Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Twilight Zone Blurays are $42 + tax for Black Friday (Saturday?) on Amazon, if you're a fan of TV even remotely you need to hop on that poo poo because it's the loving Twilight Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Twilight Zone is probably the best show of the 60s. Not necessarily my outright favourite of the decade but still the best.

I feel like my favourites of each decade (obviously subject to change depending on my mood) are probably The Avengers (60s), The Rockford Files (70s), Miami Vice (80s), The Simpsons (90s), Hustle (00s) and Justified (10s).

That's not to say they're necessarily the best of each decade, they're just the ones I can think of that I most enjoy at the moment.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Patriot is so good. Probably the most successful blend of drama and comedy I've ever seen. A top-tier show for me. If you care about the plot being super perfect and intricate it's not for you, although the plot is mostly really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Twilight Zone is probably the best show of the 60s. Not necessarily my outright favourite of the decade but still the best.

I feel like my favourites of each decade (obviously subject to change depending on my mood) are probably The Avengers (60s), The Rockford Files (70s), Miami Vice (80s), The Simpsons (90s), Hustle (00s) and Justified (10s).

That's not to say they're necessarily the best of each decade, they're just the ones I can think of that I most enjoy at the moment.

As someone who watched a bunch of MEtv this week, Andy Griffith holds up as hell

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hustle owns. It's what I wanted the Ocean's films to be like, but then they weren't and I was tremendously disappointed. Chatty and ironic, but not smug like House Of Lies always was. Good stuff, good blend. Jamie Murray and Marc Warren were so cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay I'm getting a bit worried that nobody else is talking about The Little Drummer Girl

It's really loving good y'all

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I bought the season pass on iTunes but I haven’t watched it yet. I expect it will be great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

I bought the season pass on iTunes but I haven’t watched it yet. I expect it will be great.

Prepare for soul crushing depression

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think Park Chan Wook had a happy child hood

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

As someone who watched a bunch of MEtv this week, Andy Griffith holds up as hell

Yes but, and I say this without a trace of irony, the black and white seasons are the best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic man Ricky Jay has passed away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Yes but, and I say this without a trace of irony, the black and white seasons are the best.

Who thinks otherwise? Don Knotts left at the end of the fifth season, the last BW one.

One of the most impressive routines I've ever seen

https://youtu.be/UWvRorX0KhQ

I think his most prominent role was as the guy who ran the games for Cy Toliver (RIP Powers Boothe) in the Gem

zoux fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 25, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ricky Jay was so great and I'm legit sad

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

I think his most prominent role was as the guy who ran the games for Cy Toliver (RIP Powers Boothe) in the Gem

He'll always be the Amazing Maleeni to me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a Das Boot tv series you say? Well sign me the gently caress up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

There's a Das Boot tv series you say? Well sign me the gently caress up.

Is it a Beerfest spinoff?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Is it a Beerfest spinoff?

Du amerikanischer Kartoffelkopf!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Who thinks otherwise? Don Knotts left at the end of the fifth season, the last BW one.

Some of my dad's friends let the switch to color (generally, across all shows) tilt their impressions of shows in that era even more than the usual nostalgia, I guess it was their equivalent of kids being easily impressed by baysplosions or cinematic universes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hustle owns. It's what I wanted the Ocean's films to be like, but then they weren't and I was tremendously disappointed. Chatty and ironic, but not smug like House Of Lies always was. Good stuff, good blend. Jamie Murray and Marc Warren were so cool.

Indeed - it's got all these fun cons, some really slimy bad guys, very stylish production and above all a great cast. I know shows from the decade like Mad Men and The Sopranos and The Wire and The Shield are probably technically better but Hustle is just so much fun I can't help but like it better.

It's funny that Danny was meant to be the hot-headed young apprentice to the cool and collected Mickey when Marc Warren is actually a year older than Adrian Lester in real life, though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So what is Little Drummer Girl? Full on drama? drama/comedy? Does it have musical stuff or is that just my mind filling in gaps because of the title? All I know is it involves spy stuff apparently.

Man a few months ago I felt like I didn't have anything good to watch and now I'm mired in shows to watch. Frontier S3(I know a lot of you guys don't like it), Last Kingdom S3, Daredevil S3, Bodyguard, and definitely 2 or 3 more that I'm not remembering right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, still no good shows, then

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
dang, i guess i'm back to no shows to watch again. thanks esc!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I really wanted to like Little Drummer Girl but couldn't get past the first two episodes. Great cast and production team, it certainly looks great, but the pace just about put me to sleep. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So what is Little Drummer Girl? Full on drama? drama/comedy? Does it have musical stuff or is that just my mind filling in gaps because of the title? All I know is it involves spy stuff apparently.

Man a few months ago I felt like I didn't have anything good to watch and now I'm mired in shows to watch. Frontier S3(I know a lot of you guys don't like it), Last Kingdom S3, Daredevil S3, Bodyguard, and definitely 2 or 3 more that I'm not remembering right now.

Last Kingdom is very ~The poo poo~, just finished S3E7 last night and hoooooooooooooooo boy! I've played enough CK2 to know you don't let that guy live...I'm bummed it's almost over.

And yeah, when we were popping that on the night before, Netflix is like :smug: "oh yeah, here's Frontier Season 3, too." My cup runneth over. :woop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's a soul crushing spy drama about a civilian who gets recruited to infiltrate a Palestinian terror cell

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sirotan posted:

I really wanted to like Little Drummer Girl but couldn't get past the first two episodes. Great cast and production team, it certainly looks great, but the pace just about put me to sleep. :shrug:

Try to stay with it. The first two episodes are pretty tame set up but after that it gets really, really loving good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whoever is ripping little drummer girl from amazon is only doing the UK airings even though the entire thing aired in the US between episodes 4 and 5 so there’s still two more eps before I can download it all and binge it edit OF COURSE I AM TALKING LEGALLY AND DEFINITELY NOT ABOUT FILEZ

I’m looking forward to it though

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 25, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Season 3 of Travelers drops on Netflix on December 16th.

Also, season one of Happy! hits December 6th which I recommend for the sheer craziness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bull3964 posted:

I'm kinda low key pumped for this show

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm super pumped. Time travel shows are my jam.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should just admit they are in Canada

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Continuum holds the crown for Most Canadian Time Travel Show Ever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Room 104 has seriously been amazing this season. I wasn’t sure if I was going to watch because I wasn’t that bothered about season 1 but these eps are weirder, more ambitious, and just all-round better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

E6 of Hill House is gonna be on a lot of end-of-year best episode lists

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

bull3964 posted:

I wasn't fond of the season 2 ending, but I am sure it will be good.

Mu Zeta posted:

I am so happy to be european, I have no idea what American cities are supposed to look like, or whether a show is shot in Canada.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

E6 of Hill House is gonna be on a lot of end-of-year best episode lists

That episode was crazy good. Flanagan made a big tweet thread about how it all came together: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/11/04/how-the-haunting-of-hill-house-pulled-off-that-insane-single-take-shot

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oasx posted:

I am so happy to be european, I have no idea what American cities are supposed to look like, or whether a show is shot in Canada.

What I watch out for is the accents. if the majority of the cast say "sorry" in that funny Canadian way then it's Canadian. Also if I can't tell which city it is then it's likely Vancouver. That place is like everything and nothing all at once.

Also it's a given if you see Roger Cross or a bunch of people from battlestar galactica.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oasx posted:

They're laid out about as poorly but everyone's more polite

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So catch me up a bit on The Last Kingdom. Wondering if it's worth diving in to 3 seasons of another show when I've got so much on the backburner anyway.

How does it stack up against the likes of Vikings, Black Sails and Spartacus in terms of pace, story, acting, production values, tone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Also, season one of Happy! hits December 6th which I recommend for the sheer craziness.

Fuuuuck yes I haven’t seen it yet so this made my day.