Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

having tried both opiates and server-side javascript i can verify from personal experience that only one of them is fun and it's not the javascript

I love opiates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:same:

every time I end up with an injury that requires them I’m a liiiiiittle bit excited

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Achmed Jones posted:

every time I end up with an injury that requires them I’m a liiiiiittle bit excited

I'm having a dental implant on Friday with a sinus augmentation and it's gonna suck but I get to take percocet nonstop for like two weeks

withdrawals are gonna suck rear end though, have to make sure I cut them on a Friday night so I have the weekend to recover

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
*puts on face mask at night* my sinuses are augmented

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
i wonder how america finds itself in an opiate crisis, because that's really hard to

Achmed Jones posted:

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm having a dental implant on Friday with a sinus augmentation and it's gonna suck but I get to take percocet nonstop for like two weeks

withdrawals are gonna suck rear end though, have to make sure I cut them on a Friday night so I have the weekend to recover

.. huh. ok

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

do americans dream of opiate sleep?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Achmed Jones posted:

wtf "every time"??? it has literally never happened to me in almost 40 years on this cursed earth

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I once had a tooth pulled for which I got the one that’s Tylenol and some opiate. I took one then fell asleep extremely worried I wasn’t going to ever wake up but unable to do anything about it.

:shudder:

I’ve never really “gotten” the appeal of opiates.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Schadenboner posted:

fell asleep extremely worried I wasn’t going to ever wake up but unable to do anything about it.

This appeals to some people.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

does windows even have a native widget set anymore (that you’re supposed to use). I do actually install stuff from the windows App Store from time to time and it has all obviously been custom widgets or straight up electron

Visual Studio still supports WinForms for VB/C#
it’s dull as ditchwater and but it gets ‘er done. Basically a wrapper around the old win32 C/C++ api. A total revolution over having to do this in native.

though I’d suspect that the people that really knew that API are hitting retirement
so if this old rear end corner of windows needs maintenance any kid that gets the task has a lot to learn

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Coffee Jones posted:

Visual Studio still supports WinForms for VB/C#
it’s dull as ditchwater and but it gets ‘er done. Basically a wrapper around the old win32 C/C++ api. A total revolution over having to do this in native.

though I’d suspect that the people that really knew that API are hitting retirement
so if this old rear end corner of windows needs maintenance any kid that gets the task has a lot to learn

Hide Coffee Jones posts (Recommended)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Schadenboner posted:

I once had a tooth pulled for which I got the one that’s Tylenol and some opiate. I took one then fell asleep extremely worried I wasn’t going to ever wake up but unable to do anything about it.

:shudder:

I’ve never really “gotten” the appeal of opiates.

have a spine injury and you'll get it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i had a gene screening thing done a whiel back and learned that my body processes opiates much more slowly than normal people so they dont feel like anything to me

the doc gave me a bunch of hydrocodone when i got my tonsils out as an adult and i couldn't figure out how anyone was getting addicted to that stuff because it felt exactly like tylenol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
opiates just make me feel calm and there's like a relaxing hum at the back of my head. I quit smoking cold turkey but opiates are always hard.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
an e-mail just hit the department for our terrible scala programmers to learn from

quote:

Code Rewriting

One of the cool features of the function programming style is that code can be safely rewritten using a set of rules.

it then continues with a list of helpful rules such as

quote:

• !!x ⇔ x
  • !(x || y) ⇔ !x && !y
  • !(x && y) ⇔ !x || !y
  • if ( x ) true else false ⇔ x
  • if ( x ) false else true ⇔ !x
  • val option: Option[Int] = ???
    • option == Some(1) ⇔ option contains 1
    • if (option.isEmpty) 0 else option.get ⇔ option.getOrElse(0)
  • val list: List[Int] = ???
    • list(0) ⇔ list.head
    • !list.isEmpty ⇔ list.nonEmpty

and so on for like... pages

did you know that you can refactor your code in scala for readability just like you can in every other language?

did you know scala data structures have apis?

because now you do!

ps: it includes this line which also “improves readability” so you can get some idea for how awful scala programmers are:

quote:

This powerful equivalence relation can be really insightful:

• if ( x ) y else z ⇔ (!x || y) && (x || z)

because you know I love when inscrutable boolean shortcut operations are used instead of just using an if/else clause

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

an e-mail just hit the department for our terrible scala programmers to learn from

it then continues with a list of helpful rules such as

and so on for like... pages

did you know that you can refactor your code in scala for readability just like you can in every other language?

did you know scala data structures have apis?

because now you do!

ps: it includes this line which also “improves readability” so you can get some idea for how awful scala programmers are:

because you know I love when inscrutable boolean shortcut operations are used instead of just using an if/else clause

scala is a brain disease

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

this email is a brain disease

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

good to know that demorgan's law is a "cool feature of the functional programming style"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

good to know that demorgan's law is a "cool feature of the functional programming style"

like literally none of that is functional programming style

"One of the cool features of the function programming style is that code can be safely rewritten using a set of rules." it's like the person heard of functional purity/referential transparency (that scala doesn't really offer without cats-effect) but completely misunderstood what it meant (and then declared themselves the expert of it)

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 26, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

gonadic io posted:

"One of the cool features of the function programming style is that code can be safely rewritten using a set of rules." it's like the person heard of functional purity/referential transparency (that scala doesn't really offer without cats-effect) but completely misunderstood what it meant (and then declared themselves the expert of it)

this describes my experiences with scala perfectly

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
one thing that often escapes people like that is that lazy evaluation has existed (and been used in C) for loving forever with constructs like

code:
if (foo_ptr && doThing(*foo)) {...}
the issue with that though is that it ONLY works with the built-in, it doesn't work if you tried it with some kind of

code:
if_fn(foo_ptr, doThing(*foo))
which would evaluate doThing(*foo) even if foo is null (causing possible UB while you're at it). haskell's entire thing is that everything is lazy, so that latter thing would work. and in scala you can emulate either behaviour.

e: my C is v bad, people do just use if (foo_ptr) instead of something like if (foo_ptr != NULL) (or != 0) right?

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 26, 2018

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
lazy evaluation isn't the same thing as conditional evaluation, which is what short-circuiting boolean operators do

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Pie Colony posted:

lazy evaluation isn't the same thing as conditional evaluation, which is what short-circuiting boolean operators do

conditional evaluation is a form of lazy evaluation tho. "non-strict" evaluation if you're being full pedant

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

gonadic io posted:

conditional evaluation is a form of lazy evaluation tho. "non-strict" evaluation if you're being full pedant

i mean they're both forms of "not evaluating something" but the lazy in lazy evaluation comes from the fact that the programmer can be lazy and not worry about the condition at all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my org is also full of these bizarre scala enthusiasts who write email essays about how any class that's longer than 20 lines is too big and how scala totes helps you not do that and then sends them to the whole org.

the worst part is how enthusiastic the response to them is. thank God my team has held the line on sticking to java

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

my org is also full of these bizarre scala enthusiasts who write email essays about how any class that's longer than 20 lines is too big and how scala totes helps you not do that and then sends them to the whole org.

the worst part is how enthusiastic the response to them is. thank God my team has held the line on sticking to java

i mean you can totally use scala as a better Lombok too

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one of my former coworkers has a hard and fast rule to say no to any scala job, and they'd look twice as hard into any resume of a scala enthusiast because they considered it a huge red flag

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MononcQc posted:

one of my former coworkers has a hard and fast rule to say no to any scala job, and they'd look twice as hard into any resume of a scala enthusiast because they considered it a huge red flag

"scala enthusiast" lmao

scala is an acceptable middle ground, a compromise. i've never ever met anybody who would say that it's well designed

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
scala is not acceptable

it had some promise at some point, when akka was still kind of relevant. ironically this was when akka (developed by a company called typesafe) didn't, in fact, have typesafe actors

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
scala is unnecessary complexity for the sake of pretending you aren't using java.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shaggar posted:

scala is unnecessary

shaggar is, in this one instance, right

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
the one app i wrote in scalajs was a pleasure to write and i never once saw a runtime error in the browser, and when i had to maintain the app ~18 months later, i had literally zero ramp-up time and it was a pleasure to dig back into my old codebase and effortlessly add new features, which is a singular experience that i never had before or since, so it's hard to hate on scala for me. but i've never had to read some other shithead's garbage scala code and if someone other than me had to maintain my app they'd probably curse my family for seven generations, so i guess i can't blame anyone for hating scala

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Volte posted:

the one app i wrote in scalajs was a pleasure to write and i never once saw a runtime error in the browser, and when i had to maintain the app ~18 months later, i had literally zero ramp-up time and it was a pleasure to dig back into my old codebase and effortlessly add new features, which is a singular experience that i never had before or since, so it's hard to hate on scala for me. but i've never had to read some other shithead's garbage scala code and if someone other than me had to maintain my app they'd probably curse my family for seven generations, so i guess i can't blame anyone for hating scala

yeah it's not the language itself that's a problem. it's the temple of moral degenerates who worship it that are.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
does anyone happen to have a link to that post that had a shitload of questions to ask in an interview?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

yeah it's not the language itself that's a problem. it's the temple of moral degenerates who worship it that are.

your metaphor confuses me, you’re talking about Scala people, but a temple of moral degenerates sounds awesome

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

wtf "every time"??? it has literally never happened to me in almost 40 years on this cursed earth

yeah, codeine cough syrup as a kid and college student with strep (far too sick to enjoy it), vicodin as an adult with a cracked rib or sprain or w/e

it’s prob been a decade since the last time it happened, but that’s mostly because I was too poor to go to the doctor when I was all active and stuff so when I got hurt id just rest and eat lots of otc medicine and hope it got better (it always did hooray)

opiates just make me feel calm and there's like a relaxing hum at the back of my head.

same. I still feel the pain but i don’t mind it, it’s weird. luckily I’ve never had an injury bad enough to get a big enough prescription to develop a dependency so thankfully never had to experience withdrawals

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 27, 2018

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

your metaphor confuses me, you’re talking about Scala people, but a temple of moral degenerates sounds awesome

they're the bad kind of moral degenerate

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fritz posted:

they're the bad kind of moral degenerate

less weird art and drugged up parties and more mods (who knew?)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I used to get codeine syrup for sore throats from urgent care clinics but I’ve noticed in the past few years they just write me some antibiotics and tell me to take ibuprofen then I say “excuse me did you just tell me to go gently caress my self?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

redleader posted:

does anyone happen to have a link to that post that had a shitload of questions to ask in an interview?

They're in the OP of the interviewing thread.