Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah I kept thinking about asking about that, cause in what world are "progressives" at all sad by a loving TERF getting canned and the rear end kissing for gab too.

I was just reading that thread and the replies over and over like "Wait, what??? :thunk:"

That's not praise for Gab, because I've also seen them highlight/mock Gab for being a pit of racists and assholes. I think they were pointing out that the 'labeling debate as hatred' is the kind of rhetoric you'd hear from Gab users.

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, keep it up dude, way easier to just slam a link than to screenshot stuff, after all. Plus it keeps everyone on the same page when you've literally got a source included in your post about what you're talking about.

I usually try to post a direct link if I can, since it occurs to me that you could fake a screenshot of a tweet, and it allows you to link to the replies and whatnot.

It's Lowtax's fault for enabling it so you embed tweets! It's so damned convenient. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

I usually try to post a direct link if I can, since it occurs to me that you could fake a screenshot of a tweet, and it allows you to link to the replies and whatnot.

It's Lowtax's fault for enabling it so you embed tweets! It's so damned convenient. :argh:

It's best practices to also screenshot because sometimes people come to their senses and delete dumb tweets.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

That's not praise for Gab, because I've also seen them highlight/mock Gab for being a pit of racists and assholes. I think they were pointing out that the 'labeling debate as hatred' is the kind of rhetoric you'd hear from Gab users.

See I sort of thought that at first too until I reread it closer and had the "Wait, what are they actually saying here?", but then going through even their most recent poo poo, they're circlejerking about the people reporting "camgirls" to the IRS and other typical :mrapig: sentiments, along with the people commenting and agreeing with what they were saying in that first post being mostly similar scum.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That innuendo studios is basically the stereotype right wingers think social justice people are.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
call yourself dr dogfucker and suddenly everyone thinks your videos are about loving dogs, fuckin sjw media man tryin to take a small businessman down...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SatansBestBuddy posted:

how the hell is plinkett not condescending?

Plinkett the joke is "we are terrible and why are you watching this", loving things up so that they can express their opinions without superiority.

I've noticed a lot of video channels imitating things directly from the videos so that they don't take too superior a town (monotone list reading, cutting mid sentence, lifted jokes). Early hbomberguy was like this, which makes sense as a counter to alt right videos he was talking about.

And nyx fears videos were like them a lot. She went from that to a robot that directly mocked her during reviews. She's recently gone on record with coming out that she was basically bullying herself back then.

I can see it. Tim and Eric skits have a similar anti humor but turned up. I used to watch them when I was having a lot more trouble with depression because I thought I was using them to handle my depression with humor. The joke to me, partially, was that the incredibly lovely look and feel of the skits was me. This is how I felt I came off to everyone. Had to stop.

So basically, maybe he seems condescending to you, but I think that viewers like myself and people who started youtubing because of him got the opposite idea.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 26, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/1066770860164435969
https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/1066771849181347841

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/25/debate-ends-when-we-label-views-we-disagree-with-us-hatred

I skimmed through the replies of those tweets, but I didn't see him make a correction. I did a search for Joe on his feed, and found this exchange:

https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031914981883822082
https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031915632982417408
https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031919620695961602
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031924156017860608
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031924922967310336

I've only watched a couple of things from Inneundo Studios; his video on Bastion (which I don't remember much of), and his defense video of Phil Fish, which I think ironically preceded Fish's infamous departure from game development.

Danskin seems like kinda of a dick who just makes assumptions about people who don’t do videos the exact way dan skin prefers. Like he is right about Yahtzee. But joe isn’t really angry most of the time and plinket is a mockery of that kinda poo poo plus they only do it like once a year.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Twitter announced a few days ago that intention misgendering is grounds for punishment, which is why terfs are all cranky now.

Of course, people still eat suspensions for calling people terfs, so it remains to be seen how consistently the rule will be followed, if at all.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/1066770860164435969
https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/1066771849181347841

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/25/debate-ends-when-we-label-views-we-disagree-with-us-hatred

I skimmed through the replies of those tweets, but I didn't see him make a correction. I did a search for Joe on his feed, and found this exchange:

https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031914981883822082
https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031915632982417408
https://twitter.com/snakebitcat/status/1031919620695961602
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031924156017860608
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031924922967310336

I've only watched a couple of things from Inneundo Studios; his video on Bastion (which I don't remember much of), and his defense video of Phil Fish, which I think ironically preceded Fish's infamous departure from game development.

Looks like the condescending white man was inside him all along

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thread(1/245): Why laughter is most often derisive and condescending, the case for solemn fandom and graceful critique

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Still, it's absolutely bullshit that Angry Joe is trapped in a hellscape of his viewerbase but AVGN was able to just shift from hardrage skits to just toning things down without that corner of Youtube exploding in the process.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

thread(1/245): Why laughter is most often derisive and condescending, the case for solemn fandom and graceful critique

yeah, i hate that line of argumentation. like yeah, there should be more indepth type critics and stuff, but that doesn't make plinkett/Yahtzee/joe bad and not worth existing. different strokes and all that.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

She, brah.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
fixed.
I should avoid posting first thing I wake up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm picturing everyone glued to the SB Nation YouTube profile while critics are just dumping their stuff before the Bois and Biederman juggernaut bursts in all week.

First episode got released!

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1067118646688927745?s=20

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 26, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Still, it's absolutely bullshit that Angry Joe is trapped in a hellscape of his viewerbase but AVGN was able to just shift from hardrage skits to just toning things down without that corner of Youtube exploding in the process.

James having very little public social media presence probably helped.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
An excellent, if uncomfortable video from Pedantic Romanic explaining the origins of the term "trap", why it's considered a slur and even providing a bunch of terms that are actually respectful of cross-dressing characters that don't identify as trans.

Content warnings needless to say, and don't read the comments.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also he's still being angry wtf are you talking about

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Danskin seems like kinda of a dick who just makes assumptions about people who don’t do videos the exact way dan skin prefers. Like he is right about Yahtzee. But joe isn’t really angry most of the time and plinket is a mockery of that kinda poo poo plus they only do it like once a year.
It doesn't matter that Joe, in specific, often makes videos that are not-shouty. He is still clearly part of, contributing to, and indeed foundational in the YouTube Shouty Angry Video Game Man genre.

Ditto the fact that James Rolf has diversified his emotional pallet to include "mild bemusement" and "respectful reflection" doesn't change the fact that he staked his claim as The Angry Nintendo Nerd.

You're doing that thing where someone makes a point about a trend and ecosystem and you counter with pedantic example of why specific examples aren't a metallurgically pure reference sample.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm angry at this argument

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m trying to figure out why it matters if he’s angry. Angry yelling is a cornerstone of YouTube that doesn’t just belong to white people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

It doesn't matter that Joe, in specific, often makes videos that are not-shouty. He is still clearly part of, contributing to, and indeed foundational in the YouTube Shouty Angry Video Game Man genre.

Ditto the fact that James Rolf has diversified his emotional pallet to include "mild bemusement" and "respectful reflection" doesn't change the fact that he staked his claim as The Angry Nintendo Nerd.

You're doing that thing where someone makes a point about a trend and ecosystem and you counter with pedantic example of why specific examples aren't a metallurgically pure reference sample.

i guess what i am trying to figure out is why does it matter if those people do there own thing if they arnt hurting anyone. yeah, some like doug walker are giant shitstains and there should be much more nuanced and deep critics and thankfully, there is a growing amount of them out there including yourself. i guess i feel there is room enough for both kinds to exist and why care what the other type does.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

"hi I'm Horny Bob"

"No guys he's not horny all the time, he does other things"

I mean the Nostalgia Critic hasn't been critiquing things that are nostalgic actually that didn't need to be finished.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

I mean the Nostalgia Critic hasn't been critiquing things that are nostalgic actually that didn't need to be finished.

no but he is trapped in a Sisyphean hell of his own making which is nice.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

An excellent, if uncomfortable video from Pedantic Romanic explaining the origins of the term "trap", why it's considered a slur and even providing a bunch of terms that are actually respectful of cross-dressing characters that don't identify as trans.

This is a good video.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

This is good poo poo. Trans representation is good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mokinokaro posted:

James having very little public social media presence probably helped.

It also helps that AVGN was original, funny and good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Biomute posted:

It also helps that AVGN was original, funny and good.

well he was THE original of that field. like you and others have said he is also a pretty funny and good dude. he views this as fun hobby that also pays the bills and he is genuinely passionate about movies and the horror genre. his wizard of oz retrospectives are interesting too.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Late oughts hyperbolic critics is a weird thing to tilt at divorced from cultural context. If your choices in media are

and someone who's willing to admit that what you're consuming has flaws, there's going to be an audience for the latter. You can make up for a lot of nuance and presentation by being the only person who sounds like a human. People want (and are better served by) a subjective reaction rather than a number between 7 and 10 determined by the size of the marketing budget and a Keynesian beauty contest.

People like Yahtzee aren't very funny or very insightful now that they're no longer big fish in a small pond. But thinking of them as some kind of cultural rot is weird as hell.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ehhhh I'm not really buying that since the bulk of Yelling Internet Man videos were aimed specifically at low-hanging fruit like blockbuster bombs or cheaply made video game adaptations. Rolfe did it because he had a love for making films and video games, but for a lot of other people it was just real easy to produce a video where feign outrage that Bad Thing is Bad.

I guess the difference is that these types of videos were rarely critiques in the same way as you'd expect from a game or film critic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
LGR talking about Fallout 76

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Microcline posted:

Late oughts hyperbolic critics is a weird thing to tilt at divorced from cultural context. If your choices in media are

and someone who's willing to admit that what you're consuming has flaws, there's going to be an audience for the latter. You can make up for a lot of nuance and presentation by being the only person who sounds like a human. People want (and are better served by) a subjective reaction rather than a number between 7 and 10 determined by the size of the marketing budget and a Keynesian beauty contest.

People like Yahtzee aren't very funny or very insightful now that they're no longer big fish in a small pond. But thinking of them as some kind of cultural rot is weird as hell.

the thing with yahtzee is he has a very niche type of games he likes, (mostly weird/different indie stuff) and if its not that, he usualy doesn't care for it. there is nothing wrong with that but it kinda makes his videos samey, plus he has kinda acted himself into a corner so he has to dislike everything. but like you said, he isn't very popular anymore. his act got old and he keeps doing it because escapist keeps tossing money at him. that being said, his books are funny though, he can be genuinely clever.

but anyway. i will take the YouTube over most of the big review sites. plus youtubers are likely to review stuff more comprehensively then a giant site.

for example Tehsnakerer is really good. he has the mandalor gaming type humor but he pulls apart a game and talk about themes and mechanics and how they intersect.

he is actually one of the few people who did a big video on Huntdown the freeman that wasn't just "lol it is fart bad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2DZaQgGcI

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
About Yahtzee, I have to admit this and it probably makes me a bad goon, I actually think he's got genuine comedy chops or at least did in his earlier years. I remember he'd do things like specifically make an accusation towards 'Adrian' in one of his videos just to gently caress with random people with that name that I thought was a good gag. I don't like his connections to some of the underbelly of 'gaming' culture but I think when he put the effort in he can be pretty funny without being totally 'gently caress THIS GAME!'. Zero Punctuation hasn't really evolved in any way though and I get the impression he's more interested in writing books these days while ZP is a reliable earner.

Anyway, I don't know if he's talked about much, but in light of things like Innuendo Studios acting like a bit of a prick I want to recommend T1J:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qthm4yAeo0

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Anyway, I don't know if he's talked about much, but in light of things like Innuendo Studios acting like a bit of a prick I want to recommend T1J:

T1J's good work and his video here on America being the greatest country in the world is real solid.

Also Innuendo Studios acting like a prick in this instance and dying on this Angry hill is the only time I can think of where he acted a foo' and he's usually pretty great and insightful and each video he makes is golden.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DoubleCakes posted:

T1J's good work and his video here on America being the greatest country in the world is real solid.

Also Innuendo Studios acting like a prick in this instance and dying on this Angry hill is the only time I can think of where he acted a foo' and he's usually pretty great and insightful and each video he makes is golden.

Eh, I've been kind of going off him for a while, like a lot of Breadtube I feel like they might just be increasingly repeating most of their general audience's opinions back too them without much to add.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

About Yahtzee, I have to admit this and it probably makes me a bad goon, I actually think he's got genuine comedy chops or at least did in his earlier years. I remember he'd do things like specifically make an accusation towards 'Adrian' in one of his videos just to gently caress with random people with that name that I thought was a good gag. I don't like his connections to some of the underbelly of 'gaming' culture but I think when he put the effort in he can be pretty funny without being totally 'gently caress THIS GAME!'. Zero Punctuation hasn't really evolved in any way though and I get the impression he's more interested in writing books these days while ZP is a reliable earner.

yeah, he does a couple books for audible now and a bunch of them are pretty funny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Yahtzee’s fine. Goons can’t make a distinction between their own personal opinions and reality.

I haven’t watched his stuff in years but he’s still doing really well.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but anyway. i will take the YouTube over most of the big review sites. plus youtubers are likely to review stuff more comprehensively then a giant site.
Once publishers see the way the wind is blowing (and many already have), I suspect a lot of YouTube channels will be just as compromised as any corporate gaming site. Maybe even worse since a publisher will probably be better equipped to outmaneuver negotiations with a single person/small team than another corporate entity.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean that has already happened, the Youtube personalities (even the yelling nerd ones) described in this thread really are really chump change compared to the sponsored streams that dominate twitch and and much of the real "mainstream" gamer culture. Self employed people making one-off videos of criticism was never going to replace the enthusiast press jobs, and the economic pressure is for content creators to either take on direct corporate sponsorship or struggle running a small business 100% tied to several websites inscrutable algorithms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

personally, i dislike the theory/explain channels more then the funny/"angry" critics.