Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has Universal's Marx Brother Silver Screen Collection for only $14.99 - for the next few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJKAKS/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup all from new 4K restorations. While the quality isn't perfect because the surviving elements were in rough shape, they blow away all previous editions. Plus, Animal Crackers is the original 1930 cut instead of the re-release version, so it has some good pre-code bits.

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

There's a cheap Blu-ray from Fox:
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Ti...time+in+america

It has the 229 min "international" cut on one disc (same as Warner's disc) and then newer 251 min cut on the other. However, all the extra footage came from workprint trims, so the picture quality for those parts is terrible. They also subdued the color on the bulk of the film compared to the earlier disc. The 251 min cut is from a 4K master while the other is 2K. Both have DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=105558&position=12

It's clear they did what they could, but it would have made far more sense to just do a 4K remaster of the 3 1/2 hr cut and include the deleted scenes as an extra.

Dammit, I looked everywhere on blu-ray.com and didn't find it. Serves me right for going mobile I guess.

e: Grabbed that, a few Australian film crit books that only appear on Amazon US, and the Kino edition of Duck You Sucker. My Leone collection is filling out nicely.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 26, 2018

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

I am asking this here because I have a million dollars and looking to spend it. I want to own two copies of each Hangover film.

Are you in some kind of Brewster's Millions situation?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Twin Cinema posted:

I am interested in how he plans on shipping this.

Media mail!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley's Cyber Monday sale is live:
https://www.flickeralley.com

Additional 20% off code: CYBERMON2018

It's not a huge discount, but it's a good deal considering they're a small label that puts out some amazing content.

Highlights of their catalog:

Melies Fairy Tales in Color - Georges Melies hand-tinted films restored in 4K
This is Cinerama - first modern widescreen feature
The Lost World (1925) - Most complete version, even has an orchestral score
Early Women Filmmakers (only one film overlap with Kino's new set)
Too Late for Tears - great noir
Masterpieces of American Avant-Garde - One of my favorite Blu-rays ever, worth it just for N.Y., N.Y.
3-D Rarities - 2 1/2 hours of rare pre-60s 3-D shorts.
The Mack Sennett Collection - 3-disc set of 50 comedies, some from the only surviving print in the world.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 26, 2018

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Some codes for anyone who wants them. Please reply if you grab any of these.

Batman v Superman
wb.com/redeemdigital - TWM6T7X7BFX4

Alien Covenant
FoxRedeem.com - 4VVSW2ES2YFXYMS7

Blade Runner 2049
wb.com/redeemdigital - Q7MTFJQYCTFM

Once Upon A Time In America (people were just talking about this lol)
FoxRedeem.com - 4N7V4KFPFR23RBS4

Warcraft
UPHE.com/Redeem - JJEREKMAJ64J

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Grabbed Alien: Covenant, thanks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had a good time going through Best Buy and grabbing UHD movies for $10 and under. Mostly because it's crap I probably wouldn't buy at full price, but hey gently caress it now I own a copy of the modern classic Air Force One.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Grabbed Once Upon A Time In 'Merica, thanks muchly

Basebf555 posted:

I had a good time going through Best Buy and grabbing UHD movies for $10 and under. Mostly because it's crap I probably wouldn't buy at full price, but hey gently caress it now I own a copy of the modern classic Air Force One.

Used to have a widescreen VHS tape and a Korean VCD of this masterpiece. Bet the ending CG looks amazing in 4K.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

:( My best buy was pretty picked clean when I dropped by. I did buy the Nolan Batmans, which I did the math on, and I saved $5 buying them individually vs in the box set.

Lucky Jim
Jul 5, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Snagged Blade Runner. Thanks man.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Batman v Superman
wb.com/redeemdigital - TWM6T7X7BFX4

Alien Covenant
FoxRedeem.com - 4VVSW2ES2YFXYMS7

Blade Runner 2049
wb.com/redeemdigital - Q7MTFJQYCTFM

Once Upon A Time In America (people were just talking about this lol)
FoxRedeem.com - 4N7V4KFPFR23RBS4

Warcraft
UPHE.com/Redeem - JJEREKMAJ64J

Grabbed Batman V Superman and Warcraft, thanks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Bet the ending CG looks amazing in 4K.

Not as bad as I was expecting actually. It looked very bad already and it's not really worse in UHD, certainly not improved though.

Still, it benefits from being a 90's movie that actually feels like a 90's movie when you watch the UHD. Very obviously shot on film, and yet the HDR still gives a lot of the colors a nice boost(lots of airplane lights of various colors, computer screens, the costumes of the various people in the Situation Room, etc.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

This is how it starts and then next thing you know you're listing a video store's worth of discs on ebay for a million dollars.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
The Bergman box is, uh, extremely large.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
For anyone that's still wavering about getting the 4K They Live set:

Outer box

Booklet

Poster

Art cards

Discs come in this

4K disc

Blu-Ray disc

Special Features

OST

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

For anyone that's still wavering about getting the 4K They Live set:

Outer box

Booklet

Poster

Art cards

Discs come in this

4K disc

Blu-Ray disc

Special Features

OST

I just bought the Shout Factory steelbook. :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I just bought the Shout Factory steelbook. :(

The Fog and Escape From New York are getting the same treatment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I have those too, and Escape replaced an older Blu-Ray :suicide101:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vagabundo posted:

Well god damnit, I got the EfNY steelbook recently.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I have those too, and Escape replaced an older Blu-Ray :suicide101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIibPq6fDjM

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That release of They Live looks loving bonkers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I recently spent $7 on a steelbook case for my copy of The Matrix. As in, I had the UHD with the regular plastic case, so I actually spent the money to buy a cheap blu ray of the movie solely for the steelbook, the disc inside was immediately removed and put in a bin in my closet.

What can I say, I wasn't gonna have the original all-time great Matrix film sitting there in a lovely plastic case while the two lesser sequels are right next to it in steelbooks, that's just not right!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My Blu-ray of The Matrix is in like a book. Not a steelbook but a book book. The sequels are in some combined release double-pack single-thickness case. Seems right.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aren't the new Carpenter steelbooks from the new 4K remasters anyway?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Scream Factory steelbooks use the same transfers as their old discs. The new sets that Studio Canal put out have new transfers that look far better than what Scream Factory released. I have The Fog and They Live, both look stunning. I only checked out a little bit of They Live, but watched the entirety of The Fog, and it's absolutely beautiful. I have the new Studio Canal releases for Escape from New York and Prince of Darkness coming from Amazon UK, cannot wait. Region B, so you need a modified player if you're in America. These are the definitive releases for these films.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Looks like the steelbook for The Thing is a new 4K remaster along with Halloween II and III. I thought it was all of 'em. Bummah.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there a blu-ray of the Matrix with the original color grading?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

Is there a blu-ray of the Matrix with the original color grading?

Not that I know of. There's a reason I've hung onto my original DVD all these years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there a fan edit of The Matrix that restores the original color grading like the fan edits of the Star Wars original trilogy? Or would there not be a higher quality source to work from?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

Not that I know of. There's a reason I've hung onto my original DVD all these years.

But wasn't the original DVD the start of people complaining about the grading? The theatrical release wasn't as green as it was when the home releases came out.

The Hidef Digest review indicates that the UHD release recently is new, and better, and even the blu-ray that comes in the pack benefits rather than being an old disc:

quote:

Also, I'd argue this new master looks much closer to the film's original theatrical presentation and less like the Reloaded/Revolutions green-everywhere color grading that was a bit like that first Fellowship of the Ring Blu-ray.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

But wasn't the original DVD the start of people complaining about the grading? The theatrical release wasn't as green as it was when the home releases came out.

It was the re-released DVD that came out with the sequels that was tuned to be greener than a Ninja Turtle. The original DVD only has the slight green tint on the in-Matrix scenes, which was there in the theater, it's just that people didn't notice it until they watched it 50 times on their first DVD players.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there a fan edit of The Matrix that restores the original color grading like the fan edits of the Star Wars original trilogy? Or would there not be a higher quality source to work from?

Yes, there's a "Theatrical Colors Edition" out there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

It was the re-released DVD that came out with the sequels that was tuned to be greener than a Ninja Turtle. The original DVD only has the slight green tint on the in-Matrix scenes, which was there in the theater, it's just that people didn't notice it until they watched it 50 times on their first DVD players.

I'm guessing the original DVD is that one with the cardboard case with the plastic snap thing. That's what I have. Admittedly I haven't watched it in years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea absolutely, the new UHD takes care of the color problem almost completely, at least in my opinion. The Matrix still has a bit of a green tint but other colors are allowed to shine through, it's not completely awash in green at all times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

Yeah it probably didn't help that non-calibrated, cheap CRT TVs couldn't reproduce the effect in a subtle way. I remember seeing it on VHS and it looked like rear end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

I'm guessing the original DVD is that one with the cardboard case with the plastic snap thing. That's what I have. Admittedly I haven't watched it in years.

Yep, I got it for Christmas in 1999. It's scratched to hell and back, though, because my first DVD player was a piece of poo poo that wrecked a ton of my discs.

Man, WB took loving forever to stop using those snapper cases. I have way too many of them on my shelves.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ultraviolence123 posted:

The Scream Factory steelbooks use the same transfers as their old discs. The new sets that Studio Canal put out have new transfers that look far better than what Scream Factory released. I have The Fog and They Live, both look stunning. I only checked out a little bit of They Live, but watched the entirety of The Fog, and it's absolutely beautiful. I have the new Studio Canal releases for Escape from New York and Prince of Darkness coming from Amazon UK, cannot wait. Region B, so you need a modified player if you're in America. These are the definitive releases for these films.
Oh poo poo, that super-cool version of They Live is region B? Nevermind then...

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, that super-cool version of They Live is region B? Nevermind then...

Shouldn't the UHD disc in the set at least be region free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FancyMike posted:

Shouldn't the UHD disc in the set at least be region free?
Yeah but then I'd need a 4K TV and 4K player. :(