Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Decently large cities with zero spacing and you can make some serious urban sprawl.

It still does force some forests and stuff to spawn in between.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started playing this game earnestly for the first time after having a couple false starts years back and I enjoy the game a lot, especially starting with nothing and getting through the early stages. Right now I can comfortably survive the first few days, get a basic base set up but wondering where and how to go from there. Not necessarily asking for advice here because discovery is a huge part of enjoyment right now.

I do have some questions, though: I thought the self bow sucked because I was pressing f twice which not only always missed but also ate a lot of time during which the zombies managed to get to me. Then I actually bothered to read the menu that pops up after pressing f once and turns out if you press anything but f the bow works great! I think I'm used to pressing f twice from other roguelikes and it tripped me up but what's wrong with it exactly?

Also, and this is a weird one I guess, I'm playing on a 32" 4K monitor and no matter what Width and Height I set, everything is too small. I guess that's because the game tries to make the fonts pixel perfect unless I toggle scaling? That does nothing for me except make the game more blurry. I just want to increase the font size I think but can't figure it out.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Pressing F twice just fires as fast as possible, taking no time to actually aim. It works okay at point-blank with pistols or shotguns, but in all other cases it's basically just a very time-efficient way to miss. For reasonably accurate shooting, (f)ire a (c)areful shot; for very precise and/or long-range shooting, (f)ire a (p)recise shot. The big advantages of bows are that they tend to not need a tremendous amount of aiming time and their reload time is more or less nil, so you can kite stuff around whittling it down with relatively accurate shots.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also, in cases of extreme urgency, you can hit (f) to begin aiming, then manually steady your aim by pressing (.) to pass a tenth of a turn at a time. You'll see your chance to hit rising as this happens, and it's useful early on because you can let the shot fly as soon as you've got a decent chance, which is also affected by how close the enemy approaches while you're lining up your aim. As things get more reliable you can easily just lean on the preset levels (c)areful or (p)recise, but early on the granular control might help.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks, manually steading is great! Used that a bunch until I learned what's the ideal distance for the various presets.

Anyway, this is what happened today: I've been looking for a source of water for a long time and everywhere was frozen, I decided to bring my brazier to one of the toilets and just boil the water there. One trip didn't go so well because the city was swarming with zombies around the buildings I planned to get into so I looked at the map and saw mansion down south. Never been into one but I figured they must have toilets, right? No zombies outside, just a few inside on my way to the toilet which was by a huge indoor swimming pool. The toilet was a tiny 2 space room so I stood near the toilet and put the brazier behind me. I was thinking that because I found some books around the mansion so I could read some stuff while the wood is burning. Boiled a lot of water, filled my thermos and plastic canteen that I've luckily found just minutes before arriving to the mansion. I've started reading some books but then I got a message asking if I want to stop reading because there was noise nearby. I guess I had a huge brain fart at that point because I decided to take down the brazier thinking it will remove the fire as well. It did not. I was stuck in the small toilet with fire between me and freedom. I tried emptying my containers onto the fire but I did not put it out. Instead of getting burnt to a crisp I decided to quickly get over the fire and jump into the pool. It worked but now my legs are disabled!

drat and it was going so well up until that point :v: I've read I can put splints on my legs but my first aid is literally 0. Outside is freezing and my boots and socks have been burnt off so I cannot get to my shelter either :suicide:

I'll try and get through but even if I die it was definitely a good learning experience.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Adapt and overcome. Make the mansion your new home. It should have plenty of worthwhile materials in it.
Unless it burnt down, I guess.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Even if it mostly burnt down, mansions almost invariably have basements and/or second stories, so you might be able to find somewhere to hunker down on a different Z-level.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Unless it's a cursed mansion made of nothing but dining rooms.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Maybe one of the dining rooms will have a zweihander and full plate armor?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Thank god someone made an ebook digitization mod I can play this game again, welcome back traveling ups murderhobo.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I drove by a reality tear or whatever they're called and got mutated by something, now I have a permanent Minor Radioactivity which gives me constant nausea. The Prussian blue pills literally do nothing as far as I can tell. A few days ago it got worse and the mutation turned into Radioactivity. I luckily found a purifier on some dead NPC but unfortunately it only knocked it back down to Minor Radioactivity so I still get nauseated all the time. Is there anything else I can do save for somehow getting my cooking to 9 and hoping for recipe for the purifier or randomly stumbling upon NPC having them?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You're probably dead.
But you could try raiding underground labs. They're much more likely to have purifier lying around.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I drove by a reality tear or whatever they're called and got mutated by something, now I have a permanent Minor Radioactivity which gives me constant nausea. The Prussian blue pills literally do nothing as far as I can tell. A few days ago it got worse and the mutation turned into Radioactivity. I luckily found a purifier on some dead NPC but unfortunately it only knocked it back down to Minor Radioactivity so I still get nauseated all the time. Is there anything else I can do save for somehow getting my cooking to 9 and hoping for recipe for the purifier or randomly stumbling upon NPC having them?

yeah, not much you can do other than finding another dead scientist spawn or getting lucky and finding some in a bank vault if you have the computer skill.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Are you living out of a static base? If so, you gotta hit the road and stay moving. Radiation will gradually build up in any tile you spend a lot of time in, so you can extend your life a fair bit by travelling around in your twilight months.

If you've found a science ID, travel to the ends of suspiciously remote and lonely roads and look for a lab. If you haven't, do that anyway, but bring an acetylene torch or jackhammer and some really, really good armour.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you living out of a static base? If so, you gotta hit the road and stay moving. Radiation will gradually build up in any tile you spend a lot of time in, so you can extend your life a fair bit by travelling around in your twilight months.

If you've found a science ID, travel to the ends of suspiciously remote and lonely roads and look for a lab. If you haven't, do that anyway, but bring an acetylene torch or jackhammer and some really, really good armour.

Yeah I am but I know I'm literally dying so I just packed up most of my stuff and got my first vehicle set up with some crafting rigs. Might be too late, though, because when I was addind the last part it said I got hurt when nothing was around so I guess Irradiated[20] is when poo poo hits the fan?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Well, I died but not the way I expected! I drove to literally the first dead end road I could see on the map and indeed found a lab. Everything was going well until I opened a door and got massacred by a turret because I wasn't wearing armor. Pretty good for my third game, survived 45 days and took with me 343 zombies. Next time I'll put more emphasis on armor for sure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah the turrets in science labs are really sort of binary. they use 9mm ammo and rely on a wall of lead strategy, so they will absolutely eviscerate you if you don't have armor, but if you do the shots will ping off you like rain. a heavy survivor suit is enough to handle them, though obviously that entails some serious encumbrance.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I believe you can also step into their line of sight for a single turn before they fire. So you ought to be able to peek into rooms you suspect may have one iirc

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can use shift-X (I think?) to peek around corners and through adjacent open doors instead of doing that, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One handy trick is that they only shoot if they can see you, so you can do things like push fridges and bookshelves in front of yourself to block them from seeing you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks for all the tips. Dying stupidly like that is definitely on me because I wasn't wearing any armor and somehow I thought I could wing it.

Also in the lab I found the stem cell treatment thingy, it put my Radioactivity mutation back to Minor Radioactivity but didn't erase that even after 3 more attempts. How exactly does stem cell treatment work? I've read it can replace lost limbs but nothing more than than, really.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for all the tips. Dying stupidly like that is definitely on me because I wasn't wearing any armor and somehow I thought I could wing it.

Also in the lab I found the stem cell treatment thingy, it put my Radioactivity mutation back to Minor Radioactivity but didn't erase that even after 3 more attempts. How exactly does stem cell treatment work? I've read it can replace lost limbs but nothing more than than, really.

I don't think the stem cell computer can fix mutations. you probably just got lucky with the radiation mutation check and it downgraded.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Got back into this for a spell. The zone system and being able to mark a firewood source tile removes a whole load of tedium.

Just trying to find some end goal now to keep me occupied since i have gotten most hard starts down to an art and am a little bored of the whole killdozer idea.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Telsa Cola posted:

Got back into this for a spell. The zone system and being able to mark a firewood source tile removes a whole load of tedium.

Just trying to find some end goal now to keep me occupied since i have gotten most hard starts down to an art and am a little bored of the whole killdozer idea.

Gather a horde of NPCs and force feed them mutagen until you have an army of Hulks manning you killdozer

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Evilreaver posted:

Gather a horde of NPCs and force feed them mutagen until you have an army of Hulks manning you killdozer

Can you give npcs CBMs? Having an army of hydraulic muscles unarmed dudes would be neat.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Telsa Cola posted:

Can you give npcs CBMs? Having an army of hydraulic muscles unarmed dudes would be neat.

yes in fact!

They'll never use actives, but most straight passives (like +stat or +skill) work just fine
Just sit them on the couch and tell the autodoc to get to work-- install 6 at a time nbd

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just got back into this as well after not playing for ages. It took me some adjusting since my preferred start (school) is now WAY more dangerous but I still like the roleplaying side of being some moody teen having a very bad day so I've mostly figured it out at this point. All the NPC camp and faction stuff is pretty new to me though - how does that all work? The last time I played NPCs would basically just give you random missions and maybe trade and otherwise were essentially just handy distractions to lead zombies into (and sometimes you'd get lucky like I did a few games ago where they start with a machete and are basically a human blender)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you have at least 2 NPC followers you can go to any suitable location (the center of any 3x3 square of field tiles on the overmap) and talk to your followers about starting a faction camp. Whoever you talk to will be the new camp leader and you won't be able to train/trade/etc with them anymore but you can talk to them to build up the camp over time, using raw materials, tools, and food supply.
I've never gotten very far because anything past the first few stages requires an obscene amount of logs/2x4s but ostensibly they can do things like run farms, smiths, and even vehicle chop shops for you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

If you have at least 2 NPC followers you can go to any suitable location (the center of any 3x3 square of field tiles on the overmap) and talk to your followers about starting a faction camp. Whoever you talk to will be the new camp leader and you won't be able to train/trade/etc with them anymore but you can talk to them to build up the camp over time, using raw materials, tools, and food supply.
I've never gotten very far because anything past the first few stages requires an obscene amount of logs/2x4s but ostensibly they can do things like run farms, smiths, and even vehicle chop shops for you.

Well thats the new goal now. See how far I can go with a camp before I die doing something stupid.

Also has anyone ever nuked the map tile they were on? Curious how that works.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Vib Rib posted:

Does that actually work, or is that just one of the devs ideas? I haven't played with NPCs enabled for years.

It sounds awesome.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 14, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kayle7 posted:

Does that actually work, or is that just one of the devs ideas? I haven't played with NPCs enabled for years.

It sounds awesome.

I gave it a test run with dev mode enabled to make sure there wasnt anything hosed up with. It. The tldr is that it's barely functional and kinda microy to the point where even I dont want to do a serious run with that as an end game goal.

The long answer is that because of the way the zones are set up, everything needed for NPC construction or production of an item needs to be within the 6 square around your camp head in the main, tiny tent, making the storage things in other buildings you can make useless.

This means that instead of putting all your food supplies and cooking gear and tools in the kitchen or the attached pantry, they must instead be near the camp head to allow your other npc's to use them. This makes the well addons for the kitchen useless, as well as all that storage space unless you personally want to use it all. I tested this by dropping kitchen tools into the kitchen and seeing if I could make poo poo or upgrade the kitchen with them, no dice.

NPC crafting is okay I guess if you want to question up a bunch of poo poo or items that take up a long time but again you are going to need to make sure that everything you want is around the main camp head, and given the small amount of space there It either wont all fit or will be very messy, especially since all your construction items consisting of hundreds of two by fours and logs also needs to share that space.

NPCs also dont seem to like the "Stay at this camp order" as I either had to recruit them again with a chance to fail the persuasion attempt and then they wander off or they would immediately run out of the camp to go fight a dog 5 map tiles away or something. NPCs can also only be assigned to tasks when they are in visual range of you (and I think the camp head), this doesnt sound that bad but they often refused to enter the camp heads tent which made it very annoying to assign tasks.

Farming is also currently bugged and so you cant have NPCs plant so that ones a bust. It will duplicate seeds though so I guess that's fun.

The menial jobs task is supposed to help you organize poo poo around the camp, but again its useless because everything only works if you dump poo poo in the main tent, and not in the other boxes and shelves in other buildings.

NPCs returning from tasks dump poo poo off into the main tent, which I guess is kinda nice given that it needs to be there to be used but I would have enjoyed having my hunters drop berries and corpses at the kitchen.

NPCs will not automatically butcher food or prep food from its raw stage to edible stage meaning you are going to need to do this yourself (for butchering) and then ask them to do this. And for some stupid reason NPCs cant just make plain cooked meat.

A better system for it would be allowing you to assign npcs to specific buildings and have them be stationed there like the camp head is in the main tent. The npc would then have a zone of interaction within that building and a tile in an associated building to drop off or take resources as needed.

An example of this would be the farm dropping off produce into the kitchen pantry when harvesting is done. The cook npc could then pull those items from the pantry and use them, dropping them off either into the abstracted NPC food stockpile or into the dining room based on players choice.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 14, 2019

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Ahhh, that's a shame but it's about what I figured

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Its half finished, the dev for it quit because someone made it so you can organize your loot with zones and they threw a tantrum because that was easier than setting up a camp to do the same thing but slowly.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
call me a loving moron but i can't figure out how to move around the main tabs in the settings menu in the newest experimental. haven't played this game for years and it's already janked me

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Its half finished, the dev for it quit because someone made it so you can organize your loot with zones and they threw a tantrum because that was easier than setting up a camp to do the same thing but slowly.

Ahahaha what.

^ Try Tab.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think this might be the most CDDA thing I have ever read.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

indie devs are the loving worst.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

On a scale of 1 to Flowerchild, thats not even a CJ.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Didn't he have that meltdown in this very thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the only dev for the game we've had in here to my knowledge is glyphgryph and i'm fairly sure he never had a meltdown about anything