Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

get vmware player and use that instead. at worst you have to convert the vdi or vhd or whatever to vmware's format

vmware player and vmware workstation are dead

they laid off all the devs and opened a maintenance office in bangalore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

brand engager posted:

Why does it even matter which vm thing I'm using? This isn't some long-term setup where extra janitoring to have the Correct Yospos Tooling can pay off in any way. Finals are the first week of december, and the whole thing is getting torn down.

it just sucks to live with

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

brand engager posted:

Why does it even matter which vm thing I'm using? This isn't some long-term setup where extra janitoring to have the Correct Yospos Tooling can pay off in any way. Finals are the first week of december, and the whole thing is getting torn down.

its about like being able to use the fuckin thing without it hanging

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vmware player and vmware workstation are dead

they laid off all the devs and opened a maintenance office in bangalore

still better than virtualbox

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Never had an issue with virtualbox on debian :confused: Maybe you're just doing it wrong. I've built os/2 warp and gentoo in it with zero issues. I had more trouble with qemu-nbd than virtualbox, in fact.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the only real problem with virtualbox is that it's impossible to get the stench of Oracle out of it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

what's the correct opinion to have on Vagrant? it's basically a command line tool for booting up VMs so you would still be using virtualbox or some other platform, but i have found it to be much more convenient (for setup-teardown of throwaway environments) than messing with virtualbox on its own

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Penisface posted:

what's the correct opinion to have on Vagrant? it's basically a command line tool for booting up VMs so you would still be using virtualbox or some other platform, but i have found it to be much more convenient (for setup-teardown of throwaway environments) than messing with virtualbox on its own

vagrant is cool, often used for dev tooling and the like

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Modern LG TVs all run webOS, previous ones run something called NetScreen.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Penisface posted:

vagrant 2.x is a ground-up rewrite by people who actually know what they are doing

unfortunately virtualbox is still the only mature / 100% working backend. i really hope hyperV and kvm / libvirt become first-class citizens to break the vbox dependency.

now that the vagrant code itself is sane, there is potential to fix the vagrant ecosystem

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Lol

simble
May 11, 2004

as an lg tv haver, webos on the tv is actually good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

simble posted:

as an lg tv haver, webos on the tv is actually good

As a very recent member of this club, :agreed:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

yes, but what are you doing with webos?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I ported some software to webOS, nothing too amazing. All the different VMs are for the different emulators from LG for different panel sizes, particularly the ultra-wide varieties of 58:9, etc.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

the downside of using any hashicorp tech like vagrant is that you will one day run into a fan that tries selling you on the entire ecosystem as they show you the hashicorp logo tattooed on the small of their back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why vm.overcommit_ratio defaults to 50

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
sounds like the whole thing is hosed

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
also sounds like aleksey and i will have to go through each individual setting and then nurse naughtliss back to a point where it could begin to figure out how to uninstall the virus

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

why vm.overcommit_ratio defaults to 50

so you have the other 50 for page cache? hardly matters what the original reason was. the reason it stays there is that no one can propose a kernel change that small without some high status individual deciding that everything will be destroyed if the change is made

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
again, naughtiliss seems to have trouble castrating itself with regards to its decisionmaking

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

so you have the other 50 for page cache? hardly matters what the original reason was. the reason it stays there is that no one can propose a kernel change that small without some high status individual deciding that everything will be destroyed if the change is made

hm. i just wonder how to manage one server installation i oversee - its suggested to have the overcommit mode to 2, so it is guided by the overcommit ratio, but then with 50 im getting hard memory allocation/oom failures since the machine hosts moderately large db cluster and a few hungry jvm server apps concurrently - with the plot twist being that poo poo rarely ever actually uses that much ram, so it feels like i arbitrarily halve the ram system makes available to applications

i probably have too simplistic view of how ram is actually used :eng99:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fork is a design flaw OP

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hm. i just wonder how to manage one server installation i oversee - its suggested to have the overcommit mode to 2, so it is guided by the overcommit ratio, but then with 50 im getting hard memory allocation/oom failures since the machine hosts moderately large db cluster and a few hungry jvm server apps concurrently - with the plot twist being that poo poo rarely ever actually uses that much ram, so it feels like i arbitrarily halve the ram system makes available to applications

i probably have too simplistic view of how ram is actually used :eng99:

iirc commit limit controls anonymous mappings and maybe locked pages, file-backed mappings having somewhere to go if the kernel needs to evict pages. basically vm.overcommit_ratio = 50 means up to half the system ram is allowed to be used for app heaps and other userspace stuff like buffer pools. the other 50 is for everything else: the kernel and page cache mainly. depending on your DB having a lot of ram available to the page cache is either absolutely vital or absolutely useless

iow search your feelings for the correct value of vm.overcommit_ratio

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

As a very recent member of this club, :agreed:

just got a lg tv too, the settings menu allows me to set settings and the tv shows pictures over hdmi good

not using any smartness in the tv, not connected to internet at all, so im perfectly happy with webos

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The smartness is good, op.

I got rid of my Chromecast, dtv tuner box and media player box because of it.

Just don't accept the Terms & Conditions for voice control imo.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

i'm not putting a unix box i don't control onto my home network

chromecast and smart tv and any other nonsense can go gently caress itself

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

until it stops getting updates a year or two from now

or you want to use a service that just doesn't have a webos version. ios/tvos, android and roku support is generally universal, webos and tizen not so much

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in extreme agreement with mr. bsd here, smart tvs is a cancer that needs to go away

it's a pity it'll never happen, although i hope some producer will find that there is a market for it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i still have a pioneer plasma from 2006 that owns owns owns, and i will never get rid of it as long as it is repairable. i really don't look forward to the day when it gives up the ghost. as far as i know it'll be impossible to find a successor that is not cancer ridden.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

it's a pity it'll never happen, although i hope some producer will find that there is a market for it

there's a huge market for it -- commercial/industrial panels

unfortunately they cost around 2x as much as a regular tv, so there's that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

i still have a pioneer plasma from 2006 that owns owns owns, and i will never get rid of it as long as it is repairable. i really don't look forward to the day when it gives up the ghost. as far as i know it'll be impossible to find a successor that is not cancer ridden.

modern LCDs can exceed the image quality of the top plasma displays -- comparable black levels, better color, brighter whites

i didn't believe it until i saw it for myself

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what kind of phone do you use?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

what kind of phone do you use?

i use an iphone, but

a.) it does not live on my home network
b.) i am reasonably satisfied with Apple's security story

$BOX_SHIPPER selling whatever garbage android device is a whole 'nother kettle of fish

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

modern LCDs can exceed the image quality of the top plasma displays -- comparable black levels, better color, brighter whites

i didn't believe it until i saw it for myself

yeah, i know. i just think the picture is still more than good enough, and it hasn't got any smart features. my stance is mostly because of the latter

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

in extreme agreement with mr. bsd here, smart tvs is a cancer that needs to go away

much like every other appliance that manufacturers try and make "smart", it allows for planned obsolescence periods of only a few years instead of over a decade. naturally they would rather you buy a new display every few years after they discontinue updates vs keeping it for 12 years and replacing it once it breaks because it isn't worth fixing.

i would personally rather just have a large monitor now instead of a tv, especially since the tuner in any tv that you can purchase in the us will be obsolete by 2025 since broadcasters will be allowed to discontinue atsc 1.0 broadcasts in favor of atsc 3.0

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

i would personally rather just have a large monitor now instead of a tv, especially since the tuner in any tv that you can purchase in the us will be obsolete by 2025 since broadcasters will be allowed to discontinue atsc 1.0 broadcasts in favor of atsc 3.0

if you have a smart tv it will be compatible with atsc 3.0 via firmware update. the new codecs are already commonly used on streaming services, and the actual tuner bits / encapsulation should be the same

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the only "smart" tv is one that isn't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

yeah, i know. i just think the picture is still more than good enough, and it hasn't got any smart features. my stance is mostly because of the latter

it's pretty easy to make a smart tv into a dumb tv

just don't plug it into the network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
apple tv 4k + old wd tv live! (plus version maybe, idk) is a great combo, apple tv for streaming services and wd tv for playing video files off a NFS share