Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

luchajones posted:

Does Costco restock their live Christmas trees? Seems a tad bit early to get one right now.

Not sure and also I don't know how fresh their trees are but in past years I've gotten a live tree the weekend after Thanksgiving (so this one) and with a fresh cut and proper watering they have stayed healthy and green through the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is the co likely to be Not Filthy With Olds tomorrow?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just bought a backordered fridge on costco.com today. No hotdog via email :(

Anyone have experience with the Costco delivery service/contractors?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

The Costco guys who brought my fridge were great and quick. They needed to pop my door to get it through, and had it off in a few seconds. The old fridge was hauled away and the new one installed within 30 minutes, plus the guys got there within 2-3 minutes if when they said they would.

One of my good friends bought a fridge online from Costco a few weeks ago, and on Wednesday they showed up to drop it off. It was a single guy, he wanted my friend (a 4ft something tiny little woman who struggles to lift anything) to pull the door off herself, didn't want to help hook anything up, and also wanted her to help him drag the new one across her floor.

I'm guessing for her fridge the second guy called in sick that day, because I have no idea why they would ever send someone out alone to deliver a fridge. She ended up refusing delivery because she couldn't do what he needed her to.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I legit don't know how you can have a Costco membership without a chest freezer? You know who sells great chest freezers? Costco. They should have a premium membership that comes with one.

I live in an NYC apartment. Not a complete shoebox, but no space for a chest freezer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco got trees yet?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Costco got trees yet?

Yorba Linda CA has had fake ones for a month.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do the fake ones get cheaper as the season drags on? Our 2010 model has seen better days and I will get PTSD of childhood swapping too many string-a-long lights.

I figure eight years is a decent run for something that gets stuffed into a box every year but didn’t realize they were $300 or more.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

tangy yet delightful posted:

They're the same jackholes that do deliveries for everybody else. If you get suuuuuuuper lucky they'll show up on time and deliver your thing when they said they would.
It's not at all uncommon for those dickheads to jerk you around for multiple weeks.
If you can't take it home with you, don't expect a good time. Costco uses third-parties to deliver poo poo and those third-parties don't give a single gently caress.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hed posted:

Do the fake ones get cheaper as the season drags on? Our 2010 model has seen better days and I will get PTSD of childhood swapping too many string-a-long lights.

I figure eight years is a decent run for something that gets stuffed into a box every year but didn’t realize they were $300 or more.

I think we paid $60 for the real tree last year. If you got 8 years out of the fake tree, that's pretty good. Also the convenience is nice. And lack of cleaning.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Well I went ahead and bought their fraiser fir. Hope I can make it last to Christmas

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

luchajones posted:

Well I went ahead and bought their fraiser fir. Hope I can make it last to Christmas

Abuse the return policy if it doesn’t

I saw people in a relatively affluent area returning fresh cut trees after Christmas. It was awful. They all got refunds.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Abuse the return policy if it doesn’t

I saw people in a relatively affluent area returning fresh cut trees after Christmas. It was awful. They all got refunds.

People will do this with any plant that dies (usually due to neglect). But yeah, it's especially terrible/depressing when it comes to Christmas trees getting returned after Christmas.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Jingleheimer posted:

People will do this with any plant that dies (usually due to neglect). But yeah, it's especially terrible/depressing when it comes to Christmas trees getting returned after Christmas.

People also do it because the dipshits at the garden center overwater everything and you can't tell something is in the beginning stages of rot until a week after you get it home and it literally turns into mush and falls apart in front of you. Even actual reputable nurseries do this.

But returning a christmas tree after christmas becuase you can is, I mean, gently caress the billion dollar corporation you bought it from, their profits come second to your ability to afford food and rent, take whatever you can get, but I guess it's a dick move.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Maybe they're Greeks or Russians so it's still before Christmas for them?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bummey posted:

People also do it because the dipshits at the garden center overwater everything and you can't tell something is in the beginning stages of rot until a week after you get it home and it literally turns into mush and falls apart in front of you. Even actual reputable nurseries do this.

But returning a christmas tree after christmas becuase you can is, I mean, gently caress the billion dollar corporation you bought it from, their profits come second to your ability to afford food and rent, take whatever you can get, but I guess it's a dick move.

Lol why would you buy a xmas tree instead of paying rent or eating

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

To feel slightly less depressed on the holidays

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hed posted:

I don't know if they get cheaper as the season drags on, but I do know you can get insane deals if you buy one after Christmas. I'm not sure that applies to Costco, but it certainly does for a place like Harrows that is trying to liquidate it's stock.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bummey posted:

The people shopping at Costco are not struggling, having a Costco membership is an easy way to identify a middle/upper class income.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Peachfart posted:

The people shopping at Costco are not struggling, having a Costco membership is an easy way to identify a middle/upper class income.

That's actually in part because Costco chooses locations for their warehouses based on average annual household income. And Costco will gladly take a loss and refund someone returning a Christmas tree, because they don't want to risk someone canceling their membership over it since that's where most of their profit comes from. At least, that's what happens with stuff like a $35 Christmas tree. If Costco determines that a member is abusing the return policy with high end electronics they will definitely cancel that person's membership.

That reminds me of how we got a new couch in the break room at my Costco. There were some people who would buy one of the expensive power reclining sofas from Costco, take it out of the box, and then put a cheap garbage sofa they bought elsewhere back in the box and return it for the full amount. And they got away with it too since they didn't open the box and inspect it. They pulled that off at 4 different Costco's before they got caught.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

that's exactly what I was saying good job

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Didn't come off that way.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My wife and I are having a holiday party and I am trying to talk her into letting the food come from Costco. What are the best things you have tried for a party setting? I am up for deli stuff, frozen stuff, or cold stuff. Not really looking to cook and she shot down us just getting 50 dogs/drinks/refills.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Ive done, the wrap pinwheels, the croissant sandwiches, the scrimps, the asian wraps... none of it seemed very crowd pleasing at my parties. I'm sad about it because I want to give Costco my money.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pizzas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Ive done, the wrap pinwheels, the croissant sandwiches, the scrimps, the asian wraps... none of it seemed very crowd pleasing at my parties. I'm sad about it because I want to give Costco my money.

its cuz everyone else thought about it previously so costco is de rigeur for middle class and upper middle class peep parties

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Frozen chicken spring rolls.

Any of the jalapeno/artichoke dips. The cranberry jalapeno is amazing.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

How many people? My go to is buy a few big things of different fancy cheeses (one soft and one hard at least), french bread, almonds, dates and figs all from costco. Cut it all up, put it out on a couple wood cutting boards, add some sort of olives or pickles (banana peppers is my usual, but that's not from the co). Give them all little plates.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Frozen cream puffs/eclairs
Spanikopita
Mini quiches

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
I dont know if I would get another Costco tree. They are pre-tied down so you cant tell what you are really getting. Mine is oddly shaped and has lots of weird spaces.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Frozen cream puffs/eclairs
Spanikopita
Mini quiches

And also the frozen taquitos.

The fact of it is that Costco food is so recognizable at this point that you're not going to wow anybody with it. It's going to be aggressively mediocre and nothing else. If that's what you're going for, that's fine. You can stretch this out a little bit by getting frozen stuff that you heat in the oven, but things like the party platter of pinwheel wraps and sandwiches is going to cause the food at your party to be adequate at best.

It's not that they're bad, but we've all had them a thousand times over and nobody's impressed by them. It's fine for a lazy and easy get together, but if I'm hosting superbowl or a labor day party then I'm going to buy Costco burgers and steaks and do the actual cooking myself.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The pinwheels loving suck please stop bringing them to parties

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Prepackaged frozen food is almost always mediocre at best. Easy though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

luchajones posted:

I dont know if I would get another Costco tree. They are pre-tied down so you cant tell what you are really getting. Mine is oddly shaped and has lots of weird spaces.

I'm fro Oregon and I am not sure if I have ever seen Costco selling christmas trees. Since Oregon supplies more christmas trees for export than any other state, we have an abundance of fresh trees. I just go to the U-cut farm with my kids every year, and there trees last a lot longer if you cut them yourself and get them right into water when you get home.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

therobit posted:

I'm fro Oregon and I am not sure if I have ever seen Costco selling christmas trees. Since Oregon supplies more christmas trees for export than any other state, we have an abundance of fresh trees. I just go to the U-cut farm with my kids every year, and there trees last a lot longer if you cut them yourself and get them right into water when you get home.

There's no trees in suburbia my friend.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

luchajones posted:

Just bring a knife and pop them yourself. I do this at HD and whatver big box place sell trees. The employees don't care because if you didn't do it they would have to do it for another customer anyways.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FCKGW posted:

There's no trees in suburbia my friend.

:sad:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
$25 off whole, prime, NY strip loins, sale ends today.

That's a pretty good deal.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I just got the last Brondel Swash CL950 at the Issaquah warehouse for $240.
Gonna have a sparkly clean rear end for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Meydey posted:

I just got the last Brondel Swash CL950 at the Issaquah warehouse for $240.
Gonna have a sparkly clean rear end for Christmas.

Hell yes you are. They are amazing.