Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Muteba is immune to getting flashbacks because his backstory is very cut and dry. He’s my pick to go all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m guessing the anomaly that muteba is referring to is his sight, he is accustomed to using his other senses and he doesn’t react fast enough to vision. He got this surprise off on watatuski, but after this he’ll be slower

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

RareAcumen posted:

Now he wants to wait and observe his fighting style.

I don't think this has ever been stated and if it has it's kinda stupid considering the Fang's whole deal is he doesn't have a style, or if he does its one that's constantly changing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

I don't think this has ever been stated and if it has it's kinda stupid considering the Fang's whole deal is he doesn't have a style, or if he does its one that's constantly changing.

Well, I don't know what he's doing if that's not the case. Pick a seed far away from him and watch how he fights before your rematch seems like a solid plan to me. I don't know if he was in a Kengan tournament like this when he fought him the first time or what so I can't say if he just got caught off guard by him or he knew the Fang was a monster and was just garbage like Ohma when the story started.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's still a really dumb plan because it assumes the rest of the field is cans he doesn't have to use his two secret aces against

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think the author has fallen in love with muteba as much as the rest of us so he's not going to lose this

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 194

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
You people had to go and jinx it.

I do appreciate Muteba going "Hm, yep, my arm's hosed up, not gonna get further than this, might as well spare myself further injury."

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Muteba is the smartest guy in the tournament.

I love that it's perfectly consistent with his character. When he gets his eyes his thought process is not "now I can win the tournament", it's "now I can make SO MUCH MONEY at my job"

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tonfa posted:

Muteba is the smartest guy in the tournament.

I love that it's perfectly consistent with his character. When he gets his eyes his thought process is not "now I can win the tournament", it's "now I can make SO MUCH MONEY at my job"

Yeah, he's a merc first and a fighter second so he ain't getting himself killed.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Reading Kengan makes a lot of other fight sequences in other comics feel stale and/or less readable, despite the fact that a lot of other comics feature far more fantastical(sci fi, magic) elements than this comic. Subtle things like Muteba redirecting a blow on his shoulder or silently showcasing how explosive Waka starts a fight is really well done.

And often having every maneuver explained/analysed is boring AF and a sign that the author isn't clear in their intent yet here it works really well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Them new Muteba eyes cost an arm and a leg, huh!

I'm not super sure if Muteba is doing the smart thing because he's a merc or if he's gonna try and pull a fast one over Waka. I do appreciate Waka's gimmick being kept consistent. If it hits ya, you're taking BIG DAMAGE.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"i can't afford to take a serious hit from this guy, otherwise i won't be able to beat him

i took a serious hit from this guy. therefore, i can't beat him, so i forfeit"

muteba is not only strong, cool and handsome, he is also very smart

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Muteba will have been completely hosed up aside from his arm. Definitely the smartest fighter in the tournament

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i wish this fight was maybe a chapter longer but i feel this conclusion is extremely consistent with muteba's character

the whole time he's been commenting he's like "why are you doing it like this it's not worth it" and he ends his run with "why would i do this it's not worth it"

also great reveal on wakatsuki's eye, which makes sense

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Waka is so hosed up he's probably gonna try to Blast Ohma, get hit with some redirection BS and explode.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I respect a man whose decided that there aren't enough zeroes on the check for getting punched into a crater.

Kinda annoyed Waka is probably gonna mostly walk off having the bulk of a dudes fingers stabbed into his neck though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Muteba jobs for no man

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Muteba keeps the fight money he's received so far, builds a great reputation for professionalism and skill amongst a large crowd of potential future employers, walks away with an intact body and no permanent injuries, picks up a set of mecha-eyes that will help him in his career, earns the gratitude of the injured fighters in the medical clinic when he rescued them, and leaves behind a trail of very happy and satisfied women.

Muteba has played his cards extremely well and is by far the coolest and smartest fighter in the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's regretful that he won't fight ohma, but this is a very reasonable way for muteba to make his exit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Muteba has to lose because Daromeon's hand looks like those bodyguards after Kiryu got a hold of him and he couldn't keep drawing those tattoos for another two fights.

The rest of his appearances will now be from at least 60 yards away from everyone else so he doesn't have to draw all the details anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Muteba has to lose because Daromeon's hand looks like those bodyguards after Kiryu got a hold of him and he couldn't keep drawing those tattoos for another two fights.

The rest of his appearances will now be from at least 60 yards away from everyone else so he doesn't have to draw all the details anymore.

Muteba is going to be wearing long sleeves from now on like Adam.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
muteba no longer has to fight so he can wear dandy suits

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

muteba no longer has to fight so he can wear dandy suits

drat straight. The smartest fighter out there, even in looks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Muteba has jabbed his way into all of our hearts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Normally you'd think "this guy took one solid hit and then tapped out" would be a lovely fight, but it's really good because it makes 100% sense here and is really good.

Whatever Muteba was being paid was probably insufficient to compensate for spending a year in traction from getting his entire skeleton smashed to paste by a superhuman monster to win a fight that isn't even the last fight he'd need to win today, especially since he can now make even more money as a mercenary.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

After this he'd have to face Ohma and after which he'd either fight Fang, Gensai or Sen. Ohma, Gensai and Fang would seriously gently caress him up even if he'd win.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Kanos posted:

a year in traction

Odd way to spell a few minutes in the infirmary and a couple days of bedrest

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What I'm wondering is, after all the stuff we've seen people quickly recover from, Why does Himuro still have his arm in a cast? Haruo iswalking around after being impaled.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Robinson is still on a wheelchair too

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Screw you muteba bazinga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My favorite thing about the chapter was the fact that shark-toothed lady is a fan of Predator.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pewdiepie posted:

Screw you muteba bazinga.

Lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dias posted:

Muteba has jabbed his way into all of our hearts.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Himuro's arm being perpetually broken was a huge meme in the Japanese comment section.

Dr Christmas posted:

What I'm wondering is, after all the stuff we've seen people quickly recover from, Why does Himuro still have his arm in a cast? Haruo iswalking around after being impaled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
breaking himuro's arm was kaneda's sole accomplishment in life. him fighting gaolang was more one-sided than rihito vs. gensai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This just proves that Kaneda causes the most lasting damage* out of anyone in the manga.

*That isn't lethal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

breaking himuro's arm was kaneda's sole accomplishment in life. him fighting gaolang was more one-sided than rihito vs. gensai.

If Kaneda was able to beat Himuro, imagine what Himuro vs Gaolang would have been like.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

"i can't afford to take a serious hit from this guy, otherwise i won't be able to beat him

i took a serious hit from this guy. therefore, i can't beat him, so i forfeit"

muteba is not only strong, cool and handsome, he is also very smart

It's more like continuing fighting at this point, win or lose, will cost him in his actual profession as a mercenary. This was a sidejob, why pull a Ohma or Wata here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, I think Muteba could still have won here if he absolutely needed to--Wakatsuki is beaten up really badly as well. But he doesn't have any reason to throw himself into that meat grinder, so why bother?