Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How long goes it take for Cisco to contact you after passing your exam?

I'm now over 2 weeks without any word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Taking an azure exam on Monday. Studying some practice tests, and god drat they really want you to know every little detail and the order they demand things be done in. I'm scoring consistently around 80, but oof.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Coincidentally, I just started studying for my Azure. Good to know at least.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've seen successful exams take longer, but I'd also reach out at this point

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Cisco didn't say anything until I manually logged into my Cisco account and saw a notice saying that I can to confirm my personal info. So check that first.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Heartcatch posted:

I’m taking the 70-533, but make sure you are studying for the new stuff they announced a few weeks ago if you aren’t taking it soon because this exam is retired end of 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ah, I see. Yeah, I plan to take it next month as soon as possible unless my confidence flounders.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Do yourself a favor and simply book the exam now. Keep yourself to the deadline so that you can't just walk away from it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

I've seen successful exams take longer, but I'd also reach out at this point

Yes, it ends up I needed to login with an account I don't recall ever creating (I have so many Cisco accounts from random jobs at this point).

And they're charging me $3 for a PDF certificate.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, it ends up I needed to login with an account I don't recall ever creating (I have so many Cisco accounts from random jobs at this point).

And they're charging me $3 for a PDF certificate.

YUP.

I'm mostly through the second module of the Google certs which is focused on networking, and good golly this goes into more detail on basically everything. I'm a tidbit frustrated that I have the N+, Sec+, and CCENT, yet I'm still learning new things about NAT and encapsulation from a "basic" cert.

Basically what I'm saying is everyone should start with the Google certs, if you need CompTIA or a base vendor cert after it will more than prepare you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Do yourself a favor and simply book the exam now. Keep yourself to the deadline so that you can't just walk away from it.

This is me with every exam ever. I talk about it for a few months and very slowly study some of the content, then stop, then one day I decide to book the test for a month out and just hate-cram every bit of info for the exam I can

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Heartcatch posted:

I'm looking at doing the same. What resources are you using?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah, now I'm a hostage. :saddowns:

Bonzo posted:

I'm looking at doing the same. What resources are you using?

Currently I have the book Mastering Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Services, Microsoft Azure Solutions (Exam 70-533) – 9 Course Bundle at udemy, and some Azure courses on acloud.guru. The latter is fairly grab bag, but poke around and see if there's anything you'd like.

I'm also completely open to any other suggestions for study guides!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Wheres some good starting points for O365 administration. I'm getting onto a team to lead the Microsoft Teams transition and I would love to know more about the backend stuff and get a cert outta it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
god drat gently caress Microsoft exams forever. Super tough, very specific, and covered quite a few topics none of my coursework covered. But! I passed the 70-533!

Key takeaway: A lot of the questions were basically applying theory to things I had no idea about. Things like "Make sure you have all the components a thing would use before making the thing," and "when using powershell to create things, it's almost always New-AzureRM<resourcename>"

Now to pass the 'upgrade' exam before March when this cert means nothing or I've completely wasted my time.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
One of the not-so-great parts of my new job is that I have to earn CompTIA A+/Net+/Sec+ and MCSA Windows 10 within a year of my start date. They pay for the exams and provide good training resources.

I'm not worried - vaguely annoyed, not worried - about the CompTIA exams since I previously had all 3 and I know how easy they are once you memorize the pretty useless trivia they make you study (how many pins does the AMD Socket AM3 have? :v: ). I wish I had just retaken Sec+ a few months back when I still had them to refresh them, but I didn't know this would come up.

I am a little concerned about all 3 of those plus the Microsoft cert within a year, since I remember Windows 7 MCSA being a bitch due to Microsoft's focus on gotcha questions and memorizing the specific way they want you to do things which often conflicts with how people do things in the real world.

New boss said she gives her team an hour off the phones every day that's intended for studying (which isn't lunch), so I'm calling that two hours a day of studying away from home, which sounds pretty amazing.

I start next week and I'm hoping to schedule the first A+ exam within a week or two. I want to finish all of the CompTIA exams within 3 months at most to give myself plenty of time on the MCSA.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

One of the not-so-great parts of my new job is that I have to earn CompTIA A+/Net+/Sec+ and MCSA Windows 10 within a year of my start date. They pay for the exams and provide good training resources.

I'm not worried - vaguely annoyed, not worried - about the CompTIA exams since I previously had all 3 and I know how easy they are once you memorize the pretty useless trivia they make you study (how many pins does the AMD Socket AM3 have? :v: ). I wish I had just retaken Sec+ a few months back when I still had them to refresh them, but I didn't know this would come up.

I am a little concerned about all 3 of those plus the Microsoft cert within a year, since I remember Windows 7 MCSA being a bitch due to Microsoft's focus on gotcha questions and memorizing the specific way they want you to do things which often conflicts with how people do things in the real world.

New boss said she gives her team an hour off the phones every day that's intended for studying (which isn't lunch), so I'm calling that two hours a day of studying away from home, which sounds pretty amazing.

I start next week and I'm hoping to schedule the first A+ exam within a week or two. I want to finish all of the CompTIA exams within 3 months at most to give myself plenty of time on the MCSA.

Just FYI, MCSA Windows 10 is being retired at the end of March.

e; Microsoft is doing a massive reorg of their certifications, anyone studying for a Microsoft cert right now should check on their website to see what the process is going forward. For the people I see studying Azure, if you pass by end of year you need to take another exam before march that is a bridge between the old and new exam

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

Yeah, now I'm a hostage. :saddowns:

Currently I have the book Mastering Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Services, Microsoft Azure Solutions (Exam 70-533) – 9 Course Bundle at udemy, and some Azure courses on acloud.guru. The latter is fairly grab bag, but poke around and see if there's anything you'd like.

I'm also completely open to any other suggestions for study guides!

Thanks! I have access to free access to Lynda.com from my local library and found some good videos there. https://gyfb.ca/ is a site run by one the instructors and a pretty good resource for the new tests

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Just FYI, MCSA Windows 10 is being retired at the end of March.

e; Microsoft is doing a massive reorg of their certifications, anyone studying for a Microsoft cert right now should check on their website to see what the process is going forward. For the people I see studying Azure, if you pass by end of year you need to take another exam before march that is a bridge between the old and new exam

This is... really good to know, thanks. Checking with my future boss as to what she thinks I should do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Failed my CCNA Security 210-260 exam by one drat question :argh:

Gonna schedule my re-take for a week or two.

UPDATE: Passed the test this morning.

If anyone is studying for Cisco stuff, Boson is an incredible resource.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm studying for N+ and CBTnugget's 280-some 5 minute videos can gently caress right off. Seriously? Who the hell thought that was a good idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm studying for N+ and CBTnugget's 280-some 5 minute videos can gently caress right off. Seriously? Who the hell thought that was a good idea.

I mean, that's the "Nuggets" part of CBTNuggets.

Their CCNA course had lots of 5-10min videos while their CCNA Security course had fewer, 45-60min videos. I vastly preferred the smaller, broken up video series but I get that's not for everyone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a CBT Nuggets sub and some of the courses just felt like the guys were drawing things out to reach a time allocation

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I need to get real familiar with AWS, real fast.

I've been doing their online training courses (the South Park style ones) and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and pick up some AWS certs. Are the videos adequate material, or can anyone recommend supplemental stuff?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

I need to get real familiar with AWS, real fast.

I've been doing their online training courses (the South Park style ones) and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and pick up some AWS certs. Are the videos adequate material, or can anyone recommend supplemental stuff?

familiar with what parts?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jeoh posted:

familiar with what parts?

All of it, but especially on the security side so I can dig around with splunk and better understand the python behind the scenes to pivot more effectively. I picked up a zero to hero Udemy course on python so I can sharpen that up (though any other recommendations are definitely welcome). Hell, while I'm asking for advice, Splunk is something else I need to sharpen up as well. I'm redoing the fundamentals course and looking to build on that.

Tl;dr started a new job while they're in the middle of an infrastructure haulover, so new tools all around. During a training scenario I just felt like I had my pants yanked down in front of the class, so it's sink or swim for me right now :sludgepal:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is their training free or paywalled?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There’s a good AWS thread in Cavern of COBOL, too, if you have questions about something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Learning “all of it” is going to overwhelm you. Spell out the likely scenarios and people can point you in the direction of what areas to focus on - and post in the thread in the Cavern of COBOL as well.

Is your migration just shifting a bunch of VMs onto EC2, or are you reworking applications as well?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Udemy is running some really good deals for Black Friday. I picked up Azure, Sec+, Net+ and ITIL for under $100.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hey, nice! I hope that Azure course works out for you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

Learning “all of it” is going to overwhelm you. Spell out the likely scenarios and people can point you in the direction of what areas to focus on - and post in the thread in the Cavern of COBOL as well.

Is your migration just shifting a bunch of VMs onto EC2, or are you reworking applications as well?
Thanks! I'll dig up that thread... I need to spend more time there anyways.

I'm still very new at this job, hell I only just got my laptop about a week and a half ago so I'm not too sure on infrastructure other than that there's a general push to move away from dedicated data centers onto AWS. Several teams have been getting together and doing worst case scenarios where all we know is "something bad happened" and have to dig through splunk notable events and cloud trail to figure out what the hell happened, and there are glaring holes in my preparation for understanding the intricacies of IAM and EC2 Lambda responders being manipulated into deleting buckets for cloud trail monitoring and logging.

Bit of a derail, but since I kinda need to learn everything about AWS and I've been investing a lot of time in their training courses, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be much of a stretch to pick up some foundational level AWS certs, and if any goons had done that and might have any advice on study materials or cert pathways.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The foundational AWS Solutions Architect Associate cert is very broad, and very, very thin (except you do need to know about security group stuff). I'm halfway through the Udemy(aCloudGuru) course now and wondering if it's still worth my time, since I already learned what I need for my job.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MrKatharsis posted:

The foundational AWS Solutions Architect Associate cert is very broad, and very, very thin (except you do need to know about security group stuff). I'm halfway through the Udemy(aCloudGuru) course now and wondering if it's still worth my time, since I already learned what I need for my job.

go to your boss and say i got this cert, give me a raise please.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m working on my last class to graduate at WGU. This loving SQL data management course. The project has to be perfect not just passing which isn’t the way WGU is supposed to be.2nd submission now...

I pass this then I have one more easier test and finally my degree. 33 days left!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Which degree did you do? I’ve considered getting a masters there but their current offerings are kind of blah.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bigass Moth posted:

Which degree did you do? I’ve considered getting a masters there but their current offerings are kind of blah.

What don’t you like?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m finishing my BS in IT this December.

For a masters degree so many well known schools have online programs these days I would personally go with an established brick and mortar college. I’m tired of WGU and can’t wait to finish so my opinion may be biased.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Georgia Tech's online masters program is pretty legit and it's not that much more than WGU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Whom here has graduated from WGU?

Which program did you take, what’d you think and how did employment prospects turn out?