Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Thanks for the tips all, I'll look into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Inferno-sama posted:

If it were possible, classic Mazinger would work. Gets stats, a couple more attacks and its main upgrade is the Jet Scrander, giving it flight and space capability.

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that the way to make a game with OG1's power curve is to let nothing fly unless it's a terrible jet fighter.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Or a super robot's trashy jet mode you mainly use because it has one extra square of speed.

On the other hand, OG1 had Cybuster.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that the way to make a game with OG1's power curve is to let nothing fly unless it's a terrible jet fighter.

Hold on, you listed Getter Robo Go. It has a flight form. I'd say that Mazinger Z eventually getting the Jet Scrander is allowed, especially since OG1 does give you a few fliers. Weissritter, Cybuster, R-3 Powered...

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I was being hyperbolic. The Gustwing is definitely one of the go-to flying units in OG1; my point is that the reason for this is it's one of only a handful of things that fly at all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still want another post-apoc SRW game.

Well, that's what V was SUPPOSED to be but they gave up on that story gimmick about a fourth of the way through the game.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The new OP reminds me we're really lucky for all the hard work Brunom has put in to their many LPs!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I disagree. I think OG's blows away V and X and also Z3. Z2's are also better I think.
Maybe, except they're not in English so. Unless we're talking about the GB games then uhhhhh, I dunno I'm just going to disagree!

I'd personally just pick one of X or V and go with that. I don't really see any reason to go back to the old games now that we have some actually being translated. If you can get a hold of the fan translated games those are worth a trip though. I think I started "modern" SRW on JP Alpha Gaiden without ever touching Alpha 1 and that was pretty cool.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

HiKaizer posted:

The new OP reminds me we're really lucky for all the hard work Brunom has put in to their many LPs!

Always remember big thanks to Brunom and Hokuto. Hopefully gonna be diving into L soon!

Rascyc posted:

Maybe, except they're not in English so. Unless we're talking about the GB games then uhhhhh, I dunno I'm just going to disagree!

I'd personally just pick one of X or V and go with that. I don't really see any reason to go back to the old games now that we have some actually being translated. If you can get a hold of the fan translated games those are worth a trip though. I think I started "modern" SRW on JP Alpha Gaiden without ever touching Alpha 1 and that was pretty cool.

2ndOGs has the best animations in the series. There's a website you can read for a line by line translation too! But also that's way more effort than just picking up V or X.

I agree though, unless you really like SRW there's no reason to go back, and if you like SRW you've probably already been "back" as it were.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

EthanSteele posted:

2ndOGs has the best animations in the series. There's a website you can read for a line by line translation too! But also that's way more effort than just picking up V or X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcel_KOi4M

This is still the best attack animation in any SRW game ever, for my money. I wanna see Dairaioh so bad. So loving bad.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HiKaizer posted:

Seriously. Shoutouts to Brunom1 for his ridiculous dedication. I just work with text files and spreadsheets. He does screenshots, movie recording, music tracking and linking, the whole nine yards. There's no understating how much work he puts into all of his SRW LPs, and the same goes to Caphi too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Way I see it, V or X are probably the best choices for someone new to the franchise, but if you want to give it a try before investing money in the franchise than J is probably the best choice among the fan translated games as it's modern enough to have bypassed most of the quirks of the earlier parts of the franchise, has decent animations and a pretty decent series list*(even if SEED sticks out like a sore thumb as part of the game's setting), and perhaps most importantly due to being a GBA game it requires almost no effort to get it going

*being a mixture of classics like Mazinger and oddballs like Tekkaman Blade

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 26, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand reinforcement ping pong makes j pretty exhausting to play

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wish any of these would ever get a PC release.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man it would be cool if they had a game where you researched different super robot tech and made your own units with your findings.

Yeah I got a 5 man combining unit made of Super Alloy Z that runs on Getter rays what about it

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'd like a game where the OC was a five pilot Gravion Knockoff.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Know that you bring it up I’m surprised we’ve never had a Combattler/Getter/Gravion style original where it’s a combination of multiple smaller vehicles.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

We already had an OG Gravion knockoff, it was called Compatible Kaiser. :v:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Light Gun Man posted:

Man it would be cool if they had a game where you researched different super robot tech and made your own units with your findings.

Yeah I got a 5 man combining unit made of Super Alloy Z that runs on Getter rays what about it

Minus the combiner aspect isn't this what Mazin Emperor G is supposed to be?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ryoga posted:

Minus the combiner aspect isn't this what Mazin Emperor G is supposed to be?

Just saying an obvious example.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My first thought when I read that was ship development in a 4X strategy game but for anime robots.

edit: or hell just a 4X strategy game where you play the Inspectors or whoever.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

Know that you bring it up I’m surprised we’ve never had a Combattler/Getter/Gravion style original where it’s a combination of multiple smaller vehicles.

The Valguard includes a ship (and a thing with a jet form), and the Valzacard includes an extra of each to be a quad combiner.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I believe there is a series of Japan only games called Azito I think? where you manage an underground tokusatsu/giant robot lab but I have hardly seen any info about them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SRX is a combiner.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I wish any of these would ever get a PC release.

PS2 emulators!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

WrightOfWay posted:

SRX is a combiner.

Not of vehicles, which is what he was after. Unless you count the R-wing, which still leaves R-2 and R-3.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Not of vehicles, which is what he was after. Unless you count the R-wing, which still leaves R-2 and R-3.

Yeah, there have been plenty of robots that combine, but never a bunch of trucks/jets/trains that combine into a big robot. I don’t even think there has been anything like Gaogaigar where a robot has a bunch of auxiliary vehicles attach to it to make a slightly larger robot. That is such a basic super robot design concept that it’s weird they have never used it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Grungust 3 is a tank and a jet. Compatikaiser combines with the G Thunder Gate.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Big Volfogg is a Ferrari, helicopter and motorcycle :smug:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, there have been plenty of robots that combine, but never a bunch of trucks/jets/trains that combine into a big robot. I don’t even think there has been anything like Gaogaigar where a robot has a bunch of auxiliary vehicles attach to it to make a slightly larger robot. That is such a basic super robot design concept that it’s weird they have never used it.

I imagine the reason they don't do a vehicle combiner is they're afraid people wouldn't enjoy playing as just a plane or a tank or whatever, even if it's only for a stage or 2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

on the other hand reinforcement ping pong makes j pretty exhausting to play
yeah but frameskip on an emulator makes it pretty bearable

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Droyer posted:

I imagine the reason they don't do a vehicle combiner is they're afraid people wouldn't enjoy playing as just a plane or a tank or whatever, even if it's only for a stage or 2.

Yeah its the sort of thing where you'd want it for the prologue stage and never again and just deploying autocombined/upgraded so it ends up being work for not much payoff. It'd probably be like Z2 Dancouga Nova with the weaker vehicle having a call in for the rest of the team with a Will gate on combining.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Four Zaku Fiesta sounds dope, but MS Saga and Gundam Breaker are probably the closest you'll be getting any time soon.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I mean the G Generation series is all about researching and upgrading within the Gundam universe. Sadly none are translated.

Or maybe Genesis got an English release?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Getsuya posted:

I mean the G Generation series is all about researching and upgrading within the Gundam universe. Sadly none are translated.

Genesis got an English.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Go full 80's Dancougar. You don't get robots until stage 10.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A Dancouga attack that starts another, smaller SRW map in which you play the components entering the enemy mech and breaking random internals while shooting down security.

That can't have just been Nova, right?

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

I believe G Generation Overworld on the PSP also has an English patch out for it, though since I've never played it I can't speak regarding the actual quality on it or anything.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Go full 80's Dancougar. You don't get robots until stage 10.

God Save(s) the Machine (for halfway through the season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I miss the dancouga combo attack from z2 ;_;