Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

God Save(s) the Machine (for halfway through the season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HitTheTargets posted:

Four Zaku Fiesta sounds dope, but MS Saga and Gundam Breaker are probably the closest you'll be getting any time soon.

I just hope New Gundam Breaker wasn't bad enough to kill the franchise. What a bafflingly awful game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’ve actually been watching the old Dancouger because someone put the raws up on YouTube. It’s good and now I want to play a SRW that contains it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the real issue with combiners is balance. You want your OC to be a strong mech/pilot so they stay useful all game. Having five strong pilots with good spirits is pretty game breaking (see W end game mech and even GoLion who performs far better than its stats)

That and having a ton of original characters means you either under develop them or steal the spotlight from the included series.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Getsuya posted:

I’ve actually been watching the old Dancouger because someone put the raws up on YouTube. It’s good and now I want to play a SRW that contains it.

Well it is in J...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Okay SRW, let's see you cross over Dancougar's Harlem Resistance episode with Sakura Wars 5 plot.

But in all seriousness I'd love to have an SRW that combines every show where aliens have already overrun most of the planet, like Dancougar and Tekkaman Blade, and treats it as a fact that the planet is screwed.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 27, 2018

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Well it is in J...

Why the scary ellipses?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Why the scary ellipses?
Okay see this post I've made? Imagine this line right here is where you start on a turn.

All the way down here is where enemies are.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

After you get to the enemies over here.....

Reinforcements spawn over here. That is the SRWJ experience.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ah so the Alpha 2 problem.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't played Alpha 2 yet so Idk how that compares. Btw more enemies have spawned in this post.

I still like J, it just can be a bit of a slog at times.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And all of these enemy waves are entirely separate series, because J seems to have forgotten that SRW is a crossover series, not just a series in which a bunch of mecha anime plots happen in sequence.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Off the top of my head, the worst one is a space map where plot relevant kill-sats spawn in the southwest, southeast, and northeast corners of the map. When you kill them HELL YES the boss spawns in the northwest.

Hellioning posted:

And all of these enemy waves are entirely separate series, because J seems to have forgotten that SRW is a crossover series, not just a series in which a bunch of mecha anime plots happen in sequence.

I remember Dr. Hell teamed with Gauron and had mixed forces. That's all I can recall.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 27, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

I haven't played Alpha 2 yet so Idk how that compares. Btw more enemies have spawned in this post.

I still like J, it just can be a bit of a slog at times.

Alpha 2 just has staggeringly enormous maps. I never really noticed until I started replaying it in the past couple of years but most stages take place in one little corner of a ginormous map.

You can see what I mean in this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKDYN1xx2NI

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

Ah so the Alpha 2 problem.
No, J has it worse than any game other than Impact, and that's mainly because in Impact the move animations are so slow you could die of old age before your army gets from one side of the map to the other.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

J isn't so bad once you realize you only need 2 or 3 units to kill a wave and you can usually predict where the next wave will spawn so you can just spread your forces into 2-3 armies

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

drrockso20 posted:

Well it is in J...

Well, in a units only fashion, anyway. Unless you count "Shapiro Keats works for Yet Another Enemy Faction" (Layzner in this case) as plot I guess.

HitTheTargets posted:

Off the top of my head, the worst one is a space map where plot relevant kill-sats spawn in the southwest, southeast, and northeast corners of the map. When you kill them HELL YES the boss spawns in the northwest.

I remember Dr. Hell teamed with Gauron and had mixed forces. That's all I can recall.

Er, they actually kind of worked together a lot? On top of the already mentioned Shapiro (Who is admittedly just doing what Shapiro always does), Jovians and Gradosians worked together (at first, anyway), Zeorymer constantly imported mooks (Probably because Zeorymer itself doesn't have any), I think I recall a mission where Boazanian empire imports something from someone else, and treats it as such in plot, though gently caress if I recall what it was.

Also, though it's not strictly working together, Rau le Creuset from Seed kills Kusakabe from Nadesico because gently caress that guy.

Also a bunch of plot crap (General Colbert from Tekkaman Blade working with Muruta Azrael from Gundam Seed, for example), but who cares about that.

... actually I think the only faction that never works with anyone whatsoever besides the OG enemies is the Radam. Which, well, they wouldn't.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 27, 2018

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh wait it was in Alpha, I remember now. I remember it being super forgettable because it was like the weakest and squishiest of the supers.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Oh wait it was in Alpha, I remember now. I remember it being super forgettable because it was like the weakest and squishiest of the supers.

Okay now hold on just a darn minute.

Dancoukougaken is extremely powerful in that game. In fact it's arguably the best thing you've got for the majority of the game, because 1) every Dancougar pilot knows Valor, and 2) Shinobu's Aggression passive skill gives him a flat +25% damage bonus. The drawback is that you have to magically know that you unlock it by maxing out the Dancouken and then paying an extra 75,000 and THEN getting it at base unupgraded power, but even with all of this, Dancougar was my staple boss killer for the majority of my last Alpha game.

I'd argue that Dancougar is at its most powerful in Alpha 1, and it's by no means a slacker in Alpha Gaiden or Alpha 3 either.

The "squishy" part I won't argue with, but it does have access to Wall in its pilot spirit set FWIW.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah Alpha was my first game so I understood little to none of the mechanics aside from some very basic stuff, and the only thing that got across to me was that Dancouga couldn't take a hit like Mazinger or Raideen so I used it but it was sort of my back-line Super.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Yeah Alpha was my first game so I understood little to none of the mechanics aside from some very basic stuff, and the only thing that got across to me was that Dancouga couldn't take a hit like Mazinger or Raideen so I used it but it was sort of my back-line Super.

Yeah okay, I definitely hear that. It's not like Alpha told you any of that stuff unless you were reading outside guides, either. :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Getsuya posted:

Yeah, that's kind of Dancouga's thing, like Getter.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WrightOfWay posted:

J isn't so bad once you realize you only need 2 or 3 units to kill a wave and you can usually predict where the next wave will spawn so you can just spread your forces into 2-3 armies

Step 1.) Identify which corners of the map are completely empty.

Step 2.) Send Zeorymer to the one and the OG to the other. Substitute Tekkaman Blade, Mazinkaiser, or Dancougar as appropriate.

Step 3.) The rest of your army does whatever.

Hokuto posted:

This is so good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Except you shouldn't be using Zeorymer unless it's one of the actual Zeorymer stages because then you won't get the even more hilariously OP Great Zeorymer.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Then you have to give up pretty much every other secret in the game and OG Zeorymer is already strong enough.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's worth it because Great Zeo can basically solo the rest of the game. Who needs other secrets?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone who doesn't save Gai Daigoji is a monster.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's worth it because Great Zeo can basically solo the rest of the game. Who needs other secrets?

Zeorymer can also basically solo the rest of the game, really.

A lot of units can, really, J's extremely easy.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

You only give up half the secrets. You can still get Allenby and Tekkaman Rapier, for example.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Also like a single unupgraded B character real can solo J. It’s one of the easier games in an easy series.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

EGSunBro posted:

Also like a single unupgraded B character real can solo J. It’s one of the easier games in an easy series.

I think people have legitimately solo'd the game with the Baybull or something.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

The fact that they made Allenby a secret for A and J was just baffling to me, especially J since you can't even save Master Asia! :mad: And J is super easy, the only units you can't solo the game with are Sol Tekkaman 1 and 2 because they suck just that bad.

I actually beat it again a few weeks ago which I hadn't done since the patch had come out, the reinforcements issue is frustrating but the biggest black mark on the game is SEED. I'm not saying that just because I don't like SEED, it's more that the game didn't do anything with the plot of it, they play it painfully straight and it drags the other shows down with it. J is still a good game though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The fact that they made Allenby a secret for A and J was just baffling to me, especially J since you can't even save Master Asia! :mad: And J is super easy, the only units you can't solo the game with are Sol Tekkaman 1 and 2 because they suck just that bad.

I actually beat it again a few weeks ago which I hadn't done since the patch had come out, the reinforcements issue is frustrating but the biggest black mark on the game is SEED. I'm not saying that just because I don't like SEED, it's more that the game didn't do anything with the plot of it, they play it painfully straight and it drags the other shows down with it. J is still a good game though.

SEED alongside literally any other Gundam show makes no goddamned sense because of the whole 'Only Coordinators can use mobile suits' deal for like, half the plot or whatever. But oh wait, Gundam Fighters.

And the painfully straight way SEED is played in J doesn't really help, as you said.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

But oh wait, Gundam Fighters.

SEED being in J does give us the delight of Dearka's reaction to the Gundam Fight. "Y'all Naturals are crazy."

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just hope New Gundam Breaker wasn't bad enough to kill the franchise. What a bafflingly awful game.

Gundam as a franchise has this hilarious ability to make solid to fun games and then, every once in a while, release the absolute worst title on an entire platform, like Gundam Crossfire!

Hokuto posted:

Alpha 2 just has staggeringly enormous maps. I never really noticed until I started replaying it in the past couple of years but most stages take place in one little corner of a ginormous map.

Super Robot Wars: This is Complete Nonsense... and Absolutely Amazing

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 27, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

SEED alongside literally any other Gundam show makes no goddamned sense because of the whole 'Only Coordinators can use mobile suits' deal for like, half the plot or whatever. But oh wait, Gundam Fighters.

And the painfully straight way SEED is played in J doesn't really help, as you said.

G, I'd say it's even more amazing.

"We've genetically engineered the ultimate human! All limitations have been surpassed! Truly, this is the future of the species!"

"GASP! He must mean the seven foot tall Russian space pirate, who can punch through a train!"

"Err... no."

"Ah. I see. The blue haired girl with a superhuman rage mode, a martial arts prodigy continually monitored by expert scientists. That explains things."

"...No."

"You can't mean... The Undefeated of the East himself?!? Yes, that explains everything. Mere martial arts would never let a man punch a skyscraper into the air and fire Kamehamehas."

"...It did. We meant George Glenn. He's good at football and also science."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Brains AND brawn. That's impressive, right?"

"How many trains can he punch through?"

"...none."

"Oh. Because Kyoji Kasshu can do Nobel prize level mobile suit engineering and punch through a train. He's also a ninja. Is George Glenn a ninja?"

"...no."

"I'm sure you tried very hard. We'll go back to meditating under waterfalls now."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Practically everything with J is weird overall, including the secret list. There are the understandable selections, like Gai and Rapier as well as Gale/Julia. But then the stuff that should be secrets aren't there. You get Jonathan and Quincy, two prime secret unit options, for free once Brain Powered's plot is over. On the flip side, Mwu, Master Asia, Nicol, Schwartz, Natarle and Tolle all die as normal and cannot be saved (and all of the SEED characters would be saveable in W, two by a secret and two by natural plot progression). And then there's the Jovian Quartet, who only show up as neutral reinforcements for the SEED finale, that are affected by the Gai secret (get Gai, and Tsukumo appears with the group; otherwise, it's just the three Jovians).

And then there's the whole issue of the Gundam selections clashing extremely hard, as others have said. G Gundam is so different that it has to be crowbarred into SEED's continuity, for better or worse. Like, when Michelo and Chapman first show up, they are addressed as the Gundam Fighters of Neo-England and Neo-Italy. Nobody from the SEED cast ever raises the obvious question of "What do you mean by Neo-England/Italy?" since both countries are part of the Atlantic Federation in SEED's universe. Hell, I don't think anyone raises a word of confusion when Domon first appears, and that's when SEED is starting the Africa arc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It shouldn't have been that hard to have some of that SEED stuff make some amount of sense in J. Like they could have made the Coordinator's existence a response to crazy people like Master Asia running around, or being afraid of the existence of the various Super Robots, or Orphan or whatever. Hell you could even incorporate the Whispered in there somehow, maybe they were designed using information from them.

Or did they something like and I just forgot?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

Alpha 2 looks amazing. :allears:

And yeah those maps do look pretty big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

It shouldn't have been that hard to have some of that SEED stuff make some amount of sense in J. Like they could have made the Coordinator's existence a response to crazy people like Master Asia running around, or being afraid of the existence of the various Super Robots, or Orphan or whatever. Hell you could even incorporate the Whispered in there somehow, maybe they were designed using information from them.

Or did they something like and I just forgot?
Not that I can recall. J is basically "Here's the Cosmic Era plus some new series, but with very little effort to create cohesion between the featured series outside of a few spots". It gets even more :psyduck: when you recall that SEED puts a big emphasis on nuclear power being kneecapped, but the G-Gundam cast (whose Gundams are powered by nuclear reactors) can fly around perfectly fine without being affected by the Neutron Jammers. Which gives a boost to a theory about SEED's tech I've come across; the jammers only affect nuclear fission, but do gently caress all to prevent nuclear fusion (aka, the usual reactor power source for most Gundam series). Then again, the show's staff have allegedly deflected questions related to explaining how in-universe technology works, so...yeah, it doesn't surprise me that SEED has inconsistent technobabble.