Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

barkbell posted:

new macbook air keyboard is nice
i’m still trying to decide between new mba with max ram and whatever the mbp escape may or may not get updated to in like 8 months and whether I feel like waiting that long

also not sure if the new mba could reasonably handle camera raw edits and cataloging in Lightroom or similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i would easily send my typing off to microsoft if they would just port the excellent wp keyboard on other os's instead of this swiftkey crap

not least granted the wp keyboard was backed by way better dictionaries, but it was a better typing experience too

same but windows phone mail instead of outlook mobile

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

barkbell posted:

If it still works after 12 months maybe I'll consider getting one

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

r u ready to WALK posted:

If it still works after 12 months maybe I'll consider getting one

yeah the butterfly keyboard does feel real good but lmao imagine the hell of a shift key that works 95% of the time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

no it's not

it feels snappier with most words though

they just become gestures with a pretty big margin of error

and then this to correct for user lazy

swiping seems dumb but I would definitely like a keyboard that was smarter about hit detection like that. ios used to do it way back when in like ios4 or 5 but the keyboard became worse and worse every release after.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

same but windows phone mail instead of outlook mobile

yes. windows 10 mail is the best mail app. ios mail.app sucks rear end and outlook mobile isn't much better

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Gmail is the best mail app, Inbox is second best.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gmail.app was unusable last time I tried

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
try again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i’m still trying to decide between new mba with max ram and whatever the mbp escape may or may not get updated to in like 8 months and whether I feel like waiting that long

also not sure if the new mba could reasonably handle camera raw edits and cataloging in Lightroom or similar

I'd guess the mbp escape is not long for this world

e: what processor should I get in my mini? Tempted to get the i5 and more ssd over the i7

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 26, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
any apple watch havers with opinions? bb has the 3 for ~250 and it's tempting me sorely

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the talent deficit posted:

my iphone refuses to accept that "sent" is a real word. it keeps correcting it to "went"

nothing fucks me off more than it correcting a correctly spelt word

especially when you’re already thru the next word

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

do you actually use the iphone keyboard for anything but pw form entry? swiftkey knows how i type and adjusts accordingly

i’m literally an idiot plz tell me how to put swiftkey in my opbe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

syscall girl posted:

any apple watch havers with opinions? bb has the 3 for ~250 and it's tempting me sorely

its p dece if all you want is to see notifications without taking out your phone and do exercise stuff with it or occasionally yell at siri for something. anything beyond that is not a great experience

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i’m literally an idiot plz tell me how to put swiftkey in my opbe

download swiftkey from the app store. turn it on in keyboard settings. turn off ios keyboard.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

its p dece if all you want is to see notifications without taking out your phone and do exercise stuff with it or occasionally yell at siri for something. anything beyond that is not a great experience

fair point

i actually don't want to see notifications :thunk:

mostly it would be a fitness thing

it does exercise for you as i understand it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

I'd guess the mbp escape is not long for this world
yeah that’s the thing, i could be waiting several months essentially for nothing more than them taking out the mbp escape and doubling down on touchbars for another product cycle

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

syscall girl posted:

its good. the s4 is worth the upgrade tho if u can spring for it. i only use it occasionally aside from running because smartwatches look douchey imo

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

syscall girl posted:

it’s not good, op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Uptime Sinclair posted:

yeah that’s the thing, i could be waiting several months essentially for nothing more than them taking out the mbp escape and doubling down on touchbars for another product cycle

I figure there’s a reason they didn’t update it with the other mbps and it probably isn’t because they wanted to give you a nice christmas surprise

idk why they’re still selling it but gotta have them skus I guess

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

syscall girl posted:

fair point

i actually don't want to see notifications :thunk:

mostly it would be a fitness thing

it does exercise for you as i understand it

you must lift the weights yourself, even then it doesn’t track them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

e: what processor should I get in my mini? Tempted to get the i5 and more ssd over the i7

you can always add external storage, you can't add more cpu

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Soricidus posted:

I figure there’s a reason they didn’t update it with the other mbps and it probably isn’t because they wanted to give you a nice christmas surprise

idk why they’re still selling it but gotta have them skus I guess
i was considering a potential july update for the escape

but you raise an interesting point, its entire raison d’être is probably moot now that there’a a retina air as close to $1000 as they could do, and now its odd-man out cheapo status is taken by the old non-retina air

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syscall girl posted:

nobody actually owns one, any claims to the contrary are trolling, just fyi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

its a very satisfying 300 eur notification terminal and music remote with main controls for all the poo poo like alarms and timers. i enjoy my series 3 greatly and find it worth the expense

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i was though getting really wonky heartrate tracking for running so i ended up getting a discount garmin with chest strap for cardio

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i was though getting really wonky heartrate tracking for running so i ended up getting a discount garmin with chest strap for cardio

loving lol that's what i wanted it for

i got the fitbit adidas instead

hopefully something designed with heart rate monitoring in mind will--actually work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

loving lol that's what i wanted it for

i got the fitbit adidas instead

hopefully something designed with heart rate monitoring in mind will--actually work

it didn’t worked well enough to my liking, but i know people who were served with it just fine so idk if it’s me or device

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chest strap heart rate monitors will always be more accurate than wrist ones

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

chest strap heart rate monitors will always be more accurate than wrist ones

not even accuracy question, i got chest strap just because of discount bundle. wrist on garmin works more consistently for me - wrist on s3 would lock up into some high heartrate and then show that i ran for 20 minutes at exactly 180 bpm with no deviation

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

I recently got the S4 really and I think it’s garbage on a day-to-day basis. It makes dealing with notifications more convenient, but I would rather just disable notifications than move them to my wrist. More importantly, it’s worse as an actual watch than any actual watch I’ve ever put on.

I love it as a cell phone replacement though. It gives me just enough that when I go out for a social call or to take pictures I can leave my phone at home. Still have a bit of music or a podcast for the bus ride, I can send/receive texts well enough to meet up with people, and if I wander off path I can look up bus routes or call a car to get home.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

nobody actually owns one, any claims to the contrary are trolling, just fyi

what about the goon with ham-hock wrists that posted a photo of theirs with the screen popped off, surely they owned one

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

syscall girl posted:

i have had sex before and i strongly think you should just get the 4. its teh first apple watch that is worth upgrading to

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

what about the goon with ham-hock wrists that posted a photo of theirs with the screen popped off, surely they owned one
lol what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

somebody who appeared to be suffering from severe water retention posted a picture of their apple watch which had a battery expansion issue that caused the screen to pop off.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i guess thats different from the fat gently caress on macrumors who posted their obese arm with the apple watch series 0 that got photoshopped into shrek calling donkey

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ocrassus posted:

rekordbox

i still cant get it to work right to export poo poo so it shows up on cdjs correctly

Shaggar posted:

more like fartre

lol

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

barkbell posted:

mlyp, bitch

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the supreme court is getting ready to declare the app store an illegal monopoly so that's one step closer to full androidization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Anroid?