Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

As someone admittedly without much investment in Harry Potter, it seems like part of the problem is how she handles it. Instead of just admitting that she was a novice author who failed to make her books diverse, she wants to pretend that it was always secretly diverse and she was woke all along. Maybe if she had admitted that she didn't do a great job, she might have actually listened to people and FB 2 wouldn't have been a weird monkey's paw wish.

Yeah, I gotta be honest, none of this stuff occurred to me when the books were coming out and I was reading them so at best I got 'Oh I heard JK Rowling said this' about things so my impression- and the story I heard of how she made them- was that she was homeless, made Harry Potter 1 and then got pretty rich from it. So the thought of 'drat I should've done that, or shoot that would've been great in the book' was always the impression of her I had since I hadn't really seen anything she'd said about this stuff since I was like, ten when Goblet of Fire was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

As someone admittedly without much investment in Harry Potter, it seems like part of the problem is how she handles it. Instead of just admitting that she was a novice author who failed to make her books diverse, she wants to pretend that it was always secretly diverse and she was woke all along. Maybe if she had admitted that she didn't do a great job, she might have actually listened to people and FB 2 wouldn't have been a weird monkey's paw wish.

She likes to pull george lucas type poo poo alot. she just pretends every story add on or retcon or added diversity was secretly always the plan.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I gotta be honest, none of this stuff occurred to me when the books were coming out and I was reading them so at best I got 'Oh I heard JK Rowling said this' about things so my impression- and the story I heard of how she made them- was that she was homeless, made Harry Potter 1 and then got pretty rich from it. So the thought of 'drat I should've done that, or shoot that would've been great in the book' was always the impression of her I had since I hadn't really seen anything she'd said about this stuff since I was like, ten when Goblet of Fire was out.

my assumption was she got lucky with the first book and planned the first four and maybe a few plot points but the rest she just kinda winged it.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

like all neoliberals she just puts on a face of being woke to hide the fact that she's actually a really poo poo person with really poo poo beliefs

i don't think she is evil at least on a personal level. her politics are crappy but i think she is just kinda a weird mom who got lucky with her magical wizard stories and now thinks she is smart in all areas because she is rich. i feel like if one of my aunts got rich, it be the same way.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, charitably I'd say most of her problems are the same as Quidditch not making a lot of sense. It was a mistake she made at the beginning when she was making normal beginner's mistakes and by the time it came up it was too late to change too much, unless you just wanted to do a bunch of sweeping retcons. But, yeah she's going the Lucas route.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lucas is at least honest enough to admit that he changes things due to dissatisfaction with how they were originally released. Sure, he does have the "I made up Midichlorians all along back in 1974" asspulls, but his reasoning to do the Special Editions came as a result of concessions he'd made when originally filming.

Rowling doesn't do that. She just says "it was always this way you just read it wrong."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

LunarShadow posted:

I mean nothing in her books really indicated she was an rear end in a top hat TERF, so there was some surprise.

TBH a lot of people of around that generation are really, really transphobic. Like, the whole "widespread acceptance of transfolks" thing is suuuuper recent, and most people of older generations are just plain used to the horrible bullshit they grew up around, where transwomen were a hilarious joke about men in dresses, if they existed at all (and transmen didn't exist, period). Even if a person's interested in improving themself and learning to treat transfolks like they ought to, they're going to gently caress up all over the place along the way.

(Nothing about Rowling has led me to think that she's trying to improve her treatment of transpeople; I'm just speaking generally.)

It's hard to overstate how profoundly culture has changed WRT gay and trans people in an astonishingly short period of time.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 26, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Quidditch doesn't make sense because she wanted to annoy a sports-mad ex-boyfriend. It also fits perfectly with the arcane nonsensical rules that govern the rest of the wizarding world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Puppy Time posted:

It's hard to overstate how profoundly culture has changed WRT gay and trans people in an astonishingly short period of time.
A drastic change that was, paradoxically, 150 years in the making.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

I dunno man, people were saying Angry Joe was white and I think that is factually incorrect.

I don't even know how people come to that one, the guy's name is Joe Vargas and he's not exactly been quiet on hispanic people, himself included, being mistreated.

Oh god okay, I think I remember that now.
VVVVVVV

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 26, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Yardbomb posted:

I don't even know how people come to that one, the guy's name is Joe Vargas and he's not exactly been quiet on hispanic people being mistreated.

Because people listen to him on video game youtube that means he passes as white
This was literally their argument, that they get to assign him his ethnicity based on his youtubery, even when told the story about getting arrested at the airport.
It was some real dumb poo poo.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Haha and the fuckin airport thing happened like a week or two prior to that tweet as well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lucas is at least honest enough to admit that he changes things due to dissatisfaction with how they were originally released. Sure, he does have the "I made up Midichlorians all along back in 1974" asspulls, but his reasoning to do the Special Editions came as a result of concessions he'd made when originally filming.

Rowling doesn't do that. She just says "it was always this way you just read it wrong."

on star wars. i have never hated the special editions. mostly because i grew up with them and most of the changes arn't that egregious(outside doing the NOOOOO in ROTJ) anyway. i see your point.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Because people listen to him on video game youtube that means he passes as white
This was literally their argument, that they get to assign him his ethnicity based on his youtubery, even when told the story about getting arrested at the airport.

i have never heard of that poo poo until now. thats loving terrible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KayTee posted:

Lindsey has been re-uploading her Nostalgia Chick videos due to fan demand and recently the Smurfette Principle popped up which I think is important to acknowledge as AFAIK it's the first one where she begins to pivot towards 'proper' textual analogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTo8-gRHHLA

So:

These videos are nostalgic now. Huh.

Speaking of old Nostalgia Chick videos, Lindsay should sue over this blatant plagiarism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeoLiTirRp4

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

I don't even know how people come to that one, the guy's name is Joe Vargas and he's not exactly been quiet on hispanic people, himself included, being mistreated.

Oh god okay, I think I remember that now.
VVVVVVV

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It came up in the thread a few months ago because of something from Inneuedo Studios:

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031906752109920256
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031908048573480960

Again, I'm pretty sure that Joe is Puerto Rican.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently the UK press in particular is really garbage wrt whipping up trans panic.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If you're not a regular viewer of Angry Joe, I think it's easy to assume he's white- he's light skinned and has features that're ambiguous enough that they could be on a white person. If you only know him by his brand name and never paid any attention otherwise, it's kind of impossible to guess his ancestry. (Because race is completely arbitrary bullshit with ever-shifting definitions.)

Those who watch him have no excuse, of course, and it's definitely the sort of thing you should correct if you gently caress it up because seriously

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Motto posted:

Apparently the UK press in particular is really garbage wrt whipping up trans panic.

they're all trash, the loving NYT just ran a big op ed from some poor lady who clearly has issues deeper than gender identity saying 'my new vagina won't make me happy' as a cudgel to further gatekeep trans people and make it harder to get what they need.

The UK is most visible on this with their news shows being so panel driven so they tend to 'both sides' most issues...including 'do trans people have the right to basic dignity and respect' I guess.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thompsons posted:

Haha and the fuckin airport thing happened like a week or two prior to that tweet as well

Oh yeah I remember that now. God the US is poo poo.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

they're all trash, the loving NYT just ran a big op ed from some poor lady who clearly has issues deeper than gender identity saying 'my new vagina won't make me happy' as a cudgel to further gatekeep trans people and make it harder to get what they need.

The UK is most visible on this with their news shows being so panel driven so they tend to 'both sides' most issues...including 'do trans people have the right to basic dignity and respect' I guess.

One plus point is that here in the UK, we are winning. Even if there can be a fair amount of TERFy poo poo in the media, public support is pretty firmly in favour of trans people. As is the government, pretty much - for all of their many, many faults, the current Tory government have been largely supportive of trans people, we've had cabinet ministers and even Theresa May herself say that trans women are women, trans men are men. In fact, and this is one of those kinda awkward things...really, there's a fairly worrying TERF-y influence in the Labour opposition than there is in the sitting Tory government. Not from Corbyn or the shadow cabinet, but there's quite a bit in the rank and file, and they're a bit more active and influential in the media than, y'know, any old sot in the Tories who thinks that sodomy should still be illegal.

(That said...y'know, such things can be fixed, and should absolutely not be used as an excuse to vote Tory. Never vote Tory. NEVER! NO SURRENDER! [/ianpaisley])

--

Is it just me who really doesn't much like what I've seen from Innuendo Studios? Perhaps I've not seen much and there's been a lot of tweets like that one, but I get an inkling of him feeling rather superior to the YouTube platform and other people on it which honestly I don't care for at all, and it doesn't make me want to engage with his work. You're on a sticky wicket when you're pontificating on a subject like that one and you can't even get the ethnicity of the people you're talking about right. Was he ever corrected?

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 26, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/1066770860164435969
https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/1066771849181347841

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/25/debate-ends-when-we-label-views-we-disagree-with-us-hatred

Kim Justice posted:

Is it just me who really doesn't much like what I've seen from Innuendo Studios? Perhaps I've not seen much and there's been a lot of tweets like that one, but I get an inkling of him feeling rather superior to the YouTube platform and other people on it which honestly I don't care for at all, and it doesn't make me want to engage with his work. You're on a sticky wicket when you're pontificating on a subject like that one and you can't even get the ethnicity of the people you're talking about right. Was he ever corrected?

I skimmed through the replies of those tweets, but I didn't see him make a correction. I did a search for Joe on his feed, and found this exchange:

https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031914981883822082
https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031915632982417408
https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031919620695961602
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031924156017860608
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031924922967310336

I've only watched a couple of things from Inneundo Studios; his video on Bastion (which I don't remember much of), and his defense video of Phil Fish, which I think ironically preceded Fish's infamous departure from game development.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 26, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

on star wars. i have never hated the special editions. mostly because i grew up with them and most of the changes arn't that egregious(outside doing the NOOOOO in ROTJ) anyway. i see your point.

the first two films have ok special editions aside from DINOSAUR rear end in the mos eisley scene. rotj's special edition is far more egregious. jedi rocks is one of the worst things in all of star wars.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

stuff I should have quoted

The Guardian, alas, is about as progressive as a broken gas lamp. To be honest, we don't really have all that much of a left-wing press here, at least not where newspapers are concerned...I mean there's the Morning Star if you're a loving commie I guess. But the papers "on the left" like the Guardian/Observer and the i/Independent are really more liberal, even centrist at times papers so they kinda both sides a lot. The most visible paper that's the most left-wing is probably the Mirror, I guess, and that's a tabloid.

That exchange there leads me to feel more correct in my thinking. No matter what you think of his content Joe has a whole wide range of stuff, works his absolute arse off and is by all accounts a total stand-up guy. "But he has angry in his name!"...gently caress's sake. Y'know, despite what the name might tell you, it isn't actually always sunny in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

From what I see of Innuendo Studio's channel he seems to do good work like a multi part analysis of Fury Road and exploring the Alt Right Playbook. Maybe he's just being a stubborn idiot in his hot take of Angry Joe and his work.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 26, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wilco could you stop quoting the twitters of like the worst sort of people? It's straining plausible deniability that you're not one of them and just so happen to have a bunch of tweets from ggers on hand. The Guardian isn't progressive and anyone who says it is while at the same time implicitly being a Trump supporter is not someone you should be following.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Annointed posted:

From what I see of Innuendo Studio's channel he seems to do good work like a multi part analysis of Fury Road and exploring the Alt Right Playbook. Maybe he's just being a stubborn idiot in his hot take of Angry Joe and his work.

his name is "Angry Joe"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ElNarez posted:

his name is "Angry Joe"

But I spelled it right both in your quote and my og post? Did I do something wrong?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ElNarez is just reinforcing the stubborn idiot's take that the defining characteristic of Joe's channel is Angry Man despite the fact that's not actually his brand anymore just the name. Kind of like how Coca-Cola must still contain Coca and Kola because it's in the name.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Innuendo studios always struck me as a bit of a stuck up prick. I dont mind his alt-right vids, but anything else just gets an eyeroll from me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

It came up in the thread a few months ago because of something from Inneuedo Studios:

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031906752109920256
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031908048573480960

Again, I'm pretty sure that Joe is Puerto Rican.

How the hell is Plinkett condescending?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

super sweet best pal posted:

How the hell is Plinkett condescending?

how the hell is plinkett not condescending?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

ElNarez is just reinforcing the stubborn idiot's take that the defining characteristic of Joe's channel is Angry Man despite the fact that's not actually his brand anymore just the name. Kind of like how Coca-Cola must still contain Coca and Kola because it's in the name.

Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying it. Speaking of while I love it when he rips into a really bad videogame like metal gear survive I often prefer his reviews where’s he’s happy with the product and is basically a goofy guy doing what he likes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Puppy Time posted:

TBH a lot of people of around that generation are really, really transphobic. Like, the whole "widespread acceptance of transfolks" thing is suuuuper recent, and most people of older generations are just plain used to the horrible bullshit they grew up around, where transwomen were a hilarious joke about men in dresses, if they existed at all (and transmen didn't exist, period). Even if a person's interested in improving themself and learning to treat transfolks like they ought to, they're going to gently caress up all over the place along the way.

(Nothing about Rowling has led me to think that she's trying to improve her treatment of transpeople; I'm just speaking generally.)

I've been reading let's plays from ten years ago on this forum recently and there have been more than a few uses of the t-word in those old threads.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kim Justice posted:

The Guardian, alas, is about as progressive as a broken gas lamp. To be honest, we don't really have all that much of a left-wing press here, at least not where newspapers are concerned...I mean there's the Morning Star if you're a loving commie I guess. But the papers "on the left" like the Guardian/Observer and the i/Independent are really more liberal, even centrist at times papers so they kinda both sides a lot. The most visible paper that's the most left-wing is probably the Mirror, I guess, and that's a tabloid.

That exchange there leads me to feel more correct in my thinking. No matter what you think of his content Joe has a whole wide range of stuff, works his absolute arse off and is by all accounts a total stand-up guy. "But he has angry in his name!"...gently caress's sake. Y'know, despite what the name might tell you, it isn't actually always sunny in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

It being sunny is still the brand though.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Solitair posted:

I've been reading let's plays from ten years ago on this forum recently and there have been more than a few uses of the t-word in those old threads.

Yeah the casual transphobia in some of the older let’s plays kind of bummed me out. “Oh wow these guys are kind of funny *cue trans slur from them*” Like it just happens and they move on while I’m just dumbfounded.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You can find that stuff as late as 3-4 years ago. None of it now though, at least in LP anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wilco could you stop quoting the twitters of like the worst sort of people? It's straining plausible deniability that you're not one of them and just so happen to have a bunch of tweets from ggers on hand. The Guardian isn't progressive and anyone who says it is while at the same time implicitly being a Trump supporter is not someone you should be following.

Yeah I kept thinking about asking about that, cause in what world are "progressives" at all sad by a loving TERF getting canned and the rear end kissing for gab too.

I was just reading that thread and the replies over and over like "Wait, what??? :thunk:"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"hi I'm Horny Bob"

"No guys he's not horny all the time, he does other things"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

"hi I'm Horny Bob"

"No guys he's not horny all the time, he does other things"

No one can be horny all the time (drat refractory).

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Thing is though, even if you go to that angle, "angry" and "condescending" aren't usually things that even really go together. Normally the "condescending" type is more calm, smug, has lots of asides and one-liners...like, since when has Joe ever been condescending anyway? He doesn't fit in the first place, and frankly I don't think Innuendo has so much as watched a minute of his work...and like, I don't even see the point of his whole thread anyway. These people are performative online and they have a character which is known to do certain things, and then this suddenly leaps to apparently that being bad because it encourages people to be more territorial about the media they enjoy?

First off, everyone who's in the field has a degree of the performative about them - it's hardly limited to the guys he's throwing in this bag, it's basically everyone. You're going to find it really hard to find people who are genuinely, utterly 100% themselves when they're making a video that's designed to be informative, but also entertaining. Of course you're going to enhance things in order to get the point across that you're trying to make - that's a part of the process. For whatever reason he seems to think this is a bad thing? I really don't know what he wants from videos if that's the case - does he just want them to be someone reciting an essay in monotone on a completely blank screen? Even then you still can't avoid being pigeonholed somewhere - you'll be the no frills guy and that'll be your character. It's impossible not to have some sort of character, something that you're known for if you're doing videos and you're successful at it, even if it's not much more than an enhanced version of yourself.

And second...well, i hate to break it to innuendo but fanboys and people being very territorial and the things they love have existed long, long before the rise of the Internet Critics. They would still be there if there weren't any, and they'll be there after they're gone. Hell, things may not be as bad as they once were - we don't usually have young people killihg themselves en masse when a movie star dies young like they did in the silent movie days. Media as whole is all about creating this allegiance. Trekkies existed well before the Internet, just for one example.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 26, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nah, keep it up dude, way easier to just slam a link than to screenshot stuff, after all. Plus it keeps everyone on the same page when you've literally got a source included in your post about what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The "Nooo" is from the blu-ray release, not the special editions.