Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anyone explain Konnan's fashion sense in WCW?

90s hip hop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anyone explain Konnan's fashion sense in WCW?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholo#Fashion_stereotypes

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Good Listener posted:

This guy absolutely wrote his own wiki page didn't he?

Lol yeah, I was in the “Pro Wrestling Revolution” school/fed named in that article, and his grandiose Wikipedia page was a running joke among the workers. I had no idea it had achieved infamy outside our little circle!

I accidentally pinned him clean once due to a botch; that was fun :haw:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Which wrestlers are anti-vax?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TTBF posted:

Which wrestlers are anti-vax?

Easier answer is probably who isn't anti-vax.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

who isn't anti-vax.

The ones whose kids are alive.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

The ones whose kids are alive.

so Ric Flair is anti-vax?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

Owwwwwwww

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

exploded mummy posted:

Sadly, the problem there wasn't a fear of injections.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

yikes

Jerusalem posted:

Sadly, the problem there wasn't a fear of injections.
YIKES

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's one of those :lol:...:smith: kinda posts.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Last night's RAW got me thinking: is there a general consensus of the worst RAWs of the various eras (New Generation, Attitude, Ruthless Aggression, present day, etc)?

I feel like there were some real stinkers from '09-'12 and maybe even the last year or so. Welcome to all takes.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Last night's RAW got me thinking: is there a general consensus of the worst RAWs of the various eras (New Generation, Attitude, Ruthless Aggression, present day, etc)?

I feel like there were some real stinkers from '09-'12 and maybe even the last year or so. Welcome to all takes.

Some of the Guest Host Era episodes from 2009 and 2010 were horrible.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
was last night the worst raw of this generation? I thought one of the shows a few months back was worse than this one.

this just felt like one of the mediocre raws with a topping of "gently caress your favorites its heel night"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

fatherofmustard posted:

Some of the Guest Host Era episodes from 2009 and 2010 were horrible.

I had stopped tuning in around the time of the Benoit tragedy, then tried getting back into it during the Guest Hose Era. Holy poo poo. It finally took NXT and Wrestlemania XXX years later to get me to start watching again.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Was Zack Gowen ever in a Royal Rumble? Technically he can't be eliminated right?

Feel free to Segway this question into weird wrestling rules in general.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Was Zack Gowen ever in a Royal Rumble? Technically he can't be eliminated right?

His other leg is touching the floor somewhere.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
remember when wcw made top rope moves illegal for a year in like 1993 and it was terrible and got the armin tanzarian treatment

some one should have brought that up to drew gulak.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anybody have the link to the HOF thread when Sting went in?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

remember when wcw made top rope moves illegal for a year in like 1993 and it was terrible and got the armin tanzarian treatment

some one should have brought that up to drew gulak.

Actually that made me wonder, has that rule ever been brought up since then to hinder one of the wrestlers in a story line? Like they somehow get a rule passed that the high flyer can’t high fly for one match

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Actually that made me wonder, has that rule ever been brought up since then to hinder one of the wrestlers in a story line? Like they somehow get a rule passed that the high flyer can’t high fly for one match

Next week on Raw, Baron Corbin vs Jeff Hardy

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cagematch has bunch of them (not in WWE):
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=...e=Multi&worker=

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't there a match where Stephanie McMahon DQed someone for using a closed fist? I don't remember who was even in that match or anything else about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Having just watched three Royal Rumbles in a row, my "in universe" question is simple. Why don't the super heavyweights just sit in the corner? Try picking Mark Henry or Big Show up from the ground and throwing them over the ropes.

Also was 2018 the first time a big guy actually held on after being put over the ropes? Or maybe it was 2017, sorry. Henry still got eliminated but he wasn't just dumped over like most big guys. He actually held on for a few seconds. Same for Show, I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TV Zombie posted:

Is that a compliment to LA Park or a condemnation of his kid?

Yes?

Its more of an evaluation of Hijo, I guess. I'd never seen him before and I've seen him wrestle Yuta and Guevarra. I didn't really know what to expect from the guy but in a lot of ways he's kind of just a skinnier copy of his dad. Which is fine. I haven't seen Park wrestle in years but I saw him vs Pentagon and he didn't blow me away but seemed like he could keep it up. But I guess I was expecting Hijo to be faster or sloppier or something better or worse than his dad and the fact that I probably wouldn't tell the difference if not for the weight struck me as kind of surprising.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Do you like wrestling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

Having just watched three Royal Rumbles in a row, my "in universe" question is simple. Why don't the super heavyweights just sit in the corner? Try picking Mark Henry or Big Show up from the ground and throwing them over the ropes.

It means a lot of free shots from their opponents. Unless you're dealing with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar from Game of Death.

quote:

Also was 2018 the first time a big guy actually held on after being put over the ropes? Or maybe it was 2017, sorry. Henry still got eliminated but he wasn't just dumped over like most big guys. He actually held on for a few seconds. Same for Show, I think.

Back in 2010, Big Show skinned the cat.

The first instance of a big guy holding on outside the ring I can recall is 1995. The spot was supposed to be King Kong Bundy trying to throw Mabel out with Mabel holding on to the apron just long enough for Lex Luger to enter the match and flip them both out at the same time. Instead, Mabel could only hold on for so long and simply fell to the floor. Luger then ran out and flipped just Bundy to the outside.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Aesop Poprock posted:

In WWE it has usually been a more overt tactic to screw over a face.

- Seth (w/ The Authority) vs Orton in an "RKOs are illegal" match (Seth won by using an illegal RKO when the ref wasn't looking)

- HBK vs Orton in a "Superkicks are illegal" match

- Edge retroactively losing a match and title since Vicki Guerrero had banned the spear (I think they did the same angle with Taker's hell's gate too)

I'm sure there were plenty of others.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There was a brief time in WCW where they panned the top rope elbow for a Macho/Nash feud.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So how exactly did Vince's "oh yeah give me your tapes and I'll promote your guys!" scheme back in the territory days work?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

So how exactly did Vince's "oh yeah give me your tapes and I'll promote your guys!" scheme back in the territory days work?

You know how people do work for exposure?

It was like that, but with giving Vince tapes.

Then Vince would use his Actually Having Money to get the stars from said tapes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/822142365532098560

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
The raw with the Bliss/Bayley This is your Life promo I think was one of worst things I've ever seen on TV. With the exception of random NXT Takeovers I Haven't watched anything from WWE since.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Do you dislike wrestling.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The jackknife being banned was a thing back in the nwo days

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the feedback but I was specifically talking about Watts style banning of highflying moves. I know about piledrivers being banned and what-not for storylines

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Cavauro posted:

Do you dislike wrestling.

I wish I didn't.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There's no singular WORST episode of 96 Raw I can point to, but the whole post Wrestlemania period is pretty bad. Bret is on hiatus, Razor and Diesel jump ship, and loving Warrior is back.

Shawn isn't really that great a babyface champ yet and gets visibly pissed off when he gets boos. They bring in his mentor Jose Lethario to get him more sympathy, but it's just the standard thing where the old guy gets beat on for heat. On the heel side, WWF has no clue how to book Vader, leading to your main events having to be carried by stuff like Shawn & Ahmed Johnson vs Camp Cornette.

The tag division is a mess. The only over person is Sunny as she jumps from team to team. The crowd cheers for her but sits in silence otherwise during numerous Bodydonna/Smoking Gunns/Godwinns matches.

The rest of the midcard is rounded out by Marc Mero being overshadowed by his wife, Savio Vega, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Jake Roberts, Goldust, etc. The bright spots are of course Austin coming into his own and Mankind debuting, although his first few matches with Taker suck. It would turn around in the fall especially with Bret back, but Summer 96 Raw sucked.

Meanwhile on the other channel you had the nWo debuting.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Woodchip posted:

The jackknife being banned was a thing back in the nwo days

I think Nash got arrested in the ring for doing one.

And I think it started as "Powerbombs are banned", but nobody either told the cruiserweights or, more likely, didn't care about them, so almost every cruiserweight match still had a powerbomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think the storyline was around Nash breaking someone's neck specifically with the Jackknife because he was too heavy and not 190 pound luchadores doing powerbombs to each other