Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

habeasdorkus posted:

Missing that penalty must have been gutting.
Yeah, I was pretty pissed for a second.
At least Reid was honorable enough to commit seppuku and break his leg 20 minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dancer posted:

I am slightly baffled... how hardcore/desperate must one be as a Man U fan to show up to that game? And there's apparently enough of them to get you all that cash.

You can't even get a train from Surrey to Nailsworth.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Keep in mind that, for one, season tickets still apply, so even if a season ticket holder decided to take that game off their seat would still technically be filled. Assuming it works the same way as America, for one.

Two, even teams in America like, say Alabama or Ohio State or Penn State college football teams still sell out their massive stadiums for even a game against an FCS school. Those tickets are probably more affordable for fans who can't afford Premier League matches.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Appendix: The Year in Football/ Fußball/Futball/Calcio/Soccer, 2019-2020
July 1, 2021

Lets marvel again at Salvatore Colonna. I'm very, very happy I didn't give him a minimum fee release clause in his contract, and even happier that I have a three year option on him. If he pulls off the same type of season in Serie B, he's going to be worth tens of millions.

Also, for all the poor timing of Enrici and Punzi's injuries, we got away almost scot free this past season. Of our front line players only Enrici missed more than a month. Minelli stayed healthy almost the entire year.

Italy

Of course Juventus won. At least Lazio were poo poo, while the usual suspects sans Napoli round out the Champions League qualifying positions. One thing to note is that Pescara just got sent down to Serie B. Pescara owns Minelli. They may not be willing to loan him to us next season.

Our parent club goes back up to Serie A with back to back promotions. Meanwhile, we don't get to play Pro Vercelli, as they're being dumped down to Serie C/A. There's some reasonably big names in Serie B, though, such as former Serie A runners up Parma and 1970 scudetto holders Cagliari. We're a minnow in a large lake now.

Thank goodness that Juventus didn't do the double. They've been on top of Italian soccer now for almost a decade, winning every single scudetto since 2012 in real life and continuing their dominance in our future.

Europe

Like Juventus rules Serie A, Bayern Munich rules the Bundesliga. Someone tell TheMcD that Eintracht Frankfurt made a good showing of themselves, though.

And whatever there is to be said about Juve and Bayern, at least their league has other good teams. PSG can sleepwalk to titles forever, but will always wake up before they can win a Champions League title.

Wow, Atletico had themselves a season. Neither of the two giants in Real Madrid or Barcelona came close! Of note is Basque country club Eibar, which upon winning promotion to La Liga for the first time in 2014 and then promptly needed a charity campaign to reach 2m euros in shareholder capital or face relegation for lack of financial resources. Eibar plays in a 7000 seat stadium, and have now held their own in one of the very top leagues since 2015. Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, and the rest all have to make the trip to little Eibar, which on top of being tiny is owned by a fan trust. They're like a real world Lower League Manager game come true, except they understandably haven't been able to crack the troika of Barca and the Madrid clubs atop La Liga.

Apparently Arsene Wegner never retired in this world, and so Arsenal continue to finish fourth. Norridge had a truly abominable season, with only eleven points from three wins, two draws, and thirty three losses.

Who you would prefer to win in that FA Cup final depends on whether you'd prefer rich Emirati sheik or a rich Russian buddy of Putin's to get another trophy after spending billions to buy a superteam.

It will never not be funny to watch superclubs with very gross owners get tonked in the first knockout round by the likes of Schalke and Benfica. Unfortunately, Chelsea and especially Real Madrid are Megabastards, so the Champions League trophy has yet more sullied paws gripping it.

Goddamnit, Arsenal. Stop winning trophies. This did lead me to check to see if Arsene was still with them, and nope! He retired after winning the Premiership in 2018. Carlo Ancelotti is the one leading them to a proper fourth place finish now.

Americas

The MLS season is in full swing, providing good retirement opportunities for past their prime European players relaxing and making mediocre American players look like children.

I really don't know what's up with the Brazilian club names. I'm guessing the same mod I used to get names and badges for clubs the game hasn't licensed is only giving ATM for Atletico Miniero's name. At least the club crests are accurate.

International

Oh England. Not getting past the quarterfinals yet again. Even Greece outdid you. Meanwhile, France continues to have the greatest disparity between quality of the national team (regular World Cup contender) and professional leagues (not much better than the Portuguese, Turkish, Russian, Belgian and Dutch leagues and waaaaaay behind Spain, England, Germany and Italy).

Hey! The Americans made it to the bronze medal game at the 2020 Olympics! Did they medal?!

Hahaha, of course not. Still, that's a good showing from an under 23 squad that has players who suit up as starters for Champions League teams. Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, and Ethan Horvath all suit up for clubs that regularly make the knockout stage.

Next time on Days of Our Serene Republic, literally half of Serie A think they can get Anthony Enrici for 600k and the promise of a friendly if they all keep making the same offer over and over.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Hang on, how are Holland in the Olympics? What happened to the rest of the Netherlands?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

FrangibleCover posted:

Hang on, how are Holland in the Olympics? What happened to the rest of the Netherlands?

Nexit caused Holland to split off from the Netherlands to stay in the EU.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
FM18 really doesn't like Liverpool and Tottenham.

And I see Schalke had a season much like the current one is shaping up for them in real life where they somehow do okay in the CL but poo poo the bed hard in the league.

habeasdorkus posted:

And whatever there is to be said about Juve and Bayern, at least their league has other good teams. PSG can sleepwalk to titles forever, but will always wake up before they can win a Champions League title.
I've sometimes seen Monaco win the league in FM18. Not that they're much better than PSG; mostly they're just slightly smaller and more Russian.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

The dikes failed and they finally sunk.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Nexit caused Holland to split off from the Netherlands to stay in the EU.

Belxit really threw everyone for a loop too. Brussels is now the West Berlin of present day Europe.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

Blame the auto de fe of Wervershoof, c. 2019.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Turns out the micronations were inside EU all along.

Also I just caught up to the thread after seeing your post in the New LP threads thread and this is good stuff.

I have a question though, is there anything you can do to retaliate when the board sells a good player out of the blue?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 25, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Further adventures in FM19:
There's a new feature, which is that player agents are now giving you an opinion about what their client (or they) want when a transfer offer comes in or you go to the "Offer to clubs" screen. Which is a very good feature to help you avoid unhappiness or at least know what you're getting into before you reject a non-negotiable lowball bullshit offer from a big team.
Of course, some players don't have an agent.

"Just letting you know boss, I may really lose my poo poo here. I don't want that to happen any more than you do, but who knows what I'll do?"

HardDiskD posted:

I have a question though, is there anything you can do to retaliate when the board sells a good player out of the blue?
Well, you can resign.

Apart from that, there's not much you can do directly. You'll usually be asked about the transfer during your next press conference and can call the board out during that.

You can also go to the board and aggressively demand a better contract, better facilities etc. citing improved financial conditions as a reason and leak details about those conversations to the press if the board doesn't acquiesce. You can't directly reference the recent player sale ("You sold my best player, now show me the money.") during those negotiations, though. Leaking anything to the press will also get you fired unless you're getting amazing results.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In FM as in real life, never resign from a job when you can Office Space it until you get fired instead.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
YAY a new Football Manager LP! Well, not new per se, but I only learned about it once the post in the "New LPs" thread went up, so...

Aw drat I missed the board vote. Well, next time!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just read back up to date on this LP, it’s been so good! Also really enjoying the narrative flavour you’re adding. Not usually my thing in LPs but it’s funny here and just the right amount.

I’ve played FM on and off for years but stopped a few years ago when I felt the game got too complex for casuals like myself. This LP is making me think seriously about picking up an old version and having a go!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
At least San Jose is one point over those bastards in LA.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

YAY a new Football Manager LP! Well, not new per se, but I only learned about it once the post in the "New LPs" thread went up, so...

Aw drat I missed the board vote. Well, next time!

Yeah, people who liked and followed the old one have been trickling in for months and I finally realized I'd never posted a link. On the plus side, nice little archive binge awaiting y'all,

Red_Fred posted:

Also really enjoying the narrative flavour you're adding. Not usually my thing in LPs but it;s funny here and just the right amount.

The game is a pretty great emergent storytelling machine, there isn't that much I have to add. Even the players personalities are already reasonably well developed by the game. Pazzi will never not be a prat because of a low loyalty stat and a reasonably high ambition stat, for example, and Conti will always take his role as captain of the team seriously because of his professionalism stat. Makes writing about them so much easier than if I had to develop them as characters on my own.

JDGreat
Jan 26, 2015
Holy crap, Watford came 5th in the Premier League?! Any news on what caused them to rocket so high? I know we're doing alright IRL this season, but we're in Europe here! Did we stop scrapping managers?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

can we sell stab to PSG or something

maybe we can get a euro or two

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can we keep tabs on the Campeonato Brasileiro, or at least on Copa Libertadores?

Or are they too garbage to actually consider?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

Can we keep tabs on the Campeonato Brasileiro, or at least on Copa Libertadores?

habeasdorkus posted:

I really don't know what's up with the Brazilian club names. I'm guessing the same mod I used to get names and badges for clubs the game hasn't licensed is only giving ATM for Atletico Miniero's name. At least the club crests are accurate.

I'll add in Brazil and Argentina's top leagues next year. If people have requests, let me know, I'm happy to sim leagues that people want to know about.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sweden :,(

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll add in Brazil and Argentina's top leagues next year. If people have requests, let me know, I'm happy to sim leagues that people want to know about.

Scotland! Can't wait to see how this year handles Rangers'... highly solvent status?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Captain Foo posted:

can we sell stab to PSG or something

maybe we can get a euro or two

Im italian so ill go to juventus, a true megabastard

Dancer
May 23, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, the Romanian league would amuse me, but it's also kinda silly. Dunno how much it slows down your game, I don't think it's worth it for just like 3 shots a season.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

stab posted:

Im italian so ill go to juventus, a true megabastard

bellissimo

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, people who liked and followed the old one have been trickling in for months and I finally realized I'd never posted a link. On the plus side, nice little archive binge awaiting y'all,

Pfft, as though I didn't binge on the thread before posting. :D

Now that that happened I'm going back and reading the Tackleford/Wrexham LP again rather than waiting from update to update to get my fix. This is what happens to me when it's not baseball season...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Sorry! I might have skipped a few updates didn't even realize.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Volume IV: One Thousand to One
July 1, 2020-July 1, 2021

Prologue: Tony Toni Tone, the Belle of the Summer Window.
July 1, 2020-August 1, 2020

Nothing like a nice, relaxing offseason to prepare for a new level of play! I can’t wait to see what the media makes of little old us battling alongside clubs that regularly frequent Serie A.

As per the results of the Board Vote, the combined wage/transfer budget for the coming season is €49,322 a week, or €2,564,744.  That’s a number I’m perfectly happy with, more than doubling the €23,000 a week I had to work with last season. Also, it turns out that players only get the higher of the promotion wage raise and their yearly raise, so Punzi didn’t have compounding salary increases all the way to nearly €4,000 a week.

You’ve also granted me a scouting budget of €336,000 to scout Italian senior players and kids all across the Central European region (which includes not only Italy and Germany, but also France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and the Netherlands).  I put this new knowledge to immediate use.

I’m also given permission to hire an additional scout, which gives us the best recruitment team in Serie B. Not to be overlooked is that our coaching staff is also above average for Serie B across every single category and our docs are among the best in the league as well.

The Board in its infinite wisdom voted nearly unanimously to improve our youth training facilities.

Even if stab didn’t want to part with the money.

First things first, some friendlies.  We may be in Serie B now and not entirely broke, but I still want to pull in some additional cash and it never hurts to see the stadium full.  Plus, beating up on Gubbio is something I want to do all the time now that we’re a much bigger club than our rivals.

Thanks, Parliament!

A number of our players now count as having been “home grown” at our club, which will be important when we get to Serie A and need a certain number of home grown players on our team registration list.  The idea behind the club home grown rule is to prevent teams from just snapping up free agents in their prime to create a super-club, but in reality just means that big teams run giant academies that bring in highly touted kids from around the world who are as young as their preteens so that some of them will make good on their potential and qualify for home grown status.  This is basically how it can work with the national home grown rule, since that way the players qualify as being “Italian” or “English” and aren’t restricted by the national federations’ rules on how many foreign players can be on a roster.

Anyways, Pazzi, Cataldi, and Vanzetta just hit their club level “home grown” standard.

Say hello to our new head of youth development!  We now have three Icelandic coaches. If they brought their families with them to San Marino, then San Marino probably has the second highest percentage of Icelandic citizens after the home island itself.

This will not be a problem.  Our roster has four players who are going to be age 24 or older this season.  That happens to be the absolute minimum number of players you need to register for Serie B.

Our quality staff members sign their new contracts.  Meanwhile, the ones who aren’t up to snuff were told their contracts were not being renewed but that I’d be happy to write them a reference to any of our opponents.

And as the transfer window looms, there’s only four players who I think might earn new contracts- Vogliacco, Tesoro, De Meo, and Buonagrazia.  I have a three year extension option on Conti, he’s not going anywhere.

Teams are whispering to the media about signing Enrici even before the window opens. This is going to be a long, long transfer window.  We’re now in good enough financial shape that I won’t get anyone sold out from underneath me, so either pony up multiple millions for Enrici or :frogout:

And now, to do something important.

If you want my players, you better be willing to pay me what they’re worth.  Actually, that price for Pazzi is optimistic, but he’s still ours for two more seasons so there’s no need to sell him this window.

Oh, and I decided to bring Vanzetta back for another season.  Chievo is still happy to pay his way, and he’s already blended with the core social group.

: One, One rejected offer for Enrici!

One of these days these players would be interested in signing with us!  By the time that happens, though, we won’t need them.

Uh, what?

: Ok…

: But don’t think this will mollify me if you sell Enrici without my permission…

:: Two, two rejected offers for Enrici!

I’m not sure what led three different Serie C teams to make offers for players I plan on using this season, but I guess I should go through and set everyone on the senior team’s loan status to “not available.”  At least two of them were offering to pay full freight on their wages.

The fans are perplexed by the loan offers as well.

After being unable to find a cheap quack to replace the cheap, incompetent quack who had previously been the Under 20’s medical staff, I resort to placing an ad.

Same goes for the U18 head coaching position, though there I probably should have just promoted Ceccarelli or Pestrin to the job.

Now that I have access to basic information on young players throughout most of western and central Europe I can start bringing in the unsigned ones after just a week of scouting and have some confidence that they’re probably good enough to merit a contract.  We already knew about Centonze from when he was released in the spring, but Franco, Seral, and the rest I bring in this summer all started off with about 40% knowledge even before I assigned a scout to give me a report.

Signora Palmas and Signore Sauro should show some faith.

Vanzetta’s back.  This will be his fourth season with the club, he’s been with us all the way since the start when he assisted on Federico Minelli’s first goal on the first day of the season. He hasn’t developed quite as much as I hoped, but since Colonna is not good at tracking back to defend we need a competent wingback to match with Morotti and Kwame.

You do realize that Vanzetta was exactly who we already had, Signore Alcini?

:  Why would I bring people on as trialists if I didn’t think they had a chance of making our team?

This is going to start happening more and more.  Players who we’ve negotiated a contract have every reason to leak that they’re about to sign, in an effort to get a bigger or deeper-pocketed club to start a bidding war.

Listen to Signore Pighetti, Signores Colzi and Tomassini.

News of the contract negotiation unsettles Conti.  I’m stunned, he’s been nothing but a professional and he’s our team leader.

: I, uh, sorry Allenatrice. I was just a little worried.  I know that Minelli and Stecca and Colonna and Enrici are all the type of player you’re looking for… and I don’t know if I’ll ever be that good.

: Look, Alessandro, you’re my captain.  You’re their captain. Remember that, keep working hard, and you’re going to have a place with this club.  Now, go find Pazzi and tell him to stop instasnapping himself in different Serie A club’s jersey. It’s a bad look, and not just for the club.

Maybe Conti will be less worried about being replaced if I trigger his contract extension.  I also push the button on Colonna too, so that I have more leverage when the teams sniffing around him make an offer and he gets stars in his eyes.

: Three! Three rejected offers for Enrici!

: Five! Five rejected offers for Enrici! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Ok, these loan offers make sense.  I agree to both of them, and the fact that Novara- who we beat to win promotion to Serie B less than a month ago- want Di Mattia as a first team player is a very, very good indication that he’s not far off from seeing time in the first team.  Vannucci also needs playing time against competition at his level, he keeps lagging just far enough behind our level that I can’t throw him into the fray.

Di Mattia jumps at the chance to get off the U18 team and into professional play.  That’s the fire in the
belly I like to see from the kids.

Note that we’ve already rejected five offers for Enrici and he wasn’t even healthy at the time.

: Seven! Seven rejected offers for Enrici! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Yeah, that’s no surprise.  Let’s chat, Signora Di Comite.

:  We’re getting nowhere with this, and we’re about to miss our dinner reservations at Ristorante Righi.

:  I don’t see why you won’t budge on a €7.5m the minimum fee release clause! Tony’s one of my best players!  I gotta get top dollar for him!

:  Darling, we’re done negotiating. You know how I work.

: Hang on, I’m getting a call from Signore Bernardi.  You go get the car started, I’ll be right there.

:  Someone wants to hire Manolo as their coach?

: This is awesome! I’ll have a coaching tree! It’s almost as good as having a child!

My words were heard by Serie D clubs, who come en masse requesting that Manolo become their next manager.

And the trialists keep rolling in.  I’m enthused about Zorniger, he looks like a steal at any price and we need strikers who aren’t just on loan from other clubs if we’re going to maintain our success over time.

Our first signing of the season is Swiss midfielder Alfredo Dürig.  I tried to bring him in on trial, but the itty-bitty club that he was with wouldn’t let him.  I understand how they feel, considering my reactions to big clubs asking for my players to come in on trial.

He’s quick, has a silky smooth first touch, and knows how to pick out his passes.  And he’s already well suited to the style of midfield play we’ve been using, where our midfielders are all responsible for going forward and back all throughout the game.

And of course the Captain gets right to helping out the guy he was worried would replace him.  Conti is such a good dude.

Wait, what?  Pre-season is starting?  It’s already the end of July?

Why are we back two weeks early?  I specifically remember giving our players a five week break, and it’s barely been three.

quote:

Yeah, we're not coming back that soon.

Our kids deserve a summer vacation.

: Captain Foooooooooo!

Yeesh, Enrici. Give it some time.  And don't throw your teammates under the bus.

I was hoping to see a bump in season ticket sales, but it looks like we’re still going to be playing with three quarters of the grounds closed due to lack of spectators.

Ghiotto and Belkheir have never had a chance to develop, if I can’t sell them I’ll at least send them on loan.  Carissoni never broke into the first team and is now surplus to requirements, so I’ll take just about anything for him.

Now that I have money, I try to see if I can snatch up Sebastian Quitadamo, who’s been transfer listed at Siracusa.  But Siracusa is, smartly, not budging on their demand that someone pay the full release clause fee. I’m not willing to spend my entire transfer budget on one player, so, have fun with a Serie A club Quito.

: Eight! Eight rejected offers for Enrici!

(The COACH leans up against the doorway of PESTRIN’s office on his last day with San Marino)

: (farewelling-ly) Best of luck to you, ya big lunk.

(PESTRIN looks up, and removes his NOISE-CANCELLING HEADPHONES)

: (distractedly) Sorry. What was that, Boss?

: (indulgently) Never change, Manolo.

Latina were pretty good last year! Vannucci has his chance to shine.

And he’s motivated to show the world what he can do.

Dürig is an extremely high ceiling player, that Tesoro is rated as a better prospect means I need to start playing the kid more often.

It took literally a year, but Vogliacco now realizes that he’s never going to be Andres Iniesta with the ball at his feet.

Meanwhile, Colonna continues to impress.  He’s 20 years old and already a good Serie B player.

: Twelve! Twelve rejected offers for Enrici!

: Thirteen! Thirteen rejected offers for Enrici! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

We beat Avellino last year in the Serie C Cup, so we should be plumped to finish better than 15th, right?

I guess not. 1000-1 odds is pretty bleak, as is being pegged for relegation.

: Fourteen! Fourteen rejected offers for Enrici! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Oh, hey, an offer for someone other than Enrici.  I bet rejecting this will tick off Pazzi.

I called it!  Let’s see what the Cap’n can do.

Also about what I expected.  Ok kid, come on down to my office.  I don’t think you’ll like what I’m about to tell you.

CoachIrritated:  I’m tempted to sell you just to get your raggedy, overrated rear end out of here, but I’ll be twice-damned before I let some kid dictate transfer policy to me.

Oh, right, I let Piano Man schedule some more friendlies because we got back into camp two weeks earlier than expected.  Todi are lower level pikers, and a good opportunity to get some trialists into the squad. The match also reminded me that I still don’t have a backup goalkeeper for Cataldi now that Melgrati’s a free agent.

Worse, this is basically the only decent free agent keeper we have any scouting information on, and he just turned down a trial offer flat.

Uh.  I’m not sure why professional matches are being rescheduled for a youth invitational tournament… especially one held in Moscow during the depths of winter.  I’ll just blame Lega Nord and Putin for this one.

Agents! :arrrgh:

Kwame has spent more or less the entire summer playing for the Ghanaian U20 team.  That’s good in that it means they think he has a future with the national team but bad in that he’s had no rest all summer.

Oh lord, I wouldn’t trust any of these guys to apply a compression wrap, much less suture a gash.

Second signing of the season! We finally have a striker other than Belkheir who’s actually signed to our club!  I immediately send him on an immersive language class since he doesn’t speak a lick of Italian.

: Just teach him how to cuss properly and he’ll do fine.

: (shruggingly) How hard could Italian be to learn after speaking German all your life?

His finishing, heading, and acceleration scores wouldn’t be out of place on a Europa League team.  He’s solid speed and stamina, and perfectly fine composure. And he’s best used as an advanced forward, the same style of striker as Minelli and Stecca.

YOU LOOK NICE.

Nice enough to spend some of my €700,000 transfer budget on.

All of these people are terrible!  But since I haven’t figured out how to specifically search for an U18 Head Coach via the staff search tool, I refuse to spend time clicking on actually good coaches until I find one who will accept the U18 role.

I’d say slow and steady, stab, but this is really just slow.

We’re in the Coppa Italia this year.  I’m guessing that we just didn’t have the reputation/track record previously to be selected for it as the qualifying rounds are at the same time as the Serie C Cup group stage.  I’ve told the powers that be that we’ll get to the third qualifying round, which will mean beating Olbia or Reggiana.

Italy draws the entire Coppa Italia bracket at once, rather than doing a draw of all the teams after each round a la the English FA Cup.  If we got to the first round we’d play Sampdoria, which would be a decent payday.

It took Pazzi longer than I thought to blow up over not being given a transfer.  Because he’s done this so often his teammates appear to have gotten used to it.

Money is nice.  National attention is nicer.

Keano Bovy was going to be one of my offseason targets, but he’s inferior to both Zorniger and Jacques.  He’s going to be Sad Keano when he realizes what he’s missing out on.

Ask all you want, but you better come correct with your offer.

I thought I set all of them to not available for loan!

: Seventeen! Seventeen rejected offers for Enrici! Ah-ha-ha-… You do realize I’m meant to help toddlers learn basic digits, right?  I’m not really meant for counting past ten…

: Less whining and more counting or I’ll open the shades!

: Has your client budged on the terms of a release clause?

: Ah, no...

:  Then we don’t have anything to talk about yet, do we?

: I’ll let Signore Enrici know of your stance.

: Nineteen! Nineteen rejected offers for Enrici! Ah-ha-ha…

(The COUNT breaks down sobbing)

Franco and Centonze are expected to sign their contracts any day now.  Saral…

I made a mistake negotiating Saral’s contract, starting with too low of a salary offer (at the bottom of what he was expected to ask for) and then pushing too aggressively to keep the salary low and increase the release clause too much.  Too bad, he was a 4 star player for our current team and is only 18.

Win some, lose some.

For example, this is a win. The only negative about Jacques’ contract is that we have to give 40% of our profit to Bastia if he’s sold.

I imagine that when players like Dürig and Jacques arrive in San Marino for the first time, Alessandro Conti is standing at the bus terminal and holding a cardboard sign with their name and exclamation points on it.

Jacques shares a number of traits with Zorniger, from quality finishing and heading to all around good physical attributes. He fits best as an advanced forward and as a target man, and will come in handy on set pieces.

And with that, we’ve reached the start of August.  Let’s check in with Count Von Count one last time.

: Please.  Please stop. I can’t keep doing this.  Don’t you have any humanity?

: Silence, felt boi.  The only thing I want to hear from you is the count. Keep this up and I’ll bring out the teething puppy again.

: Twenty-one… twenty-one rejected offers for Enrici…

:siren:Prediction Contest:siren:

Predict: How many more offers for Anthony Enrici will we receive prior to the close of the transfer window on September 2?

Tiebreaker: what will be the highest offer we receive for Enrici.  Just straight monetary value, not counting extra clauses like percentage of future transfer or money from a friendly arranged as a clause of the transfer.  E.g. “€1,111,111 will be the highest offer.”

Contest closes upon the next update being posted.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 27, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Poor Count, he never asked for this :smith:

45 more offers, highest at 1.6 mil euros

Rarity fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 27, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rarity posted:

Poor Count, he never asked for this :smith:

He should have thought about that before he started counting!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
46 offers total. 1,2m.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
37 more offers
1,050,000 Euros

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

22 more offers, highest value will be 950,000 Euros

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

I've sometimes seen Monaco win the league in FM18. Not that they're much better than PSG; mostly they're just slightly smaller and more Russian.

Actually, PSG lost Ligue Un in 2018 to Monaco, so I shouldn't have been quite so dismissive. Monaco is a highbastard club, big enough to afford a lot of really good young talent and completely unable to hold off the megabastards from raiding their team when that good young talent proves itself.

JDGreat posted:

Holy crap, Watford came 5th in the Premier League?! Any news on what caused them to rocket so high? I know we're doing alright IRL this season, but we're in Europe here! Did we stop scrapping managers?

Vincent Janssen scored 20 goals, Troy Deeney had a career year at 32 years old, Roberto Pereyra and Abdoulaye Doucoure peaked at 29 and 27 respectively, and Ludwig Augustinsson was a great signing from Werder Bremen in 2019. They're loading up for the Europa League, they signed Jorginho when Napoli let him go on a free. Marco Silva has really done a heck of a job with the team.

Turns out I already had Scotland and Brazil turned on (I run with a lot of leagues even as a LLM so that their good newgens will percolate throughout the world, the player database is 473,000 strong at the moment). Rangers has "secure" financials for the time being, while Cruzeiro won the 2019 Brasileirão.

Brasileirão, 2020

Scottish Premiership, 2019-2020

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
33 more offers and 1,250,000€

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Only 20 more offers but a cool one million Euros from the top one.

Tiebreaker on the tiebreaker, the club makes you sign him away for less than that million on September 2nd.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

:catstare: Son of a bitch... just one day after we take 2nd place, you also pull crap like this, FM?
Not cool.

And I'll call another fifteen offers, topping at... 1 mil, 500k Euros.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
21 additional offers for a total of 42.
Highest at €2,100,000.

habeasdorkus posted:

All of these people are terrible! But since I haven’t figured out how to specifically search for an U18 Head Coach via the staff search tool, I refuse to spend time clicking on actually good coaches until I find one who will accept the U18 role.
You can't do that directly but there are some ways to find people that will probably be interested in taking those positions.
The most obvious one is sorting people by what job they currently hold at their club under the assumption that they'll take a similar position at a different club.
Another one is to restrict the search to people with lower reputation or coaching qualifications, but that doesn't always work out.
What I do most of the time is search for coaches that are also players (Add Conditions/General/Is Player) or under 40. If you've got enough leagues loaded you can find tons of players that are at the end of their career or just retired looking for their first non-playing job. A lot of them have terrible stats but you can find great ones in there. In FM18 I made Zlatan Ibrahimovic my U18 manager at Villarreal and he went on to manage Sevilla after a season. He probably partially got that job because of his sky-high reputation, but he was also just really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

:catstare: Son of a bitch... just one day after we take 2nd place, you also pull crap like this, FM?
Not cool.

At least it's not the end of the season! Because I do the season recaps in midsummer most of the American leagues are in full swing. So there's plenty of time for Flamengo to make up a two point deficit on Gremio. I mean cmon, they're Gremio, they're not winning the title.

Also, my immersion is ruined until they fully implement Ultras being complete shitheels into the game. I wouldn't even play a final, I'd just give the Libertadores to Boca Juniors. Note, I'd also dock Liverpool a point in this year's Champions League group stage for a couple dumbass fans throwing beers at the Man City bus last spring.

Wizard Styles posted:

What I do most of the time is search for coaches that are also players (Add Conditions/General/Is Player) or under 40. If you've got enough leagues loaded you can find tons of players that are at the end of their career or just retired looking for their first non-playing job. A lot of them have terrible stats but you can find great ones in there. In FM18 I made Zlatan Ibrahimovic my U18 manager at Villarreal and he went on to manage Sevilla after a season. He probably partially got that job because of his sky-high reputation, but he was also just really good.

That's the one thing I don't do, and it's a good idea. I'll probably start doing that in the future.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 27, 2018