Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
challenge: write some kind of demo that runs on the 840av's dsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I love all of you in this thread. it’s all soo good. just keep it up.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

r u ready to WALK posted:

Now I gotta hunt down the DSP software specific to the TI chip in the 840av

lol what DSP software (also it’s an AT&T DSP3210, not a TI)

if you find the SDK for it let me know, unlike NeXT it wasn’t a standard part of the developer tools

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bought a thing

then I did this

and now I’m doing this

which is a good thing because previous it was responsible for this

current status is this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eschaton posted:

if you find the SDK for it let me know, unlike NeXT it wasn’t a standard part of the developer tools

was there ever a public sdk for it? all I remember it being used for was speech recognition and softmodems and those were both system services

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I bought a thing

watercooled quad? i think a lot of them suffered that fate. how much of it is left?

can you rotate the heatsink to point at the rear fan holes? hopefully it doesn't hit the gpu. i bet you could get away with not cutting anything if you use USB headers on the board to relocate the I/O since you already got the PCI cards lined up.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

mpegdec is pretty amazing, i remember having to convert mp3 files to aiff before i could play them in realtime on my old performa 630 and it taking 15-30 minutes per song

apparently amiga nerds eventually figured out how to do it realtime in 68k assembly with plenty of time left over for other system tasks, and it ported right over to 68k macs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMh2L3yOsM

I've installed codewarrior on the Quadra, hopefully there's some documentation on that DSP thing somewhere in the reference books

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Raluek posted:

watercooled quad? i think a lot of them suffered that fate. how much of it is left?

can you rotate the heatsink to point at the rear fan holes? hopefully it doesn't hit the gpu. i bet you could get away with not cutting anything if you use USB headers on the board to relocate the I/O since you already got the PCI cards lined up.

water cooled dual

leaked and died.

this is just test hardware, he real hardware is coming soon. I’m doing the cut out of convenience but I did cut out the io of the g5 board. it’s a lot more difficult because of how little space there is though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

haveblue posted:

was there ever a public sdk for it? all I remember it being used for was speech recognition and softmodems and those were both system services

I think there was a private SDK that developers could request so people like Adobe and Avid could theoretically use the DSPs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've installed codewarrior on the Quadra, hopefully there's some documentation on that DSP thing somewhere in the reference books

there won’t be in anything from Apple or Metrowerks

here’s an FAQ someone put together

in the modern era you’d probably just want to assemble for the DSP on a UNIX or whatever, and then reverse engineer how to make Mac OS hand the blob to the DSP to run and transfer data with

unless someone has uploaded an ISO of the ARTA SDK somewhere of course

edit: holy poo poo, the Quadra 660AV & 840AV Developer’s Note actuality goes into a lot of detail

eschaton fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 19, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

water cooled dual

leaked and died.

this is just test hardware, he real hardware is coming soon. I’m doing the cut out of convenience but I did cut out the io of the g5 board. it’s a lot more difficult because of how little space there is though

oh well, rip. where is the lack of space, the lip where the I/O panel would have been on ATX?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

yup. on atx the io area is the same “level” as the pcie, but on g5 the io is extended so the back is flush but the pcie is still recessed.

most people doing this seem to be buying the laserhive kit but gently caress paying money to replace the back panel with something worse.

a few people mount the motherboard inboard, chop off the last inch of the g5 mobo, and then solder extensions to the original io. no cutting on the exterior needed but :effort: and it also means you need a pcie extension of some sort.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

yup. on atx the io area is the same “level” as the pcie, but on g5 the io is extended so the back is flush but the pcie is still recessed.

most people doing this seem to be buying the laserhive kit but gently caress paying money to replace the back panel with something worse.

a few people mount the motherboard inboard, chop off the last inch of the g5 mobo, and then solder extensions to the original io. no cutting on the exterior needed but :effort: and it also means you need a pcie extension of some sort.

if you mounted it like you have it, with the PCI slots lining up, that leaves the mobo I/O recessed, right? i would prob do that to avoid pci-e extensions, but make a little io panel out of like 8p8c keystone jacks and those usb cables that plug into your mobo header that are supposed to go in the pci slots. what do you really need, besides ethernet, usb, and graphics? i might even be tempted to just block off the old I/O location and stick all that stuff in pci slots anyway. that way you dont need to chop anything up at all

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
im building a php framework because i hate the world and want everyone to suffer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my new dog posted:

im building a php framework because i hate the world and want everyone to suffer

jesus did you lose a bet or something

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my new dog posted:

did you time travel here from 2005 or something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that won't make everyone suffer, just you

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

my new dog posted:

add a command bus

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my new dog posted:

go is the new php, use that instead

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

php microservice framework with autogenerated docker and kubernetes configs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

php microservice framework with autogenerated docker and kubernetes configs

written in go

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Raluek posted:

if you mounted it like you have it, with the PCI slots lining up, that leaves the mobo I/O recessed, right? i would prob do that to avoid pci-e extensions, but make a little io panel out of like 8p8c keystone jacks and those usb cables that plug into your mobo header that are supposed to go in the pci slots. what do you really need, besides ethernet, usb, and graphics? i might even be tempted to just block off the old I/O location and stick all that stuff in pci slots anyway. that way you dont need to chop anything up at all

The main problem with doing it that way is that the g5 only has 4 pci slots on the back.

2 would be taken up by any gpu that's faster than integrated
leaving you with 2: 1 as a usb header, and then 1 free for maybe a wifi card or something.

the stock IO uses jacks that extend out to be flush with the case too, so good luck with the 8p8c keystone jack

Cutting the back isn't the elegant solution, but it's also the easiest way to make something that 1) works with any future hardware, 2) doesn't cost any more money, and 3) doesn't involve major soldering.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the biggest pain in the rear end is the front panel though. the power switch only needs 1 pin because it shares a ground with firewire, because of course.

So your choice is either cut up the original cable and then re-pin it to work with your motherboard, buy a pre-built cable like that for $$$, or buy the laserhive riveted on thing with new io things that looks like absolute poo poo.

(or, what I did, which is just take apart the power switch and solder an extension to that and just gently caress the front usb2, front audio, and front firewire)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
does the stock cable use a normal-ish connector such that you can jam in headers or pins or something, solder wires to those, and make your own little adapter? since you say you have to cut up the cable i assume it's not the normal shaped kind where you can depin the connector and fix it without cutting anything. if it is just the wrong shape, i suppose you can depin it and then get the right size connector body and put the pins in that. make a little jumper wire to provide the extra ground.

not that it matters cause youre p set already looks like

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Unduly pleased that in the last few-ish weeks I've managed to steal time (mostly from sleeping) to get a few things done:

(Well, if not done done, at least further along.)
  • TianoCore/EDK II build environment working; experiments proceeding apace
  • Managed to track down a version of SimNow from the depths of the Internet and get it installed and (mostly) working
  • Finally got that cross-(meta-)assembler I was looking for in my hands and working on building new tables for it
  • Successfully tracked down more than one version of another old (circa mid-to-late) 60s-era macro processor and get more than one implementation of it built and tested with some non-trivial inputs; it now joins the others in the upcoming kumite
Most of those things aren't related to each other (well, except the first two, which are at least mostly in the service of the same project), but then again, they're not entirely distinct either.

(Someday I'll have some screenshots... of VGA text consoles...)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Raluek posted:

does the stock cable use a normal-ish connector such that you can jam in headers or pins or something, solder wires to those, and make your own little adapter? since you say you have to cut up the cable i assume it's not the normal shaped kind where you can depin the connector and fix it without cutting anything. if it is just the wrong shape, i suppose you can depin it and then get the right size connector body and put the pins in that. make a little jumper wire to provide the extra ground.

not that it matters cause youre p set already looks like

stock front panel header is 2x10 pins iirc and the wiring sort of makes sense from an ease of assembly point of view (1 cable to plug in and the USB, FireWire, power button, and power led are all done)

the main problem is that since I don’t have FireWire on my stuff there’s an additional cable and it’s all a pain in the rear end

still preferable to the late g5, which uses a completely different method

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

easy, just add FireWire to your stuff!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

No thanks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

stock front panel header is 2x10 pins iirc and the wiring sort of makes sense from an ease of assembly point of view (1 cable to plug in and the USB, FireWire, power button, and power led are all done)

the main problem is that since I don’t have FireWire on my stuff there’s an additional cable and it’s all a pain in the rear end

still preferable to the late g5, which uses a completely different method

i think i would be tempted to depin the one header and get the plastic bodies to repin into whatever headers you needed, and ziptie up the unneeded firewire ones.

until now i thought only the "late" g5 got water cooling, but it looks like they actually had em for a couple years :ms:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EtherTalk or bust

also I’m surprised the iOS dictionary autocorrects every obsolete technology they’ve ever produced

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

EtherTalk or bust

also I’m surprised the iOS dictionary autocorrects every obsolete technology they’ve ever produced

has to be a lawyer thing; failing to treat a trademark as a trademark in your own dictionary being grounds for losing it, and some engineer just awk'ed out the entire list into the dictionary

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

EtherTalk or bust

if iOS doesn’t remember MessagePad and HyperCard who will?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1065442314880000000

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Raluek posted:

i think i would be tempted to depin the one header and get the plastic bodies to repin into whatever headers you needed, and ziptie up the unneeded firewire ones.

until now i thought only the "late" g5 got water cooling, but it looks like they actually had em for a couple years :ms:

A lot of people do that, yeah, but you Need to hook up firewire to get the power button to work.

I took the easy way out and just said gently caress it to front usb and firewire and power led, and just snipped the cable from the power switch and spliced an extension.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Luigi Thirty posted:

I BLINKED THE WORD “gently caress” IN MORSE CODE ON AN LED WITH AN FPGA ENTIRELY IN VERILOG

welcome to the verilog club, you have dehumanized yourself and faced to bloodshed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

update: i got a uart running and figured out how to put hex digits on my 4 digit display that come in over the wire

soon i'll be writing my own risc cpu

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

update: i got a uart running and figured out how to put hex digits on my 4 digit display that come in over the wire

soon i'll be writing my own risc cpu
when you write a book I'll order 100 copies

Path tracer progress...

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 24, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FPGA update

took me a while to figure out how to get the timing right before realizing that my 8MHz pixel clock was really a 4MHz pixel clock but i got it working

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1066544641410035712

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

FPGA update

took me a while to figure out how to get the timing right before realizing that my 8MHz pixel clock was really a 4MHz pixel clock but i got it working

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1066544641410035712

ypos bithc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

BobHoward posted:

welcome to the verilog club, you have dehumanized yourself and faced to bloodshed
This.

These morse skills will come in handy later when all you have is JTAG over barbed wire for debugging like literally almost any Xilinx dev board. ("I2C? SPI? useful/usable UART? gently caress YOU!" --Xilinx).