Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bellew gave a better accounting of himself than I expected. He's a fringe world-class fighter going up against a pound for pound top 5 fighter. He could seriously compete at cruiserweight if he wanted to with Usyk assumably leaving, but it sounds like he's going to call it a career. Good decision.

As for Usyk, he's my vote for fighter of the year and he's either the second best or the best cruiserweight of all time, but I don't like his chances at heavyweight. I'm sure he could beat the Bryant Jennings and the Manuel Charrs of the division, but he really doesn't have the tools to hang with the elite superheavyweights in Wilder, Fury, and Joshua. He's barely 6'3 with a 78" reach, and considering he's 32 and has no trouble making 200, he probably won't weight much more than 220 during his last few prime years at heavyweight. He won't have much power at heavyweight either, and big guys like Jarrell Miller, Luis Ortiz, or even Dillian Whyte could give him a lot of problems. He'll have to be matched very smart to make a run to a title shot.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Bellew gave a better accounting of himself than I expected. He's a fringe world-class fighter going up against a pound for pound top 5 fighter. He could seriously compete at cruiserweight if he wanted to with Usyk assumably leaving, but it sounds like he's going to call it a career. Good decision.

As for Usyk, he's my vote for fighter of the year and he's either the second best or the best cruiserweight of all time, but I don't like his chances at heavyweight. I'm sure he could beat the Bryant Jennings and the Manuel Charrs of the division, but he really doesn't have the tools to hang with the elite superheavyweights in Wilder, Fury, and Joshua. He's barely 6'3 with a 78" reach, and considering he's 32 and has no trouble making 200, he probably won't weight much more than 220 during his last few prime years at heavyweight. He won't have much power at heavyweight either, and big guys like Jarrell Miller, Luis Ortiz, or even Dillian Whyte could give him a lot of problems. He'll have to be matched very smart to make a run to a title shot.

He's a Matchroom fighter now - that bit is pretty much guaranteed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Took his soul

https://twitter.com/PrezAVK/status/1061989722443137024

EDIT: Full size

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
PBC/FOX just did a big upfront for their first half of 2019. The biggest news is that Spence/Garcia is official on 3/16. AT&T Stadium (aka JerryWorld) in Dallas, PBC/FOX PPV

Other fights:

Jose Uzcategui-Caleb Plant (IBF super middleweight title) - 1/13
Keith Thurman-Josesito Lopez - 1/26
Leo Santa Cruz-Miguel Flores (WBA featherweight title) - 2/16
Anthony Dirrell-Avni Yildrim (WBC super middleweight title) - 2/23
Shawn Porter-Yordenis Ugas WBC welterweight title) - 3/9
Lamont Peterson-Sergey Lipinets - 3/24
Peter Quillin-Caleb Truax - 4/13
Danny Garcia-Adrian Granados - :420:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I thought the numbers were odds at first and was confused

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anyway that's quite a lineup of thoroughly ok fights

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

PBC/FOX just did a big upfront for their first half of 2019. The biggest news is that Spence/Garcia is official on 3/16. AT&T Stadium (aka JerryWorld) in Dallas, PBC/FOX PPV

Other fights:

Jose Uzcategui-Caleb Plant (IBF super middleweight title) - 1/13
Keith Thurman-Josesito Lopez - 1/26
Leo Santa Cruz-Miguel Flores (WBA featherweight title) - 2/16
Anthony Dirrell-Avni Yildrim (WBC super middleweight title) - 2/23
Shawn Porter-Yordenis Ugas WBC welterweight title) - 3/9
Lamont Peterson-Sergey Lipinets - 3/24
Peter Quillin-Caleb Truax - 4/13
Danny Garcia-Adrian Granados - :420:

Still can't believe that Spence/Garcia is happening, and it probably robs us of a Lomachenko/Garcia fight forever. Might even rob us of prime Mikey Garcia forever. Spence dwarfs Garcia in the promo shots; 4 inches of height and reach in advantage for Spence, as well as appearing two or more weight classes larger. I don't like anything about this fight. If Garcia wins he's pound for pound #1.

Nice to see Keith Thurman back, and against someone with a pulse even. 2 years off is a long time though. Thurman beats Lopez but it will be very interesting to see how he looks. If he looks impressive, he's right back in the mix with the elite of the division. That's not a guarantee after injuries and so much time off.

The rest of the fights are all decent but not great, with the possible exception of Uzcategui/Plant, which could see a super-middleweight title change hands. Interesting to see Peter Quillin fighting again. He's good enough to secure another title shot, but he will probably have to fight more than once a year to make that happen. It's also nice to see Danny Garcia being more active lately. He's still relevant at 147.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

By all accounts Mikey has been struggling to make weight, his camp has been talking about wanting to jump to welterweight for at least a year and I've seen it cited that he weighs as high as 180 pounds during camps. That could just be talk to avoid Lomachenko but it's hard to accuse Garcia of taking the easier path here.

I kinda like this fight. I have a hard time looking past the size differences or even seeing an easy path to victory for Mikey, but that doesn't mean Mikey won't be able to find one. It's a dangerous fight for him but I'd give him better odds than say Kell Brook jumping up for GGG. If he loses, as long as he puts in a good showing he'll establish himself as a welterweight and potential opponent for Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia and Amir Khan. If he somehow wins he'll be at the top of the division.

It's no Garcia-Lomachenko but imo it's the second-most interesting fight you could get for Mikey, so I'm not complaining if he isn't.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Wilder-Fury will be shown in theatres so if PBC is so intent on keeping the ppv model hopefully they still do this do help keep the cost down.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events...lderfury-reddit

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So this is now happening again along the lines of what Mayweather originally thought would happen: a 9 minute exhibition boxing match

While this is pretty insignificant in most aspects, a while back Mayweather was saying he would rematch Pacquiao if he was able to take a tune up fight in winter and Pac was able to get a big win. He then later started mumbling about how he always wanted to fight in Japan and stuff like that. While talk is all pretty cheap, the fact that Mayweather has booked a tune up sort of fight and Pac is about to fight Broner, we could see them fight in 2019.

Most people aren't really going to give a poo poo about that fight, but it could be fun I think.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Even if Manny loses then they can do the "big bro-little bro" fight with Broner and it would do alright numbers

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
drat. Watch Saucedo v Hooker if you can.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Gozinbulx posted:

drat. Watch Saucedo v Hooker if you can.

seconded, what a banger

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Saucedo wasn't ready for this level and it definitely showed. He's a fun TV fighter and contender now but I doubt he'll ever get farther than that without improving his defense and I think time has shown staying with Abel Sanchez is not how you get there. Maurice Hooker's actually kind of impressed me since I kind of wrote him off after he robbed Darleys Perez on the Ward-Kovalev 1 undercard and while I would put him a marked underdog against anyone still in the WBSS 140 tourney I think he has a real shot to beat Jose Ramirez and upset the Top Rank applecart.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The dudes arms are insanely long, your defense has to be flawless or you gotta knock the dude out quickly. Saucedo was almost there at first, with that knockdown, but once Hooker got the right distance on his mile-long cross and effectively managed to string together like 5 of them without leaning too forward and falling into a counter, it was done.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I also wrote off Hooker from the Perez robbery, he looked bad there but apparently has pulled it together since then

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Reddit's /r/boxing is indeed a very active community; good for day-to-day boxing updates and discussion, posts on upcoming and recent fights, and discussing historical or mythical fights and fighters.

Bad Left Hook is the best boxing blog that I've come across for editorials, recaps, and analysis. They also do a podcast that's decent.

Fightnews, Boxing Scene and Fight Hype are probably the best straight boxing news sites. Fight Hype has a lot of exclusive video interviews with fighters. Fightnews has the rankings of all 4 major sanctioning bodies, as well as the boxing schedule for the year.

Chris Mannix has probably the best boxing podcast (it's a low bar), but he very recently left Yahoo for Sports Illustrated, so it's unclear when he will be able to resume podcasting. If he does resume it's worth listening to. He gets good guests, including top promoters and fighters.

The SituAsian posted:

These days I get the majority of stuff through Twitter. Dan Rafael of ESPN and Mike Coppinger of The Ring are probably the most active reporters while Michael Benson is a UK based reporter who seems to have the beat pretty covered. Boxingscene.com is the biggest aggreagator of news but the site is mess imo so just checking their twitter is the way to go. While the best daily site is Bad Left Hook.

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn
https://twitter.com/boxingscene

R/boxing is actually a pretty strong source of actual conversation and more in-depth analysis since it's really heavily moderated.

Thank you both. I love boxing and I wish it had the sort of internet blanket coverage that basketball has. I love Brian Campbell and Rafe Bartholomew's podcast, I was overjoyed when they brought it back, because I loved listening to it on grantland.

I always forget this thread exists because it's tucked into the subforum subforum, thanks again.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://streamable.com/drer8 - cool round

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pacquiao-Broner official for January 19th. MGM Grand Garden Arena in Vegas on Showtime PPV.

Freddie Roach is apparently back in Pacquiao's camp but Buboy Fernandez is still officially head trainer

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Pacquiao might be 40 but he should still easily beat Broner. Broner has minimal power at welterweight and simply doesn't throw enough punches to win the majority of rounds off of a guy like Pacquiao.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Who you guys got Wilder Vs Fury? Everyone here in the UK is certain Fury is going to win.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm too dumb to have a real oppinion other than that Wilder has the most room to suddenly get a lot better, right? In that his technique isn't really at all what you'd expect from a world class boxer?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a tough fight for me to call. Tyson Fury should have a technical advantage and I would think that if Fury could outbox Klitschko he should be able to avoid Wilder too. But Fury's not fought serious competition for quite some time now and that bodes ill for his stamina and conditioning for this fight, both of which he will need to prevent Wilder's punching power from changing the fight. He'll need to be ready to box twelve rounds without gassing, what I've seen from his camp looks promising in this regard but you never really know what shape a fighter is in until the night of the fight. I thought he looked good against Pianeta but Wilder's a big step up in competition.

Then there's the question of how Fury's chin will hold up against Wilder's punches. He was dropped by Steve Cunningham who is not a big puncher or a natural heavyweight; Wilder is both. Style-wise this won't be Fury-Klitschko, I expect Wilder will be a lot more active than old man Wlad and probably won't wait until round 12 to take risks. This means more opportunities for Fury to land his own work but it also means more opportunities for him to get hit.

Finally there's the matter the judges and if the fight goes to the decision in Los Angeles, Wilder may have the edge by virtue of being the American fighter, especially in a close fight with a lot of competitive rounds that could have gone either way. So if Fury is looking to win a decision he will probably need to do it in a way that shows a clear separation in class between him and Wilder, that may be hard to find. Of course, this is a heavyweight fight and there's a fair chance one guy will put the other out and make the judges irrelevant, but they are still a factor worth considering.

With all that said I'm picking Fury, but not with a lot of confidence and mostly because I'm a bigger fan of him than Wilder.

A quick googling of betting odds has Wilder at a -165 favorite (bet 165 to win 100 on him) against Fury's +135 (bet 100 to win 135). Those are fairly tight betting odds and it shows even the oddsmakers don't have a clear sense of how this will go.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
My prediction is Fury makes Wilder look really bad for 7 rounds but Wilder never gives up and catches Fury with something big by the 9th and puts him away.

EDIT: And even though it's late I want to say I'm thankful for the few of ya'll who humor my white noise posting about this sport I love so much and for the night in March 2013 that Tim Bradley decided to brawl against Ruslan Provdonikov (and hopeful that HBO doesn't take down their boxing youtube channel at the end of the year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlVQO71PbQ

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 24, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Picking Wilder for this one, purely because that'll make the more entertaining fight. Fury will make him miss, but not all night. Wilder's reach is insane and he uses it. Wilder also isn't worried about unorthodox boxing or sticking to a gameplan like Klitschko is.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

willie_dee posted:

Who you guys got Wilder Vs Fury? Everyone here in the UK is certain Fury is going to win.

I wouldn't say that, we all saw how he was morbidly obese 18 months ago...

The only question for me is if Wilder is so technically poor he can't set his feet and land a clean punch against even a shot Fury.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

EDIT: And even though it's late I want to say I'm thankful for the few of ya'll who humor my white noise posting about this sport I love so much and for the night in March 2013 that Tim Bradley decided to brawl against Ruslan Provdonikov (and hopeful that HBO doesn't take down their boxing youtube channel at the end of the year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlVQO71PbQ

Watching that fight in real time was so nerve-wracking. God it was loving awesome :)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ahkmidaleav is exciting

Edit: Zarate too drat tough for his own good

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 25, 2018

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Pascal is being way out classed. Just hang em up dude.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

willie_dee posted:

It's impossible to tell, which is what makes it so intriguing. Wilder can end any fight at any time, as he apparently has George Foreman level power. Fury though, might be the best pure boxer in the division, and combine that with his height and awkwardness, makes him very difficult to beat. Wilder and Fury have also both turned in some terrible performances, though I assume that they'll show up in peak condition for this fight.

I'm glad to hear that UK fans are confident in Fury winning, because it seems like the opposite sentiment is true across the pond. People in American media are talking up Wilder-Joshua as if it's a done deal that Wilder is going to knock Fury out, when in reality this is a 50/50 fight. It's weird.

I honestly have no idea who's going to win. I want to say Fury because he's just such a better boxer than Wilder, and he also has the experience of beating Wladimir Klitschko, while Wilder has never had a fight at that kind of level before. But Fury has been out for a long time and this is a massive step up for him compared to Francisco Pianeta. If I had to put money on the fight, I'd go with Wilder, because it's hard to see Wilder not landing a good shot all night, and he's succeeded despite his technical deficiencies to this point. But Fury did win basically every round off Klitschko without ever getting hurt, so he's definitely capable of winning a decision here.

Definitely a must watch fight though! Hopefully the winner immediately fights Anthony Joshua in April.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
British boxing fans are massive homers, see all the people who were picking Bellew to beat Usyk.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm from the UK and I loving hate fury and I've basically started watching boxing in the hope I get to see him get knocked out.

I can't stand how the media constantly talks about how a homophobic drug cheat is the 'peoples champion'

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

British boxing fans are massive homers, see all the people who were picking Bellew to beat Usyk.

And Hatton to beat Floyd.

It is why I have come here to ask, because I know any discussion I am getting in this country is going to be massively slanted.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Fury won every round against Klitschko until the very end because Klitschko barely tried hitting him until he realised he'd lost the fight without a knockout is how I remember it. He didn't really seem to be getting hurt by fury and k was surprised it took him so long so start doing it

I'd like to see him get knocked out

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm from the UK and I loving hate fury and I've basically started watching boxing in the hope I get to see him get knocked out.

I can't stand how the media constantly talks about how a homophobic drug cheat is the 'peoples champion'

(It’s because he’s white, or at least white enough)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I hope Wilder demolishes him so all the pundits who've spent months talking about how The Real Tyson Fury Is Back look loving stupid.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Fury won every round against Klitschko until the very end because Klitschko barely tried hitting him until he realised he'd lost the fight without a knockout is how I remember it. He didn't really seem to be getting hurt by fury and k was surprised it took him so long so start doing it

I'd like to see him get knocked out

Klitschko was shut down though, he didn't just go from heavyweight ATG to a dude who forgot you need to throw punches to win rounds. He struggled to get the range correct or find the target against the larger and faster Fury. Klitschko is a pretty risk averse fighter and as such doesn't throw much if he doesn't already have good positioning, which he was never able to get.

Wilder doesn't fight in that way, which is why I think he has a much better chance against Fury despite being a worse boxer than Klitschko, but Fury definitely did beat him.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 27, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Came back from Creed II. Kicked off with Creed fighting Danny Wheeler (Andre Ward) at heavyweight.
Tale of the Tape had Wheeler at 210 lbs, and I believe Ward showed full commitment to the role.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

(It’s because he’s white, or at least white enough)

yes, it's a shame poor Anthony Joshua has to toil in obscurity in the shadow of the Great White Hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Klitschko was shut down though, he didn't just go from heavyweight ATG to a dude who forgot you need to throw punches to win rounds. He struggled to get the range correct or find the target against the larger and faster Fury. Klitschko is a pretty risk averse fighter and as such doesn't throw much if he doesn't already have good positioning, which he was never able to get.

Wilder doesn't fight in that way, which is why I think he has a much better chance against Fury despite being a worse boxer than Klitschko, but Fury definitely did beat him.

I didn't want to to suggest that fury didn't deserve the win, just that Klitschko should have stopped being so risk averse around round 8 or 9 rather than 11