Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

zer0spunk posted:

I'm so buying the non funko version of this

I don't really care either way, I just want what ever is cheapest. A thing that is both funny and sad is that there are tons of bad reviews of the box set on various websites. I thought maybe it was a half assed transfer or something (blu-ray.com gives it a four out of five). Turns out it's just all kinds of people whining about the packaging, the funko figures, and/or the digital downloads. Not a single person I saw giving this a low rating said anything about the actual loving episodes on the blu-ray discs and from the sounds of it didn't even watch them. Why do these people even bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I don't really care either way, I just want what ever is cheapest. A thing that is both funny and sad is that there are tons of bad reviews of the box set on various websites. I thought maybe it was a half assed transfer or something (blu-ray.com gives it a four out of five). Turns out it's just all kinds of people whining about the packaging, the funko figures, and/or the digital downloads. Not a single person I saw giving this a low rating said anything about the actual loving episodes on the blu-ray discs and from the sounds of it didn't even watch them. Why do these people even bother?

People really think that their opinion matters

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
That's sad. I'm just going to make isos of all the discs as soon as I get it, toss that on my media server so I don't have to change discs, and then put it on a shelf and never touch it again. I want the un-deluxe version delivered inside a paper sack with sharpie titles, when will companies cater to me! /s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda like that the Mandy Blu Ray has two covers. I prefer the one that was on the inside. More companies should take a cue from Shout factory when it comes to color.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

zer0spunk posted:

That's sad. I'm just going to make isos of all the discs as soon as I get it, toss that on my media server so I don't have to change discs, and then put it on a shelf and never touch it again. I want the un-deluxe version delivered inside a paper sack with sharpie titles, when will companies cater to me! /s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJXodU1Jv1E

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've been keeping track of the remaining inventory of Vinegar Syndrome's Body Melt LE (only 2,000 made) hoping the price would drop, but when the count hit 150 I just couldn't take it anymore and pulled the trigger.

And with that I'm officially done buying movies for the year. My wife is about to murder me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've opted not to really binge buy this year. So far, just some Indicator UK stuff (Age of Consent, The Last Detail, The Passenger, The Wild One, and The Front) and just now the rest of Vinegar Syndrome's soon-to-be-OOP Etiquette Pictures line. I had already bought Catch My Soul in a previous sale, but decided to pick up The American Dreamer, Some Call it Loving, and Hangs Upon Nothing (all :10bux: each) plus a logo lapel pin.

By the way, Amazon has the complete Twilight Zone set for just $42:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Twilight...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I recently got it from Best Buy for a then-lowest $65. Absolutely perfect quality - they even include both filtered and unfiltered audio, in addition to commentaries and music-only tracks.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 24, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Do you happen to know how long that price stays good for the Twilight Zone set?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Any big sales that contain Nicolas Roeg blurays?
Mostly looking for Eureka, Bad Timing and Insignificance. RIP.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Do you happen to know how long that price stays good for the Twilight Zone set?

It's part of a Saturday-only deal on B&N and Amazon is just price matching. In fact, if you order from B&N online and add their black friday coupon, it's a little cheaper (though, shipping will be added if you're not a member).

Teenage Fansub posted:

Any big sales that contain Nicolas Roeg blurays?
Mostly looking for Eureka, Bad Timing and Insignificance. RIP.

Criterion's Blu-rays of Walkabout, Don't Look Now, and Insignificance are all 50%-off (60% if you're a member) from Barnes & Noble right now. They also released Bad Timing on DVD.

You're probably best off importing Eureka and Bad Timing from the UK if you're region unlocked. It also seems the UK got a better quality version of The Man Who Fell to Earth, which might be region free.

Also, Warner Archive's Performance is only $18 on Amazon (older transfer, but still decent quality).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've been keeping track of the remaining inventory of Vinegar Syndrome's Body Melt LE (only 2,000 made) hoping the price would drop, but when the count hit 150 I just couldn't take it anymore and pulled the trigger.

And with that I'm officially done buying movies for the year. My wife is about to murder me.

Body Melt owns. You should save up for the half way in 6 months (and the full year next year)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I know a local theater will do a Roeg tribute night next week, which will probably just be the famous films (great movies, but nothing I haven't seen a couple of times.)
I've rented The Witches on iTunes, and found a couple of oddballs on Youtube (Castaway and Full Body Massage(?!))

It's gonna be a fun time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has some good deals on 4K - Deadpool/Deadpool 2 double feature for $22 and The Dark Crystal for $14, so I got both.

Also found out Arbelos (formerly Cinelicious) had a 50% off sale only yesterday. Kind of bummed I didn't take advantage of it to get Funeral Parade of Roses, Belladonna of Sadness, and The Last Movie for a good price. :(

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 25, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

By the way, Amazon has the complete Twilight Zone set for just $42:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Twilight...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I recently got it from Best Buy for a then-lowest $65. Absolutely perfect quality - they even include both filtered and unfiltered audio, in addition to commentaries and music-only tracks.

The best special feature in this set is the four lectures from Rod Serling about four episodes from Season 1. They were recorded at some college in the 70s and he speaks very frankly about the episodes. And they let you listen to them as an audio track on the episodes, so it's essentially like getting four commentaries from Serling himself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone is trying to sell their collection of almost 20,000 movies on eBay for a million dollars:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-036-Mov...BiZJe1QT-fs0Zu4

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone is trying to sell their collection of almost 20,000 movies on eBay for a million dollars:

Pfft, no Knocked Up on HD-DVD? :rolleyes: No thank you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I wonder how much of it is anything worth owning versus filler junk and if the actual value of the collection is anywhere near a million dollars. I suppose it could be but I doubt it.

edit: I just scrolled through a bit and it if what I saw is any indication it's 90% garbage. This loving guy has four copies of Anchor Man 2.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 25, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That guy has been trying to sell his collection for years. He has a video of his collection on youtube and it's the saddest thing because he obviously buys out of compulsion. He regularly updates the listing with new purchases, it's bizarre.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

That guy has been trying to sell his collection for years. He has a video of his collection on youtube and it's the saddest thing because he obviously buys out of compulsion. He regularly updates the listing with new purchases, it's bizarre.

That's kind of what I mean. There's no particular theme or indication of personal taste there, it just looks like he walks into Target or Best Buy and picks up every single new release they have sitting on the shelf. The majority of movies I saw on there are just whatever crap came out in the last ten years.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What he apparently doesn't grasp is that anyone who has $1M to spend on movies already has an enormous collection of movies. There's literally zero market for this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

What he apparently doesn't grasp is that anyone who has $1M to spend on movies already has an enormous collection of movies. There's literally zero market for this.

And probably something that resembles personal taste.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I did the math and it’s about $52 per title. That’s a terrible deal. The real value is probably around $250,000 at most.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
And the owning multiple copies of the same thing factor isn't because of double dipping when the upgrades come out. On day one, he bought BR2049 on DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-Ray Steelbook, Blu-ray3D, and 4K. He's the blu-ray.com forums incarnate.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Huh, Jurassic Park 2 came out on Laserdisc

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have around 650 actual releases in my collection counting stuff I'm trying to get rid of and stuff on order. As of right now, I have about 200 titles in my wishlist. So, if I went out and bought every single thing I'd remotely want to own - I'd still have under 1000 titles. Many of those would be redundant (i.e. the 4Ks of Close Encounters and Bridge on the River Kwai would replace my Blu-rays). Padding out to 1100-1200 would require getting into laserdisc and possibly even VHS or 16mm.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

david_a posted:

Huh, Jurassic Park 2 came out on Laserdisc

The Matrix did too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

The Matrix did too.

Something about that seems incredibly appropriate.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DVD only really took over with the PS2 in 2000, so I don't think those are too surprising.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 25, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

I feel like this is someone bragging rather than trying to sell. For example, 2001 4k came out a month ago. So, he's not looking to get rid of his collection, since he keeps adding to it.

And honestly, if he was trying to move it, he'd probably focus more on things that could potentially sell, like the Criterion Collection collection he has. It's just a bizarre thing all around.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Egbert Souse posted:

I am interested in how he plans on shipping this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Twin Cinema posted:

I am interested in how he plans on shipping this.

It's not something he'll ever have to worry about.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's not something he'll ever have to worry about.

I am asking this here because I have a million dollars and looking to spend it. I want to own two copies of each Hangover film.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
This is very handy for all those times when you need four copies of Cars 2.

He does have Dawn of the Dead '78 on blu though, so a million dollars for this collection is somewhat justified.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I bought every movie I liked enough to own it I probably wouldn't get past 1,500. Anyone with a collection that size has a lot of poo poo just to have it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
If you watched 2 movies per day it'd take over 26 years to finish all of them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Casimir Radon posted:

If I bought every movie I liked enough to own it I probably wouldn't get past 1,500. Anyone with a collection that size has a lot of poo poo just to have it.

The thing is this collection is, for all intents and purposes, worthless.

Think about it - who is going to purchase all these movies? Even if there were 1000 titles you really wanted and would be willing to spend 1,000,000 on, that means you'd be getting so much junk that you'd have to get rid of that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

The thing is this collection is, for all intents and purposes, worthless.

Think about it - who is going to purchase all these movies? Even if there were 1000 titles you really wanted and would be willing to spend 1,000,000 on, that means you'd be getting so much junk that you'd have to get rid of that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Even if you bought all the rare or out of print titles he might have at the worst prices on ebay you'd still be considerably under a million dollars. And it's not like you can't pick up poo poo like Abduction starring Taylor Lautner for like three dollars. You'd probably have a better outcome just going to flea markets and buying out entire lots from handful of random booths.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Universal's Marx Brother Silver Screen Collection for only $14.99 - for the next few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJKAKS/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup all from new 4K restorations. While the quality isn't perfect because the surviving elements were in rough shape, they blow away all previous editions. Plus, Animal Crackers is the original 1930 cut instead of the re-release version, so it has some good pre-code bits.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has Universal's Marx Brother Silver Screen Collection for only $14.99 - for the next few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJKAKS/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup all from new 4K restorations. While the quality isn't perfect because the surviving elements were in rough shape, they blow away all previous editions. Plus, Animal Crackers is the original 1930 cut instead of the re-release version, so it has some good pre-code bits.

This is a very good set and a great deal.

Has there been any updates on Once Upon A Time In America on blu ray? I vaguely remember some news about the possible 4.5 hour cut making it/being restored, but that was yeeeears ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

This is a very good set and a great deal.

Has there been any updates on Once Upon A Time In America on blu ray? I vaguely remember some news about the possible 4.5 hour cut making it/being restored, but that was yeeeears ago.

There's a cheap Blu-ray from Fox:
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Ti...time+in+america

It has the 229 min "international" cut on one disc (same as Warner's disc) and then newer 251 min cut on the other. However, all the extra footage came from workprint trims, so the picture quality for those parts is terrible. They also subdued the color on the bulk of the film compared to the earlier disc. The 251 min cut is from a 4K master while the other is 2K. Both have DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=105558&position=12

It's clear they did what they could, but it would have made far more sense to just do a 4K remaster of the 3 1/2 hr cut and include the deleted scenes as an extra.