Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if JCVD's talent at movie fighting is more attributable to his experience in ballet than in martial arts.

Oh yeah. Ballet dancers are elite athletes, even though we tend not to think of them that way. I did ballet and kyokushin karate simultaneously as a kid. Karate was much easier, or, rather, Ballet was much harder.

James Woods Fan posted:

I really don't like this Morel dudes action films. They are very sanitized R rated affairs. I was confused by the lack of good squibs in a lot of Peppermint. So many times a bad guy just drops, and when Garner shoot someone in the face point blank with a shotgun it just creates a small impact that you see for half a second. The Gunman and Taken had the same problems. It's as though the director feels just the act of shooting a gun is cool, and no thought is really given to impact. Also he somehow manages to make action films without a single memorable action beat.

When Garner takes out hammer and nails I immediately thought "They're not going to show her putting them in" and sure enough you don't. Just really bland violence that would be really easy to edit into a PG-13.

/sadist

Huge chunks of Peppermint, like, most of the interesting parts, happen off screen. And then it manages to have an ending that's bad and toothless, even for a vigilante film, which tend to flub the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The new robin hood has a few decent action scenes, like the arrow gatling guns. It's like zorro crossed with BlackHawk Down

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Zero Dark Loxley

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Buybust is on Netflix. Filipino drug murder movie. I have mixed feelings about watching it since I'm worried it'll glorify Duterte's policies, but...it's meant to be good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had to pause The Night Comes for Us about an hour in because... there was too much action? I dunno if I should just get out of the thread but it felt like int the first half maybe like 10 minutes didn't involve random mooks getting owned and it just kind of blends in all together after a while. Finished the second half and it was fun, but imo there's no reason it had to be two hours long, sometimes less is more.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmxccBt1FE

I know that the budget for these movies is whatever money Vince McMahon can find in his sofa cushions, but how on earth can you have a fight scene between two trained wrestlers and have it look so bad?
Because wrestling matches also looks bad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

mobby_6kl posted:

I had to pause The Night Comes for Us about an hour in because... there was too much action? I dunno if I should just get out of the thread but it felt like int the first half maybe like 10 minutes didn't involve random mooks getting owned and it just kind of blends in all together after a while. Finished the second half and it was fun, but imo there's no reason it had to be two hours long, sometimes less is more.

The writing and story are pretty much garbage but I thought it was worth it for the action, particularly the final fight. I think I rewound it twice. It's on par with Rama vs. Karambit Dude in the Kitchen in The Raid II. I'll agree though, there was no reason for it to be two hours. I didn't have nearly enough meat on its bones to support that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Buybust is on Netflix. Filipino drug murder movie. I have mixed feelings about watching it since I'm worried it'll glorify Duterte's policies, but...it's meant to be good.

There's a 'long take' action scene that popped up as the preview on Netflix. It was impressively bad. Just, like, high school student film level bad choreography, where the hero visibly hits them with no power at all and they launch themselves twenty feet. It's on my list, but that was not promising.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a 'long take' action scene that popped up as the preview on Netflix. It was impressively bad. Just, like, high school student film level bad choreography, where the hero visibly hits them with no power at all and they launch themselves twenty feet. It's on my list, but that was not promising.

Yea they hosed up by choosing that for the preview clip because it killed my desire to watch it immediately.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

Because wrestling matches also looks bad.

Youtube "hardy boys tables ladders and chairs" :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

It still doesn't pass for guys actually fighting each other for real. People who watch wrestling come into it already understanding that what they're going to see isn't realistic on any level. Movie audiences often aren't so generous.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

I did and all I saw was a kinda chubby guy carefully position a ladder before slowly climbing it. Thrilling stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

People who watch wrestling come into it already understanding that what they're going to see isn't realistic on any level. Movie audiences often aren't so generous.
Mainstream movie audiences are quite forgiving of bad filming and choreography.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Mainstream movie audiences are quite forgiving of bad filming and choreography.

They are, and maybe you're not very experienced with pro wrestling and it's fans/fan culture, but it's a whooooole other level of generosity. The amount of intelligence insulting garbage that wrestling fans have to swallow on a yearly basis is insane.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I solve all those problems by watching Lucha Underground, the wrestling promo that takes all the best guys from other promos and puts them into insane matches at the top of their game. Oh and the plot is basically Mexicali-Aztec Mortal Kombat.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea they hosed up by choosing that for the preview clip because it killed my desire to watch it immediately.

I'm struggling through it right now . It's not very good. Pretty boring, even.

EDIT- Managed to finish it, it's not really worth watching unless you want to see a bunch of dumpy housewives get beat up and electrocuted set to some punk riffs.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 26, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

They are, and maybe you're not very experienced with pro wrestling and it's fans/fan culture, but it's a whooooole other level of generosity. The amount of intelligence insulting garbage that wrestling fans have to swallow on a yearly basis is insane.

Its like live theater audiences - you know they cant just re-do a take dozens of times to get it right, so just relax and appreciate the effort

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Buybust's one take sequence was fuckawful.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

James Woods Fan posted:

Buybust's one take sequence was fuckawful.

I don't know why they'd even attempt something like that with marginal talent. Even when Tony Jaa does it in The Protector I'm not a huge fan, you can tell that the choreography is simplified to allow for the one-take format. And that's Tony Jaa, don't think you're gonna pull it off with actors inexperienced in fight choreography.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The stunt work is what makes that scene for me. Tony's stuff is cool, but I think the real stars are dudes he hurls off the balcony and blasts through doors.

Them and the cameraman himself.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know why they'd even attempt something like that with marginal talent. Even when Tony Jaa does it in The Protector I'm not a huge fan, you can tell that the choreography is simplified to allow for the one-take format. And that's Tony Jaa, don't think you're gonna pull it off with actors inexperienced in fight choreography.

Yeah one-take action sequences are really hard to pull off. Look at the one in BvS, while I love the visuals the actual choreography is pretty floaty. And they had a gazillion dollars for that poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I turned Buybust off after about half an hr. Disappointing because the review on cityonfire.com was positive iirc and usually I can trust them...

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
What didn't you like?

Also, I've never heard of that site. Thanks for the bookmark!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of extended take fight scenes. The mechanical and practical demands of filming a scene like that kills the rhythmn. Despite being a man fighting his way up a tower, that scene is sedate, even though I know it took an enormous amount of energy and skill to execute. Apparently the real isuse was the cameraman getting tired.

But I honestly can't think of a single long take action film that's actually as good as the best, more conventionally edited scenes. They're certainly impressive, but not actually as good.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah one-take action sequences are really hard to pull off. Look at the one in BvS, while I love the visuals the actual choreography is pretty floaty. And they had a gazillion dollars for that poo poo.

Especially compared to what the same team pulled off later in the same movie: the Batman fight scene everyone's had in their heads since they were 7.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Especially compared to what the same team pulled off later in the same movie: the Batman fight scene everyone's had in their heads since they were 7.

Yes as a guy who wanted to make movies once upon a time, even my amateur rear end learned that having the actors do a 40 second fight broken up by cuts vs a 20 second fight with no cuts is an easy choice. The 20 second fight is about 300x harder.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

A series that has interesting fight coreography to me is The Matrix. The complicated nature of it, paired with the fact that it’s well-documented that the actors performed a great deal of it is impressive. But it’s a weird kind of coreography that runs counter to most other movies: there are actually very few direct blows landed. I rewatched the first flick last year and was struck by how much of it is blocking and countering, with very little impact (unless the attacker is going up against a goon level enemy).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

A series that has interesting fight coreography to me is The Matrix. The complicated nature of it, paired with the fact that it’s well-documented that the actors performed a great deal of it is impressive. But it’s a weird kind of coreography that runs counter to most other movies: there are actually very few direct blows landed. I rewatched the first flick last year and was struck by how much of it is blocking and countering, with very little impact (unless the attacker is going up against a goon level enemy).

Makes sense given that it's two programs interacting, since no martial arts are actually learned, and are instead downloaded directly into the fighters. So it's a machine code version of Tae Kwon Do fighting a machine code version of Tiger Kung Fu.

Also, it's pretty common in most kung fu films.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes as a guy who wanted to make movies once upon a time, even my amateur rear end learned that having the actors do a 40 second fight broken up by cuts vs a 20 second fight with no cuts is an easy choice. The 20 second fight is about 300x harder.

Jackie Chan's scenes tend to be made up of short, very intense bursts, and they're amazing. Because each little exchange or stanza can be perfected.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 28, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Demtor posted:

What didn't you like?

Also, I've never heard of that site. Thanks for the bookmark!
The action just seemed a bit amateurish and it didn't 'ring true'. It's hard to explain since it's not like most of my favourite action films are remotely realistic, but there seemed to be a lack of weight in what I saw of Buybust. There's a pretty poorly filmed shootout where I think they're attempting to make it seem chaotic and confusing - they only succeeded in making it look like disconnected actors were shooting aimlessly. Maybe I was in a bad mood when I watched it.

cityonfire is worth checking out every couple of weeks since they're pretty dedicated to covering new releases that won't get much coverage on most English speaking sites and sometimes they have interesting features about martial arts legends etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

A series that has interesting fight coreography to me is The Matrix. The complicated nature of it, paired with the fact that it’s well-documented that the actors performed a great deal of it is impressive. But it’s a weird kind of coreography that runs counter to most other movies: there are actually very few direct blows landed.

It's true, but conversely it also sells big time power when they do connect. That part with Agent Smith vs Morpheus when Morpheus gets hit, falls, and cracks the sink on the way down is absolutely brutal in context.

I also *think* the Matrix does the weird thing from Kung Fu movies where the kicks come up short sometimes. Like, no dodging or repositioning, a dude just throws a big powerful spinning kick and hits nothing but air while his/her opponent stands there and doesn't capitalize on it.

The Matrix is interesting to me because the violence is so "video game" and deliberately a bit floaty so that when they actually shoot it straight (Morpheus getting shot in the ankle, "dodge this", Agent Smith's glasses get broke) it's very impactful. I would have said it's MORE impactful than if they went for brutal beatdowns constantly but I don't think I believe that anymore; The Night Comes For Us is 90 Minutes of Brutal Hits and Finishers and they still had me wincing 'til the end. Of course that runs into a different problem where you wonder how the combatants keep going after getting hit with knockout blows a dozen times. I like both ways.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 28, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Morpheus' fight scene with Smith in the bathroom is one of my favourites. It's brutal and filmed in an enclosed space, yet it's still comprehensible, impactful, and believable within its context.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The kung fu is awesome in The Matrix because they hired Yuen Woo-ping as a fight choreographer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FancyMike posted:

The kung fu is awesome in The Matrix because they hired Yuen Woo-ping as a fight choreographer.

Don't underestimate how much impact filming it properly has. I got to interview Debbie Evans last year, a longtime stunt driver who's worked on pretty much everything (she's currently Michelle Rodriguez's stunt drive for the FnF films) and she was Trinity on the bike for the big chase. And she said it's still her favourite sequence of hers because it was shot properly. It doesn't matter how spectacular or well choreographed a scene is if it's shot like poo poo. See all the Marvel movies, for instance.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Obviously both are important I just figured it’s important to mention the guy who choreographed it when the conversation started with a comment on that choreography. If you’re gonna have Keanu say “I know kung fu” and kick rear end there better be someone who knows some loving kung fu doing the fights and the Wachowskis made the right choice by getting one of the best.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There was a one take fight in BvS? Not Batman vs the goons, right? I remember a lot of cuts but it was shot pretty ok.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There was a one take fight in BvS? Not Batman vs the goons, right? I remember a lot of cuts but it was shot pretty ok.

During the Knightmare sequence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

During the Knightmare sequence.

Yea it's a decent fight but the weaknesses of it are pretty glaring when you put it in the same movie as the warehouse scene. The speed and fluidity of the warehouse fight is on an entirely other level.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The wizard who summoned me put a geas on me so that I can't praise BvS in any more threads, but Snyder knows how to film a fight without cutting it to poo poo. IIRC the fight coordinators he works with are pretty orthodox tournament karate guys, so there's little or none of that gimmicky sorta-wing-chun sorta-kali stuff in his films.

Not that that stuff can't be good; the fight scenes were the only really good part of Chrysalis. But it became a fad that just went on for years, probably because it's easy for productions that have a big budget, but not the talent or the time to shoot great action.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I totally forgot that was a one shot. Was it not in the theatrical cut? I've seen both it and the Ultimate cut once each.

One thing I still don't really get about the Knightmare scene is this, was Superman working for Darkseid? Because those were parademons backing up the Superman soldiers, right? And in what scenario does Superman think Batman took "her" from him, whether "her" refers to Martha or Lois? Like, it doesn't seem like that's a possible future avoided by Batman due to foreknowledge. He was never going to go after Martha or Lois, and I don't know why Superman would be working with Darkseid. Maybe he defeats Darkseid and takes over his army?

I like the movie, and love the visuals in that scene, but I've never entirely understood what was going on there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's a decent fight but the weaknesses of it are pretty glaring when you put it in the same movie as the warehouse scene. The speed and fluidity of the warehouse fight is on an entirely other level.

Yeah, the part of it that works is the spinning camera slowly revealing the Parademons showing up, it has a creepy and disorienting feeling. The action choreography itself is pretty lacklustre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Like Solo, Justice League shows all the signs of being edited/reshot into a completely different movie. There are whole scenes that go nowhere, foreshadowing dialogue that gets tied off in a such a way as to make it irrelevant in the first place...I don't know if it's even fruitful to try to figure it out.

Like, one clear example is how Bruce Wayne affects a very nonchalant attitude as he visits various superdudes saying "I'm putting a team together" when the premise of the finished film is that he only has a few days to save the planet.