and some other random pieces as well.

I understand being excited and wanting to take something home with you right away instead of waiting for a delivery or friend with a truck, but please make sure your vehicle can accommodate the package before running off to the store. I imagine if he somehow fits it in, the risk of it getting messed up in transit have went up tenfold at this point.

I worked at Best Buy doing inventory for a long time, we always did the carryouts. Watching people try to cram big items in little cars never got old.

My favorite was the guy who put his TV in his pickup truck and didn't strap it down at all, turned left out of our parking lot, TV went right. Smash. And this was 10 years ago when TVs weren't $300. :D

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Which Harmony remote are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...O6rL&ref=plSrch

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Got the 55” tcl 4 series from Costco yesterday ($339, praise be unto Costco). Set expectations very low and am actually really impressed . Had a 2007 Samsung go kaput this year and temporarily replaced that with a 2011 Panasonic led. Should I get the square trade warranty? How have experiences been using it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Under no circumstances would I get a warranty for a TV that costs 339.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

This deal has expired. :mad:

Not that in any way I should pay for a new big television for a room that really needs to be remodeled before I do anything like that, but goddamn would that be a great deal.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

sellouts posted:

Under no circumstances would I get a warranty for a TV that costs 339.

I figured as much. With the Costco extended warranty I figure I have 2 years to see if anything goes wonky and anything past that probably not worth the hassle.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My TCL 55R615 arrived today.

I think it looks great. Fired up some HDR programming, looks really good... I have not put a 100% white image on the screen and went over it with a fine tooth comb, but I am glad I didn't spend $1,000+ on another TV that looks marginally better

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Google Butt posted:

How bad is the crosshatching on the TCL's? I plan on using this hooked up to my PC, and I'm kinda concerned about it. Not sure what comparable options there are at the moment.

Just wanted to bring this up again in hope that someone is using their TCL hooked up to their pc for gaming/browsing. Does the crosshatching bother you?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Astro7x posted:

I have not put a 100% white image on the screen and went over it with a fine tooth comb

Don’t do this, it’s just not worth it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don’t do this, it’s just not worth it.

I actually saw some commercial with a pure white end frame, and it looked fine when I paused and went back. Like a very even white, no real dirty screen effect that I can see.

What I do notice is that the corners look a little bit dark, and that during a letterboxed movie tonight the action bled into the black letterbox where it was noticeable, but got over it by 10 minutes into the movie. I assume this is all just LED things that cannot be avoided and me being used to OLED in the other room.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Google Butt posted:

Just wanted to bring this up again in hope that someone is using their TCL hooked up to their pc for gaming/browsing. Does the crosshatching bother you?

I bought the low-end 43" TCL a year or so back with the intent of using it as both a TV and secondary PC monitor.

I loved it as a TV other than the super-wide legs not being great for my surfaces, but it sucked as a monitor. If by crosshatching you mean the grid between the pixels, yes it was very noticeable on that one at desktop distances.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is QLED worth paying more for?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smoobles posted:

Is QLED worth paying more for?

In a word: no.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't buy a Samsung TV in 2018.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best 82+ inch TV right now?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Define best. The 900F is probably your best all around but you're still gonna be paying an extreme premium at that size.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but is there a Goon recommended HDMI switcher? I have too few inputs for all my poo poo I want to plug in

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

American McGay posted:

Define best. The 900F is probably your best all around but you're still gonna be paying an extreme premium at that size.

Whoa you weren't kidding about the premium...

What makes a $3,000 Samsung QLED so terrible to the point that a $5,500 Sony is better?

I am out of the loop on TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smoobles posted:

Whoa you weren't kidding about the premium...

What makes a $3,000 Samsung QLED so terrible to the point that a $5,500 Sony is better?

I am out of the loop on TVs.

Because you either want an OLED, a projector & screen, or a sub $500 TCL tv. There isn’t a use case for the Samsung QLED with those alternatives.