Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

FYI I believe that Meating Street BBQ in Roswell is now the best BBQ in the area (for my tastes) and the Po'Boy Shop in the same shopping center as Community Q is real good.

awesome, I have been meaning to check out the po boy shop. excited to give it a go.

I'm on shut the cluck up item number 17, and fully enamored. I figured I'd get sick of gastrointestinal distress and back down to the drat hot level, but it just isn't right without the burn.

I ordered a grilled tender with the spice and it was actually really good in its own right - I'm hoping a salad or something will appear on the menu and let me ingest spicy firey lard and chicken parts without a billion fried calories, but maybe just wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Finally made it to New Realm Brewery. meh. The upstairs views are pretty neat, good event place. Food was alright and on par for a brewery.

But we saw Estrella next door and it looked hoppin'. Anyone been yet? Bazati looks pretty swanky too (downstairs).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

BullyBoy is (quietly) open now. It's the new spot from Concentrics group and is in the same compound as Two Urban Licks and New Realm. Their website still seems to be a work in progress but food and service were both very good last night, especially for a spot that just opened. We only got through about half the menu but really enjoyed everything we had; standouts for me were: lobster frites, blue crab fried rice w/ omelette, clam chowder carbonara, and the rabbit patty melt. I really liked some of the lighter dishes too like the bibb salad, the crab/mango salad, and the red snapper tartare. Looking forward to getting back soon to try more of the composed plates as well as one of their "feasts".

BTW one of my friends is running the kitchen but I don't think I'm too biased, I would've given it a big thumbs up even if I didn't know anyone there/didn't get comped stuff.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I took a trip to India over thanksgiving, and I'm pleased to report that buhi / 78 / atlanta's indian community does an awesome job of it. I didn't have an overwhelming amount of food that was qualitatively better than what we get here, nor that many things you just never see around these parts. there were exceptions obviously, lots of regional cuisine (goan, peshwari stuff, etc) that were a bit special, but just figured the experience was worth mentioning.

In reviews, what chall think about Watchmen? I've been 3 times now, mixed feelings. Same for Banshee in east atlanta.

Unrelated, I feel like there are a whollle lot of new places in Atlanta that have popped up over the past 3 months. Haven't been to any yet, but looking forward to making a deep dive during dec! If anyone has anything new and outstanding, let us know. Estrella is on my list.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

In reviews, what chall think about Watchmen? I've been 3 times now, mixed feelings. Same for Banshee in east atlanta.

Unrelated, I feel like there are a whollle lot of new places in Atlanta that have popped up over the past 3 months. Haven't been to any yet, but looking forward to making a deep dive during dec! If anyone has anything new and outstanding, let us know. Estrella is on my list.

I've been to Watchman's twice, and not in the last couple months. My first visit was during the first few days, so I'll excuse that one as it was all over the place. The second was solid, but I didn't love it. I can't really explain why. Nothing stood out as wrong or sub-par, but I didn't love it. For contrast, I love basically every meal I have at Ticonderoga Club.

I went to Banshee once about a month ago. When I try a new place, I usually like to visit a couple times in short period of time to get a better idea of the place and try a few things, but I didn't feel motivated to do that with Banshee. My main of some duck pasta was very bland. I have an acquaintance who worked with the Banshee people at Optimist and he's been a few times and has liked their starters and said the mains all need work. I wouldn't be surprised if it reviews well, but it didn't do anything for me. I'll likely give it another go in a few months assuming I hear some positive stuff from friends or reviews about what dishes to get.

I went to Nina & Rafi's last week on their first day of soft opening and got a Detroit pie without having to go to Duluth, so I was happy. As of my visit, they're basically only serving pizza. More menu items, such as pasta, will be coming in the future.

White Bull in Decatur is great. Highly recommended. I wish Decatur was more convenient for me to get to.

Went to brunch at LLoyd's this past weekend. Had the fried bologna eggs benedict and enjoyed it. I will be back for dinner. The design of the whole place is really remarkable.

I continue to love Meating Street BBQ in Roswell and recommend it to lots of people (I now carry their business cards to give out since it is easier than explaining the name and location). If you go, tell them Rick sent you.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Oh man, I didn't realize Nina & Rafi's had opened. Need that Detroit style pizza in my life so bad.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

Oh man, I didn't realize Nina & Rafi's had opened. Need that Detroit style pizza in my life so bad.

It can be hard to find if you don't know where it is. The street address will put you at the Studioplex complex where Serpas and The Spindle are. Nina & Rafi is actually on the beltline level facing the beltline. If you can find parking in the Studioplex lot, which can be tough due to all the construction taking up spaces, you can walk down some stairs by some mailboxes. Then the restaurant is on the beltline level and, as of my visit, does not have any signage.

Here's a little drawing (first arrow is roughly where the stairs are).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm proud of what we do at Watchman's. We revamped a few things in the past couple months that might be of interest to yall: oysters on happy hour are now super cheap (most are $1.00-$1.50), and we now have six to eight cocktails on our menu that rotate monthly, which is much much more frequently than most places. Current menu has an egg nog with Plantation pineapple rum and house coconut cream. It's loving delicious, and the amount of people who unblinkingly order it with their oysters is absolutely hilarious.

I'm LLooking forward to checking out LLoyd's, too. It's super close to my apartment and all the photos I've seen of the interior are really impressive. Plus they carry loving Labatt Blue and Lone Star. Who does that?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There can never be enough Detroit Pizza available in the whole of this state of GA---so that's great to hear of a newcomer on the beltline at that.

This brings the grand sum up to...about a couple/few!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

It can be hard to find if you don't know where it is...

Thanks for that, I’m going to try my best to get over there this weekend and that’ll be super helpful.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There can never be enough Detroit Pizza available in the whole of this state of GA---so that's great to hear of a newcomer on the beltline at that.

This brings the grand sum up to...about a couple/few!

The only places I know of that do Detroit pizza at all are O4W and Nina & Rafi’s (which seem to be sister restaurants or at least share some owner overlap) and Three Cities in Sweet Auburn Market which has weird hours and kinda mediocre pies. If someone stole the Via 313 concept from Austin and opened the same thing here with a new name, I bet it’d do gang busters. We have so many good Neopolitan style places here and a couple half decent NYC slice places but our Chicago and Detroit (much less Buffalo and New Haven) game is weak af

I’m really hoping Nina & Rafi’s adds the Grandma Pie to the menu too; it was my favorite pie in Atlanta until O4W moved.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah I heavily miss grandma's pie from o4w pie :(

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
We are also getting a Gino's East "soon" and AT LEAST 2 Slim & Husky's somewhere in 2019!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm worried about Gino's East. Excepting the righteous room, that whole block is cursed for food. I hope they make it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite BBQ place, Meating Street BBQ, is closing. :(

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Condolences---that's one of the saddest feelings as a great BBQ place can be enormously hard to find and the gap between them can span years. My beloved Smoquehouse still lives, yet so far away and utterly inundated with catering work that they only open up for a day or so in any given week to function as an actual place to eat.

In other happenings, a recent episode of Atlanta Eats went to Ponce Market to a place I'd never heard of nor saw last time I got to wander around there...which prompted me to check their site for the first time in ages---which led me to see a heap of also apparently new and upcoming stuff though I wonder where they've managed to put everybody as the place seemed pretty full up unless there's been some that have busted out?

So...what is great/real interesting/still alive at Ponce of late for those who actually get there with some regularity?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ExiledTinkerer posted:

So...what is great/real interesting/still alive at Ponce of late for those who actually get there with some regularity?

El Super Pan remains my favorite there. On the second floor is Root Baking Company who make very good bread and have some good lunch and brunch stuff as well. They also recently just started serving dinner, but I haven't tried it yet.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Cuban sandwich at El Super Pan fuckin slaps. It's the only thing I ever eat there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My buddy Jarret is getting his own place: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/12/13/eat-me-speak-me-founder-to-open-first-brick-and.html

Had the burger at Hampton + Hudson for the first time a couple weeks ago and it is great. Had it again today for lunch. Highly recommended.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone have the scoop on what happened to radial cafe? I used to get dinner there a couple times a year, used them for catering events a few times a year - always thought the food was solid/above average, if not a little boring. kinda like a highland bakery or alons level place. anyways they just kinda went dark as far as I can tell - I'd guess some family stuff or just an owner moving on from the restaurant game but...

venutolo posted:

My buddy Jarret is getting his own place: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/12/13/eat-me-speak-me-founder-to-open-first-brick-and.html

Had the burger at Hampton + Hudson for the first time a couple weeks ago and it is great. Had it again today for lunch. Highly recommended.

that's cool, didn't realize you knew the dude. hope his place is a success, and curious to see if he edits at all with a full fledged restaurant. had some really good dinners when he was at the gato space, but also some that were just all over the place. anyways, definitely a positive force in Atlanta's dining scene, and awesome he's landing somewhere more permanent and living the dream.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 14, 2018

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

BullyBoy is (quietly) open now. It's the new spot from Concentrics group and is in the same compound as Two Urban Licks and New Realm. Their website still seems to be a work in progress but food and service were both very good last night, especially for a spot that just opened. We only got through about half the menu but really enjoyed everything we had; standouts for me were: lobster frites, blue crab fried rice w/ omelette, clam chowder carbonara, and the rabbit patty melt. I really liked some of the lighter dishes too like the bibb salad, the crab/mango salad, and the red snapper tartare. Looking forward to getting back soon to try more of the composed plates as well as one of their "feasts".

BTW one of my friends is running the kitchen but I don't think I'm too biased, I would've given it a big thumbs up even if I didn't know anyone there/didn't get comped stuff.

Went tonight and thought it was really good. Duck bao, chanterelle mushroom empanada with black garlic aioli, and lobster frites. Really solid all around. The rest of the menu looked great.

Went to Gino's East last week and thought it was pretty weak.

I was driving in Marietta a few weeks ago and saw a sign for Hoboken Cafe. Hoboken nestled in right next to Jersey City, where my father and his family are from. I stopped because nobody would put Hoboken in the name of their place unless they were from there (unlike something like New York). It is a NJ Italian deli/kitchen, and the guy from Hoboken is named Johnny Pizza (really). The staff there are really great and they clearly have a huge amount of regulars. Definitely worth a try if NJ Italian culture is relevant to you or you just want a NJ Italian deli kind of sandwich.

The new burger at Hampton + Hudson is likely now my favorite burger in town. Highly recommended.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Recommend me a couple good places in Midtown near Peachtree and 14th St. A friend has to stay at the 4 Seasons for a work trip but all my Atlanta knowledge is now 7 years out of date. They won’t have a car with them but a short Uber would be fine.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Empire State South is like four blocks from there. Torched Hop Brewing is also nearby and a nice place to get a beer. They do a double cheeseburger, fries and any draft beer for $10 on Mondays. They could go to Ponce City Market and walk around, there's a bunch of decent-to-awesome food there of all different descriptions. Wagaya is a straight shot west down 14th and has some of my favorite Japanese food in town, very affordable too.

The West Midtown neighborhood is also easily Uberable from that hotel, which has plenty of great dining. Miller Union, Barcelona, Taqueria del Sol, etc.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Thanks! I have also warned him that it is in fact summer there unlike Chicago where it’s 59 degrees on Midsummer!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Who have you all been getting takeout from in this trying time? Or have you all been at home trying to make ciabatta and Grandma pies in between cutting your own hair¿‽

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Gaja's to-go options are pretty nice. My fiance and I are actually planning on ordering from Kimball House tomorrow. They include loaves of bread and pints of ice cream on their to-go menu, which is really cool. Bottles of wine are priced at a really low markup.

I actually just started bartending at Little Bear in Summerhill right before this all happened. We pivoted to a to-go prix fixe tasting menu for two at $55 that people have just not been able to get enough of. I honestly think it's the best to-go offering on this side of town. Menu changes every week. Check it out on Instagram.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Way cool. Unbelievable timing he finally gets his own joint and then pandemic strikes. I'm in the middle of moving for related reasons and among my wares found a few old EMSM menus & backyard drink lists, which I will cherish.
Are you on unemployment/CARE now or have you found a temporary hustle?
I saw Talat Market's taking pick up orders starting Sunday evening.
All totally vicarious to me; flying back to ATL to catch up on eats isn't really viable soon but my hope was it would be by mid-july.
On the brightside I'm beekeeping in a well-stocked natural prairie so I may have some Midwestern samples to share in 6 months for a really nice Bee's Knees.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I find it strange that Krog/MSM/Ponce haven't worked out some kind of mutually assured pact on when to try opening back up amidst all this chaos today heading into Monday.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've been getting takeout from Little Bear and Rising Son every week. They my homies and I love them to death. Little Bear probably is the best option if you want to feel like you're having a really nice meal at home. Rising Son has been selling frozen biscuits with a fantastic strawberry jelly. It has been so nice to have fresh-baked biscuits during the week.

Other than that I've pretty much been supporting the places I have a real personal connection to, which are many. I'm probably going to pick up some BBQ from Socks Love BBQ up in Cumming either today or tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive, but these days I relish the opportunity to just drive and get some sun for a bit. Plus it's some good stuff and the people are good. If anyone goes, get the brisket and cowboy beans. And tell them to tell Steven that Rick sent you.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Me and the other four FOH staff are actually making enough off of to-go tips to survive, which is kind of nuts. Jarrett has been doing this thing where he gets in super-limited bottles of wine and sells them at like a 150% markup, and that markup goes to the staff as a bonus. People get to get their hands on rare wine, and they get to directly support us.

It is insane that Talat went ahead and opened instead of waiting. Judging by how fast they sold out I guess it was a smart move.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That's funny, I got Little Bear's prix fixe this week for the first time and really liked it. I need more eastern european food in my life. My wife and I agreed it's going in the weekly rotation. We've also been doing the prix fixe from Wonderkid every week and trying to hit up at least one of Supremo or Grindhouse or El Tesoro every week. And I've been trying to hit Chop Shop or Evergreen or Spotted Trotter at least once a week. I'm picking up an order from Little Tart tomorrow. So, basically, trying to get some money to all my usual, non-pandemic spots.

I ran across Little Bear because I did a dive on Eater Atlanta's lists plus some stuff people have been posting in work slack plus some stuff some industry friends have been mentioning plus instagram. I've been trying to put together a list of options that aren't our usual doordash/postmates/ubereats/grubhub go-tos. It's east side-centric but maybe some of y'all will find it helpful. Sounds like I need to add Talat's and Gaja and Rising Son to it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
gently caress yes, thank you.

Can we talk about Supremo real quick? Like I get what they’re doing, it’s tasty, but they’re charging four American dollars for one little-rear end taco on like a four-inch tortilla. Just unbelievably expensive for what is traditionally very accessible, working-class street food.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I definitely have not had enough Eastern European food. I wish is was more visibly represented. I always seem to enjoy it.

Along the same lines, I found a tiny Bosnian place, Neretva, up in Marietta, on Windy Hill near Cobb Parkway. The menu is super sparse and it's so very no frills, but I have thought it was great. The bread is kind of like a fatter pita. I think it is lepinja, but I'm not sure. The food comes with ajvar, which is an delicious red pepper based condiment, and what I think is sour cream, or something sour cream adjacent. I dig it and hope it survives through all this so I can eat that stuff again.

The strawberry dessert thing at Little Bear this week was fantastic. One of the best desserts Jarrett has done.

And yes, Supremo is kind of pricey for what you get.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I miss you guys and I miss eating out and I miss being a normal loving person and there is so much that I miss and goddammit I just wanna go to a goddamn bar and have to uber home.

gently caress.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

godzirraRAWR posted:

I miss you guys and I miss eating out and I miss being a normal loving person and there is so much that I miss and goddammit I just wanna go to a goddamn bar and have to uber home.

gently caress.

When all of this is over, I'm taking a tour down Buford Highway, and I'm going to eat dim sum and Korean food until I explode like the "one more cracker" guy.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm still in semi-disbelief that the Foodworks is going to open up more or less fully in the near future from what I gather.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

godzirraRAWR posted:

I miss being a normal loving person
Big same, all I want to do is bike carelessly between breweries with pals on a day off. All of you are voting in the runoffs or have already, yes?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone know a good Sushi place in Atlanta that's still open?

It's my sober anniversary and my girlfriend wants to take me out but I'm not really sure what's around these days.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyone know a good Sushi place in Atlanta that's still open?

It's my sober anniversary and my girlfriend wants to take me out but I'm not really sure what's around these days.

This place is VERY well reviewed and appears open: https://sushihayakawa.com/

I also like Eight and Umi.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Why not Brush Sushi Izakaya?
https://www.brushatl.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Hope you've all been doing well. Gonna be in town for a couple weeks for work! Where should I eat/drink?
Will probably get Little Bear. I'm working out of Duluth but I have a getaway car for early evening indulgences.