Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1066955853985570817

get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
hey for all you people who are starving, you should know that a can of beans only costs 59 cents

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres so much water outside right now. just falling from the sky.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

hey for all you people who are starving, you should know that a can of beans only costs 59 cents

pfft, ramen costs less than that and you can cook it in your desalinated water!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

"You need sodium for electrolytes. Drink seawater idiots its natures Lucosade"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

what the gently caress?

pennsylvania has no money for anything but was ready to pay bozos 5 billion dollers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

can confirm that doctor who is anime

i watched an episode years ago it was when they were exploring and ended up in a building of evil death vaccine robots and something happened and amy had to be left behind and fight the robots for 40 years then dr who came back with a young amy and old amy suicided herself to save young amy. it kinda hosed me up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im glad desalination plants run on coins and not, like, electricity

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
when was the last time musk heard audible laughter after saying something stupid?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

El_Elegante posted:

when was the last time musk heard audible laughter after saying something stupid?

when’s the last time he tried to sexy talk grimes?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

ok why isn't there a four-finger touchscreen gesture that deactivates it and pops up a giggling anime girl in a snowsuit

four finger death swipe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thanks for the fun fact

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I try to imagine being so rich that every random post I make is reported in the news and held as gospel and it makes me scared.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a pack of six stickers just 29 cents

for sticker fun

just stick with panini

mewse
May 2, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I try to imagine being so rich that every random post I make is reported in the news and held as gospel and it makes me scared.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

im glad desalination plants run on coins and not, like, electricity

he's telling on himself that he doesn't know what his water bill even looks like because in orange county desal water is 5 times as expensive as groundwater

ofc you wouldn't know that if you only read the wikipedia entry (source behind a research login lol) which is clearly what he did

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

that’s rich

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he's telling on himself that he doesn't know what his water bill even looks like because in orange county desal water is 5 times as expensive as groundwater

ofc you wouldn't know that if you only read the wikipedia entry (source behind a research login lol) which is clearly what he did

you mean sourcing all of our fresh water from desalinators would put additional selection pressure on the least fit? how is that something a techlord would object to

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

you mean sourcing all of our fresh water from desalinators would put additional selection pressure on the least fit? how is that something a techlord would object to

There's more to it than that: Desalinization is also raising the salinity of ocean water world wide. Not good.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

of course the answer to "where do we put this waste product" is "let's dump it in the ocean lol"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

There's more to it than that: Desalinization is also raising the salinity of ocean water world wide. Not good.

not really, but it can locally elevate salinity in more confined bodies of water

but that's not really comparable to the changing oceanic conditions caused by climate change, which can include increasing and decreasing salinity

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

this seems really unlikely (at least on a global scale, i know it can and does locally gently caress up the water) so i went to wikipedia to see if there's a source for it and instead found this line that was clearly put there by a company:

quote:

A new approach that works like a solar still, but on the scale of industrial evaporation ponds is the integrated biotectural system.[60] It can be considered "full desalination" because it converts the entire amount of saltwater intake into distilled water. One of the advantages of this system is the feasibility for inland operation. Standard advantages also include no air pollution and no temperature increase of endangered natural water bodies from power plant cooling-water discharge.

[60] goes to this press release about the "integrated biotectural system": http://www.prototype-creation.de/Inland_desalination.pdf

quote:

Desalination is the process of producing fresh water from saline water. This document describes a building, comparable to a traditional solar still, but on an industrial scale. The building, called the “Integrated Biotectural System” or IBTS Greenhouse can produce 500.000 cubic meters of distillate per day. The IBTS operates on new and undisclosed evaporation and condensation concepts and novel combinations of alternative energy production and storage technologies available on the market.

oh good it's magic :allears:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

of course the answer to "where do we put this waste product" is "let's dump it in the ocean lol"

its already full of fish poop and whale semen anyway

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

not really, but it can locally elevate salinity in more confined bodies of water

but that's not really comparable to the changing oceanic conditions caused by climate change, which can include increasing and decreasing salinity

The problem is increasingly large amounts of seawater is being sourced for drinking water, and while desalinization is not large enough right now to be an issue, with inland fresh water being steadily depleted, its going to mean more desalinization in the future, with catastrophically exponential amounts of fresh water being sourced from the sea.

Its going to have an impact.

http://pacinst.org/publication/desal-marine-impacts/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its not like the water disappears after it gets desalinated, piped to me, and peed in. local salinity increases: yes duh. global: how?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

its not like the water disappears after it gets desalinated, piped to me, and peed in. local salinity increases: yes duh. global: how?

Its usually not drained back into the ocean either, usually municipal water systems do not drain immediately back into their sources.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, as far as worries go that really has to be pretty far down the list

the energy use being the very obvious immediate worry

lucky cape town got a reasonably rainy winter this year

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so you are saying that the water does disappear, just after i stop looking at it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

so you are saying that the water does disappear, just after i stop looking at it

.....no. Why would that be your takeaway?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

.....no. Why would that be your takeaway?

im trying to understand how the total volume of water in the ocean decreases due to desalination

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

im trying to understand how the total volume of water in the ocean decreases due to desalination

Mixture changes, not volume.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is increasingly large amounts of seawater is being sourced for drinking water, and while desalinization is not large enough right now to be an issue, with inland fresh water being steadily depleted, its going to mean more desalinization in the future, with catastrophically exponential amounts of fresh water being sourced from the sea.

lol your own source describes the impacts as acutely local

i don't think you get how much water is in all of the oceans on the planet

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Mixture changes, not volume.

oh where is the additional salt coming from. it wasn't clear to me where in the remove water from ocean -> desalinize -> dump waste into ocean process we are adding salt

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol your own source describes the impacts as acutely local

"These impacts, however, are not well understood. More research is needed, especially to understand the long-term impacts. "

oh where is the additional salt coming from. it wasn't clear to me where in the remove water from ocean -> desalinize -> dump waste into ocean process we are adding salt

After removal from the water, the salt is discharged, however it does not tend to re-mix as readily as it was mixed at time of desalinization, and sinks to the bottom of the ocean rather than returning to normal concentration.

I'll admit, the issue is just starting to be researched, but much like ocean acidity, its likely we don't fully understand the impact and that is no reason to ignore it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 27, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

"These impacts, however, are not well understood. More research is needed, especially to understand the long-term impacts. "

idk you sounded pretty clear on the impact

CommieGIR posted:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CommieGIR posted:

also why not pump the excess exttra salty water to huge salt evaporation ponds so i can put salt on my popcorn?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

idk you sounded pretty clear on the impact

When has humans dumping mass quantities of something into something ever been "You know what, this'll have no long term impacts whatsoever" been the result?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

yes, long term to local ecologies. this is still v bad. the paper itself defines the mixing zone in meters, maybe try skimming it

the more immediate danger is increasing acidity coupled with reductions in salinity thanks to climate change

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

When has humans dumping mass quantities of something into something ever been "You know what, this'll have no long term impacts whatsoever" been the result?

oh yes it's p much guaranteed that supplying a significant fraction of the world's freshwater needs by desalination will gently caress up coastal zones in some way or another

my questions are related to your claim that it will also raise salinity globally. that is a very interesting proposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

CommieGIR posted:

i mean, look at you’re posts