Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Well, I've bought my first new car in over 15 years. Now I need to learn how to wash a car correctly as the last time I hand washed a car was a single bucket with a sponge at least a decade ago.

Watched the ammo and chemical guys vids. Also, there's a chem guys store near me, so I stopped in.

Is their stuff acceptable? I know everyone has their opinions on whose stuff is best, but will their stuff generally get the job done? The lady there helped me out a lot, but told me to return this weekend for black Friday prices.

Also, what do I put on the factory polymer hood decal to protect it? It's a Grand Cherokee trailhawk and they have a matte black hood applique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm really happy with all the product I've gotten from them so far. (most of my kit at this point)

I've got their foam gun soap, bug/tar remover soap, interior hard surface cleaner, carpet/upholstery cleaner, clay bar lube, after wash, butter wax, jet shine sealant, all in one sealant wax polish (this goes on really nice), microfiber cleaner (for the laundry), plastic sealant/restorer/polish (also works really nicely).
The scent kit is good too. (Stripper scent is creepily accurate).

Edit: Clay not wax

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 22, 2018

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Thanks for the input. Theres a detail garage near me and the main store is kinda near my work. At this stage, I need someone to talk me through it, but not upsell me. Seemed like she was recommending only what I needed.

Stripper scent was the first one I asked to sample. Dark frost smelled like the 90s. I liked morning wood, but forgot to sample leather and coffee.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Well, I've bought my first new car in over 15 years. Now I need to learn how to wash a car correctly as the last time I hand washed a car was a single bucket with a sponge at least a decade ago.

Watched the ammo and chemical guys vids. Also, there's a chem guys store near me, so I stopped in.

Is their stuff acceptable? I know everyone has their opinions on whose stuff is best, but will their stuff generally get the job done? The lady there helped me out a lot, but told me to return this weekend for black Friday prices.

Also, what do I put on the factory polymer hood decal to protect it? It's a Grand Cherokee trailhawk and they have a matte black hood applique.

There are better stuff for the price. I'm biased against CC though, partly because their cringy/rear end in a top hat marketing (Who names a product "Stripper scent"..) but also their over the top specialty products. "THIS WAX IS FOR THE FRONT NEAR SIDE PANEL, YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO USE NORMAL WAX HERE". I'm kidding, but it's not for from it.

Much depends on your budget, commitment (this can be a rabbit-hole) and wash facilities.
Reddits /r/autodetailing has a good wiki that makes specific beginner kit recommendations etc. This will put you light-years ahead of the "average Joe scratch-a-lot" at the nearest wash-bay.

A good rule of thumb is that less is more. You don't need tons of different products for different parts of the car exterior/interior. I use 2 chemicals for my maintenance wash, a rinse-less wash and a spray wax to aid in drying the car as well as adding a layer of protection.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

A good rule of thumb is that less is more. You don't need tons of different products for different parts of the car exterior/interior. I use 2 chemicals for my maintenance wash, a rinse-less wash and a spray wax to aid in drying the car as well as adding a layer of protection.

Not that we needed all that for one washing, but once you get locked into a serious detailing collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Oh I've spent way more on products that's I've never finished than I'd want to admit. I also use more products when I do decon washes and so on. As a newbie it's very easy to get sold on all these products and get carried away, so if money is a big factor it's nice to know that you don't need it to do a good wash.

But it's a hobby and I like trying products, so I don't mind spending some on it. I'll say though that I find rinseless washes pretty enjoyable. Meg's D114 is an amazing product. I'm amazed every time I see it remove all dirt in one wipe, and depending on dilution it's everything from a panel wipe to a light cleaner. Xpress synthetic wax is also amazing and can be used on everything except fabric, interior and exterior.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh I've spent way more on products that's I've never finished than I'd want to admit. I also use more products when I do decon washes and so on. As a newbie it's very easy to get sold on all these products and get carried away, so if money is a big factor it's nice to know that you don't need it to do a good wash.

But it's a hobby and I like trying products, so I don't mind spending some on it. I'll say though that I find rinseless washes pretty enjoyable. Meg's D114 is an amazing product. I'm amazed every time I see it remove all dirt in one wipe, and depending on dilution it's everything from a panel wipe to a light cleaner. Xpress synthetic wax is also amazing and can be used on everything except fabric, interior and exterior.

I love the after-wash from ChemGuys but I need to find a different spray bottle. The bottle it came in seemed to spray really finely and also not use a lot of product. i dropped it and broke the sprayer and the rest of my generic spray bottles seem to deliver far too much product for my needs.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks again. Yeah, I'm not looking to too far beyond wash, wax, polish. I'm not going to car shows. I agree some of their poo poo is cringey, but it is nice walking into a store and putting my hands on stuff.

Also, I just looked at a mitt I just bought from meguiars. I guess their corporate hq is here by me too. But it looks like they aren't open to the public. :(

E: But it does look like detailing.com's showroom is right by me. Hooray!

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 22, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Thanks again. Yeah, I'm not looking to too far beyond wash, wax, polish. I'm not going to car shows. I agree some of their poo poo is cringey, but it is nice walking into a store and putting my hands on stuff.

Also, I just looked at a mitt I just bought from meguiars. I guess their corporate hq is here by me too. But it looks like they aren't open to the public. :(

In that case, get whichever of their soaps you like the best (I have mr pink), the All-In-One polish/sealant/wax, 2 buckets, and a grit guard for each. (And a bajillion microfiber towels on sale)
If you want to go a little hard, add a clay bar and a bottle of clay lube.

Edit: for a general reminder of a good way to do things is the Master Guide PDF from Ammo.
https://www.ammonyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/AMMO_cleanChart_V3.pdf

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Grab some decent soap for the outside some apc for the inside and some carpro Hydro2 to seal. I live in a rainforest and have to wash and seal my car in the rain 9 times out of 10. Pretty much the easiest on off sealant I've found.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Sup, neighbor? :cool: Detailing.com is my favorite store and they have 20% off this weekend. I'd get:

- Nanoskin clay sponge or towel
- Optimum No Rinse, to be used as a clay lube and quick detailer
- Soap of your choice (anything they sell there will work)
- Optimum OptiSeal sealant
- Adam's VRT for tires/exterior plastic (I like it because it's water based instead of silicone based and Adam's makes a nice applicator as well)
- 303 Aerospace Protectant for interior plastic

They have some spray sealants that contain ceramics (Gyeon CanCoat or Gtechnic C2V3) if you want to try that route as well instead of the OptiSeal. They won't be any harder to apply than the OptiSeal. And they carry a bunch of full on Ceramic coatings as well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

There are better stuff for the price. I'm biased against CC though, partly because their cringy/rear end in a top hat marketing (Who names a product "Stripper scent"..)

It's actually a pretty apt name for it

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thanks Goat. Went to the detailer.com store today and told the lady I was a newbie. Showed her my truck and the matte factory hood sticker. Also told her I don't like oily/sheeny/super shiny tires and trim.

Walked out with:

Sonax wheel cleaner
Optimum Opti bond tire gel
Adams ultra foam
Adams detail spray
Adams matte spray
P&S bead maker paint protectant
303 multi surface cleaner
303 aerospace protectant
Mother's revision glass and surface cleaner
Misc supplies like grit guards and applicators

I felt like she wasn't trying to push more product than what I needed. The chemical guys lady appeared to be pushing products that I don't need at this point as I'm not ready to strip, wax, clay, etc.

Is it really important to wash these towels in special microfiber laundry detergent? I know to wash them separately.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 25, 2018

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Is it really important to wash these towels in special microfiber laundry detergent? I know to wash them separately.

I just use a liquid, dye and fragrance free detergent.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Went to the detailer.com store today

Heh, I was just there buying microfiber detergent today. I got Micro-Restore, which was recommended by a towel vendor. I have issues with my towels not being absorbant after washing, but that might be a water issue.

Remember not to wash your drying towels and wax towels together.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Sounds like a good start. 303 Aerospace Protectant is very good for all rubber and plastics, and Beadmaker very quickly won over Matt from Obsessed garage, so must be good. I just wash my towels with normal liquid detergent without any softeners. I've found that my rinseless wash product is amazing for cleaning my towels. They come out 100% clean after a quick low heat speed cycle, after using them for rinseless washes. Might try it with just that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do I need something for UV protection over a ceramic coating? I'm wondering if I should try P&S bead maker on top of the coating, assuming I ever get around to polishing the car and actually coating it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What can I put on wheels to prevent Hawk DTC dust (cancer) from sticking to them once it gets wet?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

What can I put on wheels to prevent Hawk DTC dust (cancer) from sticking to them once it gets wet?

Wheel Wax.

Chem Guys
https://www.chemicalguys.com/Wheel_Guard_Max_Coat_Rim_Wheel_Sealant_8_oz_p/wac_303.htm

Ammo:
https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/gelee-wheel-protectant/

note: these will all help, not prevent.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 26, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Will it melt if it sees over a few hundred degrees? :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Will it melt if it sees over a few hundred degrees? :v:

Larry uses the Gelee on his track 918 so.....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sold. Thank you :)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Stupid newbie anecdote. Bought Amazon microfiber towels. Didn't notice they were cleaning cloths. Tried to dry a Grand Cherokee with a dozen 12" MF cloths with almost no fluff.

Soooo bought two giant rag company MF car drying towels on Amazon. I guess I now have plenty of interior and glass cleaning MF towels.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of towels, I really like Kirkland towels as they do the job and don't cost a ton, so it's easy to justify actually using them on dirtier parts. I know some of the elitists look down on them, but then again Jim from White Details use them, and Larry from Ammo is rumored to be using them, but different color. Good enough for them = good enough for me. Only bad part is storing all those drat towels. I still have some Eagle Edgeless towels and other random "good" towels. Still use my Kirkland ones 90% of the time.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have so many towels.
I do love/live by Larry's advice of color coding them to prevent cross contamination.

Yellow - interior
Blue - glass
White - trim/plastic/rubber/wheels
Light blue - polish/wax
Giant sized gold - drying

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm thinking of getting all new towels because I never kept track of what I used on what, and they've all been washed together multiple times (and dried using dryer sheets if someone other than me washes them). Is there a good "i'm starting over" pack of towels out there? Preferably not $300 of towels made from hand fed alpacas from ammo or whatever the highest end ones are.

*edit* I don't have a costco membership but if the Kirkland ones are worth it I can have a friend pick them up

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Costco ones are great since they're like $0.50 a pop and decent quality, as with anything Costco they comes in a big pack.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm thinking of getting all new towels because I never kept track of what I used on what, and they've all been washed together multiple times (and dried using dryer sheets if someone other than me washes them). Is there a good "i'm starting over" pack of towels out there? Preferably not $300 of towels made from hand fed alpacas from ammo or whatever the highest end ones are.

*edit* I don't have a costco membership but if the Kirkland ones are worth it I can have a friend pick them up

I used the Kirkland ones for everything. I think there's a point of diminishing returns, and separate towels for different products is past my point of concern. The yellow Kirklands are fine for all points of the detailing process, imo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Well it looks like I can give my friend $18 and have them pick up a 36 pack of towels at Costco, or buy some from Autogeek at a minimum of $3/towel, so Costco it is. I've purchased cheaper ones from Autozone and for whatever reason some of them just seemed lovely and not very absorbent.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

All of mine are from The Rag Company and they have all kinds of outstanding microfibers for any need basically. They are on the higher end of the pricing spectrum but not quite extreme pricing, for the quality I think it's well worth the cost. What I like to do is wait for the sales and buy the clearance/blowout stuff, usually works great around the holidays or right after. Get 5-10 at a time when a sale pops up and after a year you have enough to last you quite a while.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

100% Dundee posted:

The Rag Company...What I like to do is wait for the sales and buy the clearance/blowout stuff, usually works great around the holidays or right after. Get 5-10 at a time when a sale pops up and after a year you have enough to last you quite a while.

This. I started with the Costco to hold me over while I built up Rag Company towels. Once you get some more absorbent towels you won’t go back.

I still have the Costco ones, and use them for wheels, door jambs, and interior. TRC towels are strictly paint now

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
You can put it this way - it's probably easier to gently caress up with the Kirklands if you don't know what you are doing, they probably won't last as long and the individual quality will vary. TRC towels generally will be safer, probably last longer and not have the variance. Though I bought some red clones of them off Aliexpress that feel, look and (probably) weigh exactly the same, but cost a fraction of the price so meh.

The best thing IMO is how you can just let the Kirklands trickle down for different jobs. As soon as mine get lovely from being washed to often, or won't get 100% clean they are interior/door jamb/etc cleaner. Then they are for engine, then wheels, then they don't get washed anymore and become that rag that just gets used over and over to clean random messy poo poo in the garage.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I have some wheels I need to polish up. The Zephyr kit seems to be pretty popular but I'm looking for alternatives that might be cheaper than $80 if possible - any recommendations?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

What's the go-to headlight polishing kit these days?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
What are the best clay and clay like things (nanoskin, towels etc) for using on a vehicle that I don’t plan to polish. I’d like to do a small amount of decontamination in the future to help sealants bond better, but I’d like to skip polishing.

Would a fine clay be alright to prevent marring assuming enough lube? Anyone have thoughts on nanoskin mitts or clay towels?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wallaka posted:

Depending on how bad something like this:

https://meguiars.ca/product/heavy-d...rd=&matchtype=b

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wallaka posted:

I like the 3M, and bonus when it's at Harbor Freight and you have a 20% off coupon.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

dphi posted:

I have some wheels I need to polish up. The Zephyr kit seems to be pretty popular but I'm looking for alternatives that might be cheaper than $80 if possible - any recommendations?

I've used a cheapo kit from the Auto body supplier, and wasn't very happy with the results. It came with a red and white rouge and drill bit attachments so it was tedious as well. I'd spring for the zephyr kit and the wheels that go on an angle grinder.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Bought a chemical guys hose foam cannon and tried it out. Works much better than the small garden sprayer I had. I think I have all my basic stuff since I finally bought a proper big drying towel. Dried most of my suv then switched to a small towel for the small spots. Had to wash off the rare socal rain from last two days.

Dumb question, how important is it for the undercarriage spray in a ocean air only environment? I tried to do it, but it was hard to tell if I got the whole underside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I am not good at detailing - I don't have the patience for it, and have never had a nice enough vehicle to really care about it. However, I just bought a new GTI, and in the interest of keeping it nice for as long as possible took it to a local dealer for paint correction + Opticoat Pro Plus treatment. The results?

I'm blown away. Also, he poured a bit of water on it and it just ran off and felt dry. Craziness.