Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I don’t think BoTW is empty at all. The world is lousy with Korok seeds and Shrines

Shrines I accept because those are neat little asides with multiple solutions. But korok seeds? Unless there's some real interesting ones they have all amounted to pick up rock/jump in ring/follow line/shoot thing.

Edit: I still think if it wasn't a Zelda game people would be far more critical of the terrible inventory system.

Len has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Calaveron posted:

Neither Aloy nor Geralt are a third as mobile as Link is. If Link didn’t have a stamina meter you’d break the game in half over your knee
And again, just use weapons. There’s only like a handful of weapons and shields that don’t respawn but they’re not like super useful or strong

I mean yeah, I get the design considerations that go into both of those, and BotW in particular would be broken if you could just infinitely climb mountains or fly around. But in terms of end results, I've never played a game without constantly getting pissed off at those two mechanics. I'd gladly sacrifice some of Link's mobility to skip spending time clearing twenty shrines to get him enough stamina upgrades that I start finding him playable.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maxwell Lord posted:

Encumbrance is a holdover from Dungeons & Dragons, where it was first put in because your goal in that game was to get treasure out of the dungeon however best you could (seriously that was the main source of XP), and so there's actually a lot of logistical thinking, like it matters if the treasure is a gem instead of its equivalent value in gold because it's lighter and more portable but you have to get it appraised, etc.

And pretty much every other RPG since, tabletop or video game, has included it out of a sense of obligation. It's rarely actually useful or needed as a balancing mechanic, and in video games it really stands out because you accumulate so much gd stuff.

This is a good point. It's interesting, I played 1e D&D when it came out and the absolute first thing we all cut was the money for xp part, when it's actually literally the heart of the system. Get treasure, level up.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I do agree that more single-use toys would have made botw more fun. Walking into an extended dungeon with two hookshots, a jar with an evil ghost in it, a baggie of powder that will turn an enemy into a random assortment of drops, half of a raft, a crowbar that'll maybe just bypass one last lock, and a balloon that's got a bit of gas in it yet... That feels consistent with what BOTW was aiming for. They'd have to make dungeons bigger and less linear, with checkpoints, to accomplish it though.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I feel the same people who don’t like the inventory limits in botw probably hated the countdown mechanic in Majoras mask.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Timers 99% of the time suck and it's why Off The Record was the best Dead Rising game too.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

I do agree that more single-use toys would have made botw more fun. Walking into an extended dungeon with two hookshots, a jar with an evil ghost in it, a baggie of powder that will turn an enemy into a random assortment of drops, half of a raft, a crowbar that'll maybe just bypass one last lock, and a balloon that's got a bit of gas in it yet... That feels consistent with what BOTW was aiming for. They'd have to make dungeons bigger and less linear, with checkpoints, to accomplish it though.

the problem with older Zelda games became that they filled your inventory with items that were useful for exactly 1 dungeon and that gets pretty lame the cool items are just fancy keys.

the big lesson nintendo should take away from breath of the wild isn't big open worlds it's giving players a set of tools and then letting them figure out how to progress through the challenges

the divine beasts and shrines are kinda boring like 10 or so bigger dungeons worth really exploring with no one specific way to get through them would be way better

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I feel the same people who don’t like the inventory limits in botw probably hated the countdown mechanic in Majoras mask.

Actually Majora's Mask is the best 3d Zelda

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Damage Over Time stuff in Divinity: Original Sin 2 is really kinda crap and makes pyromancer and geomancer pretty bad compared to other magic, which have a lot more crowd control stuff. And crowd control is by far the most effective tool, especially if you're playing on hard.

Freezing/stunning/knocking down people (hydrosophist, aerothurge and physical combat) makes them miss a turn, which is way, way more useful than doing an extra couple of hundred damage next turn because it keeps them from doing anything to you. And Charming people is the single most powerful thing in the game, since it not only causes them to effectively miss turns (because they're not attacking you), but they also fight for you. Aerothurge, also, is generally worse than hydrosophist because it's much harder to use elemental affinity (the talent that makes all your spells cost fewer action points if you're standing in an area covered by a related element) since steam clouds aren't something you see all that often unless you spend a bunch of AP setting them up. Whereas hydro can just make it rain, therefore you're standing in water and can quickly freeze the whole combat area, making enemies fall over and/or get frozen - either way, making them miss a turn.

I'm still loving the game. It's amazing. I just don't think it has quite as much variety in how you approach fights as the first one did, where DoT was super-useful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Elfgames posted:

the problem with older Zelda games became that they filled your inventory with items that were useful for exactly 1 dungeon and that gets pretty lame the cool items are just fancy keys.

the big lesson nintendo should take away from breath of the wild isn't big open worlds it's giving players a set of tools and then letting them figure out how to progress through the challenges

the divine beasts and shrines are kinda boring like 10 or so bigger dungeons worth really exploring with no one specific way to get through them would be way better
Pretty late in the game I was exploring the snowy mountain region, which is pretty hostile and hard to traverse. I was gliding above this scenery of cold, craggy mountaintops as far as the eye could see, and all I could think of was how absolutely amazing it would be to, right then and there, spot an impressively designed dungeon entrance far in the distance that you didn't even know about.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Triarii posted:

Numerical upgrades are never as interesting as functional ones, though. I'd trade all the seeds and spirit orbs in the world for a hookshot, or a power bracelet, or even a weird vase that blows wind.

Or how about some special gloves that let me climb in the rain or something, jeez

Yeah it was kind of lame that no matter what amazing stuff you encountered or great feats you accomplished all the rewards were essentially the same other than the master sword and the hylian shield which is just lying in a random chest. Like, why did Eventide Island only give me a spirit orb? Why is there absolutely nothing tingle related on tingle island?

It was such a joy to play that i can forgive it mostly but more bespoke loot please

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Damage Over Time stuff in Divinity: Original Sin 2 is really kinda crap and makes pyromancer and geomancer pretty bad compared to other magic, which have a lot more crowd control stuff. And crowd control is by far the most effective tool, especially if you're playing on hard.

Freezing/stunning/knocking down people (hydrosophist, aerothurge and physical combat) makes them miss a turn, which is way, way more useful than doing an extra couple of hundred damage next turn because it keeps them from doing anything to you. And Charming people is the single most powerful thing in the game, since it not only causes them to effectively miss turns (because they're not attacking you), but they also fight for you. Aerothurge, also, is generally worse than hydrosophist because it's much harder to use elemental affinity (the talent that makes all your spells cost fewer action points if you're standing in an area covered by a related element) since steam clouds aren't something you see all that often unless you spend a bunch of AP setting them up. Whereas hydro can just make it rain, therefore you're standing in water and can quickly freeze the whole combat area, making enemies fall over and/or get frozen - either way, making them miss a turn.

I'm still loving the game. It's amazing. I just don't think it has quite as much variety in how you approach fights as the first one did, where DoT was super-useful.

The real original sin was disrupting the 'put barrels in stuff'-meta of the first game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah it was kind of lame that no matter what amazing stuff you encountered or great feats you accomplished all the rewards were essentially the same other than the master sword and the hylian shield which is just lying in a random chest. Like, why did Eventide Island only give me a spirit orb? Why is there absolutely nothing tingle related on tingle island?

It was such a joy to play that i can forgive it mostly but more bespoke loot please

It is the first game where the idea of a "unique" loot item reward would have some actual loving impact. The armour sets were close to this but they should have been specially placed and called attention to in ways separate from the ancient shrine gimmick.

BOTW2 with a few different competing tilesets for the dungeons and some More Special shrines would be siiiiiiick

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

The real original sin was disrupting the 'put barrels in stuff'-meta of the first game.

Haha, yeah, I played through the first game on Tactician (or whatever is the hardest one that doesn't have the single save game thing) with a friend and many of our fights basically went like this:

Him: "So while the boss is busy monologuing at you, I'm gonna set up a chain of poison and oil barrels that will kill every single enemy in one shot. You'll die too, but I'll resurrect you with one of these five thousand scrolls we have because we're implausibly wealthy. Then we'll take their stuff. Sound good?"

Me "Go for it."

*boom*

*everything is dead now*

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

D:OS2 is really annoying me with the swarm fights. It feels like every time the voidwoken appear the encounter design is "8 enemies will appear at once, then when they're dead 8 more will show up." Since it's such a mechanically sound recreation of a tabletop game, it suffers from the DnD problem of too many enemies breaking the action economy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Final Fantasy 14: why give me dialogue options if both say the same thing in slightly different ways?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cythereal posted:

Final Fantasy 14: why give me dialogue options if both say the same thing in slightly different ways?

Because thou must.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

Actually Majora's Mask is the best Zelda

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Glukeose posted:

D:OS2 is really annoying me with the swarm fights. It feels like every time the voidwoken appear the encounter design is "8 enemies will appear at once, then when they're dead 8 more will show up." Since it's such a mechanically sound recreation of a tabletop game, it suffers from the DnD problem of too many enemies breaking the action economy.

Does that happen often? I remember a bunch of the void slug things doing that in Act 1, and there's a bit when some flying jerks do the same in Arx, but other than I don't remember swarms of things spawning (there's a few times where you're in a fight and then a boss thing appears, though)

We've been playing for like 100 hours at this point so I'm bound to have forgotten some stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The bug fights in D:OS2 are fun because you don't have to tactically chew through their armor layer first and can just unleash all your screen-destroying ground effects at once.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

It had exactly the kind of inventory space management that I hate, and it significantly dragged down my experience. Every time I found a chest, opened it to find a fire sword or whatever, then whoops my inventory is full and the sword goes back in the chest, I have to open my inventory and decide what my crappiest sword is so I can throw it across the room and re-open the chest - it made me want to stop playing the game just a little bit more. And that's a decision point that you come to literally hundreds of times throughout the game (and every game with those sorts of inventory limits).

I just started playing this for the first time a bit ago and yeah the inventory system is butt, and the worst part is I can tell it's intentionally so and not an oversight. Slow progression is nice and increasing inventory size is a satisfying way of representing that but there are a few little changes they could have made to improve the experience drastically. A simple "Your inventory is full. Would you like to discard an item?" prompt would have helped a lot. Or even a way of discarding from the item selection shortcut without menu diving. Being able to heal the same way you can switch your weapon or shield would have been real nice, too.

A further complaint, horses aren't any fun to ride in this game and don't control terribly well. Do solid color horses maneuver better or are they just faster?

Otherwise I'm having a blast, game is good.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Does that happen often? I remember a bunch of the void slug things doing that in Act 1, and there's a bit when some flying jerks do the same in Arx, but other than I don't remember swarms of things spawning (there's a few times where you're in a fight and then a boss thing appears, though)

We've been playing for like 100 hours at this point so I'm bound to have forgotten some stuff.

Act 1 has the slugs, Act 2 has the group fight on the Lady Vengeance, Act 3 has the magisters in the Blackpits followed by the ink blobs on the oil rig. If not necessarily swarms, at least encounters where the number of enemies has frustrated me.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Glukeose posted:

Act 1 has the slugs, Act 2 has the group fight on the Lady Vengeance, Act 3 has the magisters in the Blackpits followed by the ink blobs on the oil rig. If not necessarily swarms, at least encounters where the number of enemies has frustrated me.

Everything's there from the start on the Lady Vengeance, but yeah there are a lot of them. It's a gimmick fight though, since all you have to do is keep Malady alive for a few turns. Nothing else you do matters.

The oil blobs I grant you. That fight was annoying as hell and we died horribly, so we cheesed it by teleporting the main magister guy down to the ground and beating the poo poo out of him. Somehow this caused the imprisoned guy to escape automatically, and the oil blobs never spawned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I dunno man Link to the Past is pretty fuckin' good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass weren't the worst things in the world like people sold them to be.

The vehicles were just way too slow for how much traveling you had to do and the fast travel system wasn't good enough either.

Wind Waker let you do a little minigame with the same notes every time and you could go to any map square you'd visited before. Phantom Hourglass wanted you to draw a symbol into a slate and then it'd warp you somewhere into a quadrant of the sea. Spirit Tracks I think you had to shoot a tile and them blow the whistle to get a portal to open up and it'd send you somewhere else on the map that matched with it so you also had to keep notes about that stuff as well.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass weren't the worst things in the world like people sold them to be.

The vehicles were just way too slow for how much traveling you had to do and the fast travel system wasn't good enough either.

Wind Waker let you do a little minigame with the same notes every time and you could go to any map square you'd visited before. Phantom Hourglass wanted you to draw a symbol into a slate and then it'd warp you somewhere into a quadrant of the sea. Spirit Tracks I think you had to shoot a tile and them blow the whistle to get a portal to open up and it'd send you somewhere else on the map that matched with it so you also had to keep notes about that stuff as well.

Spirit tracks had great music. And chugging around in the train was fun. But I'm the sicko who liked sailing in wind waker

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Been replaying Stardew Valley, I forgot how annoying the limited inventory is before you can afford the first backpack.

Also I think Dark Souls had a pretty good implementation of carry weight, in that it only counts what you're actually wearing, and is used to balance builds at least a little.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

I just started playing this for the first time a bit ago and yeah the inventory system is butt, and the worst part is I can tell it's intentionally so and not an oversight. Slow progression is nice and increasing inventory size is a satisfying way of representing that but there are a few little changes they could have made to improve the experience drastically. A simple "Your inventory is full. Would you like to discard an item?" prompt would have helped a lot. Or even a way of discarding from the item selection shortcut without menu diving. Being able to heal the same way you can switch your weapon or shield would have been real nice, too.

A further complaint, horses aren't any fun to ride in this game and don't control terribly well. Do solid color horses maneuver better or are they just faster?

Otherwise I'm having a blast, game is good.

horses generally become easier to control as you ride them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Spirit tracks had great music. And chugging around in the train was fun. But I'm the sicko who liked sailing in wind waker

Like I said, I just think it's not fast enough considering the distance you have to go. I would've really liked an upgrade for 2 or 3 times the max they gave you. The idea is fine though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Elfgames posted:

horses generally become easier to control as you ride them

Or pack that fucker with apples

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wonder if the people saying Majora's Mask wasn't terrible tried to do any side quests without a strategy guide?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

rodbeard posted:

I wonder if the people saying Majora's Mask wasn't terrible tried to do any side quests without a strategy guide?

Oh you mean like when I was a kid and did all the poo poo without one? Yeah, I did em.

Hell, the only one I couldn't beat was the skulltula house. Picked up the game a decade later and finished it, then beat the game. No guide.

*flexes*

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It was annoying until i learned to use that dumb book the kids give you on the first loop of the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The 3DS remake hands you the journal early on the critical-path, and its much more comprehensive as it has a schedule for every NPC and a quest-log. The sheikah-stone in the clock-tower lists all fairies and heart-pieces you've collected. The only real challenges left are the archery minigames and those blasted platforming sections on the moon. I do applaud any game that makes it easy to track completion without cluttering the screen like a Ubisoft title.

You can reap almost all the awards from Anju and Kafei's quest before you even head to the swamp. I like any game that lets you legally sequence-break and do a shitload of side-content before doing the main-quest. I was 25% done with Shadow of Mordor between the tutorial level and the first mission.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somfin posted:

Or pack that fucker with apples
They really missed an opportunity for emergent gameplay not including ginger as a cooking ingredient

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've got max bond with my horse but due to his wild temperament he will go from following a road to doing 90 degree turns right into walls

Edit: also I did this following side quest last night, because every open world game needs an AssCreed style trailing mission, and when I got to the end I saved because I was told there was going to be a fight. I got wrecked by this assassin guy. When I loaded my game it was 2am game time and the guy I'd tailed since 10pm game time was gone and I had to start over.

Also anyone who thinks Korok seeds are a fun interesting mechanic would probably enjoy MMOs and the soulless "collect bear rear end" quests

Len has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Nov 28, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Len posted:

I've got max bond with my horse but due to his wild temperament he will go from following a road to doing 90 degree turns right into walls

Edit: also I did this following side quest last night, because every open world game needs an AssCreed style trailing mission, and when I got to the end I saved because I was told there was going to be a fight. I got wrecked by this assassin guy. When I loaded my game it was 2am game time and the guy I'd tailed since 10pm game time was gone and I had to start over.

Also anyone who thinks Korok seeds are a fun interesting mechanic would probably enjoy MMOs and the soulless "collect bear rear end" quests

As far as I know horse temperament only affects the taming process. In full gallop you have a really wide turn radius so this can happen in forks in the road.

But are you sure you enjoy open world games? I'm pretty sure you'll only hate this game more because there's a lot more where that came from.

EDIT: Might as well ask here, do horse taming attempts stack? I found this giant horse and after like 9 attempts I figured I need more stamina. But nothing else yet seems to be gated behind stats and googling I found people saying both yes and no.

Vic has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Nov 28, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

As far as I know horse temperament only affects the taming process. In full gallop you have a really wide turn radius so this can happen in forks in the road.

But are you sure you enjoy open world games? I'm pretty sure you'll only hate this game more because there's a lot more where that came from.

EDIT: Might as well ask here, do horse taming attempts stack? I found this giant horse and after like 9 attempts I figured I need more stamina. But nothing else yet seems to be gated behind stats and googling I found people saying both yes and no.

Nope no forks in the road. Heading down a straight canyon path with my thumb nowhere near the direction joystick and the thing will just decide running into walls in a prominent course of action. My fiancee thinks it's hilarious when it happens so at least one of us enjoys it.

I do like open world games. But if this were say an AssCreed that's been doing open world tailing missions since 2007 it probably would have checkpointed before the part where you can die. Or at least not made it so you have to wait out a day/night cycle to try again.

The korok seeds thing is just because up thread someone pointed out those as an example of the world not being barren and lifeless but they're basically the equivalent of an MMO trash quest to gather bear asses.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have a wild temperament horse with max bond and this never happens to me. It DID happen before I had max bond tho. I'd check at the stable if you didn't piss it off somehow. Also might be fucky stick deadzone?

I'm currently lost in a jungle so maybe you're referring to the grasslands biome? There's also a steppe which is barren with the exception of some baobab trees. I'd suggest you go after stables and 'radar' towers first. I've just uncovered my fourth biome and my questlog is getting pretty thick doing this. But as I said most of the game is a collectathon so you might wanna cut your losses if it feels like a chore.

Vic has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cythereal posted:

I do want to bring this back to answer it, I think it's a way to get around having your character be silent (with all the advantages that brings) while still having them be active in conversations. That way they don't have to record like a dozen different takes of the same line in every language, but your character's still allowed to say things in cutscenes.

It's a huge pain sometimes, though, I agree. It actually angered me at the end of some recent patch main story content. No, don't act remorseful and like Yotsuyu is a good person, she's basically the worst, and the only good thing her brother ever did was shooting her!