Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I mean that article has a valid point though, the conclusion is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
"Maybe it’s on us to stop demanding to see the ends of it, and just see what we can see."

Here's what I see on December 26: F&B in the Barnes and Noble discount bin between an anthology of Sulawesi tide schedules and a retrospective on the 2015 women's college basketball season.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
oh no you mean he's not gonna be able to deliver another half of a bad book with the climax left out that makes you slowly die as you read it? woe is us

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
ASOIAF fans are their own worst enemies.

Stop buying his other poo poo!

Consumer economics is easy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Next he'll release the first half of a Dunk and Egg story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

B&N: "please care about this other poo poo we need to sell because even if this fat gently caress finishes the next book we'll be out of business by then"

i will miss them more than the next book

buuut i don't really buy books there much so if i want to do an old man yells at cloud screed here i have to be upset with myself :smithcloud:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm glad that Chapters/Indigo/Coles seem to still be doing well here in Canadia. I'd be sad if big book stores went away!!

That said I love going into lil locally owned places to find cool poo poo so it wouldn't be the end of the world I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I only buy artisinal handmade books

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyway, if y'all want to read *good* books there's still a few hours left to sign up for the Secret Santa

plz see thread title. all we would be doing is regifting our copies of A Feast For Crows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao like i'd give away my fave asoiaf book

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hieronymous did say good books.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Lycus posted:

Next he'll release the first half of a Dunk and Egg story.

When you realize where he got the name of the characters...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

...motherfucker :aaaaa:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is he dead yet?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What is GRRM can never die.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

We're coming at last to the end of the GRRM Thinkpiece Article Cycle:

Barnes & Noble: George R. R. Martin Might Never Finish A Song of Ice and Fire, and That’s OK

Seriously, this is one hell of a pro-read in how far up its own rear end it goes in several new and different ways of drivel.

This article is terrible yet somehow the comments below it manage to be even worse.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a shame Lampy is in the posting klink for being a dipshit because he would have had a field day with how dumb that article was. Or posted about Gormenghast or some other poo poo no one cares about. Who knows :iiam:

The real book that was never finished but it's okay is Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood and it's a tragedy to think some sucker write an ending for it.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
The new book has a character named Septon Moone who has sex with virgin girls every night, the smallfolk considered it a blessing to let him gently caress their daughters and wives, and his followers symbol is a giant cock. Moone's followers also carry clubs carved to look like dicks, and it's considered good luck to be touched/beaten with the heads of the dick clubs.

Marijuana fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 28, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
if getting owned by a massive dick head brought good luck this thread would be full of lottery winners

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAEONClXQc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always forget how good the first three books/seasons of this were.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They both should’ve ended at the red wedding.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's funny how nearly everything in the outline was done in some form in the first three books. He really tried to garden four more books.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
He had a built in apocalypse for when he ran out of interesting story and didn't even use it. Just make it book four and be done with it instead of worrying about timeskips and Mayor Dany.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It could've been a really cool story about the politics of this one continent facing annihilation if dany and the whole rest of the world were just not there at all.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

"Cool" may be taking things a little too far.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

We're coming at last to the end of the GRRM Thinkpiece Article Cycle:

Barnes & Noble: George R. R. Martin Might Never Finish A Song of Ice and Fire, and That’s OK

Seriously, this is one hell of a pro-read in how far up its own rear end it goes in several new and different ways of drivel.

What do they mean "might not" ?

he definitely wont

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marijuana posted:

The new book has a character named Septon Moone who has sex with virgin girls every night, the smallfolk considered it a blessing to let him gently caress their daughters and wives, and his followers symbol is a giant cock. Moone's followers also carry clubs carved to look like dicks, and it's considered good luck to be touched/beaten with the heads of the dick clubs.

I'm never gonna buy his piece of poo poo book - can anyone post some of this wonderful literature.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know - I predicted a ways back that no matter how little of the book was done, his publishers would drop Winds before the show finale. But now that that date is creeping up - I'm not so sure. The finale will be in May 2019. They need at least some time to proof / ship the book. So if I were the publisher, and I was going to knowingly publish an unfinished piece of poo poo, I'd do something like:

Nov1: First draft delivered to publisher
Jan 1: Announce presales
March 1: Book in stores
April 1: Season premier
May 15: Season Finale

That lets you build on the TV hype and get a full 3+ months of presales before season starts, plus 6 weeks of hard hitting advertising while show is going on.

Clearly that isn't going to happen. I'm going to say it is a minimum of 4 months from announcement to book release. That is where you break down, realize poo poo isn't happening. you scramble for 1 month to get it in shape - announce, and send to printers. I'm pretty sure you have a 2-3 month turn around on stuff like that. But maybe it is different now. Similarly, hitting a "reset" date on walmart was also critical ( you needed to make sure you got on shelves by a certain date ). But that has probably changed too. Anyone have information on modern publishing timelines?

next "ok" schedule:

Feb 1: Book release date announced
April 1: Book in stores
April 1: Season premier
May 15: Season Finale

"we're not happy with it" schedule

March 1: Book announced
April 1: Season Starts
May 15: season Finale - book in stores soon, order now!

gently caress it who cares schedule:

April 1: season starts. You announce book ready, July date, start preorder process.
July: Delay until and then have it in stores Dec 1 2020.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Actual schedule

April 1: season begins

Heat death of the universe: book announced as delayed again

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm reading The Sandman Omnibus because Fire and Blood is just so cringe inducing.

He's gone full George Lucas and clearly needs an editor and an executive that will slap him and say "no, George, that's loving stupid".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm reading The Sandman Omnibus because Fire and Blood is just so cringe inducing.

He's gone full George Lucas and clearly needs an editor and an executive that will slap him and say "no, George, that's loving stupid".

Yep

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My brain can't grasp that I put down a GRRM book.

I plowed through ADWD savoring every incredibly stupid moment, reaching a dumbfuck crescendo of Dany going Dany all over the grass sea.

F&B is so loving dumb it's not even fun to hate-read.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Actual schedule

May 15: season finale
May 16: gurm admits hes no longer working on asoiaf story
May 16, an hour later: noone cares

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Actual schedule

May 16: gurm admits hes no longer working on asoiaf story
Yeah that's the one. He's gonna go off and enjoy his twilight years having achieved massive success either way, why bother?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

people, i'm pretty sure that an illustration of aegon II in f & B is a trace of matt smith's dr. who with a goatee and a crown.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

this is one of the shittiest hardcovers i own that isn't a wheel of time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I can't believe you people actually bought fire and blood. What were you expecting?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jit bull transpile posted:

I can't believe you people actually bought fire and blood. What were you expecting?

Probably the same thing I"m expecting if WoW comes out. I'll buy it, hate it, bitch about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Actual schedule

May 16: gurm hints as HBO spin off, complains about ending of show - implying he's done it differently, announces new wild cards, nightflyers something something, 2 new projects and a movie night

like that maybe tho