Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

While it uses the 2006 remasters of 2001, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut (which is also the uncensored version)... Barry Lyndon was never upgraded after the 2001 DVD that's 1.66:1 letterboxed instead of 16x9 enhanced.

Well, thanks for ruining my bad joke with useful information, jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Posted yesterday by Janus:
https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1067248037070807040

If they got back Ran, they'd effectively have the entire filmography of Akira Kurosawa.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

AKI
RAK
URO
SAW
A'S

CIN
EMA

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
When you look at the careers of Bergman and Kurosawa, is there anyone that prolific today that isn’t mainstream? Spielberg has made a lot of movies, but he’s not really a courageous director, technically or in his subject matter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

When you look at the careers of Bergman and Kurosawa, is there anyone that prolific today that isn’t mainstream? Spielberg has made a lot of movies, but he’s not really a courageous director, technically or in his subject matter.

Miike.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Depending on your definition of mainstream, Woody Allen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Depending on your definition of mainstream, Woody Allen.

Probably counts, because it's not like Bergman didn't have well-known films and plenty of notoriety at various points in his career. Like Bergman, Allen had moments when the public was paying a lot of attention to him but all through the quieter years he's continued to make movies.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Abel Ferrara

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kurosawa will absolutely be another filmmaker-centric masterworks set, especially since if they can get Ran, they'll absolutely be able to release his complete works in one box. Hell, they have already released all but three of his films on DVD or Blu-ray (The Quiet Duel, Derzu Uzula, and Rhapsody in August). I've spoken to B&N people before and they always have to constantly restock Kurosawa during the sales.

Chaplin and Lloyd also seem likely since their films are mostly centralized or with friendly parties, plus they've been slow to release their films.

Woody Allen probably wouldn't happen between his first film being with Kino and most of his United Artists, Orion, and Sony films being with Twilight Time. Though, a box set by decade would be nifty since there's little chance for extras, but he didn't object to Arrow's UK edition having a book of essays and interviews.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'm lukewarm on the Bergman set but I would buy the gently caress out of a definitive Kurosawa set.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm holding out for the definitive Samuel Fuller box.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I mean, if it's dreamboxes we're talking about:

WONG

KAR

WAI

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Didn't the old Kurosawa DVD set also sell out a la the Bergman set?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I blind bought True Stories. This movie owns. It really reminds me of The American Astronaut and Stingray Sam. Cory McAbe must have taken a lot of inspiration from it.

John Goodman singing the song to his date was hysterical.

Also, I always thought Jeans West was a fake place the King of the Hill writers made up until now. :monocle:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just blind bought True Stories and The Magnificent Ambersons. Two movies I've been meaning to watch for years and got ahold of right before they were announced. Then I decided to wait.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a bit of "What could have been" thing with Ambersons but even in its current state its still a pretty good movie.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
True Stories is one of my favorites and I've only ever seen the old pan and scan DVD, can't wait to see it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is One Eyed Jacks worth a blind buy? I love Westerns and I've been trying to see every film shot in VistaVision that I can get my hands on.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Is One Eyed Jacks worth a blind buy? I love Westerns and I've been trying to see every film shot in VistaVision that I can get my hands on.

It’s a neat film, even if a little messy in structure. Worth buying at least for Brando and the gorgeous VistaVision cinematography. Universal’s 4K restoration used the camera negative plus the yellow separation master to gain back the faded color. Same technique was used for Spartacus and North by Northwest.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
True Stories is so fuckin good

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Raxivace posted:

There's a bit of "What could have been" thing with Ambersons but even in its current state its still a pretty good movie.
It was definitely better than Kane until the last five minutes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gently caress yeah, they’re doing A Face in the Crowd per the newsletter clue.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Raxivace posted:

There are parts that are fantastic.

There are other parts where it's so completely obvious that it's outside of Welles vision it's remarkable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Good double feature with Sweet Smell of Success (or triple feature with The Comedian!).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm having a hell of a time finding copies of True Stories and The Magnificent Ambersons in stores. I'm almost ready to just have them shipped, but I'm going to be traveling all next week and won't get to see them until after :(

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Haven’t seen True Stories but am tempted to blind buy- is there much re-watch potential?

What are the odds of a Last Detail release? New restoration was playing by me recently- wonderful film and would round out their prime Ashby collection.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MystOpportunity posted:

Haven’t seen True Stories but am tempted to blind buy- is there much re-watch potential?

What are the odds of a Last Detail release? New restoration was playing by me recently- wonderful film and would round out their prime Ashby collection.

A) yes
B) you also get a soundtrack album

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MystOpportunity posted:

imagine instead of the faces on mount rushmore there was a huge carving of the word "YES"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched True Stories yesterday and I'm already itching to watch it again.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just saw David Byrne on his Australian tour and it's made me give serious thought to grabbing it blind before the sale ends. This is gonna push me over the edge.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MystOpportunity posted:

Still in print with Twilight Time, but when that goes OOP, Sony will probably make it a "MOD" disc like other former TT releases like Night of the Living Dead '90 and Oliver! - but Indicator UK has a near clone and it's region-free. I just ordered it in the Black Friday sale (along with Age of Consent, The Passenger, The Wild One, and The Front).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Me too. Watching the making of right now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh poo poo, yessss.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I, Butthole posted:

I just saw David Byrne on his Australian tour and it's made me give serious thought to grabbing it blind before the sale ends. This is gonna push me over the edge.

I saw him in September and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I don't know anything about True Stories but you guys are making me want to get it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I want everyone here to know that I picked up Hiroshima, Mon Amour yesterday because that movie owns.

RIP Filmstruck.

Thanks for reading.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I want everyone here to know that I picked up Hiroshima, Mon Amour yesterday because that movie owns.

RIP Filmstruck.

Thanks for reading.

I'll be honest, Hiroshima Mon Amour did absolutely nothing for me. All French New Wave continues to absolutely elude me, although I've got Breathless (non Criterion) sitting here that I haven't yet got around to, and that seems to be the turning point for a lot of people.

Anyone have decent entry points for French New Wave? I really appreciate the contributions it had to cinema, but I just really, really can't click with the films themselves.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The 400 Blows is probably the best of the early new wave films, followed by Breathless.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

The 400 Blows is probably the best of the early new wave films, followed by Breathless.

I’d also put Jules et Jim up there.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

"French New Wave" covers a vast array of styles. Rohmer is nothing like Godard, Resnais is nothing like Truffaut. I say just seek out the ones that sound appealing to you.

Really surprised by all the praise for True Stories. I haven't seen it since it came out, but even as a huge Talking Heads fan I found it pretty dull, condescending, and pointlessly quirky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Haven’t seen a ton of new wave stuff but Cléo From 5 to 7 is my favorite and one I’d recommend to anyone having trouble with some of the others