Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the whole "trade for the sake of making more money" thing is why I bounce off most Space Sims. The X series is unique in that the gameplay evolves as your power grows. You start off just trading up to bigger/better ships, but eventually you start developing your own stations and space empire and then it turns into almost a management/4X style of game. Everything you do has a larger context to it than just "making more money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I literally just found out Egosoft are making X4 because I saw it in GoG. This really flew under the radar

After giving them money for the awful poo poo that was Rebirth, I'm waiting a couple months for this one. It looks like they're going back to what made the series good in the first place, but yeah I'll wait until the verdict is out

I'd probably have to buy a new computer for it anyway

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the whole "trade for the sake of making more money" thing is why I bounce off most Space Sims. The X series is unique in that the gameplay evolves as your power grows. You start off just trading up to bigger/better ships, but eventually you start developing your own stations and space empire and then it turns into almost a management/4X style of game. Everything you do has a larger context to it than just "making more money".

The real problem is that the endgame has you do almost nothing with that space empire and armada unless you add mods that give you something to square off against. Even a small fleet can outgun almost anything the AI throws at you ordinarily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

I really hope you don't have to walk around stations to do basic stuff like trading, that would get old real fast.

I think the idea is that you can do basically all of it in menus and the station walking is more if you actually want to move from one ship on a station to another. As said they walked back a lot of the stupid rebirth walking with patches.

Plus the open platforms look far nicer than the endless bloody hallways in Rebirth.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 25, 2018

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Looks a bit more colorful/cartoony overall than X3, which is sort of a turnoff. E:D feels nice and utilitarian with its futurespace machinery, skewing kinda closer to X3 in that regard. Making 90% of the visual experience black and simple makes the special 10% really special.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did you see the boron ships in X3?

Or the paranid?

Or the khaak?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Or the Thargoids and Guardians in ED?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly one of the nice changes from X3 to Rebirth was that the spaceships all actually look like spaceships rather than the weird poo poo the boron had going on in X3.

Rebirth is very colourful yes but X4 looks actually a bit less so, haven't seen any systems that look like Devries which is extremely orange. Similarly nothing like the upper atmosphere of omicron lyrae. I hope sectors like that are still around because they look very nice but there seems to be more of a focus on the sectors looking like X3.

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Boron ships were easily the coolest design in the X games and I hope to hell they don't mess that up

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dermit posted:

Boron ships were easily the coolest design in the X games and I hope to hell they don't mess that up

Didn't I read somewhere the boron are dead offscreen because animating fish people was going to be too much work or did I just dream all that?

I miss the X2 boron ship designs the most. I want a cool Manta-Ship with a twirly tentacle tail, Egosoft.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Yeah I think X4 is just Argon, Teladi and Paranid at launch. No Boron or Split AFAIK.

Orv
May 4, 2011
New species (and ships, space, stations, etc) will be the focus of DLCs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dermit posted:

I mean I can sort of get what they were going for but they looked loving stupid with that horrible texturing and no animation.

It just looked like a big lump of green poo poo in space.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 26, 2018

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I really want a new space game. No Man's Sky was fun for a while but even after its latest updates I'm struggling to stay interested. Squadron 42 probably gonna need another 10 years before we see it released. Elite Dangerous gets a pass on me due to season pass (don't trust that bullshit), that and also looks like you need to bind keys for millions of stupid functions.

X3 was decent, but it got kind of annoying to constantly look through menus to manage a fleet. Hopefully X4 can streamline some of that crap because I want to be in a cockpit, not buried in menus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Season Passes for Elite are just paid expansions packs. It's how they continue funding development and it's not really shady at all.

Squadron 42 will come out a half assed broken mess in the year 3033, it's best to pretend SC/SQ42 don't even exist (cause they don't).

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Imagine not trusting a season pass but trusting a company thats selling spaceships for thousands of dollars

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

There doesn't seem to be any information or thorough videos on this game whatsoever, which is a big put off for me. From what little there is, it seems like this might just be what Rebirth was supposed to be, with extra options such as station and ship construction being modular?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Imagine not trusting a season pass but trusting a company thats selling JPEGs of spaceships for thousands of dollars

Fixed for greater accuracy of comparison

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

WebDO posted:

Fixed for greater accuracy of comparison

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly one of the nice changes from X3 to Rebirth was that the spaceships all actually look like spaceships rather than the weird poo poo the boron had going on in X3.

Weren't Boron ships actually grown and work underwater or something like that, according to lore?
Kha'ak ships on the other hand, are built just from triangles and purple

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I hope there will be more random hostile aliens to shoot at rather than other factions. Give me silly huge space battles.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I hope there will be more random hostile aliens to shoot at rather than other factions. Give me silly huge space battles.

I'm hoping they work to make the Yaki and Pirates actually... active rather than just existing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Communist Bear posted:

There doesn't seem to be any information or thorough videos on this game whatsoever, which is a big put off for me. From what little there is, it seems like this might just be what Rebirth was supposed to be, with extra options such as station and ship construction being modular?

You have to go look, they don't have a lot of marketing budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6s9sXjqCME

Rebirth had modular station construction; you build a base station, then there's a couple of branching options to add factories, turrets, etc. They dropped the ball on 'immersion'.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeah I think X4 is just Argon, Teladi and Paranid at launch. No Boron or Split AFAIK.

It's a reboot of the universe. I'm a huge Boron fan, and can only hope they come in later. Kha'ak were in Home of Light, and I believe Xenon are still around.

The Paranid are in a theocratic civil war, which is awesome.

Edit: Am I the only person that couldn't give a gently caress for walking around?

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 26, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hav posted:

Edit: Am I the only person that couldn't give a gently caress for walking around?

I don't particularly care either, and I expect no one else really does, but the X series has always had a... simulationist bent, I suppose? So allowing players to explore the giant space stations they fly past all the time was probably always going to happen. I imagine STAR CITIZEN probably pressured them to do that to compete earlier than they might have, before everyone realized that Star Citizen was never actually going to happen.

Edit: I will say, however, that the idea of me getting to stand on the bridge of my M1 in the middle of a fight, like some Imperial Admiral looking out the windows of his Star Destroyer does have a certain appeal.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 26, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I'm not bothered about walking around on stations for trading/quests etc, but I am absolutely all about getting out of the cockpit and walking around my ships, and out onto landing pads to change ships and stuff.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
There's always been a vocal subgroup that was all about wanting to fly down to planets and walk around and visit stations. I get the feeling the devs kinda feel the same way.

Count me as one of those that really doesn't care though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hav posted:

I'm not particularly interested in it as a gameplay mechanic but for a game as slow paced as X, it'd be good to have something to do while your ship is on autopilot.

I'd quite like for them to put a lot of the management menus (optionally) onto actual consoles in a room somewhere, where you can set up different displays to show different parts of your empire productivity. A good use of a 3d space to show information and let you bookmark useful elements of your menu system.

The devs have said that they felt that simulated pads and cockpits etc were expected at this point in time and they couldn't get away with not having them. There might be something to it to be honest.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't particularly care either, and I expect no one else really does, but the X series has always had a... simulationist bent, I suppose? So allowing players to explore the giant space stations they fly past all the time was probably always going to happen. I imagine STAR CITIZEN probably pressured them to do that to compete earlier than they might have, before everyone realized that Star Citizen was never actually going to happen.

I'm a veteran of egosoft from the first game, and have left teeth marks on the case for Reunion.

This pretty much all started with Eve talking about it; at the time I pointed out that the massive difference between the station occupancy of say, Jita IV, compared with literally any station in a 0.5 or below was going to vastly limit the opportunities for said presence. I _suspect_ that they were looking for ways to tighten up Dust/Eve interactions to eventually merge.

X-Rebirth started out as an Xbox game with little to do with the regular universe, but placed the walking up front and center; on release, you had to go find people on the stations and engage in a minigame translated from German to get discounts and poo poo.

Neither of those approaches actually helped the core gameplay, and came close to sinking CCP before they decided to ditch first person and the White Wolf brand.

As for competing with Star Citizen; they were pretty much johnny-come-latelys to the whole walking immersion thing, metastasizing 'Star Marine' into the core. They're suffering from the same gameplay issues with regard to scaling, and will run into some fairly nasty networking issues when they attempt to scale up.

I'm with you on the bridge, though. That tends to help underline the size of some of the ships.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not particularly interested in it as a gameplay mechanic but for a game as slow paced as X, it'd be good to have something to do while your ship is on autopilot.

Oh, so you think they're going to have autopilot? :)

(The one in Rebirth doesn't actually appear to work)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They do, it's in one of the gameplay videos and when you get up from the seat an AI dude will jump in and be the auto pilot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hav posted:

Oh, so you think they're going to have autopilot? :)

(The one in Rebirth doesn't actually appear to work)

? It works for me, though it does sometimes get a little bit screwy trying to use the highways.

I assume that the travel drive is gonna make that easier.

E: also that ^ you can actually be in a ship but have a proper AI to fly it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hav posted:

I'm a veteran of egosoft from the first game, and have left teeth marks on the case for Reunion.

This pretty much all started with Eve talking about it; at the time I pointed out that the massive difference between the station occupancy of say, Jita IV, compared with literally any station in a 0.5 or below was going to vastly limit the opportunities for said presence. I _suspect_ that they were looking for ways to tighten up Dust/Eve interactions to eventually merge.

X-Rebirth started out as an Xbox game with little to do with the regular universe, but placed the walking up front and center; on release, you had to go find people on the stations and engage in a minigame translated from German to get discounts and poo poo.

Neither of those approaches actually helped the core gameplay, and came close to sinking CCP before they decided to ditch first person and the White Wolf brand.

As for competing with Star Citizen; they were pretty much johnny-come-latelys to the whole walking immersion thing, metastasizing 'Star Marine' into the core. They're suffering from the same gameplay issues with regard to scaling, and will run into some fairly nasty networking issues when they attempt to scale up.

I'm with you on the bridge, though. That tends to help underline the size of some of the ships.

Ahhh, right, I had forgotten about CCP trying to do that. I remember 10 dollar boots and 7 dollar monocles and poo poo.

I'm very curious how commanding fleets from a map on your Captial Ship bridge will feel. I really want it to be good or at least, fixable. Being able to pretend to be a Real Space Admiral does sound fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think they've actually integrated menus into the consoles but presumably you can get out of the chair and call them up normally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My hope for being able to walk around stations and our space ships, is that these locations will actually be interesting and have things to do beyond just trading. I want to find cool places to look at and explore.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rhjamiz posted:

Ahhh, right, I had forgotten about CCP trying to do that. I remember 10 dollar boots and 7 dollar monocles and poo poo.

I'm very curious how commanding fleets from a map on your Captial Ship bridge will feel. I really want it to be good or at least, fixable. Being able to pretend to be a Real Space Admiral does sound fun.

$7? I thought the monocle specifically was something stupidly overpriced, like over $50.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It was 80 bucks iirc

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I couldn't remember the price and I thought 70-80 bucks sounded insane so I hedged my bets. Turns out it was exactly that insane.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

even ripping off space game nerds wasn't an original idea for Chris Roberts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was fun reading about Chris Roberts' involvement in Freelancer and the whiplash between wondering how he went from making something that good to reading about the trainwreck of a development it had to learning that he hosed up what even got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

I couldn't remember the price and I thought 70-80 bucks sounded insane so I hedged my bets. Turns out it was exactly that insane.

Helmar at the time compared it to designer jeans. I believe it was actually $70, though, and it only appeared on your avatar, because you only got to stomp around your quarters. I quit Eve shortly after monaclegate and an entertaining week burning Jita, mainly because CCP appear to have lost their drat minds.

big nipples big life posted:

even ripping off space game nerds wasn't an original idea for Chris Roberts.

Yeah, but you'll notice how the language really doesn't change, and it's fairly consistent to point out that some people buy <extremely expensive geegaw> and don't appear to have a problem with it.

OwlFancier posted:

? It works for me, though it does sometimes get a little bit screwy trying to use the highways.

It never has for me, and I just use the route indicator. I'll have to go see what I'm doing wrong. Sidewinder engines turned me into a helicopter, though.