Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

tips for sous viding a whole prime rib?

Cut the bones off and roast them in the oven for gravy and SV is in a vac bag with garlic powder/thyme after searing and brushing with Dijon.

Finish under a broiler or in a pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My Anova Sous vide from like 5-6 years ago just broke.

Recommendations on new ones? Does the 150 watt difference between the nano and the normal one matter? Mine didn’t have Bluetooth or anything, so I don’t care much about that.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 21, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nwin posted:

My Anova Sous vide from like 5-6 years ago just broke.

Recommendations on new ones? Does the 150 watt difference between the nano and the normal one matter? Mine didn’t have Bluetooth or anything, so I don’t care much about that.

ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide just went on sale:
https://www.amazon.com/ChefSteps-Joule-Watts-White-Stainless/dp/B01M8MMLBI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Second turchetta I’ve made sous vide , went a little overboard with the pepper but it’s made for sandwiches.

The thing always ends up too big to fit in my Dutch oven or actual deep fryer. I can’t pull off the pan fry well given the shape of the thing but it puts some color on it.

Next time I will probably roll it the other way, and trim the skin so it is more compact . A little longer in the SV and it should cook up fine I would think.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Flagship Anova is for sale on Amazon for $99. The Joule is $159. Which one should I go for? It'd be my first SV.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Do you want physical controls? If yes, Anova.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah, the Joule design is great but I want physical controls, so I just ordered another Anova to replace my old, dying Anova and rusty Sansaire.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Joule's app is only OK, and it is the only way to work with the device. I personally would not buy a cooking tool that requires a smartphone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Partycat posted:

Second turchetta I’ve made sous vide , went a little overboard with the pepper but it’s made for sandwiches.

The thing always ends up too big to fit in my Dutch oven or actual deep fryer. I can’t pull off the pan fry well given the shape of the thing but it puts some color on it.

Next time I will probably roll it the other way, and trim the skin so it is more compact . A little longer in the SV and it should cook up fine I would think.

Just cut it in half when you deep fry it. Scrape out some of the herbs from the newly exposed cut face since they burn fast

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I bought the Joule for the 1100w heater.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Same, and it's like 1% the size of my original sansaire.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Same. I was a little wary about buying a device that requires a smart phone to operate but, come on, when am I not going to have a smart phone in hand in the foreseeable future?

It's more powerful, it's tiny, it's quieter, and it's better constructed (my og anova had problems with the lower shroud getting loose and out of alignment with the impeller, especially after long/hot cooks).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So I finally bought a real immersion circulator when it was on sale.

What is the easiest way to cover a normal pot with that circulator inserted, to prevent excess evaporation? I have been using a normal lid for my ghetto setup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For cheap: Saran Wrap

For effort: custom cut a lid hole for your circulator, if you’re using a cambro or Rubbermaid container

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I bought the rubbermaid container and the $10 silicone lid, I had 0 noticeable evaporation after 24h of cooking

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I bought the rubbermaid container and the $10 silicone lid, I had 0 noticeable evaporation after 24h of cooking
I am not in the US. Those lids cost 30€, minimum.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The cheapest ping pong balls you can find

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Ultimate Mango posted:

Ping pong balls are great for insulation as well. I let a stock pot get up to 80c uncovered then poured a couple layers of ping pong balls over the top, the anova overshot by half a degree before it settled back down.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Ultimate Mango posted:

I thought this once. Then I bought 250 half-size ping pong balls with unmentioned holes in them. I did get a good per-unit price, but they all sank.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well, it should go without saying that they need to be regulation balls

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I think people really overstate how much evaporation occurs and go out of their way for ridiculous products to combat. Seriously, either just add water (a small amount!) or saran wrap.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I think people really overstate how much evaporation occurs and go out of their way for ridiculous products to combat. Seriously, either just add water (a small amount!) or saran wrap.

I felt this way too until I started doing cooks approaching ~200F. The point where it steamed up so much that I thought my Anova was dead was when I decided a lid was worth it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Yea, I did a batch of sweet potatoes and I had to wrap the top in foil as the 190 temp really caused a lot of liquid loss.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

You clearly haven't done a 36-48 hour cook, then.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I've done a 72 hour cook at a fairly high temp -- I just spent $7 on a lid when I bought my cambro and have never had any issues. If you don't have a lid, use plastic wrap. Ping pong balls are insane.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bum the Sad posted:

I'M DOING IT

Bum the Sad posted:

Here's a photo without it installed. It's actually quite lovely! It looks decent with the the overhang of the unit though. I think the wife was harassing the poo poo out of me by the time I started the right half.

Here’s what I did for my tub. Just dremeled out an Anova shape. Took me like 8 minutes.

Anyway I’ve done 72 hour cooks with zero water loss.

Lid was a $5 add on item from amazon.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 26, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Same, spent $20 on a tub and lid and haven't had to think about water levels since.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jan posted:

You clearly haven't done a 36-48 hour cook, then.

You might be in an ultra-low humidity environment? That would expedite evaporation quite a bit.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If you're having trouble finding good/large polycarbonate containers and lids that aren't price-gouging, I found some cheap ones here:

https://www.hotelrestaurantsupply.com/WNC-SP7100C.html
https://www.hotelrestaurantsupply.com/WNC-SP7108.html

They charge full price for shipping, but I was able to get two of these full-size containers and two lids for about $60. It was still way cheaper than Amazon.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

If you're having trouble finding good/large polycarbonate containers and lids that aren't price-gouging, I found some cheap ones here:

https://www.hotelrestaurantsupply.com/WNC-SP7100C.html
https://www.hotelrestaurantsupply.com/WNC-SP7108.html

They charge full price for shipping, but I was able to get two of these full-size containers and two lids for about $60. It was still way cheaper than Amazon.

Hey, thanks for the tip!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Totally Reasonable posted:

I thought this once. Then I bought 250 half-size ping pong balls with unmentioned holes in them. I did get a good per-unit price, but they all sank.

The thing to search for is “Practice Balls” related to ping pong. No holes, but cheap.

I also have lids and Saran, but I generally use ping pong practice balls, really easy to get stuff in and out and less moisture directed right at the electronic bits of the sous vide machines.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I did my turkey this year this way (whole turkey method). Came out very well, but the temp of 150 I think might have been a little high. I was afraid since my container was just barely big enough to accommodate the turkey (it was pressed up against the wall tight which made me fear for water circulation). No one died, so I'm marking that as a success.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

My buddy left his machine at my place last weekend and I've been eating like a king all week. Definitely going to buy one of these bad boys, I look forward to joining the cult.

Any recommendations for burgers as far as temp & time?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wouldn't cook a burger this way unless you're going for an almost raw patte type of texture

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Noslo posted:

My buddy left his machine at my place last weekend and I've been eating like a king all week. Definitely going to buy one of these bad boys, I look forward to joining the cult.

Any recommendations for burgers as far as temp & time?

1) Don't.

2) Follow Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-burgers-recipe.html

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Thanks for the resource, I will post pictures of my caveman burger when complete

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Sentient Data posted:

I wouldn't cook a burger this way unless you're going for an almost raw patte type of texture

I've had good luck with it for absolutely monster-sized burgers, but I'd never use it for any other kind of burger.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I keep taking sous vide food pictures but never really get around to posting them--it's so simple that I've become almost blasé about it. But yesterday we tried 48 short ribs for the first time and it was absolutely mind blowing so I'm going to break that habit:

:vince:

Ended up doing 48 hours at 56C (132F). Most guides were recommending 54C but since this was Costco blade tenderized short ribs, I found it too close to the sub-130F bar for my liking for such a long cook. Probably didn't matter but the results speak for themselves. Never had a cut of meat with quite this level of condensed beefy taste, and it was still just firm enough to need a steak knife while having a buttery mouthfeel. Definitely going to be doing this more often.

And while I'm at it, previous money shots:

Top sirloin at 54 (or 56, not sure) 2 hours.

Rack of lamb, 57C 2 hours.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, I decided to do the first really long sous-vide session with my new Anova.
The cheap offbrand ziplock bag started dissolving after around 20 hours. The bag itself seems tight, but the writing on the outside flaked off. Now my water and circulator are full of paint flake.
Really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

So, I decided to do the first really long sous-vide session with my new Anova.
The cheap offbrand ziplock bag started dissolving after around 20 hours. The bag itself seems tight, but the writing on the outside flaked off. Now my water and circulator are full of paint flake.
Really annoying.

Be glad yours didn't split and send rosemary and lamb juices through everything so that even after insane deep cleaning and countless more cooks you still wind up with a vaguely herbed game smell every time you sv